Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U & 3DS) Catch-All

Tic tac toe is the worst. It's impossible to win if two people know what they're doing!

One other nice thing about the Tritton Kunai headphones - being that the microphone detaches and the sound quality is pretty good, they can serve as decent noise-dampening general purpose head phones. Useful on nights like tonight when the neighbors play their awful music loud for 4 hours straight.

gamerparent wrote:

I think it will be great to chat with all of you while hunting, because you're all upstanding individuals. And I mean that.

ianunderhill and I played helluv Syndicate together. It's an amazing game, but I think a non-zero percent of the fun was yelling into our mics during the tough bits and falling apart into laughter as we got sent back to the checkpoint.

Great! We'll have a blast laughing when I cart... I'm sure of it.

New trailer. Finally, a good trailer.

Honestly, my dream would be to get to my "Choose your tag" post by only posting in this one thread. Think that's possible?

Anyway, what do you all think of this new trailer? I think it really captures the excitement of MH. It's something I could see really hooking someone new to the series.

I liked how they edited the cutting of the tail, and even how they included the miss on the head. It's like they're saying, "Hey, sometimes you do actually miss, this game is somewhat challenging".

I've always been put off by MH trailers... not that there's anything wrong with them quality-wise, but seeing a monster for the first time in-game is always a very stirring moment. Having it spoiled amid split-second cuts seems like a shame.

Now, they mostly stuck with monsters from Tri (or variants thereof) in that particular trailer, which I appreciate. Truth told, I didn't notice the tail/whiff part with Barioth the first time, but you're right. The Jhen Moran jump was a nice touch, as was the variety of monsters shown.

I dunno, I'm not really the target audience for a trailer.

gamerparent wrote:

Anyway, what do you all think of this new trailer?

It made me really, really excited for the game I pre-ordered, and it also made me want to buy the 3DS I can't afford. I'd say that's indicative of a pretty good trailer. I may be gullible, though.

ianunderhill wrote:
gamerparent wrote:

Anyway, what do you all think of this new trailer?

It made me really, really excited for the game I pre-ordered, and it also made me want to buy the 3DS I can't afford. I'd say that's indicative of a pretty good trailer. I may be gullible, though.

Don't get a 3DS yet... wait til Monster Hunter 4!

gamerparent wrote:
ianunderhill wrote:
gamerparent wrote:

Anyway, what do you all think of this new trailer?

It made me really, really excited for the game I pre-ordered, and it also made me want to buy the 3DS I can't afford. I'd say that's indicative of a pretty good trailer. I may be gullible, though.

Don't get a 3DS yet... wait til Monster Hunter 4! :)

Don't listen to this man. Get a 3DS and have plenty to play until Monster Hunter 4 releases!

ClockworkHouse wrote:
gamerparent wrote:
ianunderhill wrote:
gamerparent wrote:

Anyway, what do you all think of this new trailer?

It made me really, really excited for the game I pre-ordered, and it also made me want to buy the 3DS I can't afford. I'd say that's indicative of a pretty good trailer. I may be gullible, though.

Don't get a 3DS yet... wait til Monster Hunter 4! :)

Don't listen to this man. Get a 3DS and have plenty to play until Monster Hunter 4 releases!

Great video. I miss the 80's.

Here's the opening cinematic, gang:

It's gorgeous. I actually have only watched the first 5 seconds, because I want to experience it on my TV for the first time while playing the game, so I can watch it in reverential rapt attention. It's not the same as the one in Tri, which always blew my mind, so I'm looking forward to seeing it next week!

Yep, I'm a die hard.

ClockworkHouse wrote:
gamerparent wrote:
ianunderhill wrote:
gamerparent wrote:

Anyway, what do you all think of this new trailer?

It made me really, really excited for the game I pre-ordered, and it also made me want to buy the 3DS I can't afford. I'd say that's indicative of a pretty good trailer. I may be gullible, though.

Don't get a 3DS yet... wait til Monster Hunter 4! :)

Don't listen to this man. Get a 3DS and have plenty to play until Monster Hunter 4 releases!

Wait for the specially themed Monster Hunter 4 3DS with 2 analog sticks built in!

Actually, I'm pretty keen on that Pikachu one that's almost for certain coming out in NA. Need. to free up. some funds...

Work's been more frustrating this week specifically because I'm anxious for the three new Wii U titles next week. I am absolutely chomping at the bit to start making my hunter into a monster to make the real ones jealous.

gamerparent wrote:

Wait for the specially themed Monster Hunter 4 3DS with 2 analog sticks built in! ;)

Not going to happen.

Actually, I'm pretty keen on that Pikachu one that's almost for certain coming out in NA. Need. to free up. some funds...

Going to happen. It'll be $200 and available on March 24th alongside Pokémon Mystery Dungeon.

I tried the demo on both the 3DS and the WiiU. If I was able to go online with the 3DS version, I would probably jump in on this just to have another game to play on the system. The WiiU version really just seems like an higher resolution version of the same game. They didn't take the time to use the second stick properly since it basically just a dpad mapped onto an analog stick (no gradient in the movement). Why is the start button used for some attacks? There's a list of things that I just found to be a little weird with the WiiU version that are simply not present in the 3DS version.

My main issue though, and keep in mind this is coming from a first time player of the series, is the clumsy feel to the movement and combat in general. I understand specific purpose to movement as it relates to combat. I have too much time into dark souls to think otherwise. But I just felt like I was chasing the rabbit thing across the area more than I was actually attempting to kill it.

What am I missing here? I would love to be enabled on this.

lancejt wrote:

I tried the demo on both the 3DS and the WiiU. If I was able to go online with the 3DS version, I would probably jump in on this just to have another game to play on the system. The WiiU version really just seems like an higher resolution version of the same game. They didn't take the time to use the second stick properly since it basically just a dpad mapped onto an analog stick (no gradient in the movement). Why is the start button used for some attacks? There's a list of things that I just found to be a little weird with the WiiU version that are simply not present in the 3DS version.

Coming from playing Tri on the Wii a ton, I noticed that the camera control with the right stick to be a bit faster when using the Gamepad as the controller, but better when I used the Classic Controller Pro. Not sure if that will be something that will be adjusted in the game vs. the demo. The start button is only used for kicks, which is a non-core combat move. You kick your teammates to free them from blobs of ice, or whatnot. It does very minimal damage.

My main issue though, and keep in mind this is coming from a first time player of the series, is the clumsy feel to the movement and combat in general. I understand specific purpose to movement as it relates to combat. I have too much time into dark souls to think otherwise. But I just felt like I was chasing the rabbit thing across the area more than I was actually attempting to kill it.

What am I missing here? I would love to be enabled on this.

It does feel clumsy at first, until you get the hang of things. Different weapons also have different rates of attack speed in their animations and recovery. You will also move more quickly with your weapon sheathed. If you're starting out, maybe try sword and shield, dual swords, or hammer for the most mobility. Get familiar with one weapon and all its different attack possibilities. Learn to dodge roll. Put your weapon away if you need to run away! And you can run faster if you hold down the right shoulder button.

If a monster is getting away from you, there are two things you can do. First is to watch its movement pattern. After a while you can kind of guess where it's going to be going next, or what attack it will do, and where it will end up when it's finished it's move. Skate to where the puck will be.

Second is to immobilize the monster so you can more easily get off your attacks. You can stun the monster with flash bombs, you can set a trap for the monster to fall into, you could use a weapon with paralysis effects to momentarily paralyze the monster in place. I think the dual swords in the demo have paralysis effect, if I remember correctly. Also in the demo you only have a short 20 minute window in which to kill the monster, but this is not indicative of the main game, where you usually have much more time, depending on the quest.

In fact, the main game has much more free roaming time built into it, and of course the multiplayer aspect, where the game really shines. 4 hunters working together and taking down a huge beast... nothing else like it. (I am getting the Wii U version for this reason, online)

Hope that helps. Always happy to have more hunters!

Yeah, go back to Lobster Mobster's comment a page or two back. It's not (just) a game about fighting and killing monsters, it's a hunting game too, and part of the hunting is sometimes being able to catch your prey. If you know what kinds of areas the monster tends to prefer (whether caves or snowy areas or whatever), you can often set up shop there and catch them when they come in. Kind of like hunting.

NOTE: Assuming they wouldn't change something like this. I played hundreds of hours of MHF2 and MHFU, but have been on more or less blackout for MH3* games, a combination of not picking it up for Wii, and then when finding out that it was finally coming to 3DS, deciding not to spoil myself on it.

gamerparent wrote:

Skate to where the puck will be.

I didn't have to check your location, but I still did.

I think I'm going to wait on this one. I just can't reason buying a WiiU at $400 to play one game. It's just not in my budget right now.

S0LIDARITY wrote:
gamerparent wrote:

Skate to where the puck will be.

I didn't have to check your location, but I still did.

I think I'm going to wait on this one. I just can't reason buying a WiiU at $400 to play one game. It's just not in my budget right now.

It's still a heck of a selling point that like 4 people in this thread have considered it just for this game. I know I have.

S0LIDARITY wrote:

I think I'm going to wait on this one. I just can't reason buying a WiiU at $400 to play one game. It's just not in my budget right now.

So just buy a 3DS (XL) for the game, now you are only talking $240 or so.

drdoak wrote:
S0LIDARITY wrote:
gamerparent wrote:

Skate to where the puck will be.

I didn't have to check your location, but I still did.

I think I'm going to wait on this one. I just can't reason buying a WiiU at $400 to play one game. It's just not in my budget right now.

It's still a heck of a selling point that like 4 people in this thread have considered it just for this game. I know I have.

My good friend (and hunting partner) and I are currently in the grip of this very issue. There aren't really any other current or upcoming WiiU games that we're dying to have... but if we can each find the money and obtain our respective spousal permissions, we're seriously considering buying WiiUs just for MH3U. We live several hours from each other, so the 3DS route is a no-go for us.

The hunt must go on!!

Atras wrote:
S0LIDARITY wrote:

I think I'm going to wait on this one. I just can't reason buying a WiiU at $400 to play one game. It's just not in my budget right now.

So just buy a 3DS (XL) for the game, now you are only talking $240 or so.

I would want to play online though.

BunbyHeri wrote:
drdoak wrote:
S0LIDARITY wrote:
gamerparent wrote:

Skate to where the puck will be.

I didn't have to check your location, but I still did.

I think I'm going to wait on this one. I just can't reason buying a WiiU at $400 to play one game. It's just not in my budget right now.

It's still a heck of a selling point that like 4 people in this thread have considered it just for this game. I know I have.

My good friend (and hunting partner) and I are currently in the grip of this very issue. There aren't really any other current or upcoming WiiU games that we're dying to have... but if we can each find the money and obtain our respective spousal permissions, we're seriously considering buying WiiUs just for MH3U. We live several hours from each other, so the 3DS route is a no-go for us.

The hunt must go on!! :D

I want to enable all of you, honestly I do. GO for it!

Nothing down the pipe is interesting to you? Bayonetta 2? Pikmin 3? LEGO City Undercover? Legend of Zelda Windwaker HD remake?

@gamerparent, sadly no. I honestly stopped looking ahead to future releases in the Fall when I got too busy and too backlogged. A new Super Smash Bros could be the best candidate to crack my wallet at some point. A new Zelda might get me there eventually but I was very disappointed with Skyward Sword. MH3U is a good candidate, but I don't have any friends rushing out for it so I'm content to wait.

S0LIDARITY wrote:

MH3U is a good candidate, but I don't have any friends rushing out for it so I'm content to wait.

What about... us?

Three more sleeps.

So, who's up for organizing some hunting parties? Anyone want to get together on Tuesday night? I know it's just the first night and we'll probably only be gathering stuff and hunting Great Jaggi at best, but I'd love to organize something.

I'm thinking after 9PM EST till about midnight?

EDIT: I'm also using the teamworkcast hunting party website, but since the GWJ MH3U community is not too numerous (yet) I'm thinking that just using this thread would be enough? What are your thoughts, I don't want to clutter up this thread with a ton of "I'm hunting now" type posts, but maybe it's alright to organize some kind of weekly hunt?

ianunderhill and I were planning to hunt for a bit Friday (3/22) night. Gives him a little time to get his feet wet, as it's his first MH game. I'm thinking of cutting out of work early to get some time in with the village play, so theoretically I should be prepared for a little run at night. I don't want to speak for ian though.

I wouldn't worry about cluttering up the thread, that's what we make 'em for. Also, there should be less of that than in the MHTri thread because the Wii U has actual friend lists and stuff.

I'm all for a weekly hunting night.

I'll have to let you guys know about Tuesday. I have to remain non-commital about the early part of the week until I know what's up with my treatment/Medicaid stuff/how much running around I might have to do to get it sorted if it's still messed up.

Yeah, I know. You're as sorry as I am.