Video Game Deals Catch-All

If anyone wants Painkiller Complete on Steam PM me and I'll gift it to you.

Edit: Taken!

Luggage wrote:

Everyone seemed to be "meh" on Painkiller. But Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw actually liked it, so now I am intrigued. Then again there's the pile...

I've been thinking about Painkiller since I saw Yahtzee's review of it too. And now I can give it a spin after silentsod was kind enough to toss me the pack. Thank you again!

D2D has a 20% off coupon (ENDURANCE) this weekend. So you could use it on Mass Effect 3. It is $53.95, or $43.16 after the discount.

Of course, they're turning into Gamefly, but the purchase should carry over.

MannishBoy wrote:

D2D has a 20% off coupon (ENDURANCE) this weekend. So you could use it on Mass Effect 3. It is $53.95, or $43.16 after the discount.

Of course, they're turning into Gamefly, but the purchase should carry over.

Tried to use that for the Deluxe Edition ($57-something) but my transaction failed repeatedly. For some strange reason I used PayPal and they asked for phone verification...

Only bought one game from D2D before (DA2 sale), but this makes me kinda glad my DA2 is registered with Origin...

EDIT: Well whatever happened, customer support fixed it. So that's better. Annoyed that stuff didn't work, but their response to fix it was pretty quick.

Never pre-ordered from them before. But I supposed you get your cd-key or whatever in an e-mail at release time? (midnight pacific I think it said) Then can just download from Origin.

Stele wrote:

Never pre-ordered from them before. But I supposed you get your cd-key or whatever in an e-mail at release time? (midnight pacific I think it said) Then can just download from Origin.

Yep. You just log into the site (Gamefly when ME3 comes out) and get your key, then plug it into Origin. I assume they'll also let you download there, but Origin should be easier.

Oh... it's by Ignition, same guys that made Muramasa. Sounds exactly the same. Oh it's just a button masher... until you play it on hard, then you discover the true game, and the real combat.

Hm... I do have some Amazon gift card money...

EDIT: Speaking of, Muramasa is $9.99 on Amazon right now too. If you haven't played it, rectify that now!

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron is only $19.99 at Amazon today for both PS3 and 360, down from $50. It was in my top three games of the year last year. A platformer/combat hybrid in a pseudo-DMC vein, that's been misunderstood by most people. The visuals are absolutely stunning -- undoubtedly the most beautiful game I've ever seen -- but most people get that. People knock the story because it's not completely spoon-fed to you; you actually have to think about it just a bit (imagine!). If you do, it's quite lovely and bittersweet. Combat similarly gets knocked for being bland and boring, but that's due to a lack of exploration of all the mechanics. I'm enjoying the combat much more now that I'm playing on a higher difficulty setting and have to learn all the nuances. There are only three buttons used in combat, but varying your timing and use of these is what opens up combat from just pressing X all the time. The platforming is also done very well. The environments are the real treasure during the platforming sessions, so don't expect Mario Galaxy-type mechanics, but the camera always rotates to exactly where it needs to be (how often can you say that?) and the controls are precise.

Really, for $20, you need to play this game.

Joystiq does a reasonable job of understanding, even if they still don't get the plot (not that hard, people).

Dark Zero gets it a little better.

Last edit: and Eurogamer.

Just buy the game, people.

If anyone might be on the fence about El Shaddai, I put a brief (for me) write-up in the El Shaddai thread -- the post is here. At the very least read the last paragraph.

MannishBoy wrote:

D2D has a 20% off coupon (ENDURANCE) this weekend. So you could use it on Mass Effect 3. It is $53.95, or $43.16 after the discount.

Of course, they're turning into Gamefly, but the purchase should carry over.

Warning on this one: I sent an email asking for a $4 adjustment since the price has not dropped. It wasn't a big deal to me either way, but I thought I'd try it.

They responded saying they can't do partial refunds, and since the transaction was over a month old, they couldn't refund my money (not true, I work in plastic cards). But I hadn't really paid attention close enough, but they actually had already charged the full amount to my card on this game, not just done an authorization to validate the card then charge at release. They actually hit my card 5 months before the game comes out.

Not happy.

MannishBoy wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:

D2D has a 20% off coupon (ENDURANCE) this weekend. So you could use it on Mass Effect 3. It is $53.95, or $43.16 after the discount.

Of course, they're turning into Gamefly, but the purchase should carry over.

Warning on this one: I sent an email asking for a $4 adjustment since the price has not dropped. It wasn't a big deal to me either way, but I thought I'd try it.

They responded saying they can't do partial refunds, and since the transaction was over a month old, they couldn't refund my money (not true, I work in plastic cards). But I hadn't really paid attention close enough, but they actually had already charged the full amount to my card on this game, not just done an authorization to validate the card then charge at release. They actually hit my card 5 months before the game comes out.

Not happy.

Isn't that how Steam does it -- i.e., charge your card as soon as you make the purchase, pre-order or not?

FYI Newegg has a good deal on wireless Xbox for Windows controllers with promo code EMCNJHN34 they are $36.99. It comes with the Windows wireless adapter.

ebarstad wrote:

Isn't that how Steam does it -- i.e., charge your card as soon as you make the purchase, pre-order or not?

Hmm. Don't know, now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever pre-ordered on Steam. I know Amazon doesn't charge you until the game ships, which is how it should be.

MannishBoy wrote:

CC stuff

Tell them you'll contest the charges if they don't give you a refund. Your CC company will completely back you up on this one - D2D haven't provided you with a product, so they don't have a right to your money. What assholes.

IIRC, Steam hits your card at the time of pre-order.

LobsterMobster wrote:

IIRC, Steam hits your card at the time of pre-order.

I'll never pre-order months out from them if that's true, either. Even Gamestop only charges like what, $5 at time of pre-order?

MyBrainHz wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:

CC stuff

Tell them you'll contest the charges if they don't give you a refund. Your CC company will completely back you up on this one - D2D haven't provided you with a product, so they don't have a right to your money. What assholes.

I thought about it, but right now I'm considering it a lesson learned.

Yes, for most games there's pretty much no point in preordering from a digital store, there's no scarcity of product involved.

The only exceptions I make for this is if they're bundling something else that I can use right now (like another game) or soon before release so I can pre-load. With increasing connection speeds preloads are less useful (plus steam doesn't have the best reputation for reliability on release times), and any preorder discount will be the same if you order months or seconds before release.

GameStop'll take any amount of money between $5 and the full price of the purchase. You get to decide how much that is, of course.

I like to pre-order digital products because they so often include pre-order bonuses (bonii?) these days. It's not like I'm worried they won't have enough bytes for me. You can sometimes get lower prices that way, too (good luck finding Mass Effect 3 Digital Deluxe Edition for $57 on launch day).

LobsterMobster wrote:

I like to pre-order digital products because they so often include pre-order bonuses (bonii?) these days. It's not like I'm worried they won't have enough bytes for me. You can sometimes get lower prices that way, too (good luck finding Mass Effect 3 Digital Deluxe Edition for $57 on launch day).

Which is what I did here. I got the 20% off discount, which I figured was about as good as I'd see on ME3.

Steam does take your money right away on pre-orders, but will 'happily' refund it at any point before the game is released. They did this for me last year with a pre-order on Hard Reset.

Jeff-66 wrote:

Steam does take your money right away on pre-orders, but will 'happily' refund it at any point before the game is released. They did this for me last year with a pre-order on Hard Reset.

Yeah, they'll remind you that they normally don't do it but I think that's more of a CYA in case they can't for some reason. I've never heard of them giving anyone a problem over it. Once they even did a refund for me when the pre-order came with a free game (though I did not install that game and they did remove it along with the pre-order).

Scratched wrote:

Yes, for most games there's pretty much no point in preordering from a digital store, there's no scarcity of product involved.

We do have a weird exception to that here where games will sometimes start with a US preorder price (~$60) and then will switch to a local price (~$100) once it's officially released, meaning that preordering becomes cost-effective if I'm considering buying a game within about 6 months of release.

MannishBoy wrote:

Even Gamestop only charges like what, $5 at time of pre-order?

LobsterMobster wrote:

GameStop'll take any amount of money between $5 and the full price of the purchase. You get to decide how much that is, of course.

That must be if you place a pre-order in-store. I preordered Xenoblade Chronicles on their website yesterday and wasn't charged any sort of deposit.

ClockworkHouse wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:

Even Gamestop only charges like what, $5 at time of pre-order?

LobsterMobster wrote:

GameStop'll take any amount of money between $5 and the full price of the purchase. You get to decide how much that is, of course.

That must be if you place a pre-order in-store. I preordered Xenoblade Chronicles on their website yesterday and wasn't charged any sort of deposit.

Yep, I meant B&M.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

That must be if you place a pre-order in-store. I preordered Xenoblade Chronicles on their website yesterday and wasn't charged any sort of deposit.

Speaking of... that's finally up on Nintendo's site to pre-order, but it just says "shipping late April", while the Gamestop site lists April 2 as release date.

Was there any other place doing pre-orders? I don't see it on Amazon. Thinking I better grab this one in case quantities are limited. And I hate giving Gamestop money.

Stele wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:

That must be if you place a pre-order in-store. I preordered Xenoblade Chronicles on their website yesterday and wasn't charged any sort of deposit.

Speaking of... that's finally up on Nintendo's site to pre-order, but it just says "shipping late April", while the Gamestop site lists April 2 as release date.

Was there any other place doing pre-orders? I don't see it on Amazon. Thinking I better grab this one in case quantities are limited. And I hate giving Gamestop money.

It's a Gamestop exclusive in North America. The only other place to get it new will be Nintendo. Although I don't doubt that resellers will pop up on Amazon fairly quickly. I went ahead and pre-ordered mine because I don't expect it to get a large print run.

Bulletstorm is $6.99 today at Amazon DD. Or $1.99 if you have a holiday promo code.

If you connect your 3DS to a Best Buy hotspot, you'll get a coupon for 50% off Madden 12, Steel Diver, Pilotwings Resort, Asphalt 3D, or Rayman 3D.

Bulletstorm is definitely worth seven bucks. It's very silly, and I don't like the lead actor's voice acting at all, but overall, it's a hell of a ride.