ianunderhill vs. cancer (RIP Nick)

LiquidMantis wrote:

That's what... oh, nevermind.

"I was in the pool!"

clover wrote:

We've lost a brother, but gained a Sister. The world is a dark and beautiful place. Thank you for staying.

I was looking for a way to express this same sentiment. Thank you clover, you did it much better than any of my attempts.

Welcome, Sister! We'll turn you into a gamer in no time.

Sister - If we don't scare you off on Monday, there is a local event happening the following Saturday that you and your husband can join - http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/1...

Sister wrote:
trichy wrote:

Welcome! You'll find us a warm and welcoming people. Well, except for Q-Stone, but as long as you don't pet his fur in the wrong direction, he's harmless.

Already have, you all helped me to get through what felt like a very dark and impossible time.

Read in this bolded context had me giggling.

Yellek wrote:
Sister wrote:
trichy wrote:

Welcome! You'll find us a warm and welcoming people. Well, except for Q-Stone, but as long as you don't pet his fur in the wrong direction, he's harmless.

Already have, you all helped me to get through what felt like a very dark and impossible time.

Read in this bolded context had me giggling. :)

Geez!!! I didn't think of it that way. Oh boy. That's hilarious!!

Eleima wrote:

So glad you're sticking around, Sister. Promise we don't bite... Much hard. ;)

FTFY

Happy to see you're hanging out with us Sister. You will find love, friendship and awesomeness in our little gang of gamers, even if you aren't a gamer. You ARE welcome to watch.

Spoiler:

(cue "watch" jokes now)

groan wrote:

You ARE welcome to watch.

Spoiler:

(cue "watch" jokes now)

Obligatory:

IMAGE(http://cineleet.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/bttv.jpg)

I have taken far too long to write anything here, having been at a loss for words, and having seen so many of you state things far more poignantly and eloquently than I could ever have. That being said, I would still definitely like to express my sincere condolences to you, Sister.

I'm not sure whether this has already been discussed, or if it's what people would want (especially you, Sister), but are there any plans to add this thread to the Goodjer Commandments? Even speaking as someone who never met Nick, and who only interacted with him as part of the larger GWJ community, this thread has given me a profound appreciation for Nick, the way he lived, and the positive impact he had on so many people. Not only that, but it has been incredibly heartwarming to see all the wonderful ways that people are remembering and celebrating Nick and his life.

This thread exemplifies the traits that made Nick an irreplacable individual, and that make GWJ one of the best communities on the internet an amazing group of extended friends and family.

RedJen wrote:

Sister - If we don't scare you off on Monday, there is a local event happening the following Saturday that you and your husband can join - http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/1...

REEEEALLLLLY? What exactly is going on? We've not been to the lake without the kids clinging to us! I certainly wouldn't want to intrude, but if you all decide you'd like us to join in, I bet we would be game.

Sister wrote:
RedJen wrote:

Sister - If we don't scare you off on Monday, there is a local event happening the following Saturday that you and your husband can join - http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/115868

REEEEALLLLLY? What exactly is going on? We've not been to the lake without the kids clinging to us! I certainly wouldn't want to intrude, but if you all decide you'd like us to join in, I bet we would be game. :)

Short form is lake fun stuff, more details are in the post linked in the post... Lake, beach commune, inner tube rides, other stuff. In for a penny and all that, you said you wanted to stay, so now you deal with the consequences...

BunbyHeri wrote:

I have taken far too long to write anything here, having been at a loss for words, and having seen so many of you state things far more poignantly and eloquently than I could ever have. That being said, I would still definitely like to express my sincere condolences to you, Sister.

I'm not sure whether this has already been discussed, or if it's what people would want (especially you, Sister), but are there any plans to add this thread to the Goodjer Commandments? Even speaking as someone who never met Nick, and who only interacted with him as part of the larger GWJ community, this thread has given me a profound appreciation for Nick, the way he lived, and the positive impact he had on so many people. Not only that, but it has been incredibly heartwarming to see all the wonderful ways that people are remembering and celebrating Nick and his life.

This thread exemplifies the traits that made Nick an irreplacable individual, and that make GWJ one of the best communities on the internet an amazing group of extended friends and family.

Many thanks. It's hard sometimes to articulate something that is intangible, yet feels like it's tearing you limb from limb, from the inside out. For the first few minutes after I got off of the phone with our dad that morning, all I could manage was to sit in my car and cry and make unintelligible noises. It took me a long time to be able to write anything that was even partially worthy of Nick's memory. Most of it, I still don't think is good enough. The beauty of this place lies in there being so many good people who can approach things from many different angles- so we all might have a slightly different perception, and who knows, maybe one of the people here looks at things from just the angle you need. You know?

Nobody has mentioned adding Nick's thread to the commandments in this thread, but I have no objection to adding it if anyone sees fit. I can't shake thinking 'It's funny, you know, the most overwhelming characteristic of this place is just how GOOD everyone is. Goodjer? Hmmmmn?' Nick lived in a way that really is inspiring. He wasn't making a ton of money, but was doing something he believed in for people he believed in. He found joy in his job, and that is rare. One of his friends said it almost seemed like something monastic, that Nick was just zen-like when working. I'd like to think he found his peace. This whole time, over the last year, he faced the end of his life, you know, I know I'm not the only one he lied to about the staging of his cancer. It was stage 4. He didn't tell us. He told his roommate. I think he didn't want anyone to worry. Because really, I think he knew that there was nothing to do but just live. Either he could live, or he could be dying. Eventually death would come knocking, as it will for every single one of us. It was about the beauty in his days, not the number. He was really something. I still have a ton of stories to share, but I'm hanging onto them. They're too good to just put in a pile all at once.

Nick had told me about you guys, a month or so after his diagnosis. He had nothing to say but amazing things, about how this place is just-- indescribable. How it sounds silly, or too good to be true, but that it really is an amazing community. He was right. It broke my heart to see how much his passing hurt you all, because I felt the same way. Okay, maybe a little different. But what happened after the dust settled a bit, that really blows my mind. The bearer of bad news was embraced, and I really feel quite the kinship to you all. It's not just because you loved Nick. It's because we are all, in one way or another, the same. I appreciate you all, I appreciate the silliness, the smartness of your little jokes, and the warm welcome, because I shuffled in here feeling about as alone as I ever have felt in my entire life. And now, I feel like I'm home.

Thanks. <3

Welcome home.

It is poignant moments like these that make this a second, and to some, a first home. I post nowhere to the degree that I used to when I first came to GWJ, but I always find solace in coming back here most everyday and reading about people's lives.

I don't think that Elysium, nor Certis, could have predicted the impact this place would have on the day to day life of Goodjers that come here, but I hope they are incredibly proud of the community and of themselves to have made this place a safe haven for gamers and non-gamers alike.

Sister wrote:

Nick had told me about you guys, a month or so after his diagnosis. He had nothing to say but amazing things, about how this place is just-- indescribable. How it sounds silly, or too good to be true, but that it really is an amazing community. He was right. It broke my heart to see how much his passing hurt you all, because I felt the same way. Okay, maybe a little different. But what happened after the dust settled a bit, that really blows my mind. The bearer of bad news was embraced, and I really feel quite the kinship to you all. It's not just because you loved Nick. It's because we are all, in one way or another, the same. I appreciate you all, I appreciate the silliness, the smartness of your little jokes, and the warm welcome, because I shuffled in here feeling about as alone as I ever have felt in my entire life. And now, I feel like I'm home.

Thanks. <3

Just stay out of Politics and Controversy if you want to keep liking this place.

Quintin_Stone wrote:
Sister wrote:

Nick had told me about you guys, a month or so after his diagnosis. He had nothing to say but amazing things, about how this place is just-- indescribable. How it sounds silly, or too good to be true, but that it really is an amazing community. He was right. It broke my heart to see how much his passing hurt you all, because I felt the same way. Okay, maybe a little different. But what happened after the dust settled a bit, that really blows my mind. The bearer of bad news was embraced, and I really feel quite the kinship to you all. It's not just because you loved Nick. It's because we are all, in one way or another, the same. I appreciate you all, I appreciate the silliness, the smartness of your little jokes, and the warm welcome, because I shuffled in here feeling about as alone as I ever have felt in my entire life. And now, I feel like I'm home.

Thanks. <3

Just stay out of Politics and Controversy if you want to keep liking this place. :D

I just narrowly avoided being Tannhausered on that exact point

Ok now I've got them feels all over again... :')

Sister, you're right in nailing the feel of this place, it really is good. In the long time I've been lurking and the short year I've been interacting I've never experienced anything quite so refreshing on the internets as GWJ.

Ack, those damn allergies!! That was beautifully said, Sister.

I'd definitely given some thought to it, and I think this thread most definitely belongs in the Goodjer Commandments. It's not just for silliness, there is actually a precedent with a user been tagged after his passing. I can add it later this morning when I get to work if no one else has.

Edit: It is done, this thread is now in the Annals of Goodjerhood. As it should be.

I... uh, there's a lot of dust in this room all of a sudden.

Xeknos wrote:

I... uh, there's a lot of onion dust in this room all of a sudden.

FTFY

We're really glad to have you here, Sister. I still wish I could go back to Chicago and get some more BBQ with Nick (and meet Wordsmythe this time!) like we'd planned, but at least you're around, and you understand the feelings. Welcome!

Goddammit every time I check on this thread, it gets me all choked up. This thread should be added to the manly tears of manliness thread as a warning.

Anyway, welcome to the community Sister. Hope to see you here for many years to come.

Pretty sure someone just reversed a vacuum in my office. It's the only way to explain all this dust.

Welcome Sister, we're very glad you're here.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Just stay out of Politics and Controversy if you want to keep liking this place. :D

QFT

Unless you're the type who likes to argue.

sometimesdee wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

Just stay out of Politics and Controversy if you want to keep liking this place. :D

QFT

Unless you're the type who likes to argue. :)

Nah. Childhood taught me to avoid confrontation at all costs. I'll steer clear.

It isn't dusty in here. I'm just crying.

Sister, welcome.

spider_j wrote:

It isn't dusty in here. I'm just crying.

Me too. Love to you all.

I feel kinda weird posting here, as I only joined the site recently, and only found this thread on the unfortunate day that Nick passed.

That said, I can comfortably say that this thread is a shining example of why I feel that I have found an internet "home". Nick's story touched me to the core. I never met the man, never interacted with him, but I feel that I have a pretty good idea of just what kind of a quality man he was from his posts in this thread.

All too often internet forums are filled with vitriol, one-upsmanship, or silliness (all of which have a place, of course! :)) This thread though, most especially with the way that the community not only welcomed Sister, but surrounded her with love... it all fits into the altruistic vision of how I once thought that the internet was a vehicle for good... for bringing people together who, for reasons of geography, status, whatever, may never have found one another.

I may be a bit sappy now, and I hope I am not talking out of turn, but this just felt like the best place to share the overall good feelings that I have had since finding this place. It just seemed like the right place to mention it. This thread is pinned as one of my favorites, and I read it daily. In spite of the tragic nature of it's inception, the end result reminds me that there are so many good people out there.

Sister, I am glad that you will be around. I am glad that you have found people who also loved your brother, and that you will actually get the chance to meet them. It is the best testament to Nick's life that you are able to commune with others who loved him. Honestly, it's (IMO) the best legacy that one can leave... others who love you and appreciate the time that they got to spend with you.

You folks always get me right in the feels <3

It's been a really busy month for me, and I feel bad not posting or updating more frequently. At present, the gofundme.com donation that was set up in honour of Nick has collected $1,720.00. WHOA! You folks really never cease to impress and amaze me. We've reached 344% of the originally intended goal.

I made up a spreadsheet to keep track of funds, who donated, and how it should be distributed. It's available to take a peek at here for you data nerds to peruse. I replaced the names with numbers for privacy. Also CRC stands for "cancer research centre."

My utmost thanks to you all. The donations are still open for another few weeks if people are still interested in contributing!

I mentioned it elsewhere, but due to some mix ups with how gofundme uses paypal, instead of wepay as their faq's state (...), I'll have to pay some conversion rates and fees to get these into a stateside account that can pay out the designated donation receivers. Ahh, the downsides of having everything on the internet connected to everything else.

Since these collection sites take 5% of every donation, and the conversion rate is approximately 3% of funds converted outside of processing fees, I'm looking at a loss of approximately $140-ish if I've done my maths right, which means I'm not able to afford making my own donation (boo).

I'm not usually one to ask for handouts, but a few people offered assistance with the conversion rates. Those who wish to do so can DM me. If you DM me, please include your mailing address and any food allergies. Not kidding you will totes get cookies.

This is the best worst thread around here. It keeps getting better. $1700! Wow!

Glad you made some new friends, Sister. Very cool.