Summoner Wars Catch All

Yeah, in addition to me not quite getting enough hits to get Kalon up to a 4 strength attack that would make hitting Baldar harder. But despite any whining on my part about the dice, it was still nicely played on your side.

Even though I'm new to the game, I have noticed that "got some help from the dice" and "won the game" do seem to have a fairly strong positive correlation!

Case in point -- my speedy Knight rolling 2/2 hits to get Elien down to 0 health before Elien would have auto-defeated him. If that hadn't happened, I was down to my last two cards in my deck, whereas I think you had a good six or seven left -- it would have been tough for me to win!

While that is true, you also only got 2 of 4 the previous turn, so you were 4 of 6 overall, right on the odds. I lost the game when I didn't move Elien back one square the turn before you brought Leah out. Which was dumb, because I specifically thought about the move you made (wall, summoning surge, champion to Elien), and then didn't make the counter move. The randomness that hurt me in that game was that I didn't see another wall the whole game (so must have been both in last 5 cards). Can be hard to defend Elien without at least a second wall.

I would call that mostly good play on your part for the win, not luck

Dysplastic, Hereafter, thanks for the invites! You guys both opted to play Cloaks against me, so it's interesting seeing how those two games are playing out differently from one another so far.

Pacman, you've certainly got me on the ropes in our current game... I'm just barely hanging on vs your offense. It looks at this point like I *might* be able to survive the current assault (with the help of some favorable dice rolls), but I'm not sure how I might be able to take down your still-healthy Prince Elien, plus whatever additional cards you still have in hand!

WolverineJon wrote:

Pacman, you've certainly got me on the ropes in our current game... I'm just barely hanging on vs your offense. It looks at this point like I *might* be able to survive the current assault (with the help of some favorable dice rolls), but I'm not sure how I might be able to take down your still-healthy Prince Elien, plus whatever additional cards you still have in hand!

It was a nice try on your part to get out of it, but no dice ;). Fire beasts are a nice counter to Guardian Knights. I went a little more aggressive in that one than I like to with Phoenix Elves, I think I maybe caught you a little unaware by going for more units on the board than my usual style. Nice game!

Pacman wrote:

It was a nice try on your part to get out of it, but no dice ;). Fire beasts are a nice counter to Guardian Knights. I went a little more aggressive in that one than I like to with Phoenix Elves, I think I maybe caught you a little unaware by going for more units on the board than my usual style. Nice game!

Haha, great play by you to end it. I thought I was pretty clever to put Sera in a position where she could take a shot at your Holleas and still be protected, but I overlooked the Fire Beast special ability, and you wasted no time in taking advantage of that. Great game!

Have iPad (yay!) and dropped the $4.99 to the get the 'everything' pack. I'll be slowly sending GC requests to people on this thread who look like they're still playing. In my meantime my GC name is still: Maclintok

p.s. - any word yet on when they'll be releasing a new faction pack with all the newer stuff (Master Set & beyond)?

Maclintok wrote:

Have iPad (yay!) and dropped the $4.99 to the get the 'everything' pack. I'll be slowly sending GC requests to people on this thread who look like they're still playing. In my meantime my GC name is still: Maclintok

p.s. - any word yet on when they'll be releasing a new faction pack with all the newer stuff (Master Set & beyond)?

Last plaid hat podcast Colby said it was really up to playdek. Doesn't sound like its anytime soon.

Crockpot wrote:

Last plaid hat podcast Colby said it was really up to playdek. Doesn't sound like its anytime soon.

I love playdek and have nearly all their games but this is one area them seem to fall down a bit, their post-release support and development of expansions is not great. I assume its because they are flat out on new titles which they do release at an impressive rate but it is a shame when there is new content available and it takes so long to get released.

Cronox wrote:
Crockpot wrote:

Last plaid hat podcast Colby said it was really up to playdek. Doesn't sound like its anytime soon.

I love playdek and have nearly all their games but this is one area them seem to fall down a bit, their post-release support and development of expansions is not great. I assume its because they are flat out on new titles which they do release at an impressive rate but it is a shame when there is new content available and it takes so long to get released.

Well that is somewhat understandable. SW is on the niche-y side of things and I'm sure their metrics show flatlining sales & download numbers that don't justify taking manpower off the new projects they're cooking up.

Unfortunate that Plaid Hat was not able to write something into their contract with Playdek that would leave the door open to more content pack development.

Maclintok wrote:

Well that is somewhat understandable. SW is on the niche-y side of things and I'm sure their metrics show flatlining sales & download numbers that don't justify taking manpower off the new projects they're cooking up.

I'm not sure that's the case, firstly everything Playdek does is fairly neich-y and it seems SW has been quite big for them, for example the most recent post on their site is about SW winning a few end of year awards from pocket tactics. Secondly, it seems Ascension, which was a huge hit for Playdek and really put them on the map, has run into the same kind of problems with expansions and post release support. The most recent physical expansion was released last year an won't be hitting iOS until June, not to mention all the promo cards which aren't on iOS yet. This looks to have been such an issue Stone Blade (makers of Ascension) have a kickstarter running now for developing future versions of Ascension in-house.

Obviously the people at Playdek are not stupid and have the data to see exactly what is selling but I do wonder a little if they have over-extended themselves in signing up new games and have to meet specific deadlines with limited resources, or if they simply enjoy the challenge of tackling new games and don't find that same enjoyment in updates and minor modifications.

I think there are a number of assumptions you are making there Cronox, and they may be right but they might also be wrong. For one you assume that Playdek has already licensed the expansions for all the games to add into iOS, and this may or may not be the case. If they have to renegotiate terms for expansions that could be a significant delay.

On the Ascension kick starter, that is to bring it to Android and PC, not to replace the iOS version. The speculation I have seen is more along the lines of Stoneblade wanting to keep money/control for themselves rather than any dissatisfaction with Playdek. Also considering there have already been two expansions to Ascension, and expansion(s?) to Nightfall, it certainly seems Playdek has shown a willingness to do them.

But you could also be right that they are all busy working on Agricola

I'm definitely making a number of assumptions and I don’t have any real evidence to back up my speculation.
Hopefully going forward these companies work a bit more to cut down these kind of delays as I think everybody would like to see expansions and updates out to players as quickly as possible.

Who has time for Summoner Wars content when classics like Fluxx and Penny Arcade: Gamers vs Evil need iOS ports, stat!

Pacman wrote:

I think there are a number of assumptions you are making there Cronox, and they may be right but they might also be wrong. For one you assume that Playdek has already licensed the expansions for all the games to add into iOS, and this may or may not be the case. If they have to renegotiate terms for expansions that could be a significant delay.

In fairness that was pretty much my assumption. I think Cronox makes a good case for the Playdek team over extending themselves a bit. If we assume that the ARPU for SW was and continues to be strong then it would make sense for them to take the low-hanging fruit and knock out the remaining factions. The design, code base and art pipeline is already there... just grab an artist and coder each (simplifying a bit of course) for a week max, pound out that content and reap the rewards.

Curious... is there a bug with how Elut-Bal works?

So I was playing a fairly even match against the AI Orcs. Drew Elut-Bal on my next turn with 2 Magic in the bank. Thought I would 'go big or go home'.
The following sequence of events transpired:

1) Drag Elu-Bal next to one of my Walls in the Summon Phase
2) Game prompts me to select Units to sacrifice
3) Select 3 Common Units to sacrifice (6 Cost reduction): Elut-Bal 7 Cost - 6 = 1 Cost
4) Tap the "Done" button (still red at this point)
5) Nothing happens
6) Repeat Step 1
7) Sacrifice 2 more Units, including a Champion
8) Tap "Done" again
9) Nothing happens: also none of my sacrificed Units have returned
10) Fiance proceeds to cluck her tongue as I utter a series of choice expletives before forfeiting the match and shutting off the game in disgust.

Help?

Maclintok wrote:

Curious... is there a bug with how Elut-Bal works?

So I was playing a fairly even match against the AI Orcs. Drew Elut-Bal on my next turn with 2 Magic in the bank. Thought I would 'go big or go home'.
The following sequence of events transpired:

1) Drag Elu-Bal next to one of my Walls in the Summon Phase
2) Game prompts me to select Units to sacrifice
3) Select 3 Common Units to sacrifice (6 Cost reduction): Elut-Bal 7 Cost - 6 = 1 Cost
4) Tap the "Done" button (still red at this point)
5) Nothing happens
6) Repeat Step 1
7) Sacrifice 2 more Units, including a Champion
8) Tap "Done" again
9) Nothing happens: also none of my sacrificed Units have returned
10) Fiance proceeds to cluck her tongue as I utter a series of choice expletives before forfeiting the match and shutting off the game in disgust.

Help? :)

Don't hit the done button, if I remember correctly. Once you've chosen your sacrifices, drag him back out where you want him and it should sacrifice properly

Thanks. I read up on this on the BGG forum as well. Playdek deserves to go to UI design Hell for that one!

Dysplastic wrote:

Who has time for Summoner Wars content when classics like Fluxx and Penny Arcade: Gamers vs Evil need iOS ports, stat!

Hey, I like the Penny Arcade game :p

I would certainly love to see the Summoner Wars expansions come out, but I don't know that we can assume it is trivial work to add them in. Given that every card introduces a rules tweak, and they have to code how all of those interact with each other, I'm not ready to say that is easy (doesn't the faction with the vines introduce some substantially new mechanics?). And if they want to make any of the new factions playable by the AI that is another issue also.

Not trying to be a Playdek appologist here, I just think there are a number of perfectly valid reasons things take time, as much as I would love to have them now!

I feel like I'm in summoner wars hell after getting the master set. Those factions are amazing compare to the older ones. But I have a very hard time finding people to play with. All my friends want to play Xwing. (I know, first world problems) Playdek, take my money! Put the new factions on the iOS!

Double post so playdek can hear my cries.

Pacman wrote:

Hey, I like the Penny Arcade game :p

I would certainly love to see the Summoner Wars expansions come out, but I don't know that we can assume it is trivial work to add them in. Given that every card introduces a rules tweak, and they have to code how all of those interact with each other, I'm not ready to say that is easy (doesn't the faction with the vines introduce some substantially new mechanics?). And if they want to make any of the new factions playable by the AI that is another issue also.

Not trying to be a Playdek appologist here, I just think there are a number of perfectly valid reasons things take time, as much as I would love to have them now!

You're absolutely right. However, I don't think they would need to add ALL the Master Set factions at once. A steady stream of factions, two at a time, would keep summoner wars hype going and keep people interested in playing. It's certainly not trivial to code the AI and so on, but some kind of plan would be nice to hear.

Of course, maybe Playdek is more interested in doing low-hanging fruit like Fluxx where the mechanics preclude any need for the AI to do anything but make random decisions.

Crockpot wrote:

I feel like I'm in summoner wars hell after getting the master set. Those factions are amazing compare to the older ones. But I have a very hard time finding people to play with. All my friends want to play Xwing. (I know, first world problems) Playdek, take my money! Put the new factions on the iOS!

That would be why I stopped playing the iOS version. The Master Set factions change the game so radically, it's hard to go back.

athros wrote:
Crockpot wrote:

I feel like I'm in summoner wars hell after getting the master set. Those factions are amazing compare to the older ones. But I have a very hard time finding people to play with. All my friends want to play Xwing. (I know, first world problems) Playdek, take my money! Put the new factions on the iOS!

That would be why I stopped playing the iOS version. The Master Set factions change the game so radically, it's hard to go back.

2nd summoners is just going to make things worse.

The Orcs are the default opponent deck so I immediately developed a dislike for them. They are douche-bags.

After a couple of false starts I used The Fallen Kingdom to seal an impressive victory over the Orcs. Pro tip: if you're going to play Legion of the Dead, it's a good idea to remember to use it during the Attack phase! Despite some brain farts like that I managed to get Elut-Bal summoned properly this time plus Dragos who turned out to be the MVP as he methodically feasted on those Smashers and Shamans the AI was all to willing to throw at it.

Per interview with Playdek at Pocket Tactics, it sounds like iOS Summoner Wars expansions are coming in July!

Also, if there is anyone out there looking for more games, the league at Quartertothree just started playing again with a small group of people. We are trying a somewhat new format, randomly rolling for the matchups to get people out of ruts on what they chose, and also to let you prepare your deck for a given matchup. I'm having fun getting back into the game a little bit, and more people would always be welcome.

Pacman wrote:

Per interview with Playdek at Pocket Tactics, it sounds like iOS Summoner Wars expansions are coming in July!

Also, if there is anyone out there looking for more games, the league at Quartertothree just started playing again with a small group of people. We are trying a somewhat new format, randomly rolling for the matchups to get people out of ruts on what they chose, and also to let you prepare your deck for a given matchup. I'm having fun getting back into the game a little bit, and more people would always be welcome.

I'm in. Do I need to sign up at quartertothree to join?

Dysplastic wrote:

I'm in. Do I need to sign up at quartertothree to join?

Yeah, that would probably make the most sense. Here is a link to the thread.

Getting registered at QT3 can sometimes take a little while, as they all have to be approved by an actual person, but usually doesn't take that long. If you are getting antsy waiting let me know and I can post to get you included in the thread.

I registered, we'll see how fast tom gets to it.

I'm always up for a match, but I'm going to be in Alcantara Brazil in the next couple of weeks, so I won't be on the internet (because there is no internet connections there) for at least 7 days.

I really want to though. Maybe next month