EverQuest Next: Landmark - Catch All

I left feedback to that same effect in the alpha/beta/whatever forum back when they first instituted the ridiculous upkeep system.

Its meant to keep land available, and not hogged by someone by builds something, then promptly forgets the game and never comes back. Its the curse of F2P that it has to do something like this.

SpyNavy wrote:
Roo wrote:

Signing up for thread, and of course hoping to get a key from Senkrad. Just watched the Steam trailer...very cool looking.

i bought a Founders Pack moons ago, let me see if I have any keys.

Roo - I have an extra key if you're interested - let me know.

Anyone else - I have extra keys as well.

Spy

Cross-posting thanks for double goodness. Thanks again, Spy!

Downloading now, baby!

Razgon wrote:

Its meant to keep land available, and not hogged by someone by builds something, then promptly forgets the game and never comes back. Its the curse of F2P that it has to do something like this.

yep! They learned their lesson from SWG on that one.

So set the upkeep timer to something more moderate, like two weeks. Gives someone time to be out of game for a week or two (holidays, vacation, work travel, etc) but still clears up plots faster than once a month.

personally I feel the upkeep timer is moderate...

The 'cost' is materials you're already gathering and using anyway. You can have a couple months worth of material in 5 minutes or so.

As of Aug 2014, you can deposit a maximum of 15 days-worth of copper into the upkeep bank at any time.

I didn't realize they'd bumped it up to two weeks. That's actually what I was asking for. Woot!

And yeah, the cost in copper isn't that onerous.

It does make sense that they would have to do something like that, and not making it cost a lot of resources and being able to bank it for 15 days is a pretty good compromise. I just tend to play a game in 2-3 week spurts then not again for a couple of months or a year even. If they maybe saved what you built on your claim so you could just rebuild it with a click when you come back or get a new claim, some sort of templating system or something, then I could stop bitching and whining

Senkrad wrote:

It does make sense that they would have to do something like that, and not making it cost a lot of resources and being able to bank it for 15 days is a pretty good compromise. I just tend to play a game in 2-3 week spurts then not again for a couple of months or a year even. If they maybe saved what you built on your claim so you could just rebuild it with a click when you come back or get a new claim, some sort of templating system or something, then I could stop bitching and whining :-)

You can save everything you build as a template.

I fear though that this will lead to the large guilds or largest guild eventually owning everything. Regular players will get pushed out of the primo spots in an orderly fashion. And those same players will lose interest because the only plots available to them are hard to find, too remote, and/or overcrowded.

And I think that while guilds will obviously control large areas, it will be a heck of a lot less onerous than in, say, Archeage.

There's plenty of space for individuals. And you aren't really competing with them for resources. Not in the way you do in other sandboxes. This is still a fairly open and free sandbox.

EQ Next, however, is likely to be more like other MMOs and have more of a guild presence.

Long term Landmark players are likely to be carebears while hard core nutters will go PK elsewhere.

ranalin wrote:

You can save everything you build as a template.

Ah, I did not know that! Oh wait, is that just the template where you can make a table or a building and template it (to sell in the store or whatever) or can you actually template your entire claim? If you can template the claim then I have no more objections

Senkrad wrote:
ranalin wrote:

You can save everything you build as a template.

Ah, I did not know that! Oh wait, is that just the template where you can make a table or a building and template it (to sell in the store or whatever) or can you actually template your entire claim? If you can template the claim then I have no more objections :-)

Pretty sure it saves your whole claim in your templates list.

Right, but if I'm building something in a very specific geographic location (on the side of a mountain, over a waterfall, ...) then templating that, without giving me back my location claim, is pointless.

MoonDragon wrote:

Right, but if I'm building something in a very specific geographic location (on the side of a mountain, over a waterfall, ...) then templating that, without giving me back my location claim, is pointless.

That was my exact thinking. I just made sure I templated each piece as I put them in originally.

In Minecraft, I can build a house that's just 4 walls and a roof and feel darned proud of what I did. In Landmark I do the same and feel ashamed and inadequate. So when I do play I've been focusing on upgrading my equipment rather than building. I do have a plop of land but I'll probably just use it for machines unless a miracle of inspiration hits me.

Giving this a try tonight.

I haven't fired this up in forever and after the Sony sale thing I haven't even thought about the game.

Anyone playing? Anything interesting happening of late? I've seen some cool pics of stuff people are creating, but otherwise know nothing about where the game stands.

I am in the same boat.
I was so hyped for this game and just a few days of play soured me on it almost completely.

I enjoy it when I jump in but don't have time to devote to it. Just hope they don't stall or quit on Next

Yeah, this is likely being put on life support.

Crowfall is using the Voxel tech, and the main reason i was excited for the game (intelligent AI for the mobs) was stripped before Smedley left.

I definitely thought that their end goal was unrealistic but I certainly hoped it would happen. Shame that it won't.

b12n11w00t wrote:

I definitely thought that their end goal was unrealistic but I certainly hoped it would happen. Shame that it won't.

Ditto.

I really hoped that this would be seen through, but honestly I figured it was dead when SOE was sold off to Daybreak.

Ouch pretty sure I bought some ridiculous founders pack for this.

Same... It does give you full access to their version of MIneCraft

I still have 3 steam keys left for the Landmark Beta if anybody wants to see it before it too disappears. I haven't been back to it for a long time but I hear not much has been done. Supposedly they are actually launching Landmark in the Spring but who knows what is going to happen. I am wishing and hoping that they are merging some of the ideas that were supposed to be in Next into Landmark and kind of making a hybrid game out of it. I don't think I will hold my breath

Just got this in my email which is funny because this past weekend i had just reinstalled it to look at the new stuff they've done.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING LANDMARK
On Tues‌day, Febr‌uary ‌21, 20‌17 at 4:0‌0PM PS‌T Landmark game servers
will close.
Starting immediately, Landmark will no longer be available for purchase. All items in the Markeplace with a Daybreak Cash price will have their price reduced to 1DBC.
Additionally, Player Studio items will no longer be available for listing or purchase in the Landmark Marketplace.
For additional information regarding this announcement, please see the Landmark website.
Daybreak Game Company LLC
www.daybreakgames.com

Wow!
Ball = dropped
This is how EQ ends, not with a bang but a whimper