Fabulous Final Fantasy Franchise Discussion Catch-all

It looks like XV is getting added to Xbox Game Pass tomorrow. I didn't get very far in it when I tried it before, but I'll give it another spin for free*. Any tips when just starting out? Looking for things like "only do story quests until chapter XYZ" or "make sure you find all the such-and-such before leaving the starting area".

hbi2k wrote:

So I've been playing Final Fantasy XII on Switch, it being one of those games that I bounced off of back in the day, but I hear a lot of people really liked if they got further into it then I did.

I'm maybe half a dozen hours in (the in-game counter says 10, but I'm fairly sure I've left it idling on menus for quite a long time).

Question: does the plot ever start making sense? Does it ever become clear who the hell any of these characters are and what they want?

Because so far, stuff just kind of... happens. If the game expects me to care about any of these people, it's done a pretty poor job of giving me a reason.

garion333 wrote:

The story is about the world and its politics and less so character development and emotional attachment. Vaan grows up a bit, but that's really it.

I'm actually replaying it atm and enjoying the ride. I've never been overly fond of Vaan but do enjoy the Gambit system.

hbi2k wrote:

I mean, I can't say I've found the world and its politics particularly interesting yet either. I gather there's an empire who are kind of dicks, and another rival empire that we haven't seen much of yet. Most of the playable characters seem to kinda-sorta be part of some kind of resistance movement? I guess? And I guess there was something about a secret twin assassinating a king and pinning it on his brother for some reason? One lady who was a party member for a while is a secret princess, and the game treats that like a big important reveal, but I don't know why it matters.

I dunno, it's throwing a LOT of proper nouns at me, but it's not giving me much reason to care whether the people of Vertiform City can throw off the tyranny of House Atreides or whatever. I can barely keep straight who's working for whom and who's double-crossing which faction, let alone care.

I dropped the game, like a rock. I was thoroughly enjoying myself until I wasn't. The dungeon design began to bore me to tears. The rough, PS2 edges haven't been sanded off and I began playing The Witcher 3 again and found myself unable to go back to XII.

Also, in case it hasn't been said anywhere in this thread: Rabanastre has the worst door design of all time. Looking for a door to a place? They all look the same and are recessed back in alcoves, out of the way of easy view.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

It looks like XV is getting added to Xbox Game Pass tomorrow. I didn't get very far in it when I tried it before, but I'll give it another spin for free*. Any tips when just starting out? Looking for things like "only do story quests until chapter XYZ" or "make sure you find all the such-and-such before leaving the starting area".

Try to hit enemies from behind, you can tackle hunts pretty far above your level if you pay attention to weapon/elemental weaknesses, and don't be afraid to just mainline the story when you get bored.

I put a lot of points into boosting magic spells, which made a lot of encounters really trivial. The Royal Edition gives you a bunch of items which make your bros immune to your magic attacks, but if you don't equip those, magic can be a lot trickier since you'll be roasting your friends as much as the enemies.

You get -ra and -aga level spells from adding in consumable items when you craft magic spells. I don't think the game did a good job of explaining that. You create a spell by expending the elemental stuff you collect near campgrounds, but you can also add it potions and other items to create a lot of extra effects, from damage boosts, to other supplementary effects. I had a lot of fun playing around with that, and it gives you a reason to use the consumables you'd otherwise just hoard "just in case."

The side quests are just dull fetch quests, so no real narrative meat there. I'd also not spend too much time on them until you get a chocobo. It makes hoofing it to objective areas a lot easier.

beanman101283 wrote:

You get -ra and -aga level spells from adding in consumable items when you craft magic spells. I don't think the game did a good job of explaining that. You create a spell by expending the elemental stuff you collect near campgrounds, but you can also add it potions and other items to create a lot of extra effects, from damage boosts, to other supplementary effects. I had a lot of fun playing around with that, and it gives you a reason to use the consumables you'd otherwise just hoard "just in case."

I was going to mention this thing about using items to boost spells, but you beat me to it! I was at least halfway through the game before I stumbled on this fact. I thought I was just stupid, but maybe I'm not the only one if the game actually did a bad job explaining it. It was a good idea though by the devs as a way for you to use up those hoarded consumables.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

It looks like XV is getting added to Xbox Game Pass tomorrow. I didn't get very far in it when I tried it before, but I'll give it another spin for free*. Any tips when just starting out? Looking for things like "only do story quests until chapter XYZ" or "make sure you find all the such-and-such before leaving the starting area".

You play games differently than me, and as you know, I can write pages about Final Fantasy XV; so I'll keep this as brief as I can, and specific to what I think might help your enjoyment:

(1) Unlike most Final Fantasy games, nothing of value is permanently missable. You will occasionally be pulled into linear sections away from the open world, but you never have to worry "OMG I need to steal the Ultima materia from this boss" or "sell this and you can never craft the best shield" or "don't open the third and fifth chests in the sewers or the Tiger Spear vanishes" or any of that crap. Don't stress about missing anything; you can't and won't.

(2) There is an "easy mode" if you can't be arsed, and you can turn it on/off at any time. I found the game easy (never saw "Game Over" except in some post-endgame optional sections) but not everyone will click with it, or want to hit every sidequest.

(3) Give "Wait Mode" as well as "Active Mode" a try. They are very different experiences, depending on whether you want an action game or a tactical one.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

It looks like XV is getting added to Xbox Game Pass tomorrow. I didn't get very far in it when I tried it before, but I'll give it another spin for free*. Any tips when just starting out? Looking for things like "only do story quests until chapter XYZ" or "make sure you find all the such-and-such before leaving the starting area".

On one hand I feel like there's not really a lot I can recommend. On the other I feel like there actually is a bunch, but it really depends on player feel.

You might want to just do the first few major missions without much time wasted on side quests early on, because for a while Ignis isn't going to want to let you drive anywhere. That way you spend less time in "tutorial time" and can get to the free roaming as soon as possible.

But then what do you recommend when it comes to camping vs. Galdin Quay? My first playthrough I would save up experience and cash and then get double the points with a single night spent at Galdin Quay. However, this meant less time spent at camp, which meant less time spent getting the additional character interactions. When I began a new playthrough last year I decided to stick just to camping, and... boy howdy, yeah, leveling up feels slow when you do that. So it's a really weird pay-off and is exemplary of the game's design that sometimes runs counter to its intentions.

When it comes to combat, if you do decide on Active Mode, my recommendation is to not stay in the middle of combat too long. Noctis draws aggro really fast, so it's better to jump in, get some strikes in, then warp out to a high point for some restoration, a better look at the battlefield, and a new target to select and warp strike to, perhaps then calling on one of your comrade's abilities. This basic strategy is how I found combat to be pretty entertaining and fulfilling enough to enjoy the different monster hunting quests, but it doesn't really get any deeper than that with few exceptions.

Clearly that's not how others played the game, though, and the basic complaint of the game being "easy" is... well, it kind of can be, yeah. It's like the original Assassin's Creed. If you learned the depths of its combat inside and out, you could wipe the floor with enemies in record time. But you didn't need to, and therefore no one bothered to.

Really though, I don't really know what to say in terms of recommendations. Especially since you won't be playing the same version of the game I did at launch. I had a blast doing monster hunts even if they weren't all that interesting (and in certain locations, were a pain to keep traveling too and from the job board). But I understand why others would avoid that content, for the most part.

Is there a way I can check how many threads garion333 has posted Witcher plugs in?

Dakuna wrote:

Is there a way I can check how many threads garion333 has posted Witcher plugs in?

333 threads. His name is actually a counter.

? Am I overloading Witcher 3 on everyone? I don't even really like the series that much. They're narratively great games set in a world I don't like with a main character who is okay enough with combat that's generally awful. Being called out for plugging it is odd to me.

I am stoked that the Switch version will be getting a decent update because it's ugly AF and so close to falling apart at the seems, technically.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

beeporama wrote:

Unlike most Final Fantasy games, nothing of value is permanently missable.

You have no idea how much this bothers me. Or maybe you do since you made a point to mention it!

I'm not even all that concerned with 100%-ing things or playing optimally, but I hate the threat of hamstringing myself because I didn't know to steal/not sell/trade for some innocuous item early on. So thank you!

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

beeporama wrote:

Unlike most Final Fantasy games, nothing of value is permanently missable.

You have no idea how much this bothers me. Or maybe you do since you made a point to mention it!

I'm not even all that concerned with 100%-ing things or playing optimally, but I hate the threat of hamstringing myself because I didn't know to steal/not sell/trade for some innocuous item early on. So thank you!

I spent 3 hours stealing a fairy flute from a giant once. I know that pain.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

beeporama wrote:

Unlike most Final Fantasy games, nothing of value is permanently missable.

You have no idea how much this bothers me. Or maybe you do since you made a point to mention it!

I'm not even all that concerned with 100%-ing things or playing optimally, but I hate the threat of hamstringing myself because I didn't know to steal/not sell/trade for some innocuous item early on. So thank you!

I know this is the wrong thread, but: I think this is the thing that has bothered me the most about the Trails series. It is all over the place there.

Didn't buy a plushie near the beginning of the game, when your currency reserves were low? Sorry, now you can't trade a set of plushies for the thing you need to make the ultimate weapon 60 hours later.

Didn't talk to every single NPC each time a major event happens, or each time the day changes? Sorry, you've now permanently missed out on story content. And we're going to give you a numerical grade that makes clear your performance was subpar.

Want to play through the game again? Cool! But if you want to get that perfect score, you need to (1) already know what you missed the first time; (2) read a guide; or (3) be ready to talk to everyone and search everything again. Chapter select? That would have been a good idea, I guess.

Well, I was going to try a Trails game but maybe not now.

garion333 wrote:

? Am I overloading Witcher 3 on everyone? I don't even really like the series that much. They're narratively great games set in a world I don't like with a main character who is okay enough with combat that's generally awful. Being called out for plugging it is odd to me.

I am stoked that the Switch version will be getting a decent update because it's ugly AF and so close to falling apart at the seems, technically.

Probably not, I'm just plagued with remembering random things

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Well, I was going to try a Trails game but maybe not now.

It's only necessary if you want to 100%/Platinum a game.

I disagree. Trails of Cold Steel, for instance, has plenty of story content gated behind hidden, optional quests. The game does a great job of making the mandatory quests visible, and making some of the optional quests visible. But I think twice in each chapter, there is a person, somewhere, who provides a quest that is completely hidden unless you happen to find and speak to them during a specific time window. And those quests often are substantive. They may not be tightly connected to the main quest, but they flesh out personalities or backstory about characters who are nonetheless significant to the overall story, like twin classmates Vivi and Linde, Misty (a radio personality, who I gather is very important later), and Patrick (the main character's wannabe rival).

But even apart from 100% / Platinum, I would also imagine the item collecting stuff would bother someone. If things like the FF XII Zodiac Spear nonsense bother you, then surely the need to collect plushies and straps throughout the game, and turn them in for crafting materials in the final chapter -- a need that is not hinted at, would bother someone too. And as far as I remember, you can never get those things again if you miss out on buying them at the time.

That... is indeed discouraging. One of the reasons I loved Dragon Quest XI so very much is that there is effectively nothing permanently missable in the game. I went in knowing that, and it was surprising what a difference it made at allowing me to relax and simply play at my own pace and in my own way.

4K Wallpaper of the new Final Fantasy VII Remake visual.

IMAGE(https://i.redd.it/xayu8jqawhf41.jpg)

WAY TO SPOIL THE ENDING SQUENIX!

If FF7 Remake really ends there, I can’t imagine how they will cover all the rest in only one more game.

Edit: of course, they won’t. It’ll be something like a five-parter.

Yeah, I thought for sure they've already stated it's going to be several releases to cover the entirety of the FFVII story.

They've said that they don't know how many other games there will be or what will be in them.

Season with optimism or pessimism as you're inclined.

They don't like to mention it often, and they don't advertise that it's going to be broken into parts. But, I'd guess there will be either two or three games, plus a collection.

I expect two games and then a third that's delayed for a decade before being quietly canceled.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

They've said that they don't know how many other games there will be or what will be in them.

Season with optimism or pessimism as you're inclined.

Pessimism: One final game that is just Emerald Weapon, plus the grinding necessary to prepare for that fight.

LastSurprise wrote:

Pessimism: One final game that is just Emerald Weapon, plus the grinding necessary to prepare for that fight.

You call that pessimism, but I'd love that.

You say that now. Hope you enjoy 30 hours in the Gelnika.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

I expect two games and then a third that's delayed for a decade before being quietly canceled.

I'm looking at the Evangelion Rebuild movies as the model. Everybody will be thrilled with the first two parts. The third will take a looong time to come out and it will depart from the original story in a big way. A decade later, the fourth will still be coming Real Soon Now.

Just in case you didn't see this elsewhere... *cough*

Final Fantasy VII Remake's opening movie:

The original for comparison:

Looks so fantastic. Can’t wait! Definitely my most anticipated game since my kiddo was born.