Saints Row The Third Catch-All

tboon wrote:
BlackSabre wrote:
Heh, funny, I'm about 15 hours into it and still haven't beaten chapter 1. I'm just having too much fun whacking old ladies with purple dildos and shooting helicopters out of the sky with my giant purple tank.
+1. I'm 25 hours in and just got to the second chapter.
Wow, I didn't think anyone could say that Insurance Fraud or Trailblazing were bad. the worst thing about IF is trying to find where a lot of traffic is in order to get the multipliers.

I'm about 33 hours in, I've done about all of the 2nd chapter, nearly all the side missions and gang warfare fights and collected all the collectables. I really enjoyed the trail blazing although it's very, very easy. I didn't really enjoy the Insurance Fraud stuff, the controls just didn't feel fun to me. Not a huge fan of the heli assault missions, the hard ones are close to impossible with the xbox controller but so easy with m+k that they are just boring.

Spoiler:
Trailblazing pro tip: Drive up the side walk killing the pedestrians for extra time, don't bother with the cars so much

Insurance Fraud is easy. Just ignore the hotspot indicators on the map and find a stretch of highway within the activity area. That'll give you a constant stream of high-speed, single-direction traffic.

Personally I hate Escort and Snatch missions. The top-level Snatch missions just have too much that can go wrong, and are long enough that restarting is a hassle. I once lost one because the 7th ho was run over and killed by a frightened civilian.

In Saints Row 2, those Trailblazing events were pretty much the same but much harder. Much tighter time constraints. You basically had to do it perfectly, and some of the tracks were very precarious and maze-like, leading across narrow pedestrian walkways and the like. They took out some of my favorite diversions from SR2, namely Firefighting (get in a firetruck and it sends you to different locations to put out burning cars with the truck's water cannon) and Septic Avenger (follow a set route rail-shooter-style as you paint targets with sewage from a waste truck's poop cannon. Because they apparently have those).

They made a lot of weird choices in SR3. In SR2, Assassinations and Chop Shop activities were basically city-wide. Some of your assassination targets would only spawn in certain areas and some cars were more common in other areas but there were no real restrictions on the where and the when. You could even deliver chop shop vehicles to any of the city's chop shop locations. It made things a lot easier but also more realistic. I mean, why does the client care where I found that Bootlegger? The downside was that I'd occasionally jump into a car, either to steal it or just for transportation, and instantly get 3 stars because a chop shop wanted it.

LobsterMobster wrote:
Insurance Fraud is easy. Just ignore the hotspot indicators on the map and find a stretch of highway within the activity area. That'll give you a constant stream of high-speed, single-direction traffic.

Yeah it's not that I found it hard, just that I didn't like the controls.

Personally I hate Escort and Snatch missions. The top-level Snatch missions just have too much that can go wrong, and are long enough that restarting is a hassle. I once lost one because the 7th ho was run over and killed by a frightened civilian.
Does not help that it takes so long for the party to react and get in your car.

DanB wrote:
LobsterMobster wrote:
Insurance Fraud is easy. Just ignore the hotspot indicators on the map and find a stretch of highway within the activity area. That'll give you a constant stream of high-speed, single-direction traffic.

Yeah it's not that I found it hard, just that I didn't like the controls.

Personally I hate Escort and Snatch missions. The top-level Snatch missions just have too much that can go wrong, and are long enough that restarting is a hassle. I once lost one because the 7th ho was run over and killed by a frightened civilian.
Does not help that it takes so long for the party to react and get in your car.

Pro-tip on Snatch: if you make it back to the drop-off point before the "abandoning homie" timer hits zero, you'll get credit for everyone in your group, even if they aren't in the vehicle.

You can buy your way to 100%. There's a cell phone option to pay off a section of the city and make it your turf. This completes the side missions for that part of town.

Not that I would ever do such a thing. Even after spending 2+ hours on a single light cycle race; so much time that my old laptop actually overheated and shut itself down midway through a promising run of the course.

No sir.

gains wrote:
You can buy your way to 100%. There's a cell phone option to pay off a section of the city and make it your turf. This completes the side missions for that part of town.

Not that I would ever do such a thing. Even after spending 2+ hours on a single light cycle race; so much time that my old laptop actually overheated and shut itself down midway through a promising run of the course.

No sir.

You can only do that a maximum of two times, once as a mission reward (depending on which choice you make) and once through the bonus menu. BTW, I'd recommend using one or the other to take over the airport district. It costs $40,000 and there's a building in that district that costs $50,000 alone. You get that, plus the airport, plus a hard Escort activity and some other stuff.

The light cycle activity is a huge pain. My only advice is to take it as slow as you can. Control is more important than raw speed.

Another piece of advice for all our newly initiated: if you ever see Professor Genki walking around on the street, drop whatever you're doing and kill him. He takes a TON of damage and is usually carrying a missile launcher, but if you kill him he'll drop a normal-looking wad of cash worth $300,000. Sometimes you'll miss out because he dies in a weird place and the cash falls through the geometry, or ends up someplace weird or whatever, but that extra cash really helps out early on. Just keep an eye out while you're driving. That huge head of his is easy to spot, even at relatively high speeds.

LobsterMobster wrote:
Another piece of advice for all our newly initiated: if you ever see Professor Genki walking around on the street, drop whatever you're doing and kill him.

He beat the crap out of me a couple of times -- I had no idea how much damage he could take and I don't think I even really scratched him.

Does the Genki cash increase on repeat visits? I've killed him twice now and I swear I earned nearly a million the second time.

Here's what the Wiki has to say on the matter:

In a Saints Row: The Third livestream, V-Singular (Volition, Inc.'s community manager) revealed that there is a 1 in 100 chance that Professor Genki will spawn in the world. If the player kills him they will get "big prizes".[2] As of now, this prize varies from $100,000 through $300,000 up to a maximum of $1,000,000 if the player has the Bloodsucker DLC 4x Scavenger VIP. The player will also level up upon killing him. Genki spawns with weapons (typically the Annihilator or Stun Gun, and sometimes nothing at all) and a large amount of health, so he will fight back. He can make you involuntarily breakdance (Similar to the Mollusk Launcher) and can stun you by hitting you in the balls, and will appear on the radar as an enemy. The best weapon to use against him is the Woodsman.

I prefer the tank, myself.

Both times he broke in on me fighting it out with Luchadores, so I was able to pummel him with their specialist's grenade lobber. It does a good job of keeping him off his feet; he was never able to hit me with any of his wacky effects.

Is there any way to artificially raise your heat from a gang. I need to do an Assassination mission in Espina(I think) and it requires having morningstar heat but I've all but erased their presence from the map (100% in the east district, 97% in the center, and there are never any gang members in the remaining 3%).

Lucky Wilbury wrote:
Is there any way to artificially raise your heat from a gang. I need to do an Assassination mission in Espina(I think) and it requires having morningstar heat but I've all but erased their presence from the map (100% in the east district, 97% in the center, and there are never any gang members in the remaining 3%).

It'll usually spawn gang members specifically for doing that kind of thing. What specifically does the mission say?

Lucky Wilbury wrote:
Is there any way to artificially raise your heat from a gang. I need to do an Assassination mission in Espina(I think) and it requires having morningstar heat but I've all but erased their presence from the map (100% in the east district, 97% in the center, and there are never any gang members in the remaining 3%).

I think there's a cheat for it but that disables achievements. I can't finish the assassination and car theft missions unless I start a new game. It's really annoying. I thought it was standard to have "free play" mode after you finished these kind of game.

I just ran into a strange glitch. I failed a tiger escort mission and came back to the normal game, but I started free falling under the city. I could open my parachute or fall until it would warp me back to the street where I would fall under the city again. This kept repeating so I had to reload my game. Has this happened to anyone else?

I finished all the assassination and car thefts with every district at 100%. The game will spawn in what you need if you have the mission selected. Worked for me.

i38warhawk wrote:
I finished all the assassination and car thefts with every district at 100%. The game will spawn in what you need if you have the mission selected. Worked for me.

Not always. If you do one of the carjackings too late it can become impossible (unless you use your garage or jump into someone else's game).

Spoiler:
It's the Enforcer STAG vehicle.

Jucofett wrote:
I just ran into a strange glitch. I failed a tiger escort mission and came back to the normal game, but I started free falling under the city. I could open my parachute or fall until it would warp me back to the street where I would fall under the city again. This kept repeating so I had to reload my game. Has this happened to anyone else?

That happened to me on the Xbox version.

LobsterMobster wrote:
Another piece of advice for all our newly initiated: if you ever see Professor Genki walking around on the street, drop whatever you're doing and kill him. He takes a TON of damage and is usually carrying a missile launcher, but if you kill him he'll drop a normal-looking wad of cash worth $300,000. Sometimes you'll miss out because he dies in a weird place and the cash falls through the geometry, or ends up someplace weird or whatever, but that extra cash really helps out early on. Just keep an eye out while you're driving. That huge head of his is easy to spot, even at relatively high speeds.

Damn if I didn't run into my first 5 minutes after reading this, was just about to jack a dirt bike and I saw him beating on a civie on the sidewalk. Started unloading on him with my on hand weapons but he was just tossing me around like a rag doll.

LobsterMobster wrote:
Here's what the Wiki has to say on the matter:

In a Saints Row: The Third livestream, V-Singular (Volition, Inc.'s community manager) revealed that there is a 1 in 100 chance that Professor Genki will spawn in the world. If the player kills him they will get "big prizes".[2] As of now, this prize varies from $100,000 through $300,000 up to a maximum of $1,000,000 if the player has the Bloodsucker DLC 4x Scavenger VIP. The player will also level up upon killing him. Genki spawns with weapons (typically the Annihilator or Stun Gun, and sometimes nothing at all) and a large amount of health, so he will fight back. He can make you involuntarily breakdance (Similar to the Mollusk Launcher) and can stun you by hitting you in the balls, and will appear on the radar as an enemy. The best weapon to use against him is the Woodsman.

I prefer the tank, myself.

Then i remembered I had cash on hand and handn't purchase the delivery option for vehicles yet, and just happen to have the tank addon. That made short work of him, 100k was never so easy.

LobsterMobster wrote:
i38warhawk wrote:
I finished all the assassination and car thefts with every district at 100%. The game will spawn in what you need if you have the mission selected. Worked for me.

Not always. If you do one of the carjackings too late it can become impossible (unless you use your garage or jump into someone else's game).

Spoiler:
It's the Enforcer STAG vehicle.

If it's the one that flies, there's a place in the park where there's still a

Spoiler:
STAG
presence even after the game is over.

I just found

Spoiler:
Zimos, the auto-tuned gimp pimp.
Best. Game. Ever.

Bonus_Eruptus wrote:
I just found
Spoiler:
Zimos, the auto-tuned gimp pimp.
Best. Game. Ever.

The best part about that mission is

Spoiler:
Exploding gimp-drawn carriages. I wish those showed up again, but they seem restricted to Zimos' initial mission.

Quintin_Stone wrote:
Lucky Wilbury wrote:
Is there any way to artificially raise your heat from a gang. I need to do an Assassination mission in Espina(I think) and it requires having morningstar heat but I've all but erased their presence from the map (100% in the east district, 97% in the center, and there are never any gang members in the remaining 3%).

It'll usually spawn gang members specifically for doing that kind of thing. What specifically does the mission say?
i38warhawk wrote:
I finished all the assassination and car thefts with every district at 100%. The game will spawn in what you need if you have the mission selected. Worked for me.

It required me to kill any hoes in Espina and to piss off the morningstar. I went around killing hoes left and right, and it wouldn't draw any morningstar out. I decided to start the hard version of escort and then cancel as soon as a decent amount of morningstar were chasing me. Fortunately, it worked and was able to complete it.

Deadmonkeys wrote:
Bonus_Eruptus wrote:
I just found
Spoiler:
Zimos, the auto-tuned gimp pimp.
Best. Game. Ever.

The best part about that mission is

Spoiler:
Exploding gimp-drawn carriages. I wish those showed up again, but they seem restricted to Zimos' initial mission.

I definitely laughed out loud at the spoiler part. It's rare for a game to make me do that.

Xeknos wrote:
LobsterMobster wrote:
i38warhawk wrote:
I finished all the assassination and car thefts with every district at 100%. The game will spawn in what you need if you have the mission selected. Worked for me.

Not always. If you do one of the carjackings too late it can become impossible (unless you use your garage or jump into someone else's game).

Spoiler:
It's the Enforcer STAG vehicle.

If it's the one that flies, there's a place in the park where there's still a

Spoiler:
STAG
presence even after the game is over.

Spoiler:
The Enforcer is the SUV with the machine gun on top. Their patrol vehicle, basically.

Deadmonkeys wrote:
Bonus_Eruptus wrote:
I just found
Spoiler:
Zimos, the auto-tuned gimp pimp.
Best. Game. Ever.

The best part about that mission is

Spoiler:
Exploding gimp-drawn carriages. I wish those showed up again, but they seem restricted to Zimos' initial mission.

Supposedly

Spoiler:
the fact that the gimp-drawn carriages explode is because they're just reskinned cars, and the first time they tested out that sequence, they hadn't bothered to turn off the "explodes?" flag yet. For most of the game's development, the flag was turned off and they didn't explode, but there was always a faction within Volition that thought it was funnier if they did, which finally got their way mere weeks before the game came out.

That might be apocryphal or I might be remembering the story wrong-- it's something I heard on a podcast-- but amusing if true.

SixteenBlue wrote:
Deadmonkeys wrote:
Bonus_Eruptus wrote:
I just found
Spoiler:
Zimos, the auto-tuned gimp pimp.
Best. Game. Ever.

The best part about that mission is

Spoiler:
Exploding gimp-drawn carriages. I wish those showed up again, but they seem restricted to Zimos' initial mission.

I definitely laughed out loud at the spoiler part. It's rare for a game to make me do that.

Yup. For all the weird, exploitative crap in this title, that's the one that makes me go, "It's so wrong!" and giggle with reckless abandon.

So I've done 23 out of 23 assassinations.... but it says there is more, but they aren't showing up in my assassination section. Do I have to progress the story a bit more or something?

BlackSabre wrote:
So I've done 23 out of 23 assassinations.... but it says there is more, but they aren't showing up in my assassination section. Do I have to progress the story a bit more or something?

Yep, more will unlock as you progress and gain new allies.

Ah, figured it would be something like that. Good to know.

I spent a considerable amount of time doing random challenges and side missions over the weekend. Still not out of chapter 1. I've upgraded a pistol, smg, shotgun and assault rifle to level 4 and they are so awesome at that level. Such a fun game to just do complete random stuff.

BlackSabre wrote:
Ah, figured it would be something like that. Good to know.

I spent a considerable amount of time doing random challenges and side missions over the weekend. Still not out of chapter 1. I've upgraded a pistol, smg, shotgun and assault rifle to level 4 and they are so awesome at that level. Such a fun game to just do complete random stuff.

I found fully upgrades SMGs, with dual wielding and all ammo upgrades to be crazy powerful, all the way to the end game.