JRPG Catch-All

See, this is the kind of game I want to see show up in the main console FF franchise again. No, it doesn't have to be every entry, but at least once in an entire console generation would be nice.

I'm glad we're at least getting this for the 3DS, but man... I'm very disappointed that we didn't get a single traditional FF title on the 360 or PS3. The closest we got to that style was Lost Odyssey, which was good, but not great (IMO).

shoptroll wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:

Heh, even the spell names are from Final Fantasy.

And crystals. Which makes sense because I think this was originally billed as a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light when it was first announced.

The name Edea is from Final Fantasy VIII.

Farscry wrote:

See, this is the kind of game I want to see show up in the main console FF franchise again. No, it doesn't have to be every entry, but at least once in an entire console generation would be nice.

I'm glad we're at least getting this for the 3DS, but man... I'm very disappointed that we didn't get a single traditional FF title on the 360 or PS3. The closest we got to that style was Lost Odyssey, which was good, but not great (IMO).

I thought LO was fantastic, but there is definitely room for more than one game of that style.

Yup, looks like Bravely Default will be a purchase. I may cancel my PS4 preorder and just enjoy all the 3DS/Vita games coming later this year and early next year.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Speaking of Disgaea, the director of Disgaea 4 is apparently working on a new Vita game for Idea Factory. Idea Factory is the publisher of Agarest War as well as the co-developers of Hyperdimension Neptunia.

No one has mentioned that Idea Factory announced it international branch today in California?

EverythingsTentative wrote:

Yup, looks like Bravely Default will be a purchase. I may cancel my PS4 preorder and just enjoy all the 3DS/Vita games coming later this year and early next year.

Between my 3DS, and my backlog, I'm think I'm set to wait out the next gen 'for a while' too. I'm really excited by the SteamBoxe's controller and SteamOS, plus, the next purchase for me will most likely be one of the new Vitas (or a run-out OLED one, depending on reviews). If the remote play between that and the PS4 works as well as they demonstrate, then I'll be in heaven when I eventually drop the money on that 'big' purchase.

On topic, ETRIAN ODYSSEY IV IS f*ckING AMAZING!?!?

Especially the way I can nibble on this one while the kids are playing.

Clocky, you were spot on in terms of a portable platform being 'right' for my gaming needs. Thanks again!

m0nk3yboy wrote:

On topic, ETRIAN ODYSSEY IV IS f*ckING AMAZING!?!?

Hm. Got the demo last night but haven't played it. Guess I should give it a whirl while it's on eShop sale.

m0nk3yboy wrote:

Between my 3DS, and my backlog, I'm think I'm set to wait out the next gen 'for a while' too. I'm really excited by the SteamBoxe's controller and SteamOS, plus, the next purchase for me will most likely be one of the new Vitas (or a run-out OLED one, depending on reviews). If the remote play between that and the PS4 works as well as they demonstrate, then I'll be in heaven when I eventually drop the money on that 'big' purchase.

If Demyx hadn't already put a pre-order in for a PS4 I'd be waiting on the next gen until either Atlus got something on there I wanted or Final Fantasy XV released. Quite happy with my 3DS, PC and Wii U plus the huge backlog.

Mantid wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:

Speaking of Disgaea, the director of Disgaea 4 is apparently working on a new Vita game for Idea Factory. Idea Factory is the publisher of Agarest War as well as the co-developers of Hyperdimension Neptunia.

No one has mentioned that Idea Factory announced it international branch today in California?

I think it is pretty cool. That should mean more JRPGs at least.

Stele wrote:
m0nk3yboy wrote:

On topic, ETRIAN ODYSSEY IV IS f*ckING AMAZING!?!?

Hm. Got the demo last night but haven't played it. Guess I should give it a whirl while it's on eShop sale.

It was only released in Australia 2-3 weeks ago, but it hasn't left my cartridge slot, and it's even taken over my 'sit down and play' time. My wife even asked "why I wasn't going upstairs to play my 360" and she usually doesn't really bother with what I do with my gaming.

m0nk3yboy wrote:
Stele wrote:
m0nk3yboy wrote:

On topic, ETRIAN ODYSSEY IV IS f*ckING AMAZING!?!?

Hm. Got the demo last night but haven't played it. Guess I should give it a whirl while it's on eShop sale.

It was only released in Australia 2-3 weeks ago, but it hasn't left my cartridge slot, and it's even taken over my 'sit down and play' time. My wife even asked "why I wasn't going upstairs to play my 360" and she usually doesn't really bother with what I do with my gaming. :lol:

Tell her it's because you are TRYING TO MANEUVER AROUND A DRAGON IN NAUGHT BUT A HOT AIR BALLOON.

Minarchist wrote:
m0nk3yboy wrote:
Stele wrote:
m0nk3yboy wrote:

On topic, ETRIAN ODYSSEY IV IS f*ckING AMAZING!?!?

Hm. Got the demo last night but haven't played it. Guess I should give it a whirl while it's on eShop sale.

It was only released in Australia 2-3 weeks ago, but it hasn't left my cartridge slot, and it's even taken over my 'sit down and play' time. My wife even asked "why I wasn't going upstairs to play my 360" and she usually doesn't really bother with what I do with my gaming. :lol:

Tell her it's because you are TRYING TO MANEUVER AROUND A DRAGON IN NAUGHT BUT A HOT AIR BALLOON.

Or there is a giant Kangaroo trying to punch us the death.

m0nk3yboy wrote:

Clocky, you were spot on in terms of a portable platform being 'right' for my gaming needs. Thanks again!

I'm always happy to enable people on handheld gaming.

JohnKillo wrote:

Or there is a giant Kangaroo trying to punch us the death.

But as Australians this is of course not unusual.

Actually I had kangaroo for dinner last night! Try it if you get the chance - a very nice lean meat (but must not be over cooked or gets very tough as it's super lean).

Since we were talking about NIS, might as well post the latest trailers for Guided Fate Paradox. I fired up ZHP again today and while I dislike some of the systems in the game (everything degrades much too quickly; cast a spell and then activate it...what?) and there's entirely too much dialogue, it's still incredibly enticing as a roguelike fan.

I can totally see myself getting tired of her voice.

Guess I'll post this too for those who didn't play ZHP (aka just about everyone).

garion333 wrote:

I fired up ZHP again today and while I dislike some of the systems in the game (everything degrades much too quickly; cast a spell and then activate it...what?) and there's entirely too much dialogue, it's still incredibly enticing as a roguelike fan.

This is the first I had heard of it, and I still have a PSP.

Then I saw the price.

It can wait.

MrAndrewJ wrote:
garion333 wrote:

I fired up ZHP again today and while I dislike some of the systems in the game (everything degrades much too quickly; cast a spell and then activate it...what?) and there's entirely too much dialogue, it's still incredibly enticing as a roguelike fan.

This is the first I had heard of it, and I still have a PSP.

Then I saw the price.

It can wait. :(

I played it and it's really the only nippon ichi game I didn't like. Rogue likes and crazy power leveling don't mix. Too bad really.

Now my favorite nippon ichi game is phantom brave by a large margin. Followed by disgeaia or gig and the world eaters.

Yeah, I have a love/hate relationship with it. There's a lot I like about it, but it's entirely too grindy in some seemingly bad ways (ie. losing your gear when you die, but you die way too often as it's a game play mechanic).

It's way cheaper on PSN, btw.

Dragon Quest 1-8 coming to iOS and Android. Square-Enix is aware that Vita and 3DS both have digital shops right?

I'm disappointed to not be able to get a port of VIII on a handheld (the 3DS port of VII is still not localized), but I'm not entirely surprised by this. Square-Enix has made it very clear that they're pinning pretty much all their hopes for the future on smartphone releases.

shoptroll wrote:

Dragon Quest 1-8 coming to iOS and Android. Square-Enix is aware that Vita and 3DS both have digital shops right?

Perhaps they're trying for a different audience. After all, most Vita and DS gamers are likely to have iOS or Android devices.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

I'm disappointed to not be able to get a port of VIII on a handheld (the 3DS port of VII is still not localized), but I'm not entirely surprised by this. Square-Enix has made it very clear that they're pinning pretty much all their hopes for the future on smartphone releases.

I don't know what SE wants any more. They want to be one of the leaders of AAA games but smart phones and easy money of F2P games seem to be exciting for them. They want to have the public crowd fund their games as well. That seems really gross to me because they want to have it easy and not take the risks themselves. They can port all the FF games but for their smaller games they don't want to touch it and have other publishers handle it. The only thing that seems to be working is they let Eidos do what they want.

sometimesdee wrote:
shoptroll wrote:

Dragon Quest 1-8 coming to iOS and Android. Square-Enix is aware that Vita and 3DS both have digital shops right?

Perhaps they're trying for a different audience. After all, most Vita and DS gamers are likely to have iOS or Android devices.

Maybe they're answering the gamers who complain that modern controllers have too many D-Pads and buttons.

Square-Enix is desperate. Their new CEO has flat-out said that the company needs to change, and change quickly, if it wants to survive. He's mentioned his love of Kickstarter because it allows companies to shunt risk onto their customers (my words, not his), and he's convinced that soon most gaming will be done on smartphones and tablets. They're not neglecting the 3DS and Vita because of their digital storefronts but because Square-Enix thinks they're a dead end.

Reading between the lines, and this is pure speculation on my part, it sounds like Square-Enix ran into the same trouble a lot of companies did this generation: production costs for HD games were much higher than anticipated, both in terms of dollars spent and man-hours required, and the products they got on the shelf didn't sell as well as they needed to in order to make ends meet.

In the past, I've kinda pushed back against the idea that Square-Enix's problems were due to Final Fantasy XIII, but it's starting to look more and more like the lengthy production times for Final Fantasy XIII, XIV, and XV have been a significant drain. And while XIII has sold well, it probably didn't sell well enough. It's the same story as games like Dead Space and Tomb Raider: they needed a mega-hit, but all they got was this lousy blockbuster.

So like a lot of companies, they've become enamored of the low production costs and high returns of free-to-play mobile games, as well as the huge sales numbers of smart phones in general. With the press fawning over how many millions of dollars per day Gung Hu is bringing in with Puzzles and Dragons, I bet it's hard not to be. That's why all their mid-range projects that would have previously landed on handhelds are instead going to iOS and Android, and it's why suddenly every property in their catalog has sprouted a free-to-play mobile spin-off.

I'm curious to see how that plays out for them and how well they hold up over time. It could turn out to be a fantastic success, but I wouldn't be too surprised, frankly, to see Square-Enix collapse like THQ did. They just feel a little too desperate, a little too scattered. I wouldn't be surprised if they're really counting on coming up with the next Puzzles and Dragons or GTA V to survive, which is a bit like having the lotto as your retirement plan.

Word is they are going to try to tap into their fans creativity with their own crowd-funding.

I read about that. I'm not sure I have anything nice to say about it.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

In the past, I've kinda pushed back against the idea that Square-Enix's problems were due to Final Fantasy XIII, but it's starting to look more and more like the lengthy production times for Final Fantasy XIII, XIV, and XV have been a significant drain. And while XIII has sold well, it probably didn't sell well enough. It's the same story as games like Dead Space and Tomb Raider: they needed a mega-hit, but all they got was this lousy blockbuster.

I assume this is how Final Fantasy XIII became a trilogy--attempting to recoup some of that extra cost in production by slapping together another couple games using the same engine and a few new environments.

I am very sad that even the mid-tier games from Square-Enix are headed to the phone vs. 3DS/Vita. Do people really like to play games like that, say Final Fantasy VI on a phone vs. hand held device? As someone who doesn't have a smart phone, I am honestly curious.

walterqchocobo wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:

In the past, I've kinda pushed back against the idea that Square-Enix's problems were due to Final Fantasy XIII, but it's starting to look more and more like the lengthy production times for Final Fantasy XIII, XIV, and XV have been a significant drain. And while XIII has sold well, it probably didn't sell well enough. It's the same story as games like Dead Space and Tomb Raider: they needed a mega-hit, but all they got was this lousy blockbuster.

I assume this is how Final Fantasy XIII became a trilogy--attempting to recoup some of that extra cost in production by slapping together another couple games using the same engine and a few new environments.

I am very sad that even the mid-tier games from Square-Enix are headed to the phone vs. 3DS/Vita. Do people really like to play games like that, say Final Fantasy VI on a phone vs. hand held device? As someone who doesn't have a smart phone, I am honestly curious.

I bought FF for my Windows Phone, but it just doesn't feel right. Plus, the battery on my Lumia820 is not the most robust of the range, so I tend to limit my gaming to devices where battery failure is not so important. If my 3DS goes flat, no big deal. If my wife is trying to call me, and my phone is dead because I was playing games on it...

Let's just say, you only make that mistake once.

m0nk3yboy wrote:
walterqchocobo wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:

In the past, I've kinda pushed back against the idea that Square-Enix's problems were due to Final Fantasy XIII, but it's starting to look more and more like the lengthy production times for Final Fantasy XIII, XIV, and XV have been a significant drain. And while XIII has sold well, it probably didn't sell well enough. It's the same story as games like Dead Space and Tomb Raider: they needed a mega-hit, but all they got was this lousy blockbuster.

I assume this is how Final Fantasy XIII became a trilogy--attempting to recoup some of that extra cost in production by slapping together another couple games using the same engine and a few new environments.

I am very sad that even the mid-tier games from Square-Enix are headed to the phone vs. 3DS/Vita. Do people really like to play games like that, say Final Fantasy VI on a phone vs. hand held device? As someone who doesn't have a smart phone, I am honestly curious.

I bought FF for my Windows Phone, but it just doesn't feel right. Plus, the battery on my Lumia820 is not the most robust of the range, so I tend to limit my gaming to devices where battery failure is not so important. If my 3DS goes flat, no big deal. If my wife is trying to call me, and my phone is dead because I was playing games on it...

Let's just say, you only make that mistake once.

Yup, this. It's why I tend to limit my phone gaming to Sudoku and other processor/battery-lite applications, until I'm home and fire up the hidden object games.

Yeah, I'd far rather play games on a dedicated gaming handheld like the 3DS or PS Vita than a phone. I've tried playing FF3 on my phone and the controls flat out suck.