Game Dev Tycoon: The Game Thread

OG_slinger wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

I've never unlocked that bit. I've gotten AAA games and MMO games researched before the 35 year limit, but could not finish my AAA MMO before my time ran out.

I did. A AAA, multi-platform MMO that cost me something like $95 million to develop. And it got threes and fours from the critics. Needless to say, I went bankrupt a little after that.

Damn, this game is realistic.

Mine did well (post-game-finish), but started going into the red as I finished up the expansion.

Where's the option to shut down an MMO once it's no longer profitable?

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Where's the option to shut down an MMO once it's no longer profitable?

Click on the MMO revenue/cost chart and you should get an option to discontinue/retire it.

I just bought this, since I've played a LOT of Game Dev Story and liked what this offered. I'm 6 titles in, with my 6th (EMT Stories on TES) scoring 8/8/8/7 which I don't recall ever accomplishing in Game Dev Story. Bullfrog is just getting started.

Okay, so I stayed up until 2 am playing this last night. Way more addicting than other Kairosoft-esque games I've played and I like it better than Game Dev Story believe it or not. Not sure why, but it clicked with me.

Aha, so that's why you suddenly had a bajillion steam achievements in one go

garion333 wrote:

Okay, so I stayed up until 2 am playing this last night. Way more addicting than other Kairosoft-esque games I've played and I like it better than Game Dev Story believe it or not. Not sure why, but it clicked with me.

I found the flow and UI of this game made me love it much more then Game Dev Story.

There's a lot more options, and more challenge in this one, which is why I'm liking it as an improvement over Game Dev Story. I've just reached a point where my lack of research is holding me back, since the reviewers aren't impressed by my old-style technology on the newer systems. This sort of thing never happened in Game Dev Story, let alone the various features you can choose to include in your games and assigning a team member to each area during each phase of research.

I may have over-staffed too soon, we'll see if letting go of my weakest team member will help my funds.

Overstaffing will sink you rather quick if you're not careful. That said, dedicating a member to research isn't a terrible idea. Let them create reports and do the research while everyone else works.

Even though I played this a bit after it got some notoriety, I just finished a 35 year run on the Steam version. I focused on high quality infrequent PC only strategy and RPG games with a few exceptions. I was doing well and making a lot of acclaimed games, but I tried to make an MMO out of my first perfect 10 game and it started to drain me so fast that I went down to about 4mil where I was saved by a last second 100mil hit and sailed to the end.

Nice Findaer

Atlus just finished it's 35 years of business. Not one to jump on high tech bandwagons, the company focused exclusively on 2D games primarily for the PC. With a penchant for Dungeon RPGs (26 released titles) it's ironic that Atlus is most well known for their Pirate Adventure game Red Seas (261M profit, most profitable game). Towards the end of it's tenure Atlus dabbled in making their own console, but their PC titles and distribution platform proved a far more profitable venture. Atlus shall be a name long remembered.

I did all the R&D options, but there wasn't time to pursue MMOs. I think next game I'll try to get onto Medium and Large games a bit faster, I spent too much time building Small games and training up my staff. It worked, but I think I could have made more money by moving on sooner. I'm also going to spend a LOT more Research next time on training, rather than game features. There were some features I never made use of, and since you can't possibly include all features it seems better to focus on a few you want to include rather than having all of them.

Final Score: 60M points.

How many employees do you guys get before starting on medium, large, and AAA games?

I had 2 fully trained employees before I started on medium publisher contracts, and 3 before I started self-publishing. I had a full staff before I started on large, and I never did AAA.

I finally got a AAA MMO out the door before the end of the game. Just barely.

Played a bit past the end and put out 2 expansions for it. The 2nd one bankrupted me. While my online MMORPG "Dungeon Lords Online" made me quite a tidy profit, the maintenance costs ballooned past the sales income before the first expansion was finished. The sales that the expansion brought did not last long enough to make it worth it. I went bankrupt before the 2nd could finish, even with a bank loan. I didn't make any other games during that period, though I did do some contract work and develop a new engine.

While I get that most MMO games in the real world shut down, I'm not convinced that Game Dev Tycoon's MMO model is a good one. What is it emulating? WoW or something like Guild Wars? It feels like the latter.

Yonder wrote:

How many employees do you guys get before starting on medium, large, and AAA games?

3 total for medium, 6 total for large, and AAA with 6 or 7.

I was doing pretty well with three employees, and decided it was time to go up to four. I had a bit of an unlucky string after that, and with the extra salary of the fourth person it looked like trouble. I had to take out a $630 million loan to tide me over until the sales of my last game started coming in.

Model City 2. City/Simulation. 10. 10. 10. 10. $37 million in profits. Oh yeah! That's more than 10 times more than any of my previous games in any playthrough (and my first perfect game)! Now we are talking.

Yonder wrote:

I was doing pretty well with three employees, and decided it was time to go up to four. I had a bit of an unlucky string after that, and with the extra salary of the fourth person it looked like trouble. I had to take out a $630 million loan to tide me over until the sales of my last game started coming in.

Model City 2. City/Simulation. 10. 10. 10. 10. $37 million in profits. Oh yeah! That's more than 10 times more than any of my previous games in any playthrough (and my first perfect game)! Now we are talking.

Wait, $630 million loan? That can't be right.

Er... $630k.

Hey, look at that! The Steam version of the game has added trading cards!!
Good excuse to dive back in, right?

Eleima wrote:

Hey, look at that! The Steam version of the game has added trading cards!!
Good excuse to dive back in, right? ;)

Certainly is!