NBA Season 2012-13. Draft and off-season 2013.

Wow seems really early.

DSGamer wrote:

Especially not with Brian Shaw and other Phil Jackson acolytes hanging around.

Kurt Rambis poisoned that particular well.

LeapingGnome wrote:

Wow seems really early.

It does but at the same time if the West is going to be close at the top. Seeding matters allot in the NBA.

If hes a dead man walking anyways whats 1-2-3 weeks from now if it might actually save them 1-2-3 wins.

One comment I saw was it pretty much 'really? after 1.5 games of Nash and non 100% Howard?'

Lends to the theory that the players (Kobe) quit on him.

Blind_Evil wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

Especially not with Brian Shaw and other Phil Jackson acolytes hanging around.

Kurt Rambis poisoned that particular well.

Good point. It's possible Rambo is just a terrible coach, but that's fair. Phil Jackson proteges don't have an amazing track record as it is. Thinking of Clemmons in this case.

LeapingGnome wrote:

Wow seems really early.

I actually feel like it's late. He was terrible last season. I was shocked that they thought he was a good hire when they hired him, nevermind when they stuck with him. You're talking about 4 players (Kobe, Pau, Howard, Nash) who are either getting up there in years or starting to get hit with chronic injuries. The window for them is closing if it's even open. There's no time to waste with a mediocre coach.

This I love. (the con is classic) Regarding a potential candidate for the Lakers head coach job:

Pat Riley

Record: 1,210-694, .636, with Lakers, Knicks, Heat. Five NBA titles. Three Coach of Year awards (1990, ’93, ’97).

Pros: He was The Man on the Lakers sideline before Jackson eclipsed him. Huge part of the Showtime legacy that, with Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and the rest, still ranks as the highlight years in franchise history. Showed late-career chops in leading Miami to 2006 title.

Cons: Internet would blow up.

Looking at the below list I like:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/1...

Dunleavy (was very sad when he left LA)
Shaw (will he be too obsessed with trying to run the triangle to be effective?)
Fisher (can his composure court knowledge transfer over to coaching?)
Sloan (don't think he'd do it, Sloan is too low key for LA)

DSGamer wrote:

Good point. It's possible Rambo is just a terrible coach, but that's fair. Phil Jackson proteges don't have an amazing track record as it is. Thinking of Clemmons in this case.

LeapingGnome wrote:

Wow seems really early.

I actually feel like it's late. He was terrible last season. I was shocked that they thought he was a good hire when they hired him, nevermind when they stuck with him. You're talking about 4 players (Kobe, Pau, Howard, Nash) who are either getting up there in years or starting to get hit with chronic injuries. The window for them is closing if it's even open. There's no time to waste with a mediocre coach.

Yeah that is what I mean, if you were going to get rid of him after 5 games, you should have gotten rid of them in the off season. Instead now they look like panic mode and have to switch gears during the season.

How the he** did I miss this? Must have been the election.

fangblackbone wrote:

Looking at the below list I like:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/1...

Dunleavy (was very sad when he left LA)
Shaw (will he be too obsessed with trying to run the triangle to be effective?)
Fisher (can his composure court knowledge transfer over to coaching?)
Sloan (don't think he'd do it, Sloan is too low key for LA)

Dunleavy is awful.
Shaw, does he get respect?
Fisher, same thing plus he has no experience as an assistant.
Sloan I doubt wants to deal with the drama of L.A.

I have to think they already have someone on tap or they wouldn't have done it. It would be pretty funny if Jackson came back although I think a lot of his success was due to Tex.

LOL awesome!

I wish Roy Hibbert was a better basketball player, because as a personality I love him. Whether it's dancing as part of a flash mob or shooting hoops in Parks and Rec, he's a pretty funny dude.

Pacers

4-1 start for the T-wolves. Loving it.

Pacers without Granger aren't really the Pacers. After his procedure this week he's expected to be out 3 months though.

Going to be rough. Felt like they had a good shot at the #3 seed again this year, but maybe building on playoff experience. Now it will just be trying not to get too far out of it until Danny is back and then hopefully making a run down the stretch.

Stele wrote:

Pacers without Granger aren't really the Pacers.

Yeah, because the Timberwolves aren't missing anybody important.

Lakers won! I guess it was a smart decision to can Brown

iaintgotnopants wrote:
Stele wrote:

Pacers without Granger aren't really the Pacers.

Yeah, because the Timberwolves aren't missing anybody important. :)

Yeah, the Wolves being down Rubio and Love is a bigger deal IMO than the Pacers being without Granger. George Hill is impressively clutch, though. Every time they really needed a bucket he was there. Really hard to say who got the best of the Leonard/Hill trade.

Citizen86 wrote:

I'm getting Dish installed today. I was looking at games though... I didn't know that the Time Warner deal with the Lakers though meant that I won't be able to watch ANY Lakers games. Even local ones, they're only being broadcast on Time Warner and whatever deals they've made. I think DirecTV gets it as well. That's nuts.

Seems like my option is basically only the League Pass now.

Only 40% of Houston households are getting Rockets games right now. Mine isn't one of them.

Comcast Cable bought the rights, and no one else has picked up their new Comcast Sports Network.

No Harden and Lin here.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

Only 40% of Houston households are getting Rockets games right now. Mine isn't one of them.

Comcast Cable bought the rights, and no one else has picked up their new Comcast Sports Network.

No Harden and Lin here. :(

That's ridiculous. Well, the Dish guy got to our apartment and said it was going to be impossible to use it from our patio, so the only other option now is Time Warner (ugh). Fortunately I got them to give me the standard cable without all the extra channels we didn't really need for a $15 savings a month.

Can't decide if the Bulls are good or what.

I turned off the Wolves-Bulls game with 31 seconds left, knowing it to be out of reach. Apparently after that Chase Budinger hurt his knee, serious enough for teammates to be tweeting about praying for him. f*cking great. Rubio's knee injury came with 22 seconds left in the game last year.

Edit: this tweet gives some hope:

Chris Long ‏@jclong
Per the team, Chase Budinger's knee x-rays are negative. Calling it a "twisted knee" that will be re-evaluated in Dallas. #TWolves

Why would the Lakers hire D'Antoni over Phil? I have less faith in management after this move. It seems like Jim Buss feels threatened by Phil - you know, because Phil is the BEST at his job. Ugh.

Yeah traded one mediocre Mike for another.

Week 2 Fantasy Results:

Stele's Pacers 5
James Spartans 3

Stele's Cardinals 7
bad team name 2

Handy Men 9
Frosted Rubi-O's 0

Handy Boys 7
Royce White-Castles 2

Blind_Ballers 5
Citizen86's 76ers 4

Citizen86's Lakers 4
equally bad team name 5

New matchups start tonight. Set your rosters for the week!

I guess I'll post the standings update too, although this week it's pretty obviously the same as the scores from last week.

Rank...Team............Record.... %.... GB
Certis Division
1. Handy Men.............9-0-0...1.000.....-
4. Stele's Pacers.........5-3-1.....611 .....3.5
5. Blind_Ballers...........5-4-0....556 ......4
7. Citizen86's Lakers....4-5-0....444 ......5
9. James Spartans.......3-5-1....389 ......5.5
10. bad team name........2-7-0....222 .......7

Elysium Division
2. Handy Boys.................7-2-0.....778.....2
3. Stele's Cardinals...........7-2-0.....778.....2
6. equally bad team nam....5-4-0.....556.....4
8. Citizen86's 76ers...........4-5-0.....444.....5
11. Royce White-Castles......2-7-0.....222.....7
12. Frosted Rubi-O's...........0-9-0.....000.....9

I knew my second team was doing terribly, but I didn't realize that'd count as 0-9 and not 0-1. Curses!

Ouch, that's a kick to the groin. I'm sitting pretty right in the middle. Huzzah for mediocre!

Blind_Evil wrote:

I knew my second team was doing terribly, but I didn't realize that'd count as 0-9 and not 0-1. Curses!

Yeah me too. Honestly a little confused at the scoring. I thought the whole point of playing head-to-head was for us to end up with something like a 10-9 record over the 19 weeks.

Possible that I set something up wrong, or possible that we just misunderstood.

Ah the fun of being an experimental league.

That's how head to head scoring works in basketball, hockey, and baseball.

Each category is a game in itself.

By the end of the season the records will look ridiculous, but I'd rather have that than try to keep track of rotisserie stats all year.

Yeah I definitely like the matchup aspect, and the weekly cycle. Really just have to check in every Monday, and during the week watch out for injuries.

I can't believe how well the Timberwolves have been playing defensively. I knew Kirilenko would help a lot in that regard, but Dante Cunningham has been a huge addition as well. He brings huge amounts of energy and hits the shots he should hit. Malcolm Lee's been surprising as well. Alexey Shved looks like a real baller, I'm really glad he's locked up for three years at a very affordable 10 million.

Just as I went to start typing this Pekovic fell down and wasn't getting back up. This injury business is out of hand. FFS.

Solid win for the Wolves tonight, but that's the fourth game in a row where someone has left and not come back due to injury. Barea, Roy, Budinger, Pekovic. Add that to Love and Rubio and it's a wonder that this team is 5-2.