Yet another headphone thread

Citizen86 wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:

The reviews seem good on the 518s. Probably great bang for the buck open headphones. It's fairly hard to go wrong with something Sennheiser makes. Since they are $50 less than the 558s, it would definitely be something to consider if you are on a budget.

Edit: That being said, the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 are $100 on Amazon right now. I'd probably go with those.

That's about the going rate on the ATH-AD700's, I don't think I've seen them cheaper

They've been as low as $70 on Amazon before

I got mine for $85.

Ok, I'm going to be on the lookout for those. Please post if you see them on sale!

Audio Technica ATH-M50 <- according to the Wire Cutter ($120)

Best Buy has a headphone holder/stand on sale for $4.79 with free shipping.

Not sure how good it is, but I ordered one to try to clean up my desk a bit.

Also, Newegg has the Sennheiser HD 428 SC headphones on sale for $34. How well would these work for a small head? The nearly 11 year old daughter wants more comfortable headphones. The fact that they're closed back sounds good as a parent

They'll primarily be hooked to portable devices (ipad, phone, etc).

MannishBoy wrote:

Also, Newegg has the Sennheiser HD 428 SC headphones on sale for $34. How well would these work for a small head? The nearly 11 year old daughter wants more comfortable headphones. The fact that they're closed back sounds good as a parent

They'll primarily be hooked to portable devices (ipad, phone, etc).

I can help with that! I don't think they would be good for a small head unfortunately. They're great little headphones other than the non-replaceable cord. I used a pair for a long time until the cord went out. The material on the ear cups is fairly slippery and there isn't much clamping force, so they were loose on my head. After they died, I went with the HD 439s which have a replaceable cord and velourish ear cups which are more comfortable and don't slip. The clamping force is a little better, too. Still, I doubt that any headphones in that line are going to be good for less than adult size heads just because of how they are designed.

That's a superb deal for anyone looking for a closed, over the ear headphone for on the go/at work use. I highly recommend them for the sound quality.

I just bought my kids the Monoprice headphones. They are big though. They have a removable cord and can be folded up, but they are still bulky. I like them becuase they are cheap, durable, and they are a great sounding closed headphone.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

I can't recommend the Sennheiser HD 439 headphones enough. They are sort of not making them anymore, it seems. They are amazing closed headphones. The other great thing about them is the easily replaceable cord. The cord tends to be the thing that goes out on headphones used while traveling.

Would you recommend these for use on airplanes/travel, Tuffalo?

jonnypolite wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:

I can't recommend the Sennheiser HD 439 headphones enough. They are sort of not making them anymore, it seems. They are amazing closed headphones. The other great thing about them is the easily replaceable cord. The cord tends to be the thing that goes out on headphones used while traveling.

Would you recommend these for use on airplanes/travel, Tuffalo?

I used them a few times on airplanes and they work fairly well. They definitely cut out the noise but don't cancel it out. They do a good enough job to where I feel like I want to keep wearing them during take off to cut out the noise but don't want to have the stewards/stewardesses ask me if I've turned off all of my electronic devices.

I received my aviators the other day. So far, I really like everything about them. The look, sound, comfort. I did go with the brown/gold which I really like, but the gold makes it a bit "loud" for work.

MannishBoy wrote:

Best Buy has a headphone holder/stand on sale for $4.79 with free shipping.

Not sure how good it is, but I ordered one to try to clean up my desk a bit.

I bought a $2 coat hanger at Target. I mounted that to the wall with two drywall screws and it works great. I couldn't find any headphone stands under $30 at the time though.

obirano wrote:

I received my aviators the other day. So far, I really like everything about them. The look, sound, comfort. I did go with the brown/gold which I really like, but the gold makes it a bit "loud" for work.

I use mine more than any other headphone. Balanced sound, moderate isolation, good soundstage, and portable. The only bummer is the cord noise.

I managed to get a short cable for my Sennheiser HD 558 and compatible with all devices that use their proprietary "twist and lock" cables

Turns out you can order it directly from Sennheiser's website in the US or over the phone in Canada

It's basically a 3 foot cable with a stereo jack. I got it from the US website and with shipping I paid roughly 23$

For me it was well worth it

I found out that BB was clearing out the Harmon Kardon headphones at 50% off. Didn't realize until I started looking that they had a super aural version that worked via Bluetooth (model HARKAR-BL), using the Apt-X protocol. You can also use a regular cable if you want. Figured it was worth the $25 extra over the regular ones (HARKAR-CL). So I picked up a pair to try at $125. Sounds pretty good for wireless.

I'm trying to find my MS bluetooth dongle from my laptop mouse to see if it allows the same quality sound on my PC. Not sure if the Bluetooth stack will support it or not.

Only thing I don't like about these headphones is that the ear cups rub the outsides of my ears more than I like. But that's pretty common. I like space around my ears more than most I think.

The 50% off prices don't show on the web, you have to call or go to a store to see if those prices apply.

IMAGE(http://www.harmankardon.com/images/media/OverEarBT_sq_001_blk_dv480x480.png)

I find Best Buy doesn't always advertise their in-store deals. Sometimes not even in store. I'm not sure if it was a mistake, but I'm still so happy with the 2 monitors I bought on sale + one 1/2 price off sale price.

I love the Aviator's I bought. What's the best way to use them as headphones/mic on my computer? I'd rather not have to set up a separate microphone.

obirano wrote:

I love the Aviator's I bought. What's the best way to use them as headphones/mic on my computer? I'd rather not have to set up a separate microphone.

Something like this.

MannishBoy wrote:
obirano wrote:

I love the Aviator's I bought. What's the best way to use them as headphones/mic on my computer? I'd rather not have to set up a separate microphone.

Something like this.

Bingo. Thanks!

obirano wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:
obirano wrote:

I love the Aviator's I bought. What's the best way to use them as headphones/mic on my computer? I'd rather not have to set up a separate microphone.

Something like this.

Bingo. Thanks!

Looks like there might be some cheaper ones on Amazon now, so look around.

obirano wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:
obirano wrote:

I love the Aviator's I bought. What's the best way to use them as headphones/mic on my computer? I'd rather not have to set up a separate microphone.

Something like this.

Bingo. Thanks!

My Aviators' cord is very sensitive and it brushing on my shirt or something gets picked up by the mic

I'm not so sure if personally I'd use them for that purpose

interstate78 wrote:
obirano wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:
obirano wrote:

I love the Aviator's I bought. What's the best way to use them as headphones/mic on my computer? I'd rather not have to set up a separate microphone.

Something like this.

Bingo. Thanks!

My Aviators' cord is very sensitive and it brushing on my shirt or something gets picked up by the mic

I'm not so sure if personally I'd use them for that purpose

Picked up a 5 dollar cord. I'll give it a shot.

Time for me to give another try at headphones, bit on a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 PROs, 250ohm model. Chipped in for an E07K DAC/amp for travel. We'll see this time.

jonnypolite wrote:

Time for me to give another try at headphones, bit on a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 PROs, 250ohm model. Chipped in for an E07K DAC/amp for travel. We'll see this time.

Nice. Enjoy! I remember you were going to pick some stuff up way back when but then kid stuff happened.

Yeah, life happens:) I'll report back.

Just wondering, is there anything like a headphone equivalent to monitor calibration? So you'd take a given set of headphones and the ears of the listener, and calibrate a response so that sound playback/perception is 'right'?

Scratched wrote:

Just wondering, is there anything like a headphone equivalent to monitor calibration? So you'd take a given set of headphones and the ears of the listener, and calibrate a response so that sound playback/perception is 'right'?

Ha! Yeah, not really. The best thing to strive for is bitperfect audio. So, whatever your source, be it FLAC or MP3 or whatever, it's going straight into the DAC which might be a separate unit or whatever your motherboard's Digital to Analog conversion chip is. That way, you should be getting the most accurate digital to analog conversion and that analog signal will then go into the headphone amp or straight to the headphones.

The guy at Inner Fidelity built a Styrofoam head rig with microphones to quantify headphone measurements. I think he initially did it to test for things like break in. It gave him some nice graphs to work with, but the results were rather inconclusive. Here's another example of him doing some measurements with headphone amps.

So yeah, it's fairly subjective. There are probably certain tracks that you could use that really let you listen for specific things, but other than that, it's a listening and learning deal.

Bitperfect/unaltered sound would be an earlier link in the chain to what I'm thinking of, the generation of sound by the (headphone) speakers, the casing design, and how well your ears work.

The best idea I could come up with is having a scale and checking that the sound is fairly equally loud across the spectrum, and then to calibrate you could mess around with an equaliser. My soundcard has various points at set frequencies, so you could use audacity to generate those tones and go from there.

Chances are it's not worth it unless your gear or ears have a significant defect, probably just the a few percent. I'd guess a better first step would be to get a hearing examination from a professional, and I don't think my hearing has gone that far yet.

MannishBoy wrote:

I know a couple of people here have liked the Skullcandy Aviators. Looks like [http://www.6pm.com/skullcandy-aviato... has several versions on sale for $90[/url] (scroll down).

6PM is Zappos' clearance site if you're not familiar with them.

I really enjoy mine. I use them mostly at home and travel. I picked up a pair of the Marley Positive Vibration headphones the other day as I got a great deal on them. Will keep that pair at work. I like them, but they are not nearly as comfortable as my aviators.

I know a couple of people here have liked the Skullcandy Aviators. Looks like 6PM has several versions on sale for $90 (scroll down).

6PM is Zappos' clearance site if you're not familiar with them.

obirano wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:

I know a couple of people here have liked the Skullcandy Aviators. Looks like [http://www.6pm.com/skullcandy-aviato... has several versions on sale for $90[/url] (scroll down).

6PM is Zappos' clearance site if you're not familiar with them.

I really enjoy mine. I use them mostly at home and travel. I picked up a pair of the Marley Positive Vibration headphones the other day as I got a great deal on them. Will keep that pair at work. I like them, but they are not nearly as comfortable as my aviators.

I tried a pair on at BB not long ago. I really prefer bigger ear cups. I ended up buying those H&K's I posted up thread, and they still rub my ears more than I'd like. I think I want large circular cups. My Razer Carcharias that I use on my PC are perfect for comfort for me.

I wonder about the Vmoda's and how they'd fit.

MannishBoy wrote:

I think I want large circular cups.

Beyerydynamic.

Seriously. Only headphones I have ever used that don't touch my ears at all are my DT-770 80's and my DT-990 300's.

I've said it before, if I could get a set of headphones that was basically my DT-990's but with an Audiotechnica split wing style headband... I would never use other headphones. Ever.