Civilization V Catch-All

wordsmythe wrote:

Enchantment?

Enchantment!

syndicatedragon wrote:

I guess if they use the same mechanic, it would just be a simple radius of two hexes.

Progression in Civ4 goes in 3 stages, from 3x3 no corners (small cross), to 3x3 with corners (square), to 5x5 no corners (fat cross). So I'm wondering if they'll keep the 3 stage count (and how they'd do it) or if they go to 2 stages.

Eh, I'm full of sh*t. Cities in Civ4 don't start at small cross, they start at a 3x3 square.

So... what's this I hear about hexes now?

I hope they redo the multiplayer engine that was in CIV IV. It worked great for the vanilla game, but mods that altered the .dll file would often go OOS (out of sync) between each player. I think they should go to a server/client negotiation model where the host is the server who runs the game, each player is a client that can only interact with the host's game. This may be exploitable by mischievous players, but I say let the community handle that.

Why are hexes so great, anyways?

That's an easy question. They have more sides. More sides = better.

but it also limits unit movement to six directions instead of eight.

IMAGE(http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2329/oots0175.gif)

Yoyoson wrote:

Why are hexes so great, anyways?

With a hex map all six of the tiles adjacent to you are the same distance away. With squares half of the "adjacent" tiles are 1.44 units away instead. This can be sort of awkward when you are trying to represent ranges (giving you the "fat cross" city effect) if they are making units that can bombard from multiple tiles that could have been awkward as well.

Most people have only played with squares, so they are used to the idea of getting free movement when you move northeast as opposed to North, but it bugs a lot of people.

I'm hoping they go with heptagons. If anyone can do the geometrically impossible, its Sid Meiers.

Hold on, is Sid still working on Civ? or has he gone to Facebook Civ?

Are those archers shooting across that lake to the force on the opposite side? Think of the implications. The implications I tell you!

I think that for a "terrain"-based game, hexes allow for a much more natural looking map.

Yonder wrote:
Yoyoson wrote:

Why are hexes so great, anyways?

With a hex map all six of the tiles adjacent to you are the same distance away. With squares half of the "adjacent" tiles are 1.44 units away instead. This can be sort of awkward when you are trying to represent ranges (giving you the "fat cross" city effect) if they are making units that can bombard from multiple tiles that could have been awkward as well.

Most people have only played with squares, so they are used to the idea of getting free movement when you move northeast as opposed to North, but it bugs a lot of people.

I think for Civ it's more of a preference versus one is better than the other.

Budo wrote:

"Hyperventilation is a sign of the weak. These are not people, but dead branches that need to be pruned if we are to thrive. How can you defeat the mind worm when you cannot dominate your own lungs?"

~Col. Corazon Santiago. Planet: A Survivalist's Guide

Nicely done. Man, I loved those quotes from Alpha Centauri.

The hexagon is the Siamese twin of Trapezoid World.

Maybe this will be the one I will actually learn to play. I certainly hope so.

Here's an example of typical AI "stack of doom" using Aggressive AI. Note that there are well over 200 units in that stack.
http://www.shodanproductions.com/misc/StackOfDoom.JPG

Sinkwater wrote:

Are those archers shooting across that lake to the force on the opposite side? Think of the implications. The implications I tell you!

I noticed that to, and started drooling with the possibilities, okay maybe not drooling but I still thought it was pretty cool.

WizKid wrote:
Sinkwater wrote:

Are those archers shooting across that lake to the force on the opposite side? Think of the implications. The implications I tell you!

I noticed that to, and started drooling with the possibilities, okay maybe not drooling but I still thought it was pretty cool.

We cannot allow an intercontinental ballistic arrow gap!

Good. Hexes might reduce the constant restarting when I can't get my cities placed just right to maximize available resources during the initial expansion phase.

Also, I'd kill for AC2 as well. Second only to Master of Orion 2 as my favorite strategy game.

gewy wrote:

Good. Hexes might reduce the constant restarting when I can't get my cities placed just right to maximize available resources during the initial expansion phase.

Also, I'd kill for AC2 as well. Second only to Master of Orion 2 as my favorite strategy game.

Here, people, is a man of mighty intelligence and refined tastes.

You know, I could forgive a lack of Alpha Centauri 2 if they let me nerve staple my drones in Civ 5.

NSMike wrote:

You know, I could forgive a lack of Alpha Centauri 2 if they let me nerve staple my drones in Civ 5.

That sounds painful.

Oh, and according to Steam, the game will come out on September 1st. http://store.steampowered.com/app/50...

What do you think the odds are they'll make a quick follow up Alpha Centauri game like they made Colonization for Civ 4? I'm not too optimistic myself and as cool as some mods are, they don't usually cut it for me.

Oh, and no announcement of a new Civ game would be complete without posting a link to...The Saga of Civ 2 Chick.

Please don't go, the drones need you, they look up to you

liquid wrote:

Oh, and according to Steam, the game will come out on September 1st. http://store.steampowered.com/app/50...

That's unusual for Steam to have a release date when there isn't an official one. Also, Wednesday release date makes me think it is just an estimate.

For you, the day Civ V graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for Civ V... it was Wednesday.

+1 boner here.