Post a news story, entertain me!

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/r2p9o.jpg)

Wow, that's taking "if you see something, say something" to a ridiculous level!

ETA: Pole Dancing for Jesus!

Whoopsie.

The amazing thing is, they didn't learn their lesson from 2011. Or 2004.

I did quite a bit of research into those sorts of craft for a college project and they definitely show a lot of promise for some applications. They eliminate the two largest weaknesses of a typical airship, slow in the air and dangerous and unstable on the ground. (Depending on the particular craft only 60-80% of the weight is counteracted by the helium, so they are still quite heavy and not as prone to bring blown around on landing).

Miashara wrote:

I need a new job.

I wouldn't mind picking up a used car out of that program.

From the Department of Media Companies Still Don't Get It:

HBO Inks Exclusive, 10-Year Deal With Universal To Keep Content Out Of Netflix’s Hands

HBO now has exclusive streaming rights to both Universal and 20th Century Fox movies for the next 10 years. Dumb, Universal and Fox. Dumb.

Why is this a bad thing? If it is OK for Netflix to score exclusive rights to digital streaming of movies like they got with Disney, should it not be OK for HBO to do the same thing? ( Note, I assume that HBO's content streaming is similar on par to that of Netflix's, at least where it is available. )

The problem with them signing exclusively with HBO is that HBO is only available to HBO subscribers. And HBO subscribers have to also be cable subscribers. That's a lot of money a month.

I think it was a dumb move because, in 10 years, cable and general TV subscriptions will most likely be in sharp decline.

However, perhaps this is a sign that HBO will start working on an independent streaming service? That would be great. I'd happily subscribe to that and Netflix.

Horror! Microsoft Silicon Valley offices raided

but...wait, it's OK! only iPads stolen!

The thieves made away with five iPads worth more than $3,000 (£1,865) from Microsoft's research and development centre in Mountain View, California, over Christmas.

Microsoft's flagship collection of smartphones and tablet computers remained untouched in the raid, according to Mountain View police who spoke to The Register.

Spoiler:

(ok so they *might* have been after whatever they were working on rather than the iPads themselves...but still...)

oilypenguin wrote:

The problem with them signing exclusively with HBO is that HBO is only available to HBO subscribers. And HBO subscribers have to also be cable subscribers. That's a lot of money a month.

I think it was a dumb move because, in 10 years, cable and general TV subscriptions will most likely be in sharp decline.

However, perhaps this is a sign that HBO will start working on an independent streaming service? That would be great. I'd happily subscribe to that and Netflix.

Technologically HBO has their own streaming service, HBOGO works well, I haven't had problems with watching episodes online rather than on my tv. I have no idea whether you can purchase a subscription there separately from a cable package, you could try poking around and seeing.

Yonder wrote:
oilypenguin wrote:

The problem with them signing exclusively with HBO is that HBO is only available to HBO subscribers. And HBO subscribers have to also be cable subscribers. That's a lot of money a month.

I think it was a dumb move because, in 10 years, cable and general TV subscriptions will most likely be in sharp decline.

However, perhaps this is a sign that HBO will start working on an independent streaming service? That would be great. I'd happily subscribe to that and Netflix.

Technologically HBO has their own streaming service, HBOGO works well, I haven't had problems with watching episodes online rather than on my tv. I have no idea whether you can purchase a subscription there separately from a cable package, you could try poking around and seeing.

You can only get HBOGo if you are also subscribed to HBO via cable/satellite. You can't get it separately.

And only if your cable subscriber is on board with them. For a long while, our subscriber (Time-Warner) was not, so we could not use HBOGO.

Now accepting applications for Mars colonists.

One catch. It's going to be a one-way trip.

tanstaafl wrote:

Now accepting applications for Mars colonists.

One catch. It's going to be a one-way trip.

That gives new meaning to "good bye, cruel world."

And creates the new phrase: "hello, crueler world."

MeatMan wrote:
tanstaafl wrote:

Now accepting applications for Mars colonists.

One catch. It's going to be a one-way trip.

That gives new meaning to "good bye, cruel world."

And creates the new phrase: "hello, crueler world."

Can we all agree now to send the cast of Jersey Shore? Even better, send them without food. That would provide a ton of entertainment.

The nation's capital is the nation's porn watching capital.

What else did you think we did here? Govern the country?

Loaded revolutionary era cannon found in Central Park Shed.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/...

Edwin wrote:

Loaded revolutionary era cannon found in Central Park Shed.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/...

NYPD's not exactly right about 'silencing British canon in 1776' - the British controlled New York City for almost all of the Revolutionary War.

Some people forget the war didn't end in 1776.

The parts that puzzle me:

Where was she going with this vehicle? Did she imagine that it was going to be hard to track her down?
How was she going to fence it? Is there a train underground market that I'm not aware of?

LarryC wrote:

The parts that puzzle me:

Where was she going with this vehicle? Did she imagine that it was going to be hard to track her down?
How was she going to fence it? Is there a train underground market that I'm not aware of?

She probably just wanted to take it for a spin and then return it, like valets supposedly do with fancy cars...