GWJ-ATX 2013: Third Monday Movies

Wouldn't mind catching the new Tom Cruise flick, whatever it's called. Or Looper, if that's still in theatres.

Can you tell I spend more time playing games than watching movies?

I am in for monthly movie night.

You guys are going to make this super far north right? Because I am lazy and probably won't drive up there.

Maybe we can split the difference and do Alamo on Anderson or something?

Maybe we can beat the lazy out of Boogle?

MyBrainHz wrote:

Wouldn't mind catching the new Tom Cruise flick, whatever it's called. Or Looper, if that's still in theatres.

Can you tell I spend more time playing games than watching movies? :D

I've seen Looper already, but Jack Reacher looks good enough. Looking at the current Top Box Office list, Django Unchained rates pretty well, as does Zero Dark Thirty and Killing Them Softly. Also note that Gangster Squad is opening on the 11th, and Arnie returns in The Last Stand on the 18th. More upcoming releases can be found at ComingSoon.net.

As long as I haven't seen it before, I'm down for just about anything so nominations are open and discussion is welcome.

boogle wrote:

You guys are going to make this super far north right? Because I am lazy and probably won't drive up there.

Not necessarily. Like I said, it depends on who's coming. Of course, so far I'm seeing 1 Pflugerville, 3 Brushy Creek, and you.

Oooh Django Unchained! Forgot about that. Love me some Tarantino.

That said, if it's in theaters now I almost certainly haven't seen it, so my input shouldn't count for much.

I am super on board for Django Unchained. Zero Dark Thirty a solid second choice.

Grumpicus wrote:
boogle wrote:

You guys are going to make this super far north right? Because I am lazy and probably won't drive up there.

Not necessarily. Like I said, it depends on who's coming. Of course, so far I'm seeing 1 Pflugerville, 3 Brushy Creek, and you. ;-)

Yeah, boogle, use some math and somma them barycenters and sh*t to find an equidistant theater.

Bonus_Eruptus wrote:

barycenters

What is this word?
*EDIT*
And Killing Them Softly was super preachy.

Center of mass! Math jerks never get around to applying anything, it's all abstract concepts and integration of complex sets and XKCD and blibbedy-blah.

Ok fine, it doesn't have to be the barycenter; the centroid will do.

I know centroids, I used them at work once!

boogle wrote:

I know centroids, I used them at work once!

Was it today, after you found out what they were?

And like that, the GWJ Austin meetup thread becomes the Demand Smack-Talk Thread.

*Legion* wrote:

And like that, the GWJ Austin meetup thread becomes the Demand Smack-Talk Thread.

We have always been at war with Eurasia.

Last call for nominees and commentary, pro or con. I'll post my choice tonight.

Also, if anyone is joining us and hasn't posted yet, speak up quickly and let me know you're location so I can try to be geographically accommodating.

Hmm. It seems that the Village Drafthouse will be closed next Monday so with apologies to the more southerly folks, it's looking like we'll be at Flix or Lake Creek this month.

For those who think I'm biased, at 6pm I'll be on South Congress, so getting up north with a deadline is actually a bit... trying.

Currently, the 7:15pm of Zero Dark Thirty at the Drafthouse or the 6:45 Django at Flix are the most likely candidates, but I'm still waiting for Arnold's new movie to show up on the schedule. It seems like the kind of show that won't make me think too hard.

Anyway, if you're coming, plan on being at either Lake Creek Drafthouse or Flix on Monday night between 7 and 8. If The Last Stand isn't on the schedule by this Thursday night, I'll just pull the trigger on one of the other two.

Grumpicus wrote:

Hmm. It seems that the Village Drafthouse will be closed next Monday so with apologies to the more southerly folks, it's looking like we'll be at Flix or Lake Creek this month.

For those who think I'm biased, at 6pm I'll be on South Congress, so getting up north with a deadline is actually a bit... trying.

Currently, the 7:15pm of Zero Dark Thirty at the Drafthouse or the 6:45 Django at Flix are the most likely candidates, but I'm still waiting for Arnold's new movie to show up on the schedule. It seems like the kind of show that won't make me think too hard.

Anyway, if you're coming, plan on being at either Lake Creek Drafthouse or Flix on Monday night between 7 and 8. If The Last Stand isn't on the schedule by this Thursday night, I'll just pull the trigger on one of the other two.

I thought we had next Monday off for MLK day for some reason.

Well I've called an audible.

I just learned about a new movie theater in West Austin and bought my ticket for the 7:30 pm showing of The Last Stand at the Galaxy Moviehouse & Eatery. It's not dine-in (it's DFX!), so I'll be grabbing something on the way. I know it's a little more out-of-the-way than some of you were planning... but on the flip side, it's a bit less far for any who might be coming from a more southerly direction.

I'll be leaving the office (downtown) at 6 and will arrive however long after that it takes. Google says 30 minutes with no traffic. Hope to see some of you there.

P.S. February's movie will almost certainly be A Good Day to Die Hard.

Grumpicus wrote:

the 7:30 pm showing of The Last Stand
(...)
P.S. February's movie will almost certainly be A Good Day to Die Hard.

We may have to have another movie night where we watch the movies that get green Metacritic scores.

I'll be there.

Ticket bought, see y'all there

*Legion* wrote:

We may have to have another movie night where we watch the movies that get green Metacritic scores. :)

The Film Critic movie night is on Tuesdays. GWJ movie night picks movies based on the "explosions per minute" metric.

Seriously, though, I like dramas but I generally don't bother paying movie theater prices to see them. Action, fantasy, and sci-fi, on the other hand, are better on the big screen. IMO.

The wife told me that she was taking the kids to a friend's house for dinner and hence, they wouldn't be here when I arrived... so I took the long way home and scoped out the theater. A couple notes:

* From downtown (for Boogle, Bonus_Eruptus, Kannon, etc.), it took me about 40-45 minutes (I can't be exact b/c I had to stop for gas) leaving at 6:20. MoPac was as annoying as ever but 2222 moved pretty well.
* 2222 in the dark is not for the faint of heart. If this is your first time driving it, I recommend adding a couple more minutes.
* There's not too much in the same parking lot as the theater. I saw Whataburger, Schlotsky's, Chicken Express, and Freddy's.
* There's a medium-sized bar in the lobby where you can order off the menu. It's not great but it doesn't look bad, either. Depending on if I get out of the office quickly enough on Monday, I intend to eat there... but if I'm running late, it'll probably just be Whataburger.
* Reminder: About half of this place's theaters are dine-in (like Drafthouse and Flix) but not the DFX one. I'm still excited about a three-story tall screen but I don't think I'll be doing any subsequent movie nights without the dine-in option. Don't forget that there won't be food _during_ the movie.
* For *Legion*, MyBrainHz, and anyone else coming across 620, it took me about 20 minutes to get home, leaving there at 7:20. Traffic heading west didn't look too bad but I still wouldn't leave any later than 6:45 (e.g. if you're eating at home before coming).

Like I said, I'm going to try to get there early enough on Monday so that I can eat in the lobby bar and, by extension, provide a gathering point. As of right now, I only know of *Legion* and MyBrainHz as confirmed attendees. If you're coming, please post. Also, if you're coming, please be there no later than 7:15... though earlier is better than late(r).

Grumpicus wrote:

The wife told me that she was taking the kids to a friend's house for dinner and hence, they wouldn't be here when I arrived... so I took the long way home and scoped out the theater. A couple notes:

* From downtown (for Boogle, Bonus_Eruptus, Kannon, etc.), it took me about 40-45 minutes (I can't be exact b/c I had to stop for gas) leaving at 6:20. MoPac was as annoying as ever but 2222 moved pretty well.
* 2222 in the dark is not for the faint of heart. If this is your first time driving it, I recommend adding a couple more minutes.
* There's not too much in the same parking lot as the theater. I saw Whataburger, Schlotsky's, Chicken Express, and Freddy's.
* There's a medium-sized bar in the lobby where you can order off the menu. It's not great but it doesn't look bad, either. Depending on if I get out of the office quickly enough on Monday, I intend to eat there... but if I'm running late, it'll probably just be Whataburger.
* Reminder: About half of this place's theaters are dine-in (like Drafthouse and Flix) but not the DFX one. I'm still excited about a three-story tall screen but I don't think I'll be doing any subsequent movie nights without the dine-in option. Don't forget that there won't be food _during_ the movie.
* For *Legion*, MyBrainHz, and anyone else coming across 620, it took me about 20 minutes to get home, leaving there at 7:20. Traffic heading west didn't look too bad but I still wouldn't leave any later than 6:45 (e.g. if you're eating at home before coming).

Like I said, I'm going to try to get there early enough on Monday so that I can eat in the lobby bar and, by extension, provide a gathering point. As of right now, I only know of *Legion* and MyBrainHz as confirmed attendees. If you're coming, please post. Also, if you're coming, please be there no later than 7:15... though earlier is better than late(r). ;)

I'll be there.

I've had enough fun for one day. Hopefully leaving here in the next 15 minutes. ETA at GM&E, 6:30.

Man, MoPac was nearly deserted. See what happens when the government employees get the day off?

Ok, that wasn't good but it was fun! I like this summary from Rotten Tomatoes: "There's nothing particularly distinguished about it, but for Schwarzenegger fans The Last Stand provides perfectly undemanding entertainment." (Emphasis mine.) Yep.

The DFX screen was indeed huge but it wasn't really all that much better (just bigger), so we almost certainly won't find ourselves back out at that location given how out-of-the-way it is for most. Still, you never know until you try. Thanks *Legion*, Bonus_Eruptus, and MyBrainHz for coming out.

Next month we'll do our voting like the football polls. Rank your top 3-5; #1 gets 5 points, #2 gets 4 points, etc.; and the one with the highest total wins. Polls open on 2/4 and close on 2/12. Here's what's coming out in February but, of course, anything that's still in the theater is eligible.

The best part was MyBrainHz losing his sh*t at the Semper Fi tattoo written in Papyrus.

I really wanted that Luis Guzman character to die, but no. I also wanted to see the Chevy Product Placement XLM-27 or whatever jump the hell out of that ravine like the Dukes of Hazzard - no luck there either.

Also, no oogaba. WTF, movie?