Inspired by Blotto's post, I decided to put together a GWJ member map using Google Maps. It's not the same as a built-in site utility, but it should work pretty well all things considered.
Now, this is an opt-in kind of thing, meaning you have to add your own location to the map. I'm not going to put anyone on there who doesn't want to be.
Also, no address details allowed. You'll want to put yourself in the correct city, but no closer than that. This is a public map, so anyone can read it.
To keep the map working well, here's a brief set of instructions on the proper way to add your city.
1 - Use the search function to find your city on the map.
2 - A city that's already been added to the map will have a colored icon in the search results. If your city has a colored icon (like Cedar Rapids in the photo below), select it and skip to step #6. (Note that the colored icon may not always be a red pin; it can be customized).
3 - A city that has not been added to the map will have a grey icon. If no colored icon appears, select the appropriate grey icon.
4 - Once the new city is selected, it will appear as a green pin on the map. Select the green pin and click the "+ Add to map" link.
5 - There will now be a red pin on the map representing your city. Select this new red pin and click the edit (pencil) button.
6 - Click in the "goodjers" box for your city and add your name. Separate multiple names with commas.
7 - Click save and you're done!
That's it! Let's see if we can keep this map clean and useful. Since anyone can edit it, it's up to all of us to keep it that way.
- To change a city icon, hover over the city name in the list and click the paint bucket icon.
- Leave the "style" option set to "Individual styles". Changing it will erase the custom icons that people have setup.
- Click the "data" link at the top of the list to bring up a searchable spreadsheet of all map data. If you want to find a specific person, this is the way to do it.
- Much of the data on the map was copied over manually, so if you see an error, feel free to fix it.
- There's no restore function yet on this new map interface, so please don't delete anything!
Finally, click here to access the map!