Saints Row The Third Catch-All

So, Koch Media has purchased Volition and the Saints Row IP. I'm not sure how hopeful to be about that. Koch Media doesn't have the greatest track record. Some of their highlights are Catherine (co-produced with Atlus), Dead Island, and STALKER: Clear Sky. Anyone have an impression of them? Are they the sort to throw huge amounts of money at studios and then let them do their thing in a very hands-off kind of way? Someone please say that they are.

LobsterMobster wrote:
So, Koch Media has purchased Volition and the Saints Row IP. I'm not sure how hopeful to be about that. Koch Media doesn't have the greatest track record. Some of their highlights are Catherine (co-produced with Atlus), Dead Island, and STALKER: Clear Sky. Anyone have an impression of them? Are they the sort to throw huge amounts of money at studios and then let them do their thing in a very hands-off kind of way? Someone please say that they are.

This is what I read elsewhere about them, to quote:

Koch Media will surely f*ck things up. They will absolutely not listen to any fans in any form. They are a mediocre publisher for mediocre products ‘ere in Germany. Producing is not one of their strenghts. So you can almost be sure that METRO will go down the drain. It would even be a better choice of yourself to hope taht Ubisoft picks up the licence for that game.
German publishers had proven to be pretty dip-sh*ts just like EA and Juntas like ‘em. I wish i could say smt better ’bout publishers from the motherland.

Not pretty.

Well that's certainly not encouraing.

Well, maybe the team can form a new studio to make a spiritual sequel elsewhere if this fails? I'm grasping at straws.

Let's get super.

Should time out nicely with my plans to upgrade my PC.

I'm in...

Looks like it was too much to be a DLC. It'll be interesting to see what it does to avoid sitting in the middle ground between expansion and new game. It looks like Steelport plus a few years.

edit: Yeah, definitely a lot more high-tech STAG-like stuff in there, but also a lot of contemporary parts too such as the houses and shops.

I know SR is about doing dumb sh*t, but hopefully they can keep the 'turn it up to 11' at just the right level.

Scratched wrote:
I know SR is about doing dumb sh*t, but hopefully they can keep the 'turn it up to 11' at just the right level.

I think superhero powers are an excellent start.

I am both excited and ready to be disappointed, as I simply cannot understand how you could follow the pure, unadulterated awesomeness of SRIII.

You people are made of stone! I don't care if the next Saint's Row is based on Olivia Newton John music videos, I'm still excited to break out the dildo bat of justice.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:
I am both excited and ready to be disappointed, as I simply cannot understand how you could follow the pure, unadulterated awesomeness of SRIII.
That's kind of what I thought about SR2. But they did.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:
I am both excited and ready to be disappointed, as I simply cannot understand how you could follow the pure, unadulterated awesomeness of SRIII.

Me either, but I'm in.

trichy wrote:
You people are made of stone! I don't care if the next Saint's Row is based on Olivia Newton John music videos, I'm still excited to break out the dildo bat of justice.

OK, see, now I want a Saints Row mission based on the movie Xanadu, where I fly to the top of Olympus and smack Zeus in the junk with my Sacred Dildobat because he's trying to deny my love for roller-disco muses.

The great thing is that's entirely plausible within the context of the game.

I'm cautious because Volition don't exactly have a pristine record with sequels. Red Faction has had most of the poor releases though.

Scratched wrote:
I'm cautious because Volition don't exactly have a pristine record with sequels. Red Faction has had most of the poor releases though.

Wait what?

Saints Row 2 & 3 were fantastic sequels. The only bad sequels I think they've done were Red Faction 2 and the one that came after Guerrilla.

I just finished Saints Row 3 on Tuesday. I would play this today if it were out. It does like DLC a bit, but it's a teaser, not a treatise on the evolution of game design and fun in the context of sequels. Plus, it has junkboxing.

It does appear to show its DLC roots. On the optimistic side, it will have been almost two years since the release of 3, so this is very reasonable timing for a full sequel. Hopefully Volition was able to keep working throughout the transition from THQ to Koch Media, and hopefully Koch is giving them what they need to make this a hit.

I am almost certainly there day one, and that's a rarity these days. If they announce some ridiculous pre-order goodies, I'm probably in for those, as well.

Oh yeah, I'm in! Mindless awesomeness on an epic scale!

I feel like Dr. Krieger after being told of the possibility of kickass robot fights.

This post on the shack has some images.

You're the president? You're fighting against aliens?

Why not?

Fedaykin98 wrote:
It does appear to show its DLC roots. On the optimistic side, it will have been almost two years since the release of 3, so this is very reasonable timing for a full sequel. Hopefully Volition was able to keep working throughout the transition from THQ to Koch Media, and hopefully Koch is giving them what they need to make this a hit.

Before anyone goes crazy, this Koch Media is a German media conglomerate, no relation to the ultra right wing US Koch brothers.

And I'm very cautious, because Deep Silver is also listed as a dev, and they're pretty much on the top of my dev sh*t list because of all the Dead Island advertising crap. I'm probably going to wait until reviews for this one.

Scratched wrote:
This post on the shack has some images.

You're the president? You're fighting against aliens?

Why not?

Sold on this image alone:
IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/j6m7ujNl.jpg)

Scratched wrote:
This post on the shack has some images.

You're the president? You're fighting against aliens?

Why not?


Well, you did declare Steelport an independent nation...

SuperDave wrote:
SR4 trailer

I (action shot) F--KING (action shot) HATE (action shot) TRAILERS (action shot) THAT (action shot) DISPLAY (action shot) TEXT (action shot) IN (action shot) BETWEEN (action shot) A (action shot) FEW (action shot) FRAMES (action shot) OF (action shot) THE (action shot) SH-T (action shot) I (action shot) ACTUALLY (action shot) WANT (action shot) TO (action shot) SEE

That said, bring on the new, awesome insanity!

cube wrote:
I'm probably going to wait until reviews for this one.

Always a wise decision. As much as I loved SR3, considering SR4 was originally an expansion/DLC, I'll probably wait for reviews as well.

I'm in. In like Flynn.

From RPS

In the next open-world installment of Saints Row, Deep Silver Volition continues the story of the Third Street Saints by elevating their status to the highest level – the leaders of the free world. In Saints Row IV, the head honcho of the Saints has been elected to the Presidency of the United States. But the Saints are just getting started. Now the larger-than-life insanity of the Saints series gets a new twist with a catastrophic alien invasion, and the aliens have transported the Saints to a bizarro-Steelport simulation. Wield gargantuan superpowers and fight to free humanity from alien granddaddy Zinyak’s mental grasp. Escape the simulation that’s trapped the Saints crew, or die trying.

cube wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:
It does appear to show its DLC roots. On the optimistic side, it will have been almost two years since the release of 3, so this is very reasonable timing for a full sequel. Hopefully Volition was able to keep working throughout the transition from THQ to Koch Media, and hopefully Koch is giving them what they need to make this a hit.

Before anyone goes crazy, this Koch Media is a German media conglomerate, no relation to the ultra right wing US Koch brothers.

And I'm very cautious, because Deep Silver is also listed as a dev, and they're pretty much on the top of my dev sh*t list because of all the Dead Island advertising crap. I'm probably going to wait until reviews for this one.


The advertising stunt was certainly stupid, but I thought the game (the original, since the one the stunt was for is not out yet) was really well done. It's tense as hell if you play it solo.

Scratched wrote:
This post on the shack has some images.

You're the president? You're fighting against aliens?

I doubt I'll have sunk significant enough time into SR3 by August, but I'm down, just maybe not at launch. Maybe this will encourage me to finish SR3?

cube: You may be interested in thIs tweet from Deep Silver:

@deepsilver: We're leaving @VolitionInc in full creative control of the long-in-development #SaintsRowIV with additional time for polishing. No rushing!