Clear Them Out, While You Still Have a Chance

Summer is drawing to a close. Some folks will be heading back to school. Others will be sending their kids back to school. We've got new consoles coming and the end of the year release schedule. There's not much time left to clear the pile before the new hotness overcomes our resistance to temptation.

If you're interested, m0nk3yboy, has the 12 month pile plan thread over here.

A quick reminder, in order to be considered "Pile of Shame" the game needs to be at least three months old. Otherwise, it's just a new game you haven't gotten to playing yet.

Also, if you are curious about some of the previous threads, Pick's of the Pile, etc... Please go here and check out the spreadsheet I setup.

Let's get on to the games!

This month's Pick of the Pile

[size=30]Far Cry 3[/size]

IMAGE(http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121202145946/farcry/images/c/c6/Far_Cry_3_PAL_box_art.jpg)

"Beyond the reach of civilization lies a lawless island ruled by violence. This is where you find yourself stranded, caught in a bloody conflict between psychotic warlords and indigenous rebels.
Encounter a disturbed and memorable cast of characters as you take a gritty journey to the dark side of humanity. Unravel a deep and emotional story of survival, written by a Writers Guild Award winner." (Far-Cry.ubi.com)

[u]Multi-Platform[/u]
Asura's Wrath - Hemi
Bastion - jdzappa
Bioshock Infinite - Fedaykin98
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 - Hemi
The Darkness 2 - honeycut1
Dark Souls - manta173
Dead Space 3 - stevenmack
Far Cry 3 - manta173, Kraint
Max Payne 3 - MadGav
McPixel - kstress71, Garden Ninja
Megamind - honeycut1
Omerta: City of Gangsters - SallyNasty
Penny Arcade: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Episode 1 - Eleima
Poker Night 2 - Eleima
Saint's Row the Third - Poppinfresh
Shatter - Eleima
Skyrim - jdzappa
Sniper: Ghost Warrior - Hemi
Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 - Hemi
Stealth Bastard Deluxe: Tactical Espionage Arsehole - Garden Ninja
Trine 2 - honeycut1

PC
Adam's Venture Episode 2 - stevenmack
Adam's Venture Episode 3 - stevenmack
Chronicles of Mystery: The Scorpio Ritual - stevenmack
Civilization V God and Kings - jdzappa
Faerie Solitaire - Eleima
Jack Keane - stevenmack
Napoleon Total War - jdzappa
Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 - AUs_TBirD
Penumbra: Black Plague - kstress71
Quake - bobbywatson
Star Craft II: Wings of Liberty - MadGav
Star Craft II: Heart of the Swarm - CptDomano
Unreal - AUs_TBirD

[u]Xbox 360[/u]
South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play! - honeycut1

[u]PS3[/u]
Demon's Souls - Fedaykin98
Infamous 2 - brokenclavicle, kstress71
Ni No Kuni - brokenclavicle
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - walterqchocobo
Uncharted 2 - honeycut1
Valkyria Chronicles - bobbywatson

[u]3DS[/u]
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate - ClockworkHouse

[u]DS[/u]
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth - AUs_TBirD
Professor Layton and the Curious Village - bobbywatson

[u]Wii[/u]
Pandora's Tower - ClockworkHouse

[u]SNES[/u]
Illusion of Gaia - AUs_TBirD

Thanks for putting me on the list.

Dark souls may take 2 months or more though... lol

Well, the pile took a critical hit during the Steam sale so I've got a LOT of catching up to do. Good job there's no new games coming out in Aug...(checks Steam)....ah crap....

Anyway...going to continue my attempt to get clear of my adventure game backlog with Chronicles of Mystery: The Scorpio Ritual (PC), Jack Keane (PC). I suppose I'm committed now to also completing Adam's Venture Episode 2(PC) and Adam's Venture Episode 3 (PC) despite the first one being a poorly disguised bible game (once you get into the game itself that is, you'd not know it from the advertising, aside from the title).

stevenmack wrote:

Well, the pile took a critical hit during the Steam sale so I've got a LOT of catching up to do. Good job there's no new games coming out in Aug...(checks Steam)....ah crap....

Anyway...going to continue my attempt to get clear of my adventure game backlog with Chronicles of Mystery: The Scorpio Ritual (PC), Jack Keane (PC). I suppose I'm committed now to also completing Adam's Venture Episode 2(PC) and Adam's Venture Episode 3 (PC) despite the first one being a poorly disguised bible game (once you get into the game itself that is, you'd not know it from the advertising, aside from the title).

Pass on that apple, bro...

Hemidal wrote:

Pass on that apple, bro...

Yeah, well, you know how it goes - you grab the current model on impulse and then a new, juicier version pops up a few months later with smaller pips and less sin per megabite.

Please, put me down for Pandora's Tower (Wii). It's my primary goal for this month and will not fall prey to Shin Megami Tensei.

I am going to put down Omerta: City of Gangsters on the 360. Will probably put down something else obscure later:)

So here are my plans for August: Trine 2 (360/multi), South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play! (360), Uncharted 2 (PS3), and The Darkness 2 (360/multi)

This month I'll start out with a conservative outlook. Infamous 2 being rolled over from the previous month's thread and... that'll be it for now

I'll take Far Cry 3 for my list. Nothing else I'm playing can actually be finished(Minecraft, Civ 5, etc.).

Hemidal wrote:
stevenmack wrote:

Adam's Venture Episode 3 (PC) despite the first one being a poorly disguised bible game (once you get into the game itself that is, you'd not know it from the advertising, aside from the title).

Pass on that apple, bro...

Makes for a boring game if you do that. And don't get me started on the lack of romance options if you don't go with Eve...

As for me this month, I'm going to clean up the damage from my recent purchases/gifts. Even though three of them are over three months old, since I plan on finishing them with in a month or so from receiving them, I don't feel they need to be declared. I'll just quietly work on my shame in secret. :p

I'll be declaring Shatter (Multi-Platform) and... To my greatest shame and horror... Faerie Solitaire (PC). I'm almost halfway through, I think, so might as well beat it and clear it off the pile.

Adam's Venture Episode 2 is down - Spoilers: turns out Solomon's Greatest Treasure(tm) was his ability to preserve books in open caverns with a nearby source of moisture. Now on to episode three, where I will be sadly disappointed that our hero wasn't crushed painfully by falling rocks.

(as an aside, they've actually got a pretty good adventure game engine and they know how to put puzzles together. Perhaps if they put both to better use with something a little more...objective, then they might actually have something here).

* And that's Adam's Venture Episode 3 done as well. In an entirely shocking twist it turns out the eeeeeeevil moustache twirling Atheists were going to start a world war between the Abrahamic religions and then sell guns to everyone. I know it's on MY to-do list!

Yeesh. Glad this only cost me about a £1 or so in the sale. I'd hate to think I actually contributed anything to these developers in any significant way.

I'm a sucker for military shooters. I'm going to finish Sniper: Ghost Warrior this month. I may also take a shot at Black Ops 2. I never get tired of the slow-mo bullet track on the headshot in Sniper.

So, you remember how I declared Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth two or three months in a row? Remember how at the end of last month I estimated it'd be done in another 90 minutes or so? Yeah, well, the credits rolled at nearly midnight on August 1st after an additional almost 4 hours. Missed the July deadline by a day, but it's done now.

Don't know if the Ace Attorney series has become dryer and more drawn out, or if, now after having played my fourth game in the series, the style, writing and humor are just starting to wear a bit thin. The many cameos from previous games were nice, but in some ways drag on a too long (I'm trying not to look at you, Wendy Oldbag...). I hope the next title in the series I play (never got to Apollo Justice and Ace Attorney 5 comes out around Christmas) shakes things up in a good way, or at the very least, removes much of the "filler" text the player has to click through, which causes the game to often slow to a glacial pace.

Uh, declarations for August:
Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 (PC) - I'm roughly a third through, and old-school style RPGs are digital crack to me.
Unreal (PC) - the bot AI and movement, which works so well in multiplayer modes, is actually really irritating in single player, but I'm determined to get through this.
Illusion of Gaia (SNES) - Let's see if this happens. I never got into it when I bought it 18 years ago, but I worked through about 25% so far. Still not sure why it was so hyped, but it's not terrible either.

In other news, I just bought my first next...current....nearly last-gen system (not counting the Wii) - a PS3! Go go pile progess!!!

I'm not declaring Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams again. If I happen to beat the final boss, I'll say so, but I'm not counting on that happening anytime soon.

I was hoping to get a little more gaming in prior to baby's arrival but that didn't happen (July 31st baby--12 days early). So, I'm going to just put Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction on the list for August. I'm about halfway through Jeanne D'arc--so might be able to chip away at that game during my shift with the newborn but I don't hold out much hope of finishing it.

Here are my August commitments:

Napoleon Total War - Gotta finish this before Rome Total War 2 next month or I'll never get it done

Civ V God and Kings - Same reason

Skyrim - No chance in hell I will beat this but might as well put it down

[b]Bastion[b]

Plants VS Zombies - Playing with my son

Max Payne 3 - PC - story so far is sooooooooo bad.
Starcraft II - PC (Campaign)

MadGav wrote:

Starcraft II - PC (Campaign)

Wings of Liberty of Heart of the Swarm?

Welp, since I'm pretty close to the end already, I'm going to put Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm (PC) down for sure.

After that, it's pretty much a toss up with games like SMT IV and Firefall taking up most of the gaming time now. I'll probably add more sporadically throughout the month.

I've cleared six stages of Faerie Solitaire, and good gired, the story is just soooo awful.....
Of course, Guild Wars 2 is down for maintenance for six hours today (while all you North Americans are sleeping, but I'm awake! I want my game, kitten! ). So I'm using this opportunity to make progress with the pile.

Asura's Wrath is all sorts of ridiculous, but in a good way. I like the episode breakout, it makes picking it up, finishing an episode or two a night really, really easy. The episode bumpers catch you back up if your time away is extended for any reason.

Sniper: Ghost Warrior checkpointed me in a bad spot. I won't lie, I enabled cheats and went into God mode to get past it. That let me finish out the chapter. I then turned God mode off. Not a bad game, but it's definitely not a top level developer.

AUs_TBirD wrote:

Illusion of Gaia (SNES) - Let's see if this happens. I never got into it when I bought it 18 years ago, but I worked through about 25% so far. Still not sure why it was so hyped, but it's not terrible either.

Even back when it first came out, I generally found it worth my time only because I didn't have anything else new and unplayed. Like you say, it was good, but not great. I think they just had a decent marketing machine trying to hype it back then, IIRC.

mrtomaytohead wrote:
AUs_TBirD wrote:

Illusion of Gaia (SNES) - Let's see if this happens. I never got into it when I bought it 18 years ago, but I worked through about 25% so far. Still not sure why it was so hyped, but it's not terrible either.

Even back when it first came out, I generally found it worth my time only because I didn't have anything else new and unplayed. Like you say, it was good, but not great. I think they just had a decent marketing machine trying to hype it back then, IIRC.

I remember playing it a little after it had come out and found that, while it was not quite as solid as, say, Zelda, it was still a pretty decent Adventure/Action RPG. What clicked with me was the setting, it being an alternate history of the real word (it was alt. hist., non?).

brokenclavicle wrote:
mrtomaytohead wrote:
AUs_TBirD wrote:

Illusion of Gaia (SNES) - Let's see if this happens. I never got into it when I bought it 18 years ago, but I worked through about 25% so far. Still not sure why it was so hyped, but it's not terrible either.

Even back when it first came out, I generally found it worth my time only because I didn't have anything else new and unplayed. Like you say, it was good, but not great. I think they just had a decent marketing machine trying to hype it back then, IIRC.

I remember playing it a little after it had come out and found that, while it was not quite as solid as, say, Zelda, it was still a pretty decent Adventure/Action RPG. What clicked with me was the setting, it being an alternate history of the real word (it was alt. hist., non?).

Yeah, it seemed that way. You even visited the Great Wall of China.

According to Wikipedia, it was Nintendo published, and promoted via Nintendo Power and such, explaining why it got more attention back then.

Finished Chronicles of Mystery: The Scorpio Ritual. About as middling as an adventure game can get. Horribly let down by one of the worst translations I've seen in a while and as such barely makes any sort of coherent sense. Otherwise, 'saright I guess.

Eleima wrote:
MadGav wrote:

Starcraft II - PC (Campaign)

Wings of Liberty of Heart of the Swarm?

Sorry - Wings of Liberty !

I'm really far behind

My track record lately has SUUCKED, and it doesn't look to let up soon. So I'm only DECLARING games once I actually finish them until I can have more time to consistently dedicate to gaming.

That being said, I just finished McPixel. Umm, yeah, it's a game. It's wacky and retro, the tune is catchy (which is good because it loops about every 13 seconds), but I can't get behind the pixel-hunt nature of the gameplay.

For a fleshed out Ludum Dare game, though, it was pretty good. Definitely worth the fiver.

Now I'm off to play.... nope, nope, not gonna say it.

mrtomaytohead wrote:
brokenclavicle wrote:
mrtomaytohead wrote:
AUs_TBirD wrote:

Illusion of Gaia (SNES) - Let's see if this happens. I never got into it when I bought it 18 years ago, but I worked through about 25% so far. Still not sure why it was so hyped, but it's not terrible either.

Even back when it first came out, I generally found it worth my time only because I didn't have anything else new and unplayed. Like you say, it was good, but not great. I think they just had a decent marketing machine trying to hype it back then, IIRC.

I remember playing it a little after it had come out and found that, while it was not quite as solid as, say, Zelda, it was still a pretty decent Adventure/Action RPG. What clicked with me was the setting, it being an alternate history of the real word (it was alt. hist., non?).

Yeah, it seemed that way. You even visited the Great Wall of China.

According to Wikipedia, it was Nintendo published, and promoted via Nintendo Power and such, explaining why it got more attention back then.

Back then, the entire industry loved any game that had Square on the label, and even though the game was good, the name alone created a lot of attention.

Wait, scratch that, I'm wrong. Just saw that that was an Enix game prior to the merger. Huh, no kidding.

First time doing this, hopefully my list is appropriate.

These two games are going off the backlog before the end of August:

  • Quake 1 (PC) (almost done)
  • Valkyria Chronicles (PS3) (in chapter 14 out of 19)
bobbywatson wrote:

First time doing this, hopefully my list is appropriate.

These two games are going off the backlog before the end of August:

  • Quake 1 (PC) (almost done)
  • Valkyria Chronicles (PS3) (in chapter 14 out of 19)

Spot on. Any game older than 3 months is up for claiming as long as you plan to finish them in the current month (3 months at the end of the year).