Yet another headphone thread

tuffalobuffalo wrote:
clover wrote:

Well, poop. Didn't pull the trigger on the used pair of AD700s I saw on Amazon for $100 around the holidays, and now everything listed is at least two hundred bucks. The updated version is less, but I was really planning to get a set of the originals.

Any ideas on where else to look (besides eBay?)

There's a refurbished pair here for $80.

Seized. You're awesome, Tuffalo.

Yay!

Thin_J wrote:
Hemidal wrote:

I use the Antlion modmic with them

A man with taste, this one.

Would you say to hold out on the 4.0 to launch at this point, see if their supply issues get cleared up?

AnimeJ wrote:
Thin_J wrote:
Hemidal wrote:

I use the Antlion modmic with them

A man with taste, this one.

Would you say to hold out on the 4.0 to launch at this point, see if their supply issues get cleared up?

If you don't need a mic right this minute, sure. From what I've read they've improved the mic steadily in various ways with each new version so waiting for the 4.0 doesn't seem like a bad idea.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Ordered a Schiit audio Magni and Modi today! Gonna use them with my laptop, electric piano, and the Synthogy Ivory 2 American Steinway D VST. I'm excited! I'll try them with my regular setup too and let you all know what I think of them for general audio use.

Have you had some time to fiddle with the Modi/Magni combo yet? Just curious what you think.

Thin_J wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Ordered a Schiit audio Magni and Modi today! Gonna use them with my laptop, electric piano, and the Synthogy Ivory 2 American Steinway D VST. I'm excited! I'll try them with my regular setup too and let you all know what I think of them for general audio use.

Have you had some time to fiddle with the Modi/Magni combo yet? Just curious what you think.

I have. I'm using it for something pretty specific. I have them hooked up to my laptop which is running Synthogy's Ivory 2 VST plugin. I have to use the asio4all audio driver to cut down on latency. For some reason I'm getting clipping at high volumes with lots of dynamic range. There's no problem just listening to regular music, so I'm pretty sure it's not the Modi or Magni. I've been meaning to try my other setup just to make sure. I think it's something to do with the laptop even though I've disabled tons of stuff. If it happens to be the Modi or Magni's fault, it's not like they were really designed for that purpose anyways. I highly doubt that it is their fault, though.

The sound is good. There's enough power for my AKG K702s. I turn it up about halfway for music and 3/4 of the way up for the piano plugin which is a bit quiet. I really hesitate to compare them to my other setup. I don't think the sound is quite as full as the Maverick setup, but who knows. It's not like I went back and forth listening to stuff.

I wish there was an off switch for the DAC. It will stay powered on by my laptop because the USB port it's plugged into allows for charging. I tried disabling that in the BIOS, but it still seems to power on. I get it, though... cost savings. The build quality is decent on both and they look great. My only complaint is that those rubber feet that come with them aren't very sticky. I could barely get them to stay on and then just smooshed them together. I haven't moved them since, but I'll be worried about the feet falling off. I don't want to glue them on particularly either unless I can find some sort of non destructive glue.

I posted them in the little piano thread I started, but here are the 2 recordings I've made so far. Listen for the pedal noise! There's even actual key noise. Not too bad for a virtual piano. I'm only able to play simple songs like these without getting the clipping/crackle issue. Oddly, the WAV file the program outputs doesn't retain that. Yet another mystery for me to solve eventually.

I need headphone help!

Some time ago, I bought these specifically for use on airplanes:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002DG...

I've concluded that although they are described as a "closed" design, they don't isolate me enough from wind and cabin noise.

Can someone suggest a pair that block sound more completely? Sound quality is a secondary concern; I want to be able to hear and understand dialogue on a plane, which I can't always do with this pair. I may never use this future pair to listen to music. These are not for gaming, don't need a mic.

Budget: As little as possible to really isolate myself. Preferably less than $100, absolutely less than $200.

Thanks!

Yeah, my HD280's are a little weak on planes. Sadly, I gave away all of the headphone amps I built. That's a fun little project, but not a practical solution if you're not into soldering, and if you prefer to protect your hearing rather than just make everything louder. You might need something with active noise canceling.

NSMike wrote:

You might need something with active noise canceling.

This is probably what it comes down to. Closed phones can block out some sound, but that depends on the volume you listen to them. if you are actively combating sound, you'll need active noise canceling phones.

I'm up for active noise cancelling. Any suggestions?

As generally awful Bose is sound-quality-wise, that's probably the best place to start for noise-cancelling headphones. You've now experienced fairly good sound quality with the Sennheiser headphones. I'm not sure if any other companies can compete on a performance/price perspective in that particular market, but I'd love to know out of curiosity.

The other option would be to go for in-ear headphones which will seal out a lot of noise compared to those Sennheisers.

I hate in-ear. Had those, hated the discomfort, bought the Senns.

Cnet has a review of a Monoprice pair of headphones that run around $115. The reviewer suggests most people would be satisfied with them, though he isn't. I don't think I'm picky. Anyone have them, or another pair they'd recommend?

Fedaykin98 wrote:

I hate in-ear. Had those, hated the discomfort, bought the Senns.

That's definitely understandable. Here is a good place to look through for reviews. I'm not sure what your best option will end up being, but they do a pretty good job at inner fidelity.

If you don't mind looking like an absolute nut, the best solution I found for blocking out noise (while mowing the lawn) was a pair of earbuds and a pair of these.

.

NSMike wrote:

If you don't mind looking like an absolute nut, the best solution I found for blocking out noise (while mowing the lawn) was a pair of earbuds and a pair of these.

Heh... that's actually a very decent solution.

NSMike wrote:

If you don't mind looking like an absolute nut, the best solution I found for blocking out noise (while mowing the lawn) was a pair of earbuds and a pair of these.

Creative! I'll consider that, though I'm not sure I want to stand out on an airplane.

They make ear protectors like that with built in headphones, but even decent ones I think exceed your price range. The ones I take to the gun range ran about $250.

But they also have an external Mic and do a good job of automatically piping in audio of people around me talking, so I can carry conversation while loading magazines or whatever without risking my hearing when some guy two lanes down lets go with his muzzleloader or desert eagle or whatever other ridiculousness.

Might be a lesser model somewhere without the extra features you don't need. I'll try to remember and look around a bit tonight.

Worth doing a little digging though. I bet you can find something.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

As generally awful Bose is sound-quality-wise, that's probably the best place to start for noise-cancelling headphones.

I balked at the idea of buying my wife a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones, but that's what she wanted and they were rated really highly. She loves them and travels with them a lot (3-4 flights a month during the busy season).

edosan wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:

As generally awful Bose is sound-quality-wise, that's probably the best place to start for noise-cancelling headphones.

I balked at the idea of buying my wife a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones, but that's what she wanted and they were rated really highly. She loves them and travels with them a lot (3-4 flights a month during the busy season).

Apparently my brother has them and loves them. I'm the cheaper of us, though, so I Primed the Monoprice pair. I'll try and let y'all know my thoughts.

Fedaykin98 wrote:
edosan wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:

As generally awful Bose is sound-quality-wise, that's probably the best place to start for noise-cancelling headphones.

I balked at the idea of buying my wife a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones, but that's what she wanted and they were rated really highly. She loves them and travels with them a lot (3-4 flights a month during the busy season).

Apparently my brother has them and loves them. I'm the cheaper of us, though, so I Primed the Monoprice pair. I'll try and let y'all know my thoughts.

Interesting. Do you have a link? Might look into buying a backup pair for the wife if you think they test well.

Just Google or Amazon Monoprice noise cancelling headphones.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

Just Google or Amazon Monoprice noise cancelling headphones.

Best bet is probably monoprice.com

Citizen86 wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:

Just Google or Amazon Monoprice noise cancelling headphones.

Best bet is probably monoprice.com ;)

You can, but with shipping they were cheaper from Amazon, and were Prime.

Does anyone know of bluetooth headphones that don't jam into the ear canal like most earbuds? I like the feel of the Apple earpods so I want something either like that or something that goes over the ear by hooking around the back, but without actually plugging up the canal.

Hey all,

I'm looking for a new PC gaming headset. My separate mic crapped out and my in-ear phones never worked very well for in-game chat anyway.

I need it to be inexpensive, $50 or less. I realize that probably dooms me to more or less craptacular sound, but that's what I can afford. I still have my nice in-ear phones for other listening.

So... Logitech G230 or something else?

BadKen wrote:

Hey all,

I'm looking for a new PC gaming headset. My separate mic crapped out and my in-ear phones never worked very well for in-game chat anyway.

I need it to be inexpensive, $50 or less. I realize that probably dooms me to more or less craptacular sound, but that's what I can afford. I still have my nice in-ear phones for other listening.

So... Logitech G230 or something else?

For comfort and decent sound, I've liked my Razer Carcharias. I think I bought a refurb several years ago, and it's been great. Not audiophile sound, but extremely comfortable with good if not great sound.

However, it looks like the newer model is getting reviews saying some mics buzz, so I'm not sure I'd go that route again.

You might look at the Corsairs, though. If you get the analog version, they're not too bad on price.

Plantronics makes some cheap headsets, which are actually pretty good. They're surprisingly durable for the price. You can get perfectly reasonable ones on Amazon for $12. That looks the same as one I've had for a few years, and while it's definitely cheap, it's not total crap.

The $22 one looks quite a bit sturdier, though.

Fedaykin98 wrote:
edosan wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:

As generally awful Bose is sound-quality-wise, that's probably the best place to start for noise-cancelling headphones.

I balked at the idea of buying my wife a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones, but that's what she wanted and they were rated really highly. She loves them and travels with them a lot (3-4 flights a month during the busy season).

Apparently my brother has them and loves them. I'm the cheaper of us, though, so I Primed the Monoprice pair. I'll try and let y'all know my thoughts.

FYI, I'm back from the trip that inspired this purchase, and the Monoprice set performed very well in canceling out airplane and train noise.

My wonderful wife got me a Sennheiser PC360 headset for my birthday, due to some kind of snafu on an Amazon wishlist. For some reason, something I'd had in a wish list to help me remember a model number just in case, showed as being added to the list in April. I think she even paid more than they originally costs due to them being a discontinued model. I think they'd been replaced by either the 363D or the G4ME One or G4ME Zeros.

I think the 363D comes with a USB adapter, but might also work as analog? Not sure about the other two.

I hate to return a gift like this, but it might actually save her money to update to one of the newer sets. Anybody kept up with these and have an opinion? Don't like the white versions, but I think they also have black, just not necessarily on Amazon.

Malor wrote:

Plantronics makes some cheap headsets, which are actually pretty good. They're surprisingly durable for the price. You can get perfectly reasonable ones on Amazon for $12. That looks the same as one I've had for a few years, and while it's definitely cheap, it's not total crap.

The $22 one looks quite a bit sturdier, though.

I will +1 on Plantronics in this price range. I have this exact one: http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Au...

I use it for LFD2 and have been using it for a few years with no issues, and having the additional volume control on headset has been a lifesaver. The sound quality has been just fine and the mic activates when you press it into the down position, no muss, no fuss.

As for durability, it's been great! I actually swung around in my office chair clipping the usb male, damaging the actual usb port in the front of my rig to be unusable, but the headset and plug were undamaged.