On this thing called "rape culture"

DanB wrote:

holy sh*t :(

My choice of words after reading the father's statement were significantly more profanity-filled... and even that doesn't fully express my rage at this.

Pretty sure that Dylan Roof is paying a steep price for a great deal less than 20 minutes of action.

Hypatian wrote:

Content note: Graphic description of rape and its aftermath, victim blaming

Here Is The Powerful Letter The Stanford Victim Read Aloud To Her Attacker
(Katie J.M. Baker, BuzzFeed News, 2016-06-03)

Six months county jail and probation...

This f*cking planet.

I am really struck by how effective and moving her statement was. It brought me to tears. And even more angry at the light sentence given to the rapist. The victim has some informative and pretty disturbing comments on how the probation officer's interview with her was conducted.

There's a Moveon petition to remove Judge Aaron Pensky from the bench due to the Stanford rape case verdict:

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/dem...

IMAGE(https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13325533_1021508571256836_593473864925346630_n.jpg?oh=8e5551e41e95c939d49de98529ddbba2&oe=5805D63D)

bekkilyn wrote:

There's a Moveon petition to remove Judge Aaron Pensky from the bench due to the Stanford rape case verdict:

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/dem...

And signed.

RedJen wrote:

IMAGE(https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13325533_1021508571256836_593473864925346630_n.jpg?oh=8e5551e41e95c939d49de98529ddbba2&oe=5805D63D)

Unless they're black.

Paleocon wrote:
RedJen wrote:

IMAGE(https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13325533_1021508571256836_593473864925346630_n.jpg?oh=8e5551e41e95c939d49de98529ddbba2&oe=5805D63D)

Unless they're black.

They also have an assumed potential, unfortunately it's an assumed potential for illegality regardless of what they were doing.

Black women definitely have a past.

sometimesdee wrote:

Black women definitely have a past.

Crissle West wrote:

Black women have been through so much sh1t. Black women been through so much.

I meant a past that makes their rapists "not guilty"...

There's another letter supporting the Stanford rapist that's causing trouble. Quotable quote:

rape on campuses isn’t always because people are rapists.

...

What.
The.
F*CK?

Wow

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/1GiFxYC.jpg)

SpacePPoliceman wrote:

There's another letter supporting the Stanford rapist that's causing trouble. Quotable quote:

rape on campuses isn’t always because people are rapists.

...

Nope nope nope. Not even bothering.

Bet this "Leslie" would change her tune if the same thing had happened to her. Has it never occurred to the people supporting this guy that he could still be a respectful model student and "swim star" instead of a rapist if he hadn't, well...raped someone? Being drunk is no excuse. When he chose to get drunk, he also chose the consequences resulting from that act. He's no more off the hook than if he had gotten into a car and killed someone.

"How could he be a rapist? He's such a cute smiley white boy!"

I wonder how many of the Brock apologists defended the murders of Michael Brown or Trayvon Martin.

bekkilyn wrote:

Bet this "Leslie" would change her tune if the same thing had happened to her. Has it never occurred to the people supporting this guy that he could still be a respectful model student and "swim star" instead of a rapist if he hadn't, well...raped someone? Being drunk is no excuse. When he chose to get drunk, he also chose the consequences resulting from that act. He's no more off the hook than if he had gotten into a car and killed someone.

I'm not sure why all these people seem to think that "raping under the influence" is somehow a less troublesome thing. If he's going to drink to the point where he can't stop himself from raping someone, maybe he shouldn't have been drinking?

Farscry wrote:

"How could he be a rapist? He's such a cute smiley white boy!"

This is, I think, one of the ways where the popular image of rape--that of the creepy stranger in the bushes--hurts rape victims and lets rapists go unnoticed. The idea that the popular "good kid" might rape someone doesn't fit that picture. He doesn't look like a "rapist", because he's not poor, lower-class, or black.

That past-potential tweet is such a succinct and great point.

The Leslie Rasmussen letter on the other hand is epic levels of bullsh*t and entitlement

I would not be writing this letter if I had any doubt in my mind that he is innocent

Well, guess what, you weren't on the jury and the jury was quite convinced otherwise.

From what is being circulated in the media (spoiler alert in case of triggers)

Spoiler:

the two Swedish students who spotted the assault apparently noticed the victim lay completely still while the defendant was aggressively assaulting her. They called him on it, he got up and ran, so one gave chase and restrained him while the other checked the victim and called emergency serviced as she still wasn't moving. He was so drunk according to Leslie yet he was sober enough to realise he'd been caught in the act and tried to make a getaway.

Further, the prosecutor stated the case could not be pursued without their testimony as the victim was unconscious.

With that set of facts and the ultimate guilty verdict, this Leslie person's statement is about as good as that of the defendant's father, as in, not worth the paper it was written on. Hope she learns from the public backlash which is mounting.

Also, I was pretty happy to hear that petition to remove the judge hit 370,000 pretty quickly. Serves him right for trying to shelter a Stanford student.

Bfgp wrote:

Also, I was pretty happy to hear that petition to remove the judge hit 370,000 pretty quickly. Serves him right for trying to shelter a Stanford student.

Hell yeah, I find the sentencing sickening.

I do wonder if the fact that the folks that stopped this rapist were Swedish foreign students played a role in their willingness to get involved. I hear all the time of folks walking away from situations because they don't want to get involved. I can't help but think that what goes on in the mind of such people is influenced by shared cultural context. As foreigners, I imagine they were enough outside of such context that it may have been easier for them to intervene.

Paleocon wrote:

I do wonder if the fact that the folks that stopped this rapist were Swedish foreign students played a role in their willingness to get involved. I hear all the time of folks walking away from situations because they don't want to get involved. I can't help but think that what goes on in the mind of such people is influenced by shared cultural context. As foreigners, I imagine they were enough outside of such context that it may have been easier for them to intervene.

I foresee a civil lawsuit coming to those two Swedish students. I really hope I'm wrong, but I really hate some people in this country.

It's striking how Rasmussen's letter is suffused with faulty and ugly "it's not real rape, not rape-rape" thinking, when the case has a lot of the markers that adherents to such thinking look for. Scumbag led or dragged a woman behind a dumpster, sounds exactly like the sort of movie-ready scenario they seem to think defines the crime. As some of the AV Club commenters pointed out, apparently being white and rich enough for Stanford is enough (and a yearbook pic with combed hair helps).

This Ken White piece on the Judge and privilege angle is a good read

http://mimesislaw.com/fault-lines/br...

DanB wrote:

This Ken White piece on the Judge and privilege angle is a good read

http://mimesislaw.com/fault-lines/br...

Read it this morning (slow work day). Couldn't figure out if it belonged here or in the privilege thread.

So you won’t find defense lawyers like me cheering Brock Turner’s escape from appropriate consequences. We see it as a grim reminder of the brokenness of the system. We recognize it as what makes the system impossible for many of our clients to trust or respect. And we know that when there’s a backlash against mercy and lenient sentences – when cases like this or the “affluenza” kid inspire public appetite for longer sentences – it’s not the rich who pay the price. It’s the ones who never saw much mercy to begin with.

Really important point here.

Just out of curiosity, I did some research on other events that took "twenty minutes of action" to unfold. Most notable among them was the hijacking of UA175, which between 0842 and 0903 went from a perfectly normal commuter flight to a suicide missile that murdered thousands.

Paleocon wrote:

Just out of curiosity, I did some research on other events that took "twenty minutes of action" to unfold. Most notable among them was the hijacking of UA175, which between 0842 and 0903 went from a perfectly normal commuter flight to a suicide missile that murdered thousands.

The assault portion of the UBL raid only took 18m.