LEGO Nostalgia

Yeah, the WH works out to 12"x8"x6", and takes a few hours. There are certainly tons of tiny pieces, reminds me of building up the dome to R2-D2.

AnimeJ wrote:
billybob476 wrote:

About how big and complex are these? Some of them look pretty small on lego.com

I don't know that any of the architecture sets are more than 500 or so pieces.

I built the Imperial Hotel last year and it is over 1000 pieces. 1000 tiny pieces. Personally, I enjoy the tiny pieces - it allows for a lot of detail in a small amount of space.

wanderingtaoist wrote:

My wife is an architecture (and LEGO!) buff, so she will be getting this for her upcoming birthday:

IMAGE(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zqFoq3qej2c/ShRczttWEyI/AAAAAAAAsb8/pgVcWIn-mRw/s1600/LEGO_Architecture_FW_1b-800x600.jpg)

I hope she will be needing a helping hand :)

Bought this for Mr. Tomaytohead about 3 Christmases ago (BC--before children). It's still in it's box. I'm wondering if he's waiting for Punky and Peanut to be of age where they can help him.....you know, kinda of Father & Sons bonding project.

io9 has an amusing listicle, "the 16 most awful lego sets"

IMAGE(http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19eo12xhfticfjpg/ku-xlarge.jpg)

Galidor? WTF?

I had that ugly, ugly rabbit. I think it was supposed to be an Easter bunny and it came in a bag instead of a proper box.

Author should check out this page:
http://www.firefighter-emt.com/archi...

Why don't we get bitching fire trucks like the Euros have?!?!

Seriously, those are the fire trucks of tomorrow...TODAY!

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Author should check out this page:
http://www.firefighter-emt.com/archi...

Why don't we get bitching fire trucks like the Euros have?!?!

LEGO has one of those.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

Author should check out this page:
http://www.firefighter-emt.com/archi...

Why don't we get bitching fire trucks like the Euros have?!?!

LEGO has one of those.

I was just about to post that. My son has a picture of that hanging on my refrigerator so I know which one to buy him!

Errr, I wasn't saying we don't have Lego versions, just that our real fire trucks are so mundane. I did some searches on American airport fire trucks and they're all so... yellow.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Errr, I wasn't saying we don't have Lego versions, just that our real fire trucks are so mundane. I did some searches on American airport fire trucks and they're all so... yellow.

Really?
IMAGE(http://www.emergencyrigs.net/users%5C14%5C1280_0004554.jpg)

You hush!

I think that was the only red one I could find.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Errr, I wasn't saying we don't have Lego versions, just that our real fire trucks are so mundane. I did some searches on American airport fire trucks and they're all so... yellow.

The equipment at the local airport is all red.
IMAGE(http://iaff1636.com/apparatus/R4.jpg)

But there is a lot of bright yellow / lime green out there, though it appears you can get just about any color you want.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Errr, I wasn't saying we don't have Lego versions, just that our real fire trucks are so mundane. I did some searches on American airport fire trucks and they're all so... yellow.

Eh, Airport trucks are airport trucks. They're all pretty cool looking. It's the municipality FDs that have the boring trucks.

Very true. I say all fire trucks should look like lunar rovers.

Lego fire trucks are just for harvesting wheels anyway.

The M-tron Mega Core Magnetizer (6989), which I still have, had wheels that were mounted on spring shocks so they moved up and down:
IMAGE(http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/large/6989-1.jpg)

I also had that set and you are correct, those were amazing wheels. M-Tron was my favorite space theme growing up, because the red and black color scheme with the neon green clear pieces was too cool, and the sets had lots of clever compartments, and oh yeah the MAGNETS.

IMAGE(http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/squigherder/4BE574C2-C314-4FA6-9A5F-A4081041AF1C_zpstdc3rt9a.jpg)

Finished my X-Wing. I really like these detailed models with the display information. Kinda bummed that the B-Wing is out of print. I'm sure I could find it on eBay but I'm not sure I want to go that route.

And thanks to the magic of technic, the wings open for the attack formation.

IMAGE(http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/squigherder/72CDA1FF-8E60-4B9E-9508-69C92414464E_zpsliagd3cl.jpg)

That's really nice!

I love it with the wings extended.

Demyx wrote:

I had that ugly, ugly rabbit. I think it was supposed to be an Easter bunny and it came in a bag instead of a proper box.

Yeah, I got that for Easter once as a kid. I'm pretty sure my Mom got it for free from somewhere and just threw it in the basket because I liked Legos. And, it definitely came in a bag.

Katy wrote:

io9 has an amusing listicle, "the 16 most awful lego sets"

IMAGE(http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19eo12xhfticfjpg/ku-xlarge.jpg)

I had that set: http://brickset.com/sets/1677-1

Strewth wrote:

IMAGE(http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/squigherder/4BE574C2-C314-4FA6-9A5F-A4081041AF1C_zpstdc3rt9a.jpg)

Finished my X-Wing. I really like these detailed models with the display information. Kinda bummed that the B-Wing is out of print. I'm sure I could find it on eBay but I'm not sure I want to go that route.

And thanks to the magic of technic, the wings open for the attack formation.

IMAGE(http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/squigherder/72CDA1FF-8E60-4B9E-9508-69C92414464E_zpsliagd3cl.jpg)

Are these special or just the off the shelf star wars ones?

I've only seen them in the actual Lego store. There is an X-Wing set with minifigures but this one is a slightly larger scale, 1500 pieces to the other one which I think has around 7-800.

For curiosity looked up the B-wing on Ebay. You're looking at $200 smackers! :0

Strewth wrote:

I've only seen them in the actual Lego store. There is an X-Wing set with minifigures but this one is a slightly larger scale, 1500 pieces to the other one which I think has around 7-800.

Ah, yeah i see the difference. $200 vice $60 for the normal. Man crazy expensive. There is a reason i never got into the Hot Toys stuff and Lego is the same way!!

karmajay wrote:

For curiosity looked up the B-wing on Ebay. You're looking at $200 smackers! :0

That's pretty close to the original price I think.