Video Game Deals Catch-All

trueheart78 wrote:

Ok, I'm in, if only for the SR3 sound track.

Hoping to make some awesome cell phone settings with that :D

Completely had missed the fact the soundtrack was available. Trueheart, you're the best! Around! Nothing's gonna ever keep you down!

Anyone who wants a Saints Row The Third key, first to PM me gets it!

EDIT: Gone!

MilkmanDanimal wrote:
trueheart78 wrote:

Ok, I'm in, if only for the SR3 sound track.

Hoping to make some awesome cell phone settings with that :D

Completely had missed the fact the soundtrack was available. Trueheart, you're the best! Around! Nothing's gonna ever keep you down!

To be fair, this isn't the licensed music, it's the custom score. Regardless, I'm fine with that.

EvilDead wrote:

I'm tempted by [size=2]these[/size] Saints Row [size=2]offers but my pile is just too big. I'm a hoarder![/size]

Added emphasis for anyone that needs a giftee

Thanks to Parallax Abstraction for SR3. It'll make a fantastic first game on the new PC I'm building for Christmas.

Archangel wrote:

Yeah, this is the Fire Sale, Everything Must Go Bundle. I hope it's not the Going Out of Business Bundle.

Edit: Wait -- Saint's Row has sold 5 million copies and THQ is still in trouble? How is that even possible?

Saints Row the Third was a huge seller, but it was their only huge seller during a time they put out a lot of big budget games. Doesn't matter how much you take in if you're spending even more.

So apparently some people are upset by this? Some folks will complain about anything.

I think the deal is great and have gotten it for SR3 and RFA but from Humble Bundle Standards I am a bit disappointed they are not available on Linux. I understand why it isn't but have always liked how they have been all on Linux so far.

shoptroll wrote:
Parallax Abstraction wrote:

The comments I'm reading on articles announcing this are gross though. "These aren't indie so the Humble Bundle is destroying everything they're about and I'll never buy from them again!" As if they ever explicitly stated they were all about indie games. Reactions like this are why the indie community has a (largely undeserved) reputation for being full of pretentious douchebags.

There was a bit of a similar uproar over Psychonauts' inclusion (ie. it was funded by Majesco and therefore not independently developed) in Humble Indie Bundle 5. Eh. It's humblebundle.com for a reason, and I think it's smart of Wolfire to branch out into eBooks, Music, and non-indie titles.

That said, given the Steam exclusive nature of this one I'm a little surprised it's being done on Humble Bundle and not Steam proper. The fact it isn't DRM-free is probably the biggest deviation from the Humble Bundle "brand" and that's probably the only part I'm willing to agree with the critics.

I'm guessing it's not being done on Steam proper since they don't have an option for a pay-what-you-want purchase.

JillSammich wrote:

So apparently some people are upset by this? Some folks will complain about anything.

Recreational outrage is the national sport of the Internet

JillSammich wrote:

So apparently some people are upset by this? Some folks will complain about anything.

Including more than a few reporters, Ben Kuchera among them. The high horse he's been living on lately, plus his cherry picking reasons at will to break his own mission statement is making it really hard for me to continue taking Penny Arcade Report seriously. So many people are acting as if they've been betrayed by Humble Bundle when they're in fact impressing values and rules on that organisation that they've never had. The organisation owes nobody a bloody thing and I don't know when pay-what-you-want was only applicable to starving independent artists and couldn't be used for anything that's ever made a profit on its own ever.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:
JillSammich wrote:

So apparently some people are upset by this? Some folks will complain about anything.

Including more than a few reporters, Ben Kuchera among them. The high horse he's been living on lately, plus his cherry picking reasons at will to break his own mission statement is making it really hard for me to continue taking Penny Arcade Report seriously. So many people are acting as if they've been betrayed by Humble Bundle when they're in fact impressing values and rules on that organisation that they've never had. The organisation owes nobody a bloody thing and I don't know when pay-what-you-want was only applicable to starving independent artists and couldn't be used for anything that's ever made a profit on its own ever.

The Humble Bundles have set a precedent for being Indie games, and being available on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. And DRM free.

Does that mean I'm upset that this one is only available on Windows and Steam? Not at all. I agree, I can see why some people are surprised, but outraged is sort of silly.

Citizen86 wrote:
Parallax Abstraction wrote:
JillSammich wrote:

So apparently some people are upset by this? Some folks will complain about anything.

Including more than a few reporters, Ben Kuchera among them. The high horse he's been living on lately, plus his cherry picking reasons at will to break his own mission statement is making it really hard for me to continue taking Penny Arcade Report seriously. So many people are acting as if they've been betrayed by Humble Bundle when they're in fact impressing values and rules on that organisation that they've never had. The organisation owes nobody a bloody thing and I don't know when pay-what-you-want was only applicable to starving independent artists and couldn't be used for anything that's ever made a profit on its own ever.

The Humble Bundles have set a precedent for being Indie games, and being available on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. And DRM free.

Does that mean I'm upset that this one is only available on Windows and Steam? Not at all. I agree, I can see why some people are surprised, but outraged is sort of silly.

The fact that THQ, a company clearly in troublesome financial straits, refused to take the time to re-code all their games to be usable on Linux before practically giving them away . . . well, THQ is pretty much Hitler.

trueheart78 wrote:

Added emphasis for anyone that needs a giftee ;)

Hah! I wouldn't be able to touch it for a very long time with all the games I have and limited time. I need to just pull an "Office Space" followed by gaming for a couple months!

MilkmanDanimal wrote:
Citizen86 wrote:
Parallax Abstraction wrote:
JillSammich wrote:

So apparently some people are upset by this? Some folks will complain about anything.

Including more than a few reporters, Ben Kuchera among them. The high horse he's been living on lately, plus his cherry picking reasons at will to break his own mission statement is making it really hard for me to continue taking Penny Arcade Report seriously. So many people are acting as if they've been betrayed by Humble Bundle when they're in fact impressing values and rules on that organisation that they've never had. The organisation owes nobody a bloody thing and I don't know when pay-what-you-want was only applicable to starving independent artists and couldn't be used for anything that's ever made a profit on its own ever.

The Humble Bundles have set a precedent for being Indie games, and being available on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. And DRM free.

Does that mean I'm upset that this one is only available on Windows and Steam? Not at all. I agree, I can see why some people are surprised, but outraged is sort of silly.

The fact that THQ, a company clearly in troublesome financial straits, refused to take the time to re-code all their games to be usable on Linux before practically giving them away . . . well, THQ is pretty much Hitler.

Also I have an SR3 code to give away to a good home. PM me.

....and gone.

Agent 86 is a scholar and a gentleman. Thanks!

Humble Bundles are the new bargin bin of the digital frontier. And I love it.

jamos5 wrote:

Humble Bundles are the new bargin bin of the digital frontier. And I love it.

I see them less as a bargain bin and more as a farmer's market of the digital frontier.

Thank you Natus!

I don't get the outrage. If you're pissed, slide the slider all the way over to charity and don't give THQ a dime. Problem solved.

You guys don't get it. EVERYTHING is a zero-sum game. If this bundle exists, someone else got screwed!

I'm a little confused about the outrage over THQ making money on this though....

People who worked on the games got laid off, and the greedy corporation of THQ is going for a money grab to get more money out of these old games. Umm... correct me if I'm wrong, but would the people working at THQ be getting royalties on these games anyways? I don't think so. They might be working on a new game, but they got paid for these games by way of their salary, unless there was something about them not getting paid for their work in the news I missed.

SixteenBlue wrote:

You guys don't get it. EVERYTHING is a zero-sum game. If this bundle exists, someone else got screwed!

Yeah, I bet they have stock in Hard Drive companies. Those bastards.

EvilDead wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

You guys don't get it. EVERYTHING is a zero-sum game. If this bundle exists, someone else got screwed!

Yeah, I bet they have stock in Hard Drive companies. Those bastards.

It's so much deeper than I first thought!!!!

trueheart78 wrote:

Ok, I'm in, if only for the SR3 sound track.

Hoping to make some awesome cell phone settings with that :D

I think I have to get this for the soundtrack (unless someone has an extra lying around). Crazy thing is that Bonus just gifted me the game the other day. World is going insane, Mayans were right.

Veloxi wrote:

Thanks! Glad I waited on SR3.

Yep, you obviously haven't played SR3. You fool.

And the free copies being given away makes me uncomfortable. It's not too different from people giving generously at sale's time, which is amazing, but if you can't pony up a measly $6 for one of the best times you'll have playing video games...it doesn't feel right to me. WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! TIGERS IN CARS. AUTOTUNE PIMP. WRESTLING MOVES REPLACE CRAPPY MELEE. ********************!

Ah, the tiger escort missions. They were surprisingly fun.

demonbox wrote:
trueheart78 wrote:

Ok, I'm in, if only for the SR3 sound track.

Hoping to make some awesome cell phone settings with that :D

I think I have to get this for the soundtrack (unless someone has an extra lying around). Crazy thing is that Bonus just gifted me the game the other day. World is going insane, Mayans were right.

Just pay over the average ($5.61 currently), and gift the extra key. I kept the soundtracks and everything but SR3.

cyrax wrote:

And the free copies being given away makes me uncomfortable. It's not too different from people giving generously at sale's time, which is amazing, but if you can't pony up a measly $6 for one of the best times you'll have playing video games...it doesn't feel right to me.

Yeah, and I've felt the same way about the other bundles offering Steam keys, too. I see folks saying how much they want THQ to survive, to make the next SR game, or the next CoH, or whatever, but then effectively eliminating a potential sale (of a measly $6) from someone else who might be interested. Probably too P&C for this thread though.

Wow, it's like a Steam sale in here.