JRPG Catch-All

ClockworkHouse wrote:

I never cared for VI anyway.

*cough cough sputter choke gasp*

SixteenBlue wrote:

Should I know what Bravely Default is?

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy is a well-regarded 3DS RPG from Square that features a job system favorably compared to that of FFV. The wikipedia page should give you an idea. Clocky and I have been hoping for a localization announcement for a while, it came out there in October.

Blind_Evil wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

Should I know what Bravely Default is?

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy is a well-regarded 3DS RPG from Square that features a job system favorably compared to that of FFV. The wikipedia page should give you an idea. Clocky and I have been hoping for a localization announcement for a while, it came out there in October.

....and the proud winner of 2012's "Least Marketable Game Name in North America" award.

necroyeti wrote:

....and the proud winner of 2012's "Least Marketable Game Name in North America" award.

Well, I've been planning to buy it if and only if they keep that name. I've always wanted to bravely default, and being able to bravely default with a flying fairy by my side is an unexpected bonus.

Okay, maybe I'd also buy it if they don't keep the name and it's really good, but still.

On another JRPG note, I'm listening to FFXIII's soundtrack right now. Say what you will about the game, the soundtrack is so good.

Fire Emblem: Awakening will have Japanese and English audio tracks. This follows on the heels of Xenoblade Chronicles having the same. I hope Nintendo keeps this up with their voice-acted games.

Demyx wrote:

On another JRPG note, I'm listening to FFXIII's soundtrack right now. Say what you will about the game, the soundtrack is so good.

Did you read Minarchist's article? Yeah, it's great. I think I got stuck on Sazh's boss and haven't gone back to the game. I will eventually. I'm not a huge fan of those boss battles. I got my switching down really well to get the bonus full combat bars, but even that doesn't seem to be enough which is just straight up frustrating.

Also, right now, my TV has a big line through it, so I just get annoyed whenever I use it. This year has ended up being mostly PC stuff so far.

Blind_Evil wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

Should I know what Bravely Default is?

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy is a well-regarded 3DS RPG from Square that features a job system favorably compared to that of FFV. The wikipedia page should give you an idea. Clocky and I have been hoping for a localization announcement for a while, it came out there in October.

Bravely Default is part of my 3DS wishlist of localizations along with Rune Factory 4, Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Dragon Quest 7. Sadly, I've given up on Beyond the Labyrinth getting localized.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:
Demyx wrote:

On another JRPG note, I'm listening to FFXIII's soundtrack right now. Say what you will about the game, the soundtrack is so good.

Did you read Minarchist's article? Yeah, it's great. I think I got stuck on Sazh's boss and haven't gone back to the game. I will eventually. I'm not a huge fan of those boss battles. I got my switching down really well to get the bonus full combat bars, but even that doesn't seem to be enough which is just straight up frustrating.

Also, right now, my TV has a big line through it, so I just get annoyed whenever I use it. This year has ended up being mostly PC stuff so far.

Each of those "boss battles" for the Eidolons requires something more than raw firepower to win. They're each based on some specific tactic and they're all different. There's a hint as to what it might be for each on in the dialog leading up to the fight.

Spoiler:

If I remember correctly, that one required you helping your team mate enough times to get into Gesault mode with it. Oh, and get Haste if you can before this battle. It's great on general principles, but for this one it's crucial for you to be able to debuff Brunhylder while still buffing the physically-pansy Vanille fast enough to fill the meter.

I didn't like the Eidolon battles either. For a few of them, I couldn't figure out what to do in a couple tries and just looked up a strategy to follow.

Momgamer's advice to get Haste though is essential for everything. Everything! Unlike some RPGs, buffs and debuffs are powerful and game-changing in this one.

ClockworkHouse wrote:
Blind_Evil wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

Should I know what Bravely Default is?

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy is a well-regarded 3DS RPG from Square that features a job system favorably compared to that of FFV. The wikipedia page should give you an idea. Clocky and I have been hoping for a localization announcement for a while, it came out there in October.

Bravely Default is part of my 3DS wishlist of localizations along with Rune Factory 4, Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Dragon Quest 7. Sadly, I've given up on Beyond the Labyrinth getting localized.

SMT IV wasn't announced yet?

Demyx wrote:

I didn't like the Eidolon battles either. For a few of them, I couldn't figure out what to do in a couple tries and just looked up a strategy to follow.

Momgamer's advice to get Haste though is essential for everything. Everything! Unlike some RPGs, buffs and debuffs are powerful and game-changing in this one.

Oh yeah, I totally got the hints, and I was doing what they want with switching. It was just a no go after 3 tries, so I moved on. I'll just hit up a walkthrough for very exact instructions next time I get to it. I don't have time to waste on unsatisfying mechanics.

Edit: I'll try to remember about Haste. I'm not sure if I even used it before. Maybe that'll help.

SixteenBlue wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:
Blind_Evil wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

Should I know what Bravely Default is?

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy is a well-regarded 3DS RPG from Square that features a job system favorably compared to that of FFV. The wikipedia page should give you an idea. Clocky and I have been hoping for a localization announcement for a while, it came out there in October.

Bravely Default is part of my 3DS wishlist of localizations along with Rune Factory 4, Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Dragon Quest 7. Sadly, I've given up on Beyond the Labyrinth getting localized.

SMT IV wasn't announced yet?

It hasn't been formally announced for localization, but like Dragon Quest 7, it almost certainly will be. Atlus is localizing Soul Hackers, after all, and that's a lot less popular of a title than SMT IV.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Oh yeah, I totally got the hints, and I was doing what they want with switching. It was just a no go after 3 tries, so I moved on. I'll just hit up a walkthrough for very exact instructions next time I get to it. I don't have time to waste on unsatisfying mechanics.

Edit: I'll try to remember about Haste. I'm not sure if I even used it before. Maybe that'll help.

Well, the biggest problem in Eidolon battles is usually the time limit, so yeah, Haste

Also, I looked up Minarchist's article on FFXIII's soundtrack and it was very good. I would actually put this soundtrack up with my other personal favorites, even if the game itself didn't crack my top ten or twenty.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Bravely Default is part of my 3DS wishlist of localizations along with Rune Factory 4, Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Dragon Quest 7. Sadly, I've given up on Beyond the Labyrinth getting localized.

Despite your FFVI heresy, I must say that I entirely concur with this post.

Demyx wrote:

Also, I looked up Minarchist's article on FFXIII's soundtrack and it was very good. I would actually put this soundtrack up with my other personal favorites, even if the game itself didn't crack my top ten or twenty.

Well, being half right is better than not being right at all.

Minarchist wrote:
Demyx wrote:

Also, I looked up Minarchist's article on FFXIII's soundtrack and it was very good. I would actually put this soundtrack up with my other personal favorites, even if the game itself didn't crack my top ten or twenty.

Well, being half right is better than not being right at all. ;)

Even a broken Clock is right twice a day.

ClockworkHouse wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:
Blind_Evil wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

Should I know what Bravely Default is?

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy is a well-regarded 3DS RPG from Square that features a job system favorably compared to that of FFV. The wikipedia page should give you an idea. Clocky and I have been hoping for a localization announcement for a while, it came out there in October.

Bravely Default is part of my 3DS wishlist of localizations along with Rune Factory 4, Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Dragon Quest 7. Sadly, I've given up on Beyond the Labyrinth getting localized.

SMT IV wasn't announced yet?

It hasn't been formally announced for localization, but like Dragon Quest 7, it almost certainly will be. Atlus is localizing Soul Hackers, after all, and that's a lot less popular of a title than SMT IV.

Localization announcements usually happen after Japanese release. It's still to early for SMT IV NA release news. But it's probably likely, barring anything like zombie Hitler.

shoptroll wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:
Blind_Evil wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

Should I know what Bravely Default is?

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy is a well-regarded 3DS RPG from Square that features a job system favorably compared to that of FFV. The wikipedia page should give you an idea. Clocky and I have been hoping for a localization announcement for a while, it came out there in October.

Bravely Default is part of my 3DS wishlist of localizations along with Rune Factory 4, Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Dragon Quest 7. Sadly, I've given up on Beyond the Labyrinth getting localized.

SMT IV wasn't announced yet?

It hasn't been formally announced for localization, but like Dragon Quest 7, it almost certainly will be. Atlus is localizing Soul Hackers, after all, and that's a lot less popular of a title than SMT IV.

Localization announcements usually happen after Japanese release. It's still to early for SMT IV NA release news. But it's probably likely, barring anything like zombie Hitler.

But what if we gave him cool shades?

Clockworkhouse, XSEED's twitter posted a picture of what looked like a parapet viewed through a wet window. Kat Bailey just responded saying, "Looks like Pandora's Tower is on the way. Nice."

Just thought you'd like to know ^_^ even if you do hate FF6 like some sort of monster.

WOW. I need to hurry up and play The Last Story then.

Demyx wrote:

On another JRPG note, I'm listening to FFXIII's soundtrack right now. Say what you will about the game, the soundtrack is so good.

Totally agreed, I finished the game about six months ago but still listen to the soundtrack almost daily. I don't get the same level of "song to story element/character" connection that the VII-IX soundtracks evoke, but the songs are good enough to be interesting on their own.

Also I'm now addressing a shameful lack of FFVI in my history by playing it on the vita.

SixteenBlue wrote:

WOW. I need to hurry up and play The Last Story then.

I mean, maybe she's wrong. But it was a bold enough proclamation to make her sound sure about it, and she was totally right about the Pokemon X/Y announcement a couple weeks before it was made.

NormanTheIntern wrote:

Also I'm now addressing a shameful lack of FFVI in my history by playing it on the vita.

Speaking of Nobuo Uematsu's greatest work...

Blind_Evil wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

WOW. I need to hurry up and play The Last Story then.

I mean, maybe she's wrong. But it was a bold enough proclamation to make her sound sure about it, and she was totally right about the Pokemon X/Y announcement a couple weeks before it was made.

She's a pretty reliable source, in general.

I would definitely put FFIV and VI at the top of Uematsu's tracks in my order of preference. However, I rather think his score for Lost Odyssey was underrated. I don't remember much at this point beyond finding myself often stopping and just listening to the music selections instead of playing the game, which I don't often do with games anymore the way I did during the 16- and 32-bit generations.

Blind_Evil wrote:

Clockworkhouse, XSEED's twitter posted a picture of what looked like a parapet viewed through a wet window. Kat Bailey just responded saying, "Looks like Pandora's Tower is on the way. Nice."

Just thought you'd like to know ^_^ even if you do hate FF6 like some sort of monster.

Yes!

Pandora's Tower was definitely the most interesting looking of the Operation Rainfall games, and I would be thrilled for XSEED to localize it. It also means that I'd get to play at least one new release on the Wii this year.

ccesarano wrote:
NormanTheIntern wrote:

Also I'm now addressing a shameful lack of FFVI in my history by playing it on the vita.

Speaking of Nobuo Uematsu's greatest work...

For me, the soundtrack for Final Fantasy VI is okay, but its most famous piece (the opera) is unfortunately and hilariously undone by the decision to present it with a really bad MIDI voice synthesizer. What's supposed to be a stirring, beautiful moment becomes laughably bad the moment that music kicks in.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

For me, the soundtrack for Final Fantasy VI is okay, but its most famous piece (the opera) is unfortunately and hilariously undone by the decision to present it with a really bad MIDI voice synthesizer. What's supposed to be a stirring, beautiful moment becomes laughably bad the moment that music kicks in.

I.e. you've been ruined by the progress of technology.

ClockworkHouse wrote:
ccesarano wrote:
NormanTheIntern wrote:

Also I'm now addressing a shameful lack of FFVI in my history by playing it on the vita.

Speaking of Nobuo Uematsu's greatest work...

For me, the soundtrack for Final Fantasy VI is okay, but its most famous piece (the opera) is unfortunately and hilariously undone by the decision to present it with a really bad MIDI voice synthesizer. What's supposed to be a stirring, beautiful moment becomes laughably bad the moment that music kicks in.

Actually, while that is one of the most powerful memories for me as a young'n, Dancing Mad is one of the pieces that makes me raise it up high. But truth told, it's the soundtrack as a whole that gets my love.

Out of curiosity, at what point did you first play Final Fantasy 6? I acknowledge that, at this point, without my nostalgia, that Opera scene wouldn't have been nearly so moving as it was when I was...10 years old?

grobstein wrote:

I.e. you've been ruined by the progress of technology.

No. I have no problem with 16-bit soundtracks, and the limitations that accompany them, in general. Using that voice was a mistake at the time and in the context of its time.

ccesarano wrote:

Out of curiosity, at what point did you first play Final Fantasy 6? I acknowledge that, at this point, without my nostalgia, that Opera scene wouldn't have been nearly so moving as it was when I was...10 years old?

I first played it as a teen. I've revisited it every few years since then (because it's so beloved).

Yeah, that was terrible. I played it around the same time as I played Gabriel Knight 2, which had an actual Opera in it, with real instruments and singing. There is no comparison. You are all just blinded by nostalgia and the fact that you were silly impressionable kids when you played it.