JRPG Catch-All

It is hard for me to hold on from buying a Wii to play the Last Story and Xenosaga. The WiiU will be out soon, I hope.

Ulairi wrote:

It is hard for me to hold on from buying a Wii to play the Last Story and Xenosaga. The WiiU will be out soon, I hope.

Thanksgiving.

shoptroll wrote:
Dyni wrote:

I am a bit confused about what to do with the top screen combat atm.

Or just spaz on the d-pad.

Ok, but why does it look like I should be playing DDR up there? Is there a proper technique one is supposed to use?

beeporama wrote:

Yes. Minor spoiler: you end up playing the game for three "weeks" in-game, and the first week is all about the main character's transformation as a person.

After finishing the game, you open up a "parody" chapter of sorts as an epilogue, and much fun is made of his initial personality. "Must... resist... emo... urges..."

Ok, thanks everyone for the feedback on this. It's just what I needed to hear. That they're conscious of how bad he was and make a real effort to make him and the other characters evolve is exactly what I'd like to see in an RPG. I'll be traveling soon and I'll charge up my DS and make TWEWY the priority gaming time during the trip.

Dyni wrote:
shoptroll wrote:
Dyni wrote:

I am a bit confused about what to do with the top screen combat atm.

Or just spaz on the d-pad.

Ok, but why does it look like I should be playing DDR up there? Is there a proper technique one is supposed to use?

So that's Shiki. Basically if you follow one of the sequences of arrows you get a card. I think (it's been a few years since I played this) once you get a couple of cards that make a sequence you can use a special attack (basically a summon). You're not penalized if you don't complete a sequence which is why it's suggested you just button mash for now while you focus on Neku.

This is basically how all three companions work with each having their own variation. Joshua is about comparing numbers, and Beat is about making Poker hands. It's completely optional and at the lower difficulties random mashing works just as well as focusing on the top character

TWEWY has a thread ya know.

Stele wrote:

TWEWY has a thread ya know. ;)

FTFY.

Rgr, thanks shoptroll.

Stele wrote:

TWEWY has a thread ya know. ;)

So it does. Good to know.

Yeah, get outta here til you graduate to grown up games like The Last Story

Speaking of The Last Story, there's an edition of the always-interesting "Iwata Asks" interview series with genre legend Hironobu Sakaguchi focused on the game. Recommended reading if you're...well, if you're in this thread.

Also, here's a quote I pulled from this Kat Bailey article advising designers to embrace the new ideas presented by the game:

The nice thing about Last Story is that it fills so many niches; it has both action elements and tactical elements, and it demonstrates a deft touch in maximizing both without allowing one to overwhelm the other. It doesn't quite feel like an MMO, and it definitely isn't an action game like Kingdom Hearts. It is, as Sakaguchi said, something new.

Bolded that last sentence for emphasis. It's a remarkably hard game to pin down using established conventions. It has some of the interesting character work from Final Fantasy, but with a more intimate scope that I've seen in games like Resonance of Fate or Dragon Age 2. People have compared it to Mass Effect, but the truth is there is a lot more complexity and strategy required in the minute-to-minute gameplay. You can't brute force your way through TLS. You have to embrace its systems, and when they're all working together fluidly in your mind it's a refreshing sensation. I'm gushing a bit, but I value experimentation and new experiences over anything else. I can't get enough.

Ed. - Sorry if this is too rambly.

For whatever reason, the game brings to mind Gears of War 3, for me. I really enjoyed both prior Gears games, but after the third, I am taking a wait and see on the entire franchise. Cliff Bleszinski is fond of saying that successful shooter design is thirty seconds of fun, repeated (I'm paraphrasing). He may be right, but what the Last Story does is take that idea further.

In Gears, the gameplay formula to me looks like this: you take the environment, put any variety of enemies in it, place the player in it, and give them the tools to deal with the enemy. That worked for me for two games. At some point though, there was a disconnect, and I wasn't quite able to pin it down until playing TLS. The disconnect lies in the tools. You have a decently sizable toolbox in Gears, but you can apply the hammer to every situation, or the wrench, or the screwdriver. It doesn't matter. In TLS, the tool required for many fights is very specific, and that challenge of figuring it out in time is what makes it a more engaging experience. The environments are more varied too, but that's of lesser import.

Alright, I'll stop drooling now and get back to playing.

Edit:

Wanted to post a really good snippet from that Iwata/Gooch interview:

Iwata: How would you describe the game system you finally settled on for The Last Story?

Sakaguchi: This may be a rather highfalutin way of putting it, but I would say it’s all about ‘order’ and ‘chaos’. In battle, the side that manages to impose ‘order’ on the battlefield will secure victory. Or to put it the other way round, disrupting the ‘order’ of your enemy so it degenerates into ‘chaos’ is the key to victory. That’s something I wanted to express in the battle scenes in the game. But I didn’t want this to be achieved in a logical, methodical manner like Japanese chess. I was looking for a more intuitive battle system in which you can feel the flow of time.

Didn't realize there are two more interviews, with Uematsu and Matsumoto. Lots to read -_-

D'oh.

Sinan Kubba, Joystiq wrote:

The countdown linked to The World Ends with You is for an iOS port of the DS game, a leak on the Square Enix's Japanese eShop has appeared to reveal.

So while that TWEWY countdown doesn't end until this weekend, there was an accidental leak on the listing of a new TWEWY OST concerning an iOS version of the game. The reference has since been removed. Let's all cross our fingers and hope that's not the only thing they were counting down for.

Also, August 31st is when Final Fantasy Dimensions is hitting the App Store (and Android too). Looks like an episodic original FF game in the style of FFV. First chapter is free so I think I'll be grabbing that to see how well it plays.

EDIT: Semi-tannhauser'd!

shoptroll wrote:

Also, August 31st is when Final Fantasy Dimensions is hitting the App Store (and Android too). Looks like an episodic original FF game in the style of FFV. First chapter is free so I think I'll be grabbing that to see how well it plays.

Definitely doing the same on my Android, but my phone's a somewhat underpowered model as far as I can tell, so I'm worried it won't handle the game. I'll find out next week I guess. Anything with the FFV-style job system is of interest to me by default.

I guess we were off about TWEWY not working on a non-DS system. Despite it not being my thing, I'm interested to see how well it works, though. I'm sure someone here'll double dip and let us know.

Blind_Evil wrote:

D'oh.

Sinan Kubba, Joystiq wrote:

The countdown linked to The World Ends with You is for an iOS port of the DS game, a leak on the Square Enix's Japanese eShop has appeared to reveal.

Crushing disappointment...

Will probably buy anyway.

My tablet my be able to handle the game, but I've got enough to play as it is. I'll wait and see.

I can't even fathom playing this on a phone. How do you do the dual screen controls?

SixteenBlue wrote:

I can't even fathom playing this on a phone. How do you do the dual screen controls?

I think the screen is too small on a phone. Tablet seems more plausible.

shoptroll wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

I can't even fathom playing this on a phone. How do you do the dual screen controls?

I think the screen is too small on a phone. Tablet seems more plausible.

Still, the DS managed the dual screen controls by using a stylus plus the d-pad buttons. How would that work on a tablet? Sounds awful.

SixteenBlue wrote:
shoptroll wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

I can't even fathom playing this on a phone. How do you do the dual screen controls?

I think the screen is too small on a phone. Tablet seems more plausible.

Still, the DS managed the dual screen controls by using a stylus plus the d-pad buttons. How would that work on a tablet? Sounds awful.

The only way I can imagine is holding the screen vertical with the d-pad in the lower left (so you can use your right hand for the touch controls).

That does seem less than practical though.

Demyx wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:
shoptroll wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

I can't even fathom playing this on a phone. How do you do the dual screen controls?

I think the screen is too small on a phone. Tablet seems more plausible.

Still, the DS managed the dual screen controls by using a stylus plus the d-pad buttons. How would that work on a tablet? Sounds awful.

The only way I can imagine is holding the screen vertical with the d-pad in the lower left (so you can use your right hand for the touch controls).

That does seem less than practical though.

Yeah, TWEWY was one game I had a hard time envisioning being ported to any other system. Should have known if they smelled money, SquareEnix would find a way. :p

Demyx wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:
shoptroll wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

I can't even fathom playing this on a phone. How do you do the dual screen controls?

I think the screen is too small on a phone. Tablet seems more plausible.

Still, the DS managed the dual screen controls by using a stylus plus the d-pad buttons. How would that work on a tablet? Sounds awful.

The only way I can imagine is holding the screen vertical with the d-pad in the lower left (so you can use your right hand for the touch controls).

That does seem less than practical though.

Here's what I'm thinking. Your finger on the bottom screen is the stylus. That seems easy enough. On the top screen you use your other hand in some way to do the rather limited moves. I mean, we're talking up, down, left and right, so perhaps they put the d-pad up there or find some other way, like swipe gestures.

garion333 wrote:

Here's what I'm thinking. Your finger on the bottom screen is the stylus. That seems easy enough. On the top screen you use your other hand in some way to do the rather limited moves. I mean, we're talking up, down, left and right, so perhaps they put the d-pad up there or find some other way, like swipe gestures.

I would sure hope they'd put the d-pad on the bottom even if it controls the top screen. A d-pad at the top of the tablet would be incredibly awkward.

Any form of touch d-pad is awful.

Dang, I've been playing TWEWY on and off for the past week and really enjoying it. iOS port only would be most disappointing.

That FF Dimensions game? 30 bucks, according to Kotaku and half the other sites on my gaming RSS.

spider_j wrote:

That FF Dimensions game? 30 bucks, according to Kotaku and half the other sites on my gaming RSS.

At least you don't have to put all that money up-front....

Also, cry my a river Schreier. Just because a game is priced outside of the $0-0.99 isn't highway robbery. Especially when you consider no one bats an eye at dropping $30 whenever S-E remakes one of the SNES era games for a cartridge based portable.

If S-E didn't make money on these titles they would charge less for them, right?

If it were on 3DS or Vita, it'd be a bargain at $30, so if it's that size of game, why not charge $30 for it on iOS except that games aren't "supposed" to be that expensive on that platform?

ClockworkHouse wrote:

If it were on 3DS or Vita, it'd be a bargain at $30, so if it's that size of game, why not charge $30 for it on iOS except that games aren't "supposed" to be that expensive on that platform?

Oh good, I wasn't the only one thinking this. From the article:

But this is Square Enix, a company whose pricing decisions never fail to baffle us. $16 for Chaos Rings. $18 for the iPad version of Final Fantasy Tactics. $17 for Final Fantasy III.

Why, exactly, is $18 dollars not a fair price for Final Fantasy Tactics, an incredibly rich game that I've sunk easily 200 hours into? I paid $12 for Chaos Rings and don't regret it, it's a full-featured RPG of a decent length. And I bought FFIII for more than $17 when it was a DS release and didn't regret that either.

Demyx wrote:

Why, exactly, is $18 dollars not a fair price for Final Fantasy Tactics, an incredibly rich game that I've sunk easily 200 hours into? I paid $12 for Chaos Rings and don't regret it, it's a full-featured RPG of a decent length. And I bought FFIII for more than $17 when it was a DS release and didn't regret that either.

In the case of FFT, I think the issue is that it's $18 on iOS while it's $10 on PSN.

I agree on the whole, though. These games are generally worth what they charge.

This might give hope to you TWEWY fans. Last night, the game's lead translator, Brian Grey, tweeted:

Before everyone decides the #twewy countdown is over, they might want to wait for the countdown to be over. #moredripthanleak

So it's entirely possible that the announcement isn't just for an iOS port.