Playstation 4

After numerous attempts I was able to boot into safe mode, do a factory reset, and get back into the main menu. I attempted to launch a game and the screen became glitchy and the PS4 powered off. Now it's back to square one. I've tried several different cables, different TVs, turning it upside down, reseating the hard drive. Nothing works. Seems to just be legitimately broken.

Called around locally to attempt to find another one to buy, but apparently sold out means sold out.

Setting up twitch was beyond simple. I wish finding a friend's stream were easier though, I could find tuffalobuffalo via the "Live from PlayStation" app by searching for his name, but I'd have expected to select 'watch' or something similar from my friend list.

I've been sampling some more games, and thought I'd share my thoughts:
- Having never played a Madden game, I think Madden 25 was pretty great. It may be an incremental update, but I really liked it.
- I played FIFA 14, and really like it too. I'm very clueless with regard to football/soccer, but I could see why people love the game.
- Killzone is gorgeous and I love it. I am a fan of KZ games, and I am a fan of the eye candy, so I suspect I may like this one more than others.
- AC4 is amazing too, especially when I compare it to the PS3 version. The visual disparity is huge, and I imagine people who haven't played a PC version are going to be blown away. I'm likely going to spend more time playing this above the rest for now.

Most of these new games have embraced the same kind of UI style as the new consoles, so the transition from the OS menu to the game menu is seamless. So far, I haven't been disappointed by any of the games or the console itself. I really hope others have the same luck.

groan wrote:

My fan isn't so much sick sounding as it is just LOUD! Anyone else notice how ridiculously loud the fan is?

My unit is actually very quiet. The only sound I've heard that I've noticed is the drive spinning down after initially loading a game.

Got pretty far in Contrast. The twitch broadcasting works really great. Time to get outside for awhile but I'll be back at it later this afternoon.

Same. I don't hear the unit at all. Bf4 looks as good as my PC, granted im not running the latest and greatest but a gtx660 isn't exactly a slouch.

My PS4 is slightly louder than my Slim. What's the normal suppose to be? I've heard a range of reports.

cyrax wrote:

My PS4 is slightly louder than my Slim. What's the normal suppose to be? I've heard a range of reports.

This is about how I would describe mine. It does get notably warm on top (side when vertical), though.

Also, I finally noticed one glaring hole in the launch lineup this morning: where's the Youtube app...?

Having a great time playing some more today. Loving the interface and checking out the "What's New" screen is cool to find other players screenshots/videos/streams. Really slick! And also being able to see other friends adding each other and being able to add those people through that, it's a really nice feature. And a great way to find GWJ peeps!

Been having trouble with BF4 crashing, twice during campaign. One of those times it corrupted my save for the game, so had to start campaign over. Wasn't that far, but just a heads up for anyone else.

The times I've taken breaks or needed a breather from bigger games, Resogun has been awesome to hop into really quick! Had a nice run on the 1st level in Arcade on Experienced and think I might have touched off a GWJ Resogun war...

IMAGE(http://s14.postimg.org/x7jet2ozx/image.jpg) IMAGE(http://s14.postimg.org/p0rf1hyx9/image.jpg)

...This gonna be fun!!!

(Posting this from my phone, so sorry if the pics aren't the best. Can't tell too well on here. Clicking through they look okay though. Just a heads up :D)

Has anyone tried plugging in a stereo headset into the controller?

I am curious about the sound quality and if it actually outputs a stereo feed. Being able to plug in a nice pair of headphones with a mic. and get a good, clean, dynamic sound would be great feature, especially for late night gaming.

I'm having audio issues!!

My setup:
ps4 ---HDMI---> Onkyo Receiver ---HDMI---> TV

PS4 options:
HDMI. Linear PCM.

Using the selection "Multichannel" on my receiver (as I did on my PS3) gives me 5.1 surround sound in the system music and Resogun, but in Contrast and Music Unlimited it is sending 2.0 to the receiver. It doesn't matter the setting I choose on the receiver bc that won't change the fact the ps4 is sending 2.0 Linear PCM.

I wish it had the options the PS3 had.

24 hours and everything seems to be going ok so far. On the one hand, I haven't received any PSN maintenance messages so far today. On the other, the "What's new" section hasn't been populating at all. Until Leohart85 mentioned it above, I honestly assumed they had disabled it for the day to reduce server load. The other online features seem to be working fine for me today.

On the noise front, it sounds about like my PS3 slim did when it was new, except the drive is louder, especially you put in a BluRay movie. It seems to spin up and then slow down noisily in the previews, but once the movie actually starts it is pretty quiet. (the drive isn't really loud when running, just when spinning up and when slowing down.)

I've played some Resogun and the first three chapters of Killzone so far. The former is fun, but I don't know how long it will hold my interest. The latter is better than I expected, but my expectations were pretty low. It is nowhere close to my favorite shooter, but I quite liked Chapter 3. Also, the controller is growing on me.

I also downloaded but haven't tried Contrast and started up Assassin's Creed to get the install going and the patch downloaded. I haven't previously played any Assassin's Creed games except the first hour of so of the original, but the relative lack of titles, the Amazon sale, and PIRATES convinced me to give this one a try. I almost bought last year's title based on the Rev. War setting, but then reconsidered after hearing what a mess it was from Certis and Justin McElroy on the conference call.

I also loaded up Flower because my daughter wanted to play on the new console, but I didn't have any other kid-friendly fare. (Lego Marvel is in Santa's closet). Unsurprisingly, it still looks very pretty on the new system.

I also was disappointed to find that War Thunder wasn't yet available. A google search indicates that when the developer said it would be ready for Launch day they actually meant European launch day. Guess I'll be waiting a couple of weeks for that one. By then, I'll have Zelda 3DS and the Mario 3D World so I don't know how much time I'll have for their FTP game.

@Jamull

Maybe the games/music service only output stereo feeds?

@jamull I'll load Contrast and see if I get surround sound.

EDIT: I'm using a very different setup (Dolby Digital 5.1 over optical because my receiver is from 1999) but it looks like Contrast is also only playing in stereo for me as well. I'm guessing that as an indie game, the developer didn't bother with surround sound. I don't have Music Unlimited, but I can see it being stereo only as well.

Good to hear the UI seems quick & snappy. Anyone ventured online with Killzone yet, initial impressions?

Evolution have put another short tease up of Driveclub showing the dynamic skies over on their facebook page. This extra development time is paying off, it looks stunning, I'm not big into racing games but just to drive around those locations will be some serious eye candy.

https://www.facebook.com/driveclubofficial

Certis wrote:

Wrapping my PS4 in a flannel blanket last night to deaden the fan noise ended up fixing the fan problem completely. Now it's totally normal.

I'm still going to call support eventually and get it replaced, but it's really weird forcing the fan to go at top speed due to heat ended up knocking it into place.

With luck, it was just a funky ball bearing and maybe it's all good now? The top fan in my pc case has a similar issue; every once in a while the bearings seem to make it slow down and rattle when I turn on the pc, but stopping the fan and then kickstarting it does the trick. It's a four year old case fan so I'm not particularly bothered by this.

heavyfeul wrote:

Has anyone tried plugging in a stereo headset into the controller?

I am curious about the sound quality and if it actually outputs a stereo feed. Being able to plug in a nice pair of headphones with a mic. and get a good, clean, dynamic sound would be great feature, especially for late night gaming.

I used my Sony MDR1 headphones in the controller and the sound was very good

I really like that feature!

Quick question- Are What's New and the info screens below each game loading up for everyone else? Yesterday they worked about half the time for me. The other half they just gave me a "PSN is down" error.

This morning I received an error and they have just been completely gone since then. Looking at the error log, it looks like I received errors WV-33898-1 and NW-31448-0 in application NPXS20001. Since then the info screens below each game and the What's new screen don't even try to load. A reboot didn't make any difference.

EDIT: It looks like if I go to the "Library" and click on a game it tries to display this info screen, but it then immediately closes and takes me back to the XMB.

interstate78 wrote:
heavyfeul wrote:

Has anyone tried plugging in a stereo headset into the controller?

I am curious about the sound quality and if it actually outputs a stereo feed. Being able to plug in a nice pair of headphones with a mic. and get a good, clean, dynamic sound would be great feature, especially for late night gaming.

I used my Sony MDR1 headphones in the controller and the sound was very good

I really like that feature!

It doesn't really have enough oomph to power my AKG K702s. I just tried it out of curiosity. I suspect it might work well with my Sennheiser HD 439s, though, which are designed for mobile devices. They're at work right now so I can't try it.

Jasonofindy wrote:

Quick question- Are What's New and the info screens below each game loading up for everyone else? Yesterday they worked about half the time for me. The other half they just gave me a "PSN is down" error.

This morning I received an error and they have just been completely gone since then. Looking at the error log, it looks like I received errors WV-33898-1 and NW-31448-0 in application NPXS20001. Since then the info screens below each game and the What's new screen don't even try to load. A reboot didn't make any difference.

They have been gone for me as well. My guess is that Sony is shutting down lots of information only type features of PSN to alleviate some of the load they are under right now. I have no info to back that up, but it seems reasonable.

sithcundman wrote:
Jasonofindy wrote:

Quick question- Are What's New and the info screens below each game loading up for everyone else? Yesterday they worked about half the time for me. The other half they just gave me a "PSN is down" error.

This morning I received an error and they have just been completely gone since then. Looking at the error log, it looks like I received errors WV-33898-1 and NW-31448-0 in application NPXS20001. Since then the info screens below each game and the What's new screen don't even try to load. A reboot didn't make any difference.

They have been gone for me as well. My guess is that Sony is shutting down lots of information only type features of PSN to alleviate some of the load they are under right now. I have no info to back that up, but it seems reasonable.

That's what I initially figured (see my post around 4:00), but then I began to second guess myself. Knowing that is down for others makes me feel a lot more confident that the issue is server-side.

Thanks for alleviating my silly worries. (I need to stop reading all of the "my PS4 is broken" threads and stop being paranoid. Every little noise and I'm fearing a failure. It is just silly of me.

Jasonofindy wrote:
sithcundman wrote:
Jasonofindy wrote:

Quick question- Are What's New and the info screens below each game loading up for everyone else? Yesterday they worked about half the time for me. The other half they just gave me a "PSN is down" error.

This morning I received an error and they have just been completely gone since then. Looking at the error log, it looks like I received errors WV-33898-1 and NW-31448-0 in application NPXS20001. Since then the info screens below each game and the What's new screen don't even try to load. A reboot didn't make any difference.

They have been gone for me as well. My guess is that Sony is shutting down lots of information only type features of PSN to alleviate some of the load they are under right now. I have no info to back that up, but it seems reasonable.

That's what I initially figured (see my post around 4:00), but then I began to second guess myself. Knowing that is down for others makes me feel a lot more confident that the issue is server-side.

Thanks for alleviating my silly worries. (I need to stop reading all of the "my PS4 is broken" threads and stop being paranoid. Every little noise and I'm fearing a failure. It is just silly of me.

Yea, I just noticed that they're gone for me as well now. The "What's New" feature was working early this morning, but not now.

Also, BF4 crashed AGAIN when I was just after the title screen. When coming back from the crash, it told me the save was corrupt again...Well, not playing BF4 anymore for awhile. Don't wanna even mess with Multiplayer til they get the game patched up and stable :s

Malor wrote:

You know, I was thinking that if they cracked the lockdown on the PS4, I might jump in immediately. Not for the pirated games, but for access to the hardware.

I'm in a boat slightly to the left of that boat, for it is not for the hardware itself, but for the chance to write programs for it, the unified memory is enticing.

heavyfeul wrote:

@Jamull

Maybe the games/music service only output stereo feeds?

Tuffalo said that he was getting 5.1 with Contrast and using Optical.

The Music Unlimited app on ps3 worked perfectly with my surround and sounded stellar.

I'm not seeing any of the What's New or game info either

Jamull99 wrote:
heavyfeul wrote:

@Jamull

Maybe the games/music service only output stereo feeds?

Tuffalo said that he was getting 5.1 with Contrast and using Optical.

The Music Unlimited app on ps3 worked perfectly with my surround and sounded stellar.

I'm not seeing any of the What's New or game info either :(

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that. It was 2 channel. I was just trying to say that the sound was working. Personally, I'd prefer stereo instead of 5.1 for music because it's released that way. The 5.1 is just an artificial mix which is fine but maybe not necessary. They'll probably add more options in the future with updates.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that. It was 2 channel. I was just trying to say that the sound was working. Personally, I'd prefer stereo instead of 5.1 for music because it's released that way. The 5.1 is just an artificial mix which is fine but maybe not necessary. They'll probably add more options in the future with updates.

Oh ok. That makes more sense for Contrast.

As for the music, yeah, I see your point, but if you were sitting on my couch, you'd change your mind after hearing how the ps3 sounded

Jamull99 wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that. It was 2 channel. I was just trying to say that the sound was working. Personally, I'd prefer stereo instead of 5.1 for music because it's released that way. The 5.1 is just an artificial mix which is fine but maybe not necessary. They'll probably add more options in the future with updates.

Oh ok. That makes more sense for Contrast.

As for the music, yeah, I see your point, but if you were sitting on my couch, you'd change your mind after hearing how the ps3 sounded ;)

Ha. Well, your receiver should have an artificial 5.1 mode you could pop it into for when you're playing stereo music. It just does exactly what the PS3 will do and artificially create a 5.1 mix from the stereo source file. I always used that mode with the Wii to give myself an artificial 5.1 track. Worked great.

mateofalcone wrote:

I wish finding a friend's stream were easier though, I could find tuffalobuffalo via the "Live from PlayStation" app by searching for his name, but I'd have expected to select 'watch' or something similar from my friend list.

I just checked this out. Yeah, they really need to fix that. There isn't even a way to sort by friend streams first. They also need to let you watch someone's broadcast just by looking at your friends list. They'll fix that eventually. It's a great start because they got the foundation working perfectly. Got my camera today and the PiP works excellent with the streaming too. It's probably the best reason to buy a playstation camera.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:
mateofalcone wrote:

I wish finding a friend's stream were easier though, I could find tuffalobuffalo via the "Live from PlayStation" app by searching for his name, but I'd have expected to select 'watch' or something similar from my friend list.

I just checked this out. Yeah, they really need to fix that. There isn't even a way to sort by friend streams first. They also need to let you watch someone's broadcast just by looking at your friends list. They'll fix that eventually. It's a great start because they got the foundation working perfectly. Got my camera today and the PiP works excellent with the streaming too. It's probably the best reason to buy a playstation camera.

Does the friend list at least say "streaming Game X" instead of "playing Game X" so that you know to search for your friends' streams?

Jasonofindy wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:
mateofalcone wrote:

I wish finding a friend's stream were easier though, I could find tuffalobuffalo via the "Live from PlayStation" app by searching for his name, but I'd have expected to select 'watch' or something similar from my friend list.

I just checked this out. Yeah, they really need to fix that. There isn't even a way to sort by friend streams first. They also need to let you watch someone's broadcast just by looking at your friends list. They'll fix that eventually. It's a great start because they got the foundation working perfectly. Got my camera today and the PiP works excellent with the streaming too. It's probably the best reason to buy a playstation camera.

Does the friend list at least say "streaming Game X" instead of "playing Game X" so that you know to search for your friends' streams?

I dunno. I looked, but none of my friends were streaming as far as I could tell.

The thought of my PS4 sitting on my bed still packed up for another week plus is really starting to bother me. I should've had it shipped down here.