Civilization V Catch-All

Are you ready for Civ 5 to come to the tablet?

“- Microsoft keeps talking about all the great touch-friendly apps that are coming along with Windows 8, but so far, all the touch games we’ve seen are lightweight titles like Cut the Rope and Solitaire. Fortunately, that’s about to change as game developer Firaxis showed off an upcoming touch-friendly version of Civilization V here at IDF 2012. Amazingly, the touch-friendly version of the game has also been specially optimized for Ultrabooks with Intel integrated graphics so you’ll be able to play this rather intense game on a light notebook with modest specs.” - Laptopmag

Yes, yes I am!!!!

Ariskany Evan wrote:

That's definitely going to be the key to longevity for me: if I can find the right difficulty level where it's not utterly impossible and way too strategic, but not so dumb that I'm blindly clicking next turn to hurry up my science victory. Maybe this was also because of the lower difficulty, but my brain feels like mush after an hour-long session with this game. It feels stimulated in all the wrong ways, but I'm guessing that's that addiction feeling?

King difficulty hit that balance for me. Prince feels too easy depending on which victory condition I'm pursuing. King feels a little too tough depending on the difficulty and map type, but it's just far enough on the tough side of challenging that it keeps the game compelling.

Tkyl wrote:

Are you ready for Civ 5 to come to the tablet?

“- Microsoft keeps talking about all the great touch-friendly apps that are coming along with Windows 8, but so far, all the touch games we’ve seen are lightweight titles like Cut the Rope and Solitaire. Fortunately, that’s about to change as game developer Firaxis showed off an upcoming touch-friendly version of Civilization V here at IDF 2012. Amazingly, the touch-friendly version of the game has also been specially optimized for Ultrabooks with Intel integrated graphics so you’ll be able to play this rather intense game on a light notebook with modest specs.” - Laptopmag

I am ready for this thing, very much, but... you need a Windows tablet?

I'd kill for an Android version of Civ, or even Civ Rev.

Tkyl wrote:

Are you ready for Civ 5 to come to the tablet?

Damn it, Tkyl! I'm just going to have some of my paycheck direct deposited into your account from now on. You guys are killing me. [size=4]Keep it up![/size]

BadKen wrote:

I'd kill for an Android version of Civ, or even Civ Rev.

I'm in favor of this sentiment, though perhaps not homicidally so.

FreeCiv is already availlable on Android, but it's horrible.

Tablet Civ? Oh Yes!

Thanks for the gift, Malor! I look forward to finally giving this a run.

I just won a cultural victory on Emperor as Gandhi. Normally I would be happy but during the whole game I didn't get attacked once. Even when five of the nine other civs (and their allied city-states) declared war on me when I was two policies away from the Utopia project none actually sent any units against me. Has anyone else seen this behavior in the expansion? Do I have to turn something on or off in the advanced setup?

padriec wrote:

I just won a cultural victory on Emperor as Gandhi. Normally I would be happy but during the whole game I didn't get attacked once. Even when five of the nine other civs (and their allied city-states) declared war on me when I was two policies away from the Utopia project none actually sent any units against me. Has anyone else seen this behavior in the expansion? Do I have to turn something on or off in the advanced setup?

There are so many factors that determine whether/when you'll actually get attacked, and in a lot of cases it comes right down to luck.

In my most successful cultural victory, I was attacked early by a neighbor, but he was soon diverted by another war-like civ on the opposite side of his empire, who distracted him for nearly the entire game. At various times I would be denounced by / at war with civs on the other side of the ocean (either due to my alliance with somebody they hated, or due to my prophets pushing my religion) who were never in a situation to actually harm me.

I don't think I've ever played an entire game on the standard map in G&K without being attacked at all, but I've come pretty close to it, and it's easy to imagine that things could have gone that way with a slightly different map.

This is probably the most frustrating thing to me about playing for cultural wins: you really need to plan for it relatively early to get the right policies and keep your empire tall, but once you commit, a lot of how successful you are depends on how the neighboring civs behave. It's entirely possible to build up a reasonable defense force and hold off one middling AI well enough, but if you encounter a juggernaut who is eating the world, you're going to be screwed. And on the other end, you may have peaceful neighbors (or war-like civs with higher priority targets) which can make the whole exercise a snooze-fest as you just cruise to victory uncontested.

That's only if you gun for cultural at the outset and don't have good intelligence on the world stage situation.

You DON'T need to plan for cultural early in order to actually win a cultural vic. You just need to plan early if you want to win the fastest. It is entirely plausible (some even say it's faster) to win cultural while waging war intermittently to keep other Civs in check.

Or you play for money and enough science to get to Globalization, doing whatever warmongering you want. Put your spies out there doctoring elections early so they get in with key cities and keep them, because, hey, those are low hanging fruit. Then buy the rest of them the turn before you finish the UN. I've done that before and it works like a charm.

padreic, I have had games where no Civs have attacked me, but I yet to have a game with no barbarians. How did you manage that!?

The new expansion, Gods and Kings, adds wrinkles to the diplomacy plan. Austria can up and marry all the City States up, reducing the UN vote into a matter between Civs - problematic since each Civ typically votes for themselves. Religious Civ can use religion and belief bonuses + Patronage to start at a resting state somewhere close to allied. Such Civs need only paltry sums to increase and maintain very strong allied status with multiple City States sharing the same religion, if at all. I've played a Celtic game where I maintained a stranglehold influence on nearly all the City States (with all the attendant benefits) just by completing their quests and keeping them Christian.

The Mercantile ones are particularly killer, since you get massive happiness bonus from the ally status, the luxuries they have, and the specialty luxury they provide.

momgamer wrote:

Or you play for money and enough science to get to Globalization, doing whatever warmongering you want. Put your spies out there doctoring elections early so they get in with key cities and keep them, because, hey, those are low hanging fruit. Then buy the rest of them the turn before you finish the UN. I've done that before and it works like a charm.

padreic, I have had games where no Civs have attacked me, but I yet to have a game with no barbarians. How did you manage that!?

I'm sorry, I did have barbs attack me a good amount in the beginning. I started out on a fair sized island by myself so as soon as I explored and stationed a few units to keep the fog of war at bay the barbs ceased to be a threat.

LarryC wrote:

The new expansion, Gods and Kings, adds wrinkles to the diplomacy plan. Austria can up and marry all the City States up, reducing the UN vote into a matter between Civs - problematic since each Civ typically votes for themselves.

I dont think you can vote for yourself in the un victory in g&k

jbavon:

Quite right! I don't know what I was thinking.

Mega patch came out today, I'm not going to post all the details here (see notes) but apparently this was the patch with "performance optimizations specifically targeted to Ultrabooks with Intel Core processors with HD Graphics"/Windows 8/touch support patch.

I have yet to fire it up, but I'm curious what this will do for late game play on my laptop, maybe some larger maps.

Is the button hidden somewhere to build the spaceship for the science victory? I have 3 boosters, a cockpit, a stasis chamber, and an engine all around my capital. When i put a piece in the capital i can't find where it asks if you want to build a ship. I'm afraid the swedes are gonna snatch a cultural victory, a lil help.

Markly wrote:

Is the button hidden somewhere to build the spaceship for the science victory? I have 3 boosters, a cockpit, a stasis chamber, and an engine all around my capital. When i put a piece in the capital i can't find where it asks if you want to build a ship. I'm afraid the swedes are gonna snatch a cultural victory, a lil help.

When you have a spaceship piece, and it is at the capital, then it should have a button on its action menu to install it. Unfortunately there was a bug when the came came out where that button would frequently not be there. So (what feels like) most of the time the science victory is impossible, and you don't know that until you build the first piece. I had assumed that bug was fixed, it's pretty unforgivable if it hasn't been yet.

It's been a while, because I've been playing multiplayer, but did you try putting one piece in the capital, then bringing another one into the capital? Then you should get an option to "add" the second to the first. Then you just keep adding the other pieces to it.

Yonder wrote:
Markly wrote:

Is the button hidden somewhere to build the spaceship for the science victory? I have 3 boosters, a cockpit, a stasis chamber, and an engine all around my capital. When i put a piece in the capital i can't find where it asks if you want to build a ship. I'm afraid the swedes are gonna snatch a cultural victory, a lil help.

When you have a spaceship piece, and it is at the capital, then it should have a button on its action menu to install it. Unfortunately there was a bug when the came came out where that button would frequently not be there. So (what feels like) most of the time the science victory is impossible, and you don't know that until you build the first piece. I had assumed that bug was fixed, it's pretty unforgivable if it hasn't been yet.

Definitely been fixed, I won a spaceship victory in my last game.

How is the Civ V multiplayer experience these days? I tried it pretty early on and it was pretty rotten. The lack of unit animations made it nigh on impossible to track unit movements as they got more plentiful. My buddy and I suffered through several frustrating turns with our effort culminating in a crash. We've not tried again since.

Any better now?

davet010 wrote:
Yonder wrote:
Markly wrote:

Is the button hidden somewhere to build the spaceship for the science victory? I have 3 boosters, a cockpit, a stasis chamber, and an engine all around my capital. When i put a piece in the capital i can't find where it asks if you want to build a ship. I'm afraid the swedes are gonna snatch a cultural victory, a lil help.

When you have a spaceship piece, and it is at the capital, then it should have a button on its action menu to install it. Unfortunately there was a bug when the came came out where that button would frequently not be there. So (what feels like) most of the time the science victory is impossible, and you don't know that until you build the first piece. I had assumed that bug was fixed, it's pretty unforgivable if it hasn't been yet.

Definitely been fixed, I won a spaceship victory in my last game.

It wasn't consistent, even at release some people could build spaceships.

Yonder wrote:
davet010 wrote:
Yonder wrote:
Markly wrote:

Is the button hidden somewhere to build the spaceship for the science victory? I have 3 boosters, a cockpit, a stasis chamber, and an engine all around my capital. When i put a piece in the capital i can't find where it asks if you want to build a ship. I'm afraid the swedes are gonna snatch a cultural victory, a lil help.

When you have a spaceship piece, and it is at the capital, then it should have a button on its action menu to install it. Unfortunately there was a bug when the came came out where that button would frequently not be there. So (what feels like) most of the time the science victory is impossible, and you don't know that until you build the first piece. I had assumed that bug was fixed, it's pretty unforgivable if it hasn't been yet.

Definitely been fixed, I won a spaceship victory in my last game.

It wasn't consistent, even at release some people could build spaceships.

it won't let me put another piece in the capital if one piece is already there. looks like i'll have to try the un victory, my score is going to tank because i could have already won several turns ago.

Hi. I'm looking to get some sweet Civ 5 action. I have sexy girls and boys - whatever it is you are into.

Also, this is not spam.

So, I've played HOI3, EU3 and a couple other big-time grand stratz. What difficulty should I be playing on in Civ. 5?

Oh, is there a good post-apocalyptic mod?

Strangeblades wrote:

Hi. I'm looking to get some sweet Civ 5 action. I have sexy girls and boys - whatever it is you are into.

Also, this is not spam.

So, I've played HOI3, EU3 and a couple other big-time grand stratz. What difficulty should I be playing on in Civ. 5?

Oh, is there a good post-apocalyptic mod?

If I recall correctly, playing right up to normal difficulty, called Prince, is nearly a cakewalk for an experienced player. I know I could win games pretty consistently without any real micro-management, but if I bumped it any higher I would get my ass handed to me.

Prince is the highest difficulty level where the AI doesn't cheat. It's not hard for experienced Civ players but if you're just starting out then it's good if you're an experienced strategy gamer.

I am in for an online game....

Prince should do you right. I'm not aware of a post-apocalyptic mod, but there is a steampunk scenario in Gods and Kings.