Yet another headphone thread

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Edit 2: I was just listening to a Deutsche Grammophon recording of some Bach organ works by Helmut Walcha. There is some massive background hiss. I then went and listened to the Hilary Hahn Bach Violin concertos which Thin_J recommended and are pristine and clear. I fear I am ruined. Both CDs were ripped in lossless. Every recording I listen to now makes me scared that it's going to be crap. At least the Fabio Bionte/Europa Galante recording of Vivaldi violin concertos is excellent.

Yeah, this is a sort of unfortunate side effect. Getting some good gear will expose bad recordings really, really quickly. There are bands I've basically written off ever listening to at home because all their albums are terrible from a mixing standpoint. They just don't get played unless it's on my home theater system or in my car or something.

Hi...great forum and a real interesting thread that I just spent the past couple days reading through.

I'm looking for a headset to pair w/ the Wireless 5.8 Mixamp, and I see that Mannishboy recommends the Carcharias. Do they heat up your ears, or is there some air flow? I also wouldn't mind if the sound of my own voice came through the headphones slightly, so I can monitor my voice level. I read on another forum that the Mixamp produces a small amount of mic monitoring, is this true for any headset used w/ the Mixamp?

Scott128 wrote:

I'm looking for a headset to pair w/ the Wireless 5.8 Mixamp, and I see that Mannishboy recommends the Carcharias. Do they heat up your ears, or is there some air flow? I also wouldn't mind if the sound of my own voice came through the headphones slightly, so I can monitor my voice level. I read on another forum that the Mixamp produces a small amount of mic monitoring, is this true for any headset used w/ the Mixamp?

I recommend the Carcharias as good bang for the buck. I'm sure there are better, but these are pretty good, and others who've gotten them seem to approve.

There might be a small amount of mic monitoring on the Mixamp, but it's lower than my Turtle Beach X41s. The Mixamp overall is harder to get the mix of chat to game sounds right compared to the X41s, but they are much cleaner and the combo of Razers and Mixamp sounds better overall.

As for heat, they're cloth pads, and are about the same as any other cloth pads to me.

Thanks for the quick reply Mannish...

The X41 or any 2.4ghz wireless headset is not for me, although I do like the independent chat volume control.

So Mannish, do you hear your own voice through the Carcharias when used w/ the Mixamp, even in the slightest? I have been told by my gf that I am too loud sometimes lol.

Also, is there a mute feature on the Carch's?

Scott128 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply Mannish...

The X41 or any 2.4ghz wireless headset is not for me, although I do like the independent chat volume control.

So Mannish, do you hear your own voice through the Carcharias when used w/ the Mixamp, even in the slightest? I have been told by my gf that I am too loud sometimes lol.

When I used my IEMs with the Mixamp right after getting it, I would have sworn I had no mic monitoring. Since the Carcharias are open, I can hear myself anyway. I honestly have seen people say the Mixamps have mic monitoring, but if they do, it's pretty faint.

Also, is there a mute feature on the Carch's?

Yes, there's a sliding switch.

The biggest problem with the Carcharias is that the cable is really long since it's a PC headset. I keep thinking about cutting it to something that would work better for Xbox use, but I haven't found many good 4 pole plugs that don't cost a fortune in shipping to order off the internet yet.

There is definitely mic monitoring on the mixamp. It weirds me out. I hate hearing myself. It's not always noticeable, but it's there.

Thin_J wrote:

There is definitely mic monitoring on the mixamp. It weirds me out. I hate hearing myself. It's not always noticeable, but it's there.

On PC or Xbox?

MannishBoy wrote:
Thin_J wrote:

There is definitely mic monitoring on the mixamp. It weirds me out. I hate hearing myself. It's not always noticeable, but it's there.

On PC or Xbox?

Both. Any time I use the mixamp with any headset or headphone/mic combo.

I'll have to hook it back up to my IEMs and see if I can hear myself.

Yours wired or wireless?

Thin_J liked it pretty well and found the audio quality to be pretty fantastic. Personally, I wonder if it's $20 better than a Zalman though.

So, what's the word on the modmic? I've got one in my Amazon cart

Edit - I'll tell you on Friday when it arrives.

Only had a few more minutes to get it by Friday.

AnimeJ wrote:

Thin_J liked it pretty well and found the audio quality to be pretty fantastic. Personally, I wonder if it's $20 better than a Zalman though.

I find i like boom mics better because I don't like to project my voice when gaming at night. I have this idea that I'm going to wake up the house. So, a boom mic right in front of my mouth has a much better chance of getting my ramblings.

I too am interested if you have the wired or wireless, Thin_J

I had confirmation on another forum that the wired mixamp was giving mic monitoring w/ various headsets. No word on the wireless yet though.

Hemidal wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:

Thin_J liked it pretty well and found the audio quality to be pretty fantastic. Personally, I wonder if it's $20 better than a Zalman though.

I find i like boom mics better because I don't like to project my voice when gaming at night. I have this idea that I'm going to wake up the house. So, a boom mic right in front of my mouth has a much better chance of getting my ramblings.

Your call. I haven't had any issues with the Zalman, and have used several boom mics.. no real difference in volume from me, and I haven't really heard anyone complain about it.

Scott128 wrote:

I too am interested if you have the wired or wireless, Thin_J

I had confirmation on another forum that the wired mixamp was giving mic monitoring w/ various headsets. No word on the wireless yet though.

I have the older version of the wired mixamp. I don't do wireless audio. It always sounds like crap to me. Supposedly Sennheiser has finally managed to fix that and release some quality wireless headphones but those are all like $400 and up.

Hemidal wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:

Thin_J liked it pretty well and found the audio quality to be pretty fantastic. Personally, I wonder if it's $20 better than a Zalman though.

I have this idea that I'm going to wake up the house. So, a boom mic right in front of my mouth has a much better chance of getting my ramblings.

Totally know the feeling. I acknowledge that it's largely irrational, but that doesn't change things.

Too many years of running a fast food drive thru's for me; I prefer boom mics myself and refuse to use all others.

I had a Zalman for a short while. I constantly had people telling me they couldn't hear me. And like others I often have people sleeping or doing other things close by or in the next room. So I'm usually trying to talk quietly on top of already not being a loud person. I actually had marginally better luck with a little labtec puck mic that sits down on the desk, but I eventually got frustrated with that too.

I've been looking for a good solution ever since. So far the modmic is it. I can easily switch it back and forth between two different sets of headphones which gives me a little bit of versatility that isn't otherwise there and it sounds every bit as good as the excellent mic that's in the Astro A40 headset.

Thin_J wrote:

I have the older version of the wired mixamp. I don't do wireless audio. It always sounds like crap to me. Supposedly Sennheiser has finally managed to fix that and release some quality wireless headphones but those are all like $400 and up.

The Astro does a surprisingly good job. Only thing I've noticed bad is that I think it occasionally hits it's bandwidth limit and clips, but that's rare and usually doesn't happen with games.

My biggest complaint with the Wireless Mixamp is that they used 3 AAA batteries. So it eats them pretty fast. My rechargable AAAs are 800mA, so that's 2400 mA, compared to maybe 4000 mA they would have gotten from two AAs in a similar form factor.

MannishBoy wrote:

My rechargable AAAs are 800mA, so that's 2400 mA

No, it's still 800mAh, just at 3.6v. If they were in parallel it'd be 2400mAh at 1.2v. Regardless, AAs give much better life at the cost of additional size.

LiquidMantis wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:

My rechargable AAAs are 800mA, so that's 2400 mA

No, it's still 800mAh, just at 3.6v. If they were in parallel it'd be 2400mAh at 1.2v. Regardless, AAs give much better life at the cost of additional size.

That's definitely right. Sorry.

I think with the form factor, they could have easily had the AAs though instead without adversely impacting size noticeably.

It probably didn't give them the voltage they needed... they most likely went to three cells for the voltage boost, and didn't feel they had room for three AAs.

AAs do hold tremendously more juice, and I wish more manufacturers used them.

Modmic arrived today. I got it setup with my HD-555s, and I'm totally digging it. No more Creative Fatality USB headset for BF3 (always hurt my head after a while).

Well, the cord on my HD 428s went out a few weeks ago. It died at the usual spot next to where I plug it into my phone. I even used a 3 inch long 1st gen iPhone adapter the whole time to try and relieve stress on the plug to wire joint, and it still crapped out on me. So, I won't be buying HD 428s again as that cord is just too darn flimsy.

At any rate, I had some free time this morning so I did a little mod on the headphones. I removed the broken cord, took the 3" long adapter I had been using and soldered it in to where the old cord used to be. Now I can just use an 1/8" plug to 1/8" plug cord (easily replaceable) with the headphones. I listened to one song and I didn't hear any crackling or problems with the sound. I don't know how long my soldering job will last, but it was fun at any rate. I'm going to take the ear piece off again when I get home and apply a little super glue here and there to make sure there aren't any spots where the wire will have stress points.

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/PtqKjl.jpg)

Hemidal wrote:

Modmic arrived today. I got it setup with my HD-555s, and I'm totally digging it. No more Creative Fatality USB headset for BF3 (always hurt my head after a while).

I'm super happy with mine as well. It's pretty much the perfect solution to a problem I've been fighting with off and on for years.

Tuffalo: Nice. I've still never had a pair of headphones die on me, but it seems to happen often enough. I think if I were going to do it I'd go all out and just recable the things entirely. Your solution seems far, far simpler than that though.

Thin_J wrote:

Tuffalo: Nice. I've still never had a pair of headphones die on me, but it seems to happen often enough. I think if I were going to do it I'd go all out and just recable the things entirely. Your solution seems far, far simpler than that though.

I didn't really have much of a choice unfortunately. The wire that died and was soldered onto a PCB inside the left headphone had those thin, tiny-ass, twisted, coated wires that you see in iPod headphones. I had that adapter which contains those. If I had straight up tried to attach a nice thick headphone cable to the PCB, the solder points are so small, I fear it would not have worked. I did the best solder job I could with the tools I had, so it's not a great job. Hopefully, I'll get a few more months out of the headphones at least.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

I'm going to take the ear piece off again when I get home and apply a little super glue here and there to make sure there aren't any spots where the wire will have stress points.

Hot glue is the way to go for stress relief and reinforcement.

LiquidMantis wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:

I'm going to take the ear piece off again when I get home and apply a little super glue here and there to make sure there aren't any spots where the wire will have stress points.

Hot glue is the way to go for stress relief and reinforcement.

Good point. I don't have a hot glue gun, but maybe I can borrow one from someone. Actually, I should probably just buy one to help with future projects.

Tuffalo, I saw this just a couple of days ago. Not sure if it would be any help to your project at this stage or not.

MannishBoy wrote:

Tuffalo, I saw this just a couple of days ago. Not sure if it would be any help to your project at this stage or not.

Haha! My job would have been so much easier with those grados. The wires on the HD 428s are about 5 times as delicate. I'm guessing Sennheiser was going for a very low impedance headphone because the HD 428s are meant to be used with iPhones, etc. without using a headphone amp. At any rate, it's no big deal if my fix doesn't work eventually because they only cost me 35 bucks or so about a year ago. I got my money's worth out of them.