JRPG Catch-All

This thread has opened my eyes. There are people out there that actually thought the FFVI opera sequence wasn't spoiled by that hideous noise pouring out over otherwise flawless 16-bit composition.

RoughneckGeek wrote:

This thread has opened my eyes. There are people out there that actually thought the FFVI opera sequence wasn't spoiled by that hideous noise pouring out over otherwise flawless 16-bit composition.

I thought the digitized opera "voices" were laughably horrible even the first time I played it (I was a teenager when the game released, and it was one of a very, very few SNES games I was able to buy within the first month of release). It was like an opera as sung by the teacher from Charlie Brown. "WAH WAH WAAAAAH WAAAAAAH! WAH WAH WAAAAH WAAAAAH!"

I do consider the instrumental composition of the opera sequence to be outstanding, and the opera sequence as a whole (including the player bits, like running up into the rafters and fighting Ultros, etc) was one of my favorite parts of the game in spite of the awful voices.

I cannot argue to nostalgia bias whatsoever. At the time it was unlike anything I had ever come to expect in a video game, and, well, even though it was a terrible midi-sound, I had a smile going from ear-to-ear for the whole thing. Hell, if they made an intentionally off-key horrid one for Locke as he interjected, I'd have probably laughed my ass off.

Was it a bad idea? I dunno, but I loved it at the time and, considering limitations of the tech, don't really have a recommendation for how to change it. But that opera scene will always remain one of the shining moments of "video games are capable of amazing, powerful, emotional experiences beyond power-ups and various sorts of points". The opening of Final Fantasy IV, which I played at the age of 7 or 8 for the first time, is the same sort of thing.

So today, sure, it's laughable. But for me, I don't care how young I was, that moment was beautiful.

The opera scene is still one of my favorite even with the bad midi voices. I smile every time I get to that part when replaying that game.

This version from the Distant Worlds concert series is pretty good:

I just saw the GBA version of FFVI at the used game shop I was at last night. You people are making me want to buy it.

walterqchocobo wrote:

The opera scene is still one of my favorite even with the bad midi voices. I smile every time I get to that part when replaying that game.

This version from the Distant Worlds concert series is pretty good:

And because I've been digging them since discovering them at MAGFest:

Basically, it's a really good melody to work with.

ALSO

Looks like Clocky has something to be happy about. Pandora's Tower confirmed for Spring 2013.

ccesarano wrote:

Looks like Clocky has something to be happy about. Pandora's Tower confirmed for Spring 2013.

YAY!

ClockworkHouse wrote:
ccesarano wrote:

Looks like Clocky has something to be happy about. Pandora's Tower confirmed for Spring 2013.

YAY!

I has a happy!

In less exciting JRPG news, Final Fantasy: All the Bravest is now listed in iTunes. Here's the app description:

The Active Time Battle system is back with the largest parties in FINAL FANTASY history!

FINAL FANTASY ALL THE BRAVEST is a touch-action RPG in which you continuously battle enemies to advance through the game’s many stages. Defeating foes earns you the experience points you need to level up, which in turns grants you character slots to add more and more members to your party.

Combat is based on the classic Active Time Battle (ATB) system of the FINAL FANTASY series. Every character possesses an ATB gauge that displays the time remaining until that character can execute an action. When the gauge is full, simply tap or drag your finger over the character to attack. Touch multiple characters in quick succession to experience exhilarating and fast-paced battle unlike anything you’ve ever played before!

Once every three hours, the Fever option will appear. Once activated, you will be able to attack without waiting for ATB gauges to refill as long as the chocobo-themed music is playing. Deal as much damage as you can before the battle fever ends!

■Characters, enemies, and music from throughout the FINAL FANTASY series!

Progress through the game to unlock over 20 different classic jobs, including warrior, monk, red mage, and more! Each job brings its own special abilities to the battleground, where you will encounter timeless FINAL FANTASY foes such as behemoths, bombs, and cactuars. At the end of each stage waits a harrowing encounter with a fiendish FINAL FANTASY boss!

The game’s musical library comes packed with over 30 songs from the series, the majority of which are themes from battle. The perfect soundtrack to listen to as your crush your enemies and see them driven before you!

■Track your collection of every character, enemy, and item with in-game catalogs!

The game’s three catalogs will keep a record of every character that joins your ranks, every enemy you encounter, and every item you obtain. Collect them all and open the catalogs to flip through the nostalgia whenever you like!

■Take part in leaderboards and social networking features!

Global leaderboards will rank players based on stats such as the amount of damage dealt in the course of a single Fever. You will also be able to track progress and other feats using the game’s achievement system. Social networking features allow you to post directly to Facebook and Twitter, and reward you for doing so by granting additional member slots. Post and tweet away to increase the size of your party for battle!

■Purchase premium characters and new game worlds!

The in-game shop offers access to 35 famous characters from a number of FINAL FANTASY titles. Each purchase ensures you will receive a new, random character. Which powerful favorites will you have join your party? You are also able to purchase additional game stages from FINAL FANTASY VII, X, and XIII. Board airships bound for new worlds where further adventures await!

Yay?

I have yet to run into a Uematsu composition I didn't like, but you guys are missing some good ones. Most people didn't like the game much, but the music from FF8 and FFIX have some great moments.

I'm in a nasty crunch at work, so today's playlist is running a lot of Black Mages - Vamo Alla Flamenco, Dancing Mad, The Decisive Battle, and just for a little over-the-top The Skies Above (and also because Mr Goo rocks).

Rather than me linking the three hours of music I have lined up, you can just go to Youtube and search for "Black Mages" and run through.

Farscry wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:
ccesarano wrote:

Looks like Clocky has something to be happy about. Pandora's Tower confirmed for Spring 2013.

YAY!

I has a happy!

Sweet!

They certainly made the ATB system sound complicated.

I'm making a scrunchy/confused/gassy face right now.

walterqchocobo wrote:

This version from the Distant Worlds concert series is pretty good:

Yes! I always found it really moving and I haven't even played that part of the game yet.

momgamer wrote:

I have yet to run into a Uematsu composition I didn't like, but you guys are missing some good ones. Most people didn't like the game much, but the music from FF8 and FFIX have some great moments.

My favorite FF soundtrack as a whole is the piano version of FFX. ITunes tells me my playcount is... obscene.

Also to caveat what I said about the FFXIII soundtrack - I'm excluding the soul crushing chocobo theme, ugh.

Combat is based on the classic Active Time Battle (ATB) system of the FINAL FANTASY series.
unlike anything you’ve ever played before

One of these quotes must be inaccurate. I can guess which one!

Not that I'm not considering playing this game.

Demyx wrote:

Not that I'm not considering playing this game.

Truth told, it does sound fun for a smaller downloadable game. If it were released for the 3DS eShop I'd probably snag it.

NormanTheIntern wrote:

Also to caveat what I said about the FFXIII soundtrack - I'm excluding the soul crushing chocobo theme, ugh.

When I heard the lyrics in the FFXIII chocobo theme, I died a little inside.

As near as I can tell from reading about it, you've got a huge cast of characters with individual ATB gauges. You tap them to make them attack when their gauge is full. I'm having a really hard time seeing how this results in more than idly tapping characters when their meter is full. Where's the depth or strategy?

Then again, I have the same problem with not seeing how normal Final Fantasy systems aren't just idly pressing X when the gauges are full, either, so maybe I don't understand.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

As near as I can tell from reading about it, you've got a huge cast of characters with individual ATB gauges. You tap them to make them attack when their gauge is full. I'm having a really hard time seeing how this results in more than idly tapping characters when their meter is full. Where's the depth or strategy?

Then again, I have the same problem with not seeing how normal Final Fantasy systems aren't just idly pressing X when the gauges are full, either, so maybe I don't understand.

If it's as well thought out as the FFX-2 or FFXII versions, there's a lot of choosing which action to take (because characters can do more than just blindly attack - buffs, debuffs, healing, stealing, etc), choosing targets, and maneuvering for advantage.

That whole thing reads like Charlie Browns teacher to me. I long ago gave up trying to translate marketing bafflegab into an assessment of how a game actually plays except in the broadest strokes.

Wait - you buy characters from the shop, but they give you a random one each time? And there are 35?

Square Enix mobile platform game confirmed

"Which powerful favorites will you have join your party?" NOT THE ONE YOU REALLY WANTED SORRY

NormanTheIntern wrote:

Wait - you buy characters from the shop, but they give you a random one each time? And there are 35?

Square Enix mobile platform game confirmed

It's like capsule toys in blind boxes. Actually I'm surprised that this is the first time I've seen that mechanic in a mobile game other than a cow-clicker.

That's rather hectic looking.

Oh look, an old skool sprite of Cloud.

NormanTheIntern wrote:
momgamer wrote:

I have yet to run into a Uematsu composition I didn't like, but you guys are missing some good ones. Most people didn't like the game much, but the music from FF8 and FFIX have some great moments.

My favorite FF soundtrack as a whole is the piano version of FFX. ITunes tells me my playcount is... obscene.

The FFX soundtrack was decent, but the piano collection for it is sublime. /thumbsup

Pandora's Tower is coming to the US. Does that mean we will get the three game slip case? Probably not.

ccesarano wrote:

[Launch Trailer]

That's rather hectic looking.

What heck was that?

I don't think this is the FF game I was looking for...

ccesarano wrote:

That's rather hectic looking.

Oh look, an old skool sprite of Cloud.

Wh....What the hell is going on?! ALL OF THE ATTACKS ALL OF THE TIME!

Yikes...I actually think I'm going to pass on that one.

Watching that trailer.... I felt like its what 12/21/12 should have looked like...

momgamer wrote:

If it's as well thought out as the FFX-2 or FFXII versions, there's a lot of choosing which action to take (because characters can do more than just blindly attack - buffs, debuffs, healing, stealing, etc), choosing targets, and maneuvering for advantage.

Watching the gameplay trailer, it looks like different units have different attacks and there may be advantages to attacking with them in a certain order. I noticed in a few of those clips that the player had available units they weren't attacking with.

It's an interesting idea, but the microtransaction stuff puts me off.

CptDomano wrote:

Wh....What the hell is going on?! ALL OF THE ATTACKS ALL OF THE TIME!

Yikes...I actually think I'm going to pass on that one.

Final Fantasy: ADD Edition

I really don't understand how you're supposed to play that, but I watched with the sound off. Maybe there's some helpful narration?

I don't think it's quite as hectic as it looks. It doesn't help that they decided to show three battles simultaneously side-by-side. I don't think the real game has that.