Summoner Wars Catch All

Boudreaux wrote:
Aristophan wrote:

I find the lack of undo, disturbing.

It is at least teaching me what dumb moves look like.

At the very least, I wish you could move all of your units and THEN confirm them all at once, rather than one by one. I have made so, so many blunders because I misjudged positioning. I've also screwed up the timing of event cards - played one when I should have played a different one first. It makes me really appreciate playing physical board games with understanding opponents where you get a few mulligans and take backs when you screw up and immediately realize it.

My biggest gripe with event cards is that there is no alert for the ones that give you discounts on common units. SO many times I have bought units, then seen the Event card and thrown my iPad across the room. Into a pile of cushions.

Boudreaux wrote:

I'm to the point now where I consciously look closely at every card in my hand at the start of every turn, just so I don't do this.

But this is exactly what you should be doing. Picture yourself drawing the cards at the beginning of the turn, looking at each one. This is what I do every time I play the board game. This is normal, not unusual.

Boudreaux wrote:

I have found myself at times writing little paper notes to myself at the end of my turn that tell me what I'm supposed to do on my next turn. Which is kind of ridiculous. Granted, that's partly my fault for playing six different games simultaneously.

I'd argue it's entirely because you're playing six games simultaneously - if you were playing only one, that probably wouldn't be necessary.

I get the sense that people are forgetting that this is a board game, not a video game, and are expecting video game features and mechanics that don't necessarily fit the design of the game.

Dysplastic wrote:

I'd argue it's entirely because you're playing six games simultaneously - if you were playing only one, that probably wouldn't be necessary.

If I were playing real-time, sure. When I have 8 hours of work between one turn and the next, I'm not going to remember all my grand strategery. However, that is in no way the game's fault.

I get the sense that people are forgetting that this is a board game, not a video game, and are expecting video game features and mechanics that don't necessarily fit the design of the game.

That's a good point. I'd still like to see some sort of confirm or undo feature, because when I play actual board games at a table with people we take back stupid moves all the time. If I played with someone who insisted that every single move be locked in stone with no takebacks, even if I realize a mistake 0.5 seconds after the move is made, that would likely be the last game I ever played with that person.

Boudreaux wrote:

That's a good point. I'd still like to see some sort of confirm or undo feature, because when I play actual board games at a table with people we take back stupid moves all the time. If I played with someone who insisted that every single move be locked in stone with no takebacks, even if I realize a mistake 0.5 seconds after the move is made, that would likely be the last game I ever played with that person.

I hear what you're saying, and I think the problem could largely be addressed by having a) an undo/reset for the move phase, and b) a confirmation box for units that have both a normal and a special attack, to make sure you're using the one you wanted.

I have often mixed up normal and special attacks on my iPhone. It's so small on the screen, and the little icon you drag is hidden under you're finger. I have learned to zoom in so I don't do this.

I'm having trouble with Tundra Orcs vs the AI Guild Dwarves. Any tips?

@Dysplastic.
I messed up with my shot. Stupid small iPhone screen

5000brians wrote:

I have often mixed up normal and special attacks on my iPhone. It's so small on the screen, and the little icon you drag is hidden under you're finger. I have learned to zoom in so I don't do this.

I'm having trouble with Tundra Orcs vs the AI Guild Dwarves. Any tips?

Keep your unit count below his and build your ice walls for magic. Smashers can really put a number on the Dwarves. Thwarters can destroy Thor and Baldur one on One.

Hereafter wrote:

@Dysplastic.
I messed up with my shot. Stupid small iPhone screen :(

Yeah, I did the exact same thing with that exact same champion in another game, so I'm calling it even Nice play though, didn't see that coming. Also, your record is crazy! 100 games, 75% win count? Insane.
I have a pretty good win count but don't have nearly as many games under my belt.

The special ability activation is very poor for the iPhone interface - hence the need for a confirmation when doing a special ability attack.

My Phoenix Elves was 15-0. Now ruined! It was really my fault, I should be playing games while looking after my baby.

Hereafter wrote:
5000brians wrote:

I have often mixed up normal and special attacks on my iPhone. It's so small on the screen, and the little icon you drag is hidden under you're finger. I have learned to zoom in so I don't do this.

I'm having trouble with Tundra Orcs vs the AI Guild Dwarves. Any tips?

Keep your unit count below his and build your ice walls for magic. Smashers can really put a number on the Dwarves. Thwarters can destroy Thor and Baldur one on One.

Hereafter wrote:
5000brians wrote:

I have often mixed up normal and special attacks on my iPhone. It's so small on the screen, and the little icon you drag is hidden under you're finger. I have learned to zoom in so I don't do this.

I'm having trouble with Tundra Orcs vs the AI Guild Dwarves. Any tips?

Keep your unit count below his and build your ice walls for magic. Smashers can really put a number on the Dwarves. Thwarters can destroy Thor and Baldur one on One.

Not sure I follow...How does building ice walls get me magic? Why should I keep my unit count low? In order to hit the Reinforcements event?

I don't have the Thwarters. I've only purchased the Tundra Orcs to get a feel for the online play, not the Everything Bundle. Although, I'm liking this better than Ascension so far, so perhaps I'll pull the trigger soon...

Also: I've sent out a bunch of GC invites to people who've put their ID's on this thread. Mine is 5000brians.

On a good day, I could handle maybe - MAYBE - 12 or 13 brians. But 5000 brians? I just don't know.

GG fivebrian! I need to learn to play those goblins more!

Thanks! That was fun! Only my second complete game.

5000brians wrote:

Thanks! That was fun! Only my second complete game.

It's almost the same for my goblins lol

PS your name is showing up as fivebrians not 5000brians. Did you change it?

Edit: typing on an iPad sucks

@Brian, building for magic means on the last phase of your round, you drop the ice walls for magic points.

The reasoning is that the Dwarves "Beseige the Walls" event can kill your walls. This give them free magic points. So unless you have a really good reason to put one down vs the Dwarves, build them for magic points.

Thwarters are important because Tundra champs cannot go head to head with the Dwarven champs. It's too risky. If he traps you with Defenders and Thor / Spear Rounders or any range attackers yourchamp is pretty much toast. Thwarters however can block all champs with ease. Even better, Thwarters makes the Heroic Feats event obsolete. Your Shamans are also better than their Spearmens. Your Smashers are also their worst nightmare since it takes 2 hits to kill them with their champs. If you're having problems with Baldur, freeze then smash him. Can't dodge when he's frozen :0).

Hope this helps!

@pacman, you're getting pretty amazing rolls with your apes. lol

Edit1: STOP rolling perfects omg!

Edit2: Did not know that the apes kill the smashers in 1 hit. That's crazy.

Hereafter wrote:

@pacman, you're getting pretty amazing rolls with your apes. lol

Edit1: STOP rolling perfects omg!

Edit2: Did not know that the apes kill the smashers in 1 hit. That's crazy.

Well, I didn't get them at quite the right time, of my 9 rolls against your summoner, only got 3 hits

And indeed, the gorillas are the ideal counter to the smashers.

Bur regardless of any of that you still seem to have my number :p

Pacman, I'm going to challenge you with the Jungle Elves (Trying to avoid mirror matches).
Is that okay?

Have a physical copy of the game under trade negotiations on boardgame geek. Primarily to play with the wife.

Trying to decide if spending $16 more dollars on top of $60 is worthwhile. I'd again probably be using it for the same purpose. (But it would arrive faster)

MitchellW wrote:

Have a physical copy of the game under trade negotiations on boardgame geek. Primarily to play with the wife.

Trying to decide if spending $16 more dollars on top of $60 is worthwhile. I'd again probably be using it for the same purpose. (But it would arrive faster)

I've got the Master Set and have yet to play it. Ugh..

@Hereafter

Go ahead, I'll go with something else.

Nice games Torq and Pacman.

Orcs vs orcs with Torq couldn't have been any closer. I thought I had a shot when Blagog missed all 5 attack rolls, but with your summoner right behind him I didn't have much chance of being THAT lucky. Great game!

Pacman, I'll give you all credit but that loss was my own stupid blunder. I summoned that Cultist specifically to take out your smasher, then used all my moves before getting him in place. Once again the lack of a move undo rears it's head. Sigh... I need a rematch on that one.

Boudreaux wrote:

Pacman, I'll give you all credit but that loss was my own stupid blunder. I summoned that Cultist specifically to take out your smasher, then used all my moves before getting him in place. Once again the lack of a move undo rears it's head. Sigh... I need a rematch on that one.

No argument from me on that one. I was a bit mystified watching your move play out. As soon as I saw you summon the cultist I assumed the smasher was gone. But then..... It wasn't :p

We'll see what happens on the rematch

@Pacman, did something happen or you couldn't bare to harm your own kind?

Pacman wrote:
Boudreaux wrote:

Pacman, I'll give you all credit but that loss was my own stupid blunder. I summoned that Cultist specifically to take out your smasher, then used all my moves before getting him in place. Once again the lack of a move undo rears it's head. Sigh... I need a rematch on that one.

No argument from me on that one. I was a bit mystified watching your move play out. As soon as I saw you summon the cultist I assumed the smasher was gone. But then..... It wasn't :p

We'll see what happens on the rematch :)

I still can't believe I goofed that up. Good grief.

Hereafter wrote:

@Pacman, did something happen or you couldn't bare to harm your own kind? :-)

Huh, I don't know what happened. I joined, but now it is gone....

Hmmm, looks like I also have a forfeit now, did you maybe accidentally set the time low (like 30 minutes or an hour)? I don't think I looked at the time when accepting.

Send a new invite and I will try to join again :p

You could be right, I had to reinstall the app. Kept crashing during online games. Invite sent.

Wait a second...

I'm playing a game right now as the Phoenix Elves, versus the Guild Dwarves. It's my turn, and it's the Summoning phase ("You May Summon Units to the Battlefield"). I have 10 cards in my magic pile. In my hand is Kaeseeall, a Guardian and a Warrior, plus a couple event cards.

BUT I CAN'T SUMMON ANYTHING! Is there a GD event card that prevents summoning? I can't seem to find one in the discard pile.

Bug? Or am I missing something?

Do you have any open spots next to walls that you control?

Oh. Duh. No walls. That would explain it.