Video Game Deals Catch-All

Heh, I only needed to watch about 5 minutes of that to be discouraged from buying Farming Simulator 2013.

Perhaps this video will lure you in:

Yup. The physics and presentation are busted all to hell.

But you know, harvesting, cultivating, seeding, and fertilizing my first field has been more fresh and fun than the last couple CoD titles I played. It's got mad zen and an oddball underdog charm about it.

Now if I can just get my hands on Zamboni Simulator 2013!

LobsterMobster wrote:

OH SNAP is that the Weidemann E300 Articulated Claw-Mulcher!? SOLD.

What is this... I don't even...

Aaron D. wrote:

Yup. The physics and presentation are busted all to hell.

But you know, harvesting, cultivating, seeding, and fertilizing my first field has been more fresh and fun than the last couple CoD titles I played. It's got mad zen and an oddball underdog charm about it.

Now if I can just get my hands on Zamboni Simulator 2013!

The simulator rabbit hole is deep, but I couldn't find that one. I find evidence of it's existence but like Bigfoot the game itself remains elusive.

How about a snowcat simulator. Close enough?

Of course, you could always go for the bungee jumping simulator.

Though given that this is apparently a thing, a Zamboni simulator seems absolutely mundane.

a Zamboni simulator sounds perfect for drunk gaming.

Darksiders2 is 75% off on steam.

Scratched wrote:

Darksiders2 is 75% off on steam.

Go buy this. All of you.

thinkklinck wrote:
Scratched wrote:

Darksiders2 is 75% off on steam.

Go buy this. All of you.

Seconded. Fun game, worth it at twice the price.

Some of the DLC is similarly discounted.

Scratched wrote:
misplacedbravado wrote:

O players of Dishonored, I need some enabling or disabling.

I like the idea of stealth games in theory, but in practice, don't have the patience for them. Playing a thief/assassin in Skyrim was a lot of fun, but I have yet to find a game with more detailed stealth that I enjoyed.

In particular, DX:HR is the game I've played that Dishonored is most often compared to, and while crawling through ducts had its moments, large parts of that game's mechanics - especially the stealth - never clicked for me.

I think that's a side to stealthy games that often gets overlooked. Rather than badly done stealth games where you instant fail or essentially get overwhelmed, or games with instantly aware enemies who always attack anything, stealth allows you to set up combat on your terms and set up fighting with weapons other than the usual guns or blade. Dishonored is a game you should experiment with.

+1.

Also, Skyrim at least (I haven't played DX:HR) isn't really a stealth game. Dishonored has a proper it's-the-focus-of-the-game stealth system (guards have multiple levels of awareness, will communicate with each other, etc), and its player tools and level design are designed with facilitating empowering stealth play: creating distractions, silent takedowns, organic levels with multiple paths and plenty of verticality. You won't be spending all your time in improbably sized air vents.

Unique to Dishonored's stealth, compared to Skyrim or DX:HR or even Thief, is a heavy emphasis on movement—you'll be constantly traversing the environments, across, up and down—rather than say just creeping through shadows; and the feel of movement is really phenomenal. It's like Mirror's Edge had a stealth baby.

There are gobs of combat options too, to either get yourself out of a jam, or just power through guns blazing.

Aaron D. wrote:

So it's a bit of a shot in the dark, but can anyone enable me on this one? I fell down the rabbit hole with Euro Truck Simulator 2 a month or so back and am considering taking the next step in Bizarro Eastern European Mundane Daily Life Activity Simulators (tm.).

Argh, why is Farming Simulator 2013 coming to Xbox, and not Euro Truck Simulator 2? Injustice.

Oh my, Bad Rats is 75% off on Steam.

omnipherous wrote:

Oh my, Bad Rats is 75% off on Steam.

So what does that make it? 12 cents?

almost... £0.87 in Ye Olde World monies..

omnipherous wrote:

almost... £0.87 in Ye Olde World monies..

$1.24 in the U.S.A.

Gravey wrote:

(I haven't played DX:HR)

You should give it a spin. I think you'd enjoy it. (And yes, it's a proper stealth game.)

Unique to Dishonored's stealth, compared to Skyrim or DX:HR or even Thief, is a heavy emphasis on movement—you'll be constantly traversing the environments, across, up and down—rather than say just creeping through shadows; and the feel of movement is really phenomenal. It's like Mirror's Edge had a stealth baby.

That sounds a lot like Arkham Asylum. Being a huge fan of Thief and the older Splinter Cell games, I was surprised by how insistent Arkham Asylum was that you constantly keep moving. It ran contrary to my expectations for stealth but was a lot of fun, especially because Batman's move set for escaping and traversing was so well-thought-out.

Maybe that's why I sucked at Dishonored....

ClockworkHouse wrote:
Gravey wrote:

(I haven't played DX:HR)

You should give it a spin. I think you'd enjoy it. (And yes, it's a proper stealth game.)

It's always been in the back of my mind to check out—at the very least the architecture, costume design, and inclusion of Montreal are really attractive. I can't remember where I heard it, I think it was on an episode of Idle Thumbs, but it sounded like levels in DX each have a single "stealth route", contra the "combat route". Dishonored offers multiple ways through a level, regardless of playstyle, as opposed to "choose route A to fight, or route B to sneak". Is that a fair representation? It's made DX less compelling. Also the boss fights, and it's very orange.

Gravey wrote:

as opposed to "choose route A to fight, or route B to sneak". Is that a fair representation?

Not really. Sure there's some parts/levels like that, but not the game as a whole.

Scratched wrote:
Gravey wrote:

as opposed to "choose route A to fight, or route B to sneak". Is that a fair representation?

Not really. Sure there's some parts/levels like that, but not the game as a whole.

Then I have been misinformed. Or they were just talking about those parts.

Gravey wrote:
Scratched wrote:
Gravey wrote:

as opposed to "choose route A to fight, or route B to sneak". Is that a fair representation?

Not really. Sure there's some parts/levels like that, but not the game as a whole.

Then I have been misinformed. Or they were just talking about those parts.

It's a little odd to say really, because in terms of playstyle it's what you make it. It's kind of an RPG.

It's more like there is an office you can get into. You can hack the door or you can find a vent to sneak in. There is a guard you can pass, you can hide in the floor vent, take a different route, or take him out.
It's not like you choose a path and have to do it, you can change your plan at any time.

Aren't a lot of doors destructible too, so if you didn't care about stealth you could just blow your way through?

edit: Yep, just checked it. Doors have health.

From Joystiq:

The three games released in North America and Europe from Level-5's Guild01 collection will be discounted from April 18 through May 30, offering you a prime opportunity to check out Level-5's exceedingly eclectic collaborative output.

Liberation Maiden, the 3D mech shooter made with Grasshopper Manufacture, will be $4.99 (down from $7.99). Yoot Saito's manic airport luggage sorting game Aero Porter is $2.99 (from $4.99), and Yasumi Matsuno's involved tabletop RPG Crimson Shroud will be $4.99, marked down from $7.99. Level-5 says the games will also be discounted in Europe.

Citizen86 wrote:

It's more like there is an office you can get into. You can hack the door or you can find a vent to sneak in. There is a guard you can pass, you can hide in the floor vent, take a different route, or take him out.
It's not like you choose a path and have to do it, you can change your plan at any time.

This is getting tangential now that I'm talking second-hand about a game I haven't played, but IIRC what was mentioned in the IT episode was that you sneak one way and *ding* get some XP; like that was the level's prescribed stealth route.

But regardless, I believe I'll put DX:HR on the pile when I pick up Metro: Last Light (speaking of stealth and maybe-not-so-good-stealth). It'll be good to see what Eidos Montreal can do before Thief comes out.

You get XP for exploring, IIRC. There wasn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play the game

There is absolutely a right way to play Deus Ex:

LobsterMobster wrote:

There is absolutely a right way to play Deus Ex:

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/YIld6CK.png)

LobsterMobster wrote:

There is absolutely a right way to play Deus Ex:

My 17 month old son approves. And I do too. Hey, at least Adam's being safe, right?

Quintin_Stone wrote:
LobsterMobster wrote:

There is absolutely a right way to play Deus Ex:

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/YIld6CK.png)

And that is absolutely awesome stuff. I can see why he wouldn't want to be caught on tape, those aren't exactly the best dance moves I've seen.

LobsterMobster wrote:

There is absolutely a right way to play Deus Ex:

Thanks, I needed that after today.