Feminism Catch-All (with FAQ)

And, of course, there's Taiwan's take on it.

Just popping in to say that a lot of us were watching the live feed of the filibuster and the ensuing chaos right to the end, and it was magnificent and stomach-churning and inspiring. Never seen anything like it. So glad to have been able to witness it.

Rubb Ed wrote:

And, of course, there's Taiwan's take on it.

Politics is f*****g awesome!

The thing was nearing midnight when I got up, checked my Twitter feed and took it all in, piecing the night's events together. It's incredibly inspiring and heartening to see that Sen. Davis pulled it off, that she had an incredible amount of support. I just hope that it gains momentum and that people flock to the polls when the time comes. It's so sad to see a low turnout on Election Day.

Also loved Taiwan's take on it, thanks for posting, Rubb Ed!

Shadout wrote:

What is going to stop a group of people who are determined enough, to repeat this every single time the law they oppose is coming up.

Stop electing them to Congress.

Maq wrote:

Stop electing them to Congress.

Now that would be lovely.
Voter behavior doesn't seem to work that way :/

Seriously Taiwan? That was...
awesome.

Here's your daily reminder that a woman's accomplishments will always be questioned just because she's a woman:

Kyle Petty says Danica Patrick is "not a race car driver".

The short version is Danica Patrick has had more success in 15 years than Petty had in 40. But if you want a longer breakdown of all the reasons why Petty must think Patrick is "not" a race car driver, read the very entertaining article.

Relatedly, if you're interested in women and racing, check out TrueCar Racing or #SteelOvaryNation. (And Rallye Baie des Chaleurs is this weekend, allez Nathalie Richard!)

I liked the grousing more when it was about her unfair advantage for weighing less than most NASCAR drivers. And then others stating that her slighter frame meant there was less down force on the wheels, and she would lack the grip to pass in the corners.

Also, drivers are going public with how off base Petty is and how much of a racer Ms. Patrick is.

KingGorilla wrote:

I liked the grousing more when it was about her unfair advantage for weighing less than most NASCAR drivers. And then others stating that her slighter frame meant there was less down force on the wheels, and she would lack the grip to pass in the corners.

That argument is made even dumber based on the fact that they must add weight to the car to compensate for a light driver. It's in the rules, and was before she ever raced.

If you've never understood why all rape victims don't "just report" the crime, Gina Tron captures the reasons well: http://www.vice.com/read/i-got-raped...

That is seriously depressing. It's horrible enough that most rapist get away scott free, but to walk away from the trial knowing he'll NEVER EVER get punished for his crimes... that's too much.

dejanzie wrote:

That is seriously depressing. It's horrible enough that most rapist get away scott free, but to walk away from the trial knowing he'll NEVER EVER get punished for his crimes... that's too much.

Trust me, it sucks most badly.

sh*t, I just realized I put this in the wrong thread. Sorry.

Troubling developments and shocking revelations from Texas: it turns out Wendy Davis once had different hair!

SpacePPoliceman wrote:

Troubling developments and shocking revelations from Texas: it turns out Wendy Davis once had different hair!

I love this quote:

Somehow, during the past two decades she has been transformed from a frumpy, pleasant looking but plain-faced, flat-chested brunette with thick, messy hair, into a buxom blonde with excellent facial features and sleek, long, perfectly coiffed hair, like she stepped straight out of Vogue.

So we see what's on their minds when they consider the merits of a person.

So google search has failed me unfortunately. Because yesterday I saw the most amazing and appropriate bumper sticker.

It was depicting the sexy sitting silhouette girl that is most often seen on truck mud flaps. The only difference was someone added the off hand to the silhouette and it was holding an open book.

Now if that isn't to the point in a simple and effective manner, I don't know what is.

Nevin wrote:

So we see what's on their minds when they consider the merits of a person.

I bet she smells different too!

fangblackbone wrote:

So google search has failed me unfortunately. Because yesterday I saw the most amazing and appropriate bumper sticker.

It was depicting the sexy sitting silhouette girl that is most often seen on truck mud flaps. The only difference was someone added the off hand to the silhouette and it was holding an open book.

Now if that isn't to the point in a simple and effective manner, I don't know what is.

Something like this?

http://www.cafepress.com/mf/21709671...

SpacePPoliceman wrote:

Troubling developments and shocking revelations from Texas: it turns out Wendy Davis once had different hair!

My wife and I recently looked over photos for my mom's upcoming memorial. Dear Christ I was a fat f*cking kid. I also managed to find some photos of my folks when they were dating, my dad with his scraggly 20 year old beard was most amusing.

In other news, a woman who knows a large part of her job is a beauty contest, makes sure her hair and make up look good. Mitt Romney fake tans, and the GOP still gives serious consideration that an air headed beauty queen from the mid west should be president. And Chris Christie is too damn generously proportioned to be taken seriously.

SpacePPoliceman wrote:

Troubling developments and shocking revelations from Texas: it turns out Wendy Davis once had different hair!

Someone should ask Gov. Chris Christie his opinion of Davis' makeover.

Something like this?

That's it! You sir, rock!

SpacePPoliceman wrote:

Troubling developments and shocking revelations from Texas: it turns out Wendy Davis once had different hair!

It's amazing how people who really don't like the concept of feminism are really the only ones who actually believe feminism has anything to do with someone's looks, but somehow manage to purport that it's apparently something core to the concept.

Bloo Driver wrote:
SpacePPoliceman wrote:

Troubling developments and shocking revelations from Texas: it turns out Wendy Davis once had different hair!

It's amazing how people who really don't like the concept of feminism are really the only ones who actually believe feminism has anything to do with someone's looks, but somehow manage to purport that it's apparently something core to the concept.

If you believe that feminism is about taking from men, and that women have no reason to want to upkeep their personal appearance other than pleasing men, then it all makes perfect sense!

Demyx wrote:
Bloo Driver wrote:
SpacePPoliceman wrote:

Troubling developments and shocking revelations from Texas: it turns out Wendy Davis once had different hair!

It's amazing how people who really don't like the concept of feminism are really the only ones who actually believe feminism has anything to do with someone's looks, but somehow manage to purport that it's apparently something core to the concept.

If you believe that feminism is about taking from men, and that women have no reason to want to upkeep their personal appearance other than pleasing men, then it all makes perfect sense!

Wait what? If she were a feminist, by that logic shouldn't she be rockin' a pair of dworkins instead?

Demyx wrote:

If you believe that feminism is about taking from men, and that women have no reason to want to upkeep their personal appearance other than pleasing men, then it all makes perfect sense!

Whoah, whoah, whoah. I'm gonna slow you down right there.

You're saying feminism isn't specifically about what is and isn't happening to men? Sounds like misandrist talk to me.

We all saw Twitter's charming response to French player Marion Bartoli's Wimbledon finals win? Even the BBC commentator saw fit to comment on her looks.

Now given that, in my opinion at least, she's not exactly harsh on the eyes, one can only assume the only purpose these people think female tennis champions have is to look hot in a short skirt and moan loudly. Heaven forfend you look like a normal person when competing in the finals at one of the most prestigious sporting events in the world.

I guess you, sadly, can find moronic people on the internet representing any possible viewpoint. But damn that remark from BBC.

Had to look the BBC guy up, it seems like he has tried to excuse, but in my ears this sounds as bad:

Inverdale has since tried to defend his comments, claiming: ‘She [Bartoli] is an incredible role model for people who aren’t born with all the attributes of natural athletes.’

Role model for "ugly" athletes (tm)? Right. Apparently Natural athletes look like dolls.
One could be a role model if you won Wimbledon with one arm or something, proving you can win despite the odds if you fight hard etc. etc.. Having a hard time to see how being a 'role model' fits here.

Don't worry the Huffington Post has come to the rescue! Apparently she was pretty all along so now we can all rest easy and no offence or ridiculous double standards are in operation afterall;

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...

Maq wrote:

We all saw Twitter's charming response

Holy crap, those are horrific!

Shadout wrote:

I guess you, sadly, can find moronic people on the internet representing any possible viewpoint.

The difference being you don't have to look very hard at all to find all those responses on Twitter but comments about Andy Murray's absence of good looks are far harder to come by unless in direct comparison to his partner.

I know you weren't defending them, Shadout, so this isn't a pop at you, but I don't really buy the whole "well... internets" explanation for these things. People will say horrific things, yes, but fewer people will say them if society as a whole doesn't stand for them being said.