Non-Game iPhone Apps Catch-All

Well, it's still free.

Business Card Reader works great for me, the OCR is good (including recognition of the card fields) and fast and it allows you to keep both contacts and the photo of the card (might be handy for the hand-written data). It's on sale for 99 cents instead of five bucks right now. I'm afraid that the couple of hundreds of card photos might clog my iPhone but my business card pile is definitely a mess that needs to get organized.

EDIT: It also has LinkedIn support, but I don't use it.

Can anyone recommend a chat/text app that will work on an iphone and blackberry, internationally? My girlfriend is in Moscow and we're looking for a way to keep in touch

mindset.threat wrote:

Can anyone recommend a chat/text app that will work on an iphone and blackberry, internationally? My girlfriend is in Moscow and we're looking for a way to keep in touch

WhatsApp.

mindset.threat wrote:

Can anyone recommend a chat/text app that will work on an iphone and blackberry, internationally? My girlfriend is in Moscow and we're looking for a way to keep in touch

Twitter DMs?

AIM or Yahoo! chat? All of the major IM services have an app, as far as I know, and there are several multi-function chat apps that allow you to log into all of these systems at once (like FRING).

Maybe this?

http://www.whatsapp.com/

I use Beejive on my iPhone.

Thanks guys. I think we'll go with Whatsapp

Just snagged a great RDP app for free, it's called 2X and has been working wonderfully for managing the Win 2008 servers I need to check on every so often. I grabbed the iPad version and couldn't be happier.

Air Music turns your device into a DLNA server. It's free today only.

Well I'm the proud (and maybe somewhat reluctant) owner of a vehicle. Does anyone have any experience with mileage/maintenance apps? Seem to be a fair number out there but now I'm overwhelmed by choice.

Anyone know of a third-party movie viewer that has a graphical interface similar to the default picture/mov viewer that you scroll through graphically? It's for my two year-old.

Just saw this thread, thought I would throw some apps into the mix.

I've been using Downcast for my podcasts. Love it. Been highly reviewed by TWIT, etc. Does streaming, downloads, etc.

Also been using Waze recently for GPS/traffic stuff. I didn't buy into the social aspect of it much, but it's saved me from some bad traffic jams a couple times and it's not in high usage in my area.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

Anyone know of a third-party movie viewer that has a graphical interface similar to the default picture/mov viewer that you scroll through graphically? It's for my two year-old.

Anyone?

And thanks for the recommendations, BadMojo - I've been wanting a good app for podcasts. I'm downloading Downcast now.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

BadMojo - I've been wanting a good app for podcasts. I'm downloading Downcast now. :)

I use it like I used my TiVo. I get a bunch of subscriptions, I have it keep the last 5 un-listened, and then I set up playlists (like channels). So, it basically lets me keep a nice cache of casts to listen to at any time and I don't have to wonder if I have the latest ones. I just have them download over the air. Like butter.

Seems like you can't download individual episodes without subscribing first; that's a little annoying. The Settings area could use something that says "Never Stream". I only want to download.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

Seems like you can't download individual episodes without subscribing first; that's a little annoying. The Settings area could use something that says "Never Stream". I only want to download.

Under settings, there is a "Playable Downloads" option. When it's ON, streaming is possible. Just turn that off.

Downcast looks pretty good, thanks for the recommendation - I was using RSSRadio before, but it was annoyingly buggy.

FX Photo Studio on sale for 99ct
IMAGE(http://a4.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/112/Purple/e6/a6/b3/mzl.vxmdtwek.320x480-75.jpg)

Arise thread!!

My wife and I are heading out to Florida next weekend, and I am looking for a decent airport app that will show us where the various gates in the terminals are. We are traveling with our daughters (4 and 7), so we would like to be able to figure out where they are without having to look on a map at the airport.

mudbunny wrote:

Arise thread!!

My wife and I are heading out to Florida next weekend, and I am looking for a decent airport app that will show us where the various gates in the terminals are. We are traveling with our daughters (4 and 7), so we would like to be able to figure out where they are without having to look on a map at the airport.

I find TripIt and FlightTrack to be indispensable. TripIt requires a bit of work. Basically you email flight itineraries to an email address once you have an account setup you can get information on the flight including the arrival gate, gate changes, etc. FlightTrack is similarly useful.

Does anyone know of an app that somehow makes PDFs easily readable on an iPhone? Seems like if I understand PDFs, you can't do any reformatting of the page to make the text fit the iPhone screen. It's either too small to read, or you have to zoom and then pan around like a mother.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

Does anyone know of an app that somehow makes PDFs easily readable on an iPhone? Seems like if I understand PDFs, you can't do any reformatting of the page to make the text fit the iPhone screen. It's either too small to read, or you have to zoom and then pan around like a mother.

GoodReader is surprisingly good, given that you have a good PDF of course (text-based etc.). You can set the margins, so the app only shows the text and it can even reflow the text - render only text and reformat it. I have read several PDF books on it with no problems.

Reformatting the text is exactly what I'm looking for. I will check GoodReader out - I've heard lots of good things. Thanks!

+1 for GoodReader.

If you want quality, clean text writing, iA Writer is available on both iPhone and iPad for 99 cents. It is a writing-focused tool, and thus far, it's been a delight.

My iPhone is underway (4s) as my Android thingy didn't like the salt water.
Noticed this thread being dead for quite a bit. So arise! (again)

Is there anyway to see all the apps I've paid for in iTunes. Just like Steam?
I am afraid I can't, but asking in case I have missed an option.

Sparhawk wrote:

My iPhone is underway (4s) as my Android thingy didn't like the salt water.
Noticed this thread being dead for quite a bit. So arise! (again)

Is there anyway to see all the apps I've paid for in iTunes. Just like Steam?
I am afraid I can't, but asking in case I have missed an option.

Once you have your iPhone attached to your iTunes account, you can see all the apps you ever purchased (free or not) from the App Store app. Go to Upgrades, then Purchased.

BadMojo wrote:
Sparhawk wrote:

My iPhone is underway (4s) as my Android thingy didn't like the salt water.
Noticed this thread being dead for quite a bit. So arise! (again)

Is there anyway to see all the apps I've paid for in iTunes. Just like Steam?
I am afraid I can't, but asking in case I have missed an option.

Once you have your iPhone attached to your iTunes account, you can see all the apps you ever purchased (free or not) from the App Store app. Go to Upgrades, then Purchased.

Ah, that actually rings a bell! Thanks