Euro Truck Simulator 2 catch-all

The first truck I purchased was a Majestic. The second was a Scania. Both entry level models. The Majestic handles really well, although it can struggle with heavier loads on inclines. The Scania has a huge fuel tank in comparison, and has a little more power under the hood. It has been a while since I've played, thus I cannot recall which cabin and dashboard was my favorite of the two.

Someone recommended Volvo to me when I started, and don't see anything wrong with that. The starting Volvos have one of the strongest engines of all the choices.

Volvo all the way.

Thirding the Volvo! Love mine.

Yeah, Volvo as well.

My first truck was Renault, cause I liked the dash.

Volvo's got the best power, but don't stress that stuff too much. No matter what you get, you'll be able to hand it off to your minions as soon as you can afford a second truck (and they don't care about truck stats).

Volvo here too. It was also my second truck, for that lazy ass bastard who insists on running empty back to home base after every. freaking. load.

AnimeJ wrote:

Volvo here too. It was also my second truck, for that lazy ass bastard who insists on running empty back to home base after every. freaking. load.

I had a guy who would only do an in-town delivery, and then take the rest of the day to "rest".

Yeah, it was so stressful driving the <1 mile to deliver that, wasn't it?

MAN has the best visibility, by far. Its handling is good, and it has powerful engines once you hit around level 10. It also looks fantastic. It's my primary right now, but I might switch back to...

The Scania, which has fantastic handling and a superior dashboard, plus loads of customization options. SCS works most closely with Scania of all of the truck manufacturers included; there's a reason their truck is on the front of the box. It receives a lot of love from the developers.

I haven't driven the Mercedes Majestic, but apparently it has the very best handling.

The Volvo is powerful, but I always felt that it drove like a brick. It lost control easily in turns and braking was terrifying.

Renault is just junk. I mean, I cut my teeth driving around France, but ugh.

I had a kind of funny moment when I started playing this weekend.

Prior to the expansion I was in the middle of a delivery. I was intentionally working the eastern part of the map, so I'd be able to explore the new area pretty shortly after launch.

So I fired up the game, thinking I'd just need to finish that delivery, and I'd be all set to explore the new map.

What greets me is a message something like:

game updated! current deliveries have been canceled at no cost to you and your truck has been moved to a safe location!

Doh! So... where's a safe location?

Turns out it's my garage... in Lille. So, now I've got a long way yet to go before I can actually "Go East"

Volvo followed closely by Scania gets my votes.

Archangel wrote:

SCS works most closely with Scania of all of the truck manufacturers included; there's a reason their truck is on the front of the box. It receives a lot of love from the developers.

Yup. SCS even made a whole game centered around the brand using the ETS2 game engine. It's pretty fly.

Archangel wrote:

MAN has the best visibility, by far. Its handling is good, and it has powerful engines once you hit around level 10. It also looks fantastic. It's my primary right now, but I might switch back to...

The Scania, which has fantastic handling and a superior dashboard, plus loads of customization options. SCS works most closely with Scania of all of the truck manufacturers included; there's a reason their truck is on the front of the box. It receives a lot of love from the developers.

I haven't driven the Mercedes Majestic, but apparently it has the very best handling.

The Volvo is powerful, but I always felt that it drove like a brick. It lost control easily in turns and braking was terrifying.

Renault is just junk. I mean, I cut my teeth driving around France, but ugh.

Seconding everything here. Driving the MAN now and loving it. The Scania was the first truck I really got attached to, and I'm almost at the level to buy the most powerful engine for it, at which point I'll probably switch back to it. I did buy a Renault, drove it for exactly one delivery, and it felt like driving a (cheap) toy truck, so I swapped it out to one of my drivers who had the MAN.

I was having a bad day today. I was frustrated and irritable. I decided I needed something to take my mind off the problems at hand, so I logged into Steam and had a quick browse of my games. ETS2 seemed to best fit the bill to relax and mellow out. It worked a treat. Towards the end of my two delivery run, going east from Calais, I was taking in the beautiful scenery, the relaxing music from a random radio station, and feeling at ease.

I am level 10 at present, looking to explore south from my current position, perhaps down to Italy. I have a lot of map to uncover. I still haven't completed the UK!

Went on a delivery through England and I couldn't believe how terrible the MAN was. Up to this point, all the MAN trucks I drove were great, but on this trip everything went south. The vehicle was 4x2 and had 400ish HP. I expected it to struggle a bit through the hills, but it couldn't even get up to speed on the low incline highways. For the first time ever, my delivery was late.

Volvos have a lot of power, but the turning is far too sharp for my tastes. Gonna test a few more Scanias and a Majestic before I make my choice.

Deadmonkeys wrote:

Went on a delivery through England and I couldn't believe how terrible the MAN was. Up to this point, all the MAN trucks I drove were great, but on this trip everything went south. The vehicle was 4x2 and had 400ish HP. I expected it to struggle a bit through the hills, but it couldn't even get up to speed on the low incline highways. For the first time ever, my delivery was late.

I too was frustrated with the early MAN engines and hills; I made a run over the Alps (!) and it was murder. I recommend taking lighter loads in any truck in the beginning levels anyway, but I think the MAN is one of the heaviest trucks in the game. I have a ~600HP engine in there now and it's great, but the early levels were difficult enough that I switched back to my starter truck, the Scania. It was much better at mid-levels; I think the Scania has a good engine power vs level curve. Interestingly, around the mid-levels, the MAN has more powerful engines available; then Scania finally overtakes it in later levels with the monster 750HP. It's almost like the game wants you to try out different trucks. =)

Rock, Paper, Shotgun asked the team being the Train Simulator and Railworks games if they'd ever consider putting in a tycoon like mini game like ETS2 did. To put it simply the Railworks team feels adding in that extra tycoon stuff makes it firmly a game and no longer a simulator. I understand where their coming from but I won't deny I'd put a lot more time into Train Simulator 2014 if it did have the brilliant progression and tycoon game of ETS2.

Also, related to the conversation happening recently, I've enjoyed my Volvo to great degree but I won't deny it's breaks are a little lacking and I tend to plow into anyone at a red light.

That's disappointing, and frankly very narrow-minded if you ask me. Why can't the thing be both a game AND a simulator? It was the tycoon aspects that finally sold me on ETS 2, if it was only driving a freight truck around Europe I don't think I'd have bought it.

Wolfen Victrocious wrote:

I've enjoyed my Volvo to great degree but I won't deny it's breaks are a little lacking and I tend to plow into anyone at a red light.

If you're playing M+K, have you set your braking strength to maximum in the options menu? It's basically the difference between slamming on your brakes and easing onto them.

Wolfen Victrocious wrote:

Also, related to the conversation happening recently, I've enjoyed my Volvo to great degree but I won't deny it's breaks are a little lacking and I tend to plow into anyone at a red light.

Had that happen to me in-game in my Volvo this weekend. Was at one of those places where the left lane is trying to merge into the right and the AI driver in front of me suddenly decided to stop to let everyone merge. Plowed right into the back of them.

Then they decided to sit there and not move. After a minute or so I gave up and saved/reloaded (which removes all AI cars from your area).

Took a 420 HP Scania out for a ride with a small tanker. It had loads of power but the handling was touchy. Like the Volvo, I thought it was going to tip over taking moderate corners at high speed.

Probably going for an upgraded Majestic or MAN truck. Taking a 500 HP Majestic on a tour of England's hills with a 24 ton load before I decide.

ahrezmendi wrote:

That's disappointing, and frankly very narrow-minded if you ask me. Why can't the thing be both a game AND a simulator? It was the tycoon aspects that finally sold me on ETS 2, if it was only driving a freight truck around Europe I don't think I'd have bought it.

I partially agree. The business building aspect is a great part and should be increased if anything. But even if the only aspect of the game was driving around a condensed version of Europe in a tractor trailer, I'd still find it worthwhile.

I'm about halfway to owning my own truck with my current profile. Haven't decided on a specific model, but I figured for my first truck I was mainly going to decide based on how nice the interior looks. Probably shortsighted, but at this point I haven't had any serious issues with the performance of the different trucks I've driven.

I guess the challenge with Train Simulator is that while you can easily roll up your own small trucking company, Train Sim represents real world lines run by massive companies. What would be very cool is a Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon style game with route building, scheduling and progression where you actually do your runs.

Deadmonkeys wrote:

Took a 420 HP Scania out for a ride with a small tanker. It had loads of power but the handling was touchy. Like the Volvo, I thought it was going to tip over taking moderate corners at high speed.

Probably going for an upgraded Majestic or MAN truck. Taking a 500 HP Majestic on a tour of England's hills with a 24 ton load before I decide.

Biggest thing for stability in corners is the axle configuration. Be sure to try 6x2 or 6x4.

The one challenge I had with the MAN 6x2 is that it cut the fuel capacity in half, so I was fueling up on nearly every trip. Not a big deal, but definitely an annoyance. The 6x4 restores the extra fuel tank to your car.

Speaking about MAN's, I keep seeing that I have a new exhaust pipe available, but I have no idea where they are in the store? Do the MANs just not use them?

Should be an exterior option, one of the last two tabs in the store.

I click every anchor point and none of them bring up the exhausts unless there's one hiding somewhere I don't see.

Not all upgrades are compatible with each other. I think the larger sleeper cabs have fewer exhaust options available.

Actually, it's the chassis that makes the difference. I've only ever been able to swap the sideskirts and exhausts on the stock 4x2 chassis, for any manufacturer. Once you switch to 6x2 or 6x4, those options disappear. I don't own any Iveco or Majestic trucks yet, but that's been the case on the five manufacturers I do have.

So this keeps crossing my mind:

$200

2 of 5

Pick a PC game for members of the GWJ staff to play and do a Let's Play Video about it! [Limit 5]

Is it worth $200 to force them all to play ETS2? I'm just not sure!

I was sorely tempted to do it, but the budget won't allow for it this year. I give a big thumbs up to anybody who is willing to fund the staff playing ETS 2.