Capcom - Remember Me - June 2013

Pages

This seems interesting

Announcing sci-fi thriller Remember Me for 360, PS3 and PC

Shortened blog post wrote:
Remember Me, a sleek action/adventure set in Neo Paris, 2084, and starring Nilin (seen above), who's a memory hunter on the run.

...this proposed future for humanity has basically done away with secrecy - memories can be bought and sold, and people can know anything about anyone for the right price. Nilin was the apparently one of the best at this, but somewhere along the line, wouldn't you know it, someone wiped her memory and now she's determined to figure out why.

Remember Me blends quick, acrobatic traversal with some equally nimble combat. However, one of the game's unique additions to the genre is the idea of "memory remixing,"

It's an interesting notion - to change the world, all you really have to do is change someone's mind. And in a world where that's alarmingly possible...


Gallery

Trailer left a lot to the imagination but that gameplay seals the deal. Damn. Looks like Ubisoft has some competition.

What!? Mothers give words and kisses but fathers give only DECEPTION!? This is the most sexist game ever.

Ahem.

So yeah, looks pretty slick.

I wonder if there are multiple ways to "solve" that puzzle, or if it has to go down like that.

Wow.

So ...Total Recall the game?

Just hope it's not another "Wet"...

Link to some amazing concept art:

http://kotaku.com/5934841/remember-m... (1920x1073)

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/OODw5.jpg?1)

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/cQPnU.jpg?1)

I like everything I've seen about this so far.

nel e nel wrote:
Link to some amazing concept art:

It was shown last year as "Adrift", so I guess it's had some revision since then. There's some more art there, and another video:

I have a vague memory of seeing some of those, perhaps linked off CGSociety.

Cyberpunk means I'm automatically super interested. For all the dumb things Capcom does, they have been pushing some really unique and different ideas lately.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:
For all the dumb things Capcom does

For all their shenanigans, they're not developing this just publishing, so it'll be interesting to see what, if any, influence they have. It seems like the kind of game that would be a self-contained singleplayer campaign, so not a lot of opportunity for DLCing it.

Am I the only one that was completely skeezed out by what she did to that guy? The concept looks awesome and beautifully implemented, but I don't know if I can cope with doing that, even in-game.

momgamer wrote:
Am I the only one that was completely skeezed out by what she did to that guy? The concept looks awesome and beautifully implemented, but I don't know if I can cope with doing that, even in-game.

I was just thinking that the game has a Ghost Trick kind of idea to it, only really twisted. I'm guessing this will come with a redemption story later but yeah, it's pretty screwed up.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:
momgamer wrote:
Am I the only one that was completely skeezed out by what she did to that guy? The concept looks awesome and beautifully implemented, but I don't know if I can cope with doing that, even in-game.
I was just thinking that the game has a Ghost Trick kind of idea to it, only really twisted. I'm guessing this will come with a redemption story later but yeah, it's pretty screwed up.

I think that's half the point, that it shows the inhuman things such imaginary tech would allow you to do. I find good sci-fi is never really about the tech, but the human reaction to it, in this case invading and altering someone's mind, something which right now we consider almost entirely private. The other side of that is the reaction "oh, that's a cool little puzzle in that game", and how people aren't shocked by it now.

I suppose there's a bit of a problem with your in-game character/avatar, and this issue is not exclusive to this game, in that they may have their own attitude which could differ from the player's. For example, presumably she was doing this before the game's story so she's if not comfortable, then familiar with that type of work. I guess as stories in games go, there need to be two defined types of player-character, the blank slate that you can see as 'you in that situation', and pre-written characters where you're just bringing them through the story, but you are not them.

With the background of her own memory being wiped/amnesia, I'm sure there's the explanation that she's being forced into it by 'the bad guy', which makes it 'okay'.

I kind of got the feeling that episode was early-on in the story, too—shortly after she wakes up with no memory and really doesn't know what's going on. There's a certain sense in how she talks to her handler that she's not really happy about this line of action, but she doesn't feel like she knows enough to refuse. And I did also feel like her body language expressed a certain amount of horror and regret after she was done and saw the results.

If that's done well, it could be quite good. The idea of a character changing from being a pawn to being a big-time player has always been very core to cyberpunk.

(And I agree about being totally ooked out by the scene.)

Trailer left me giddy; gameplay a bit more muted.

I want an option for French or at least French accents, since it IS supposed to be set in Paris.

AUs_TBirD wrote:
Trailer left me giddy; gameplay a bit more muted.

I want an option for French or at least French accents, since it IS supposed to be set in Paris.

The girl in the trailer definitely had a slight French accent, and the police commissioner had a German accent.

Binary Domain did a really good job of conveying the 'metro-ness' of the future where some folks spoke perfect english, some spoke english with various accents they had from their native language, and some only spoke Japanese.

By the way: I think the title "Remember Me" is awesome. I hope they don't decide to change it again and screw it up.

Hypatian wrote:
I kind of got the feeling that episode was early-on in the story, too—shortly after she wakes up with no memory and really doesn't know what's going on. There's a certain sense in how she talks to her handler that she's not really happy about this line of action, but she doesn't feel like she knows enough to refuse. And I did also feel like her body language expressed a certain amount of horror and regret after she was done and saw the results.

Thinking about that, and the character/player avatar aspect, one way I can see the character showing revulsion with what they're doing, but doing it anyway in a game, would be to have some 'remote control human' plot device, and you could 'turn it off' for sequences where the player doesn't control them such as cutscenes. How you would work that into a game without stretching believability further eludes me. It seems like one of those things the audience might have to go along with for a while yet.

nel e nel wrote:
AUs_TBirD wrote:
Trailer left me giddy; gameplay a bit more muted.

I want an option for French or at least French accents, since it IS supposed to be set in Paris.

The girl in the trailer definitely had a slight French accent, and the police commissioner had a German accent.

Binary Domain did a really good job of conveying the 'metro-ness' of the future where some folks spoke perfect english, some spoke english with various accents they had from their native language, and some only spoke Japanese.

I have to disagree - to my ears, the lead character is the "hot British woman" voice that an awful lot of female game (and a lot of movie) characters seem to have lately. The commish did have an accent, though I'm not sure if it was German.

Watched the trailer again and got goosebumps again.

Interview: http://www.computerandvideogames.com...

This answer makes puzzles sound like gates to get through rather than any big player choice thing. I think I'm okay with it being linear though, tell me a good story.

As a fan of the point and click adventures of yore, I'm really inspired by the possibilities in the memory remix sections. Are there multiple solutions to each puzzle? Can you alter the path of the storyline with your actions?

There's only one possible outcome and one solution to each puzzle, but it's worth keeping in mind that what you saw was a very simple concept illustration. when you sit down and play the game for real you'll find that the puzzles are far more complex and will require you to analyse the scene throughly before making a move. In the demo there are only six or seven points of interaction and later puzzles will have lots more, but that's still more than enough to lead the player down the wrong path. I think it's a lot of fun and really easy to understand once you get into it.

Scratched wrote:
Hypatian wrote:
I kind of got the feeling that episode was early-on in the story, too—shortly after she wakes up with no memory and really doesn't know what's going on. There's a certain sense in how she talks to her handler that she's not really happy about this line of action, but she doesn't feel like she knows enough to refuse. And I did also feel like her body language expressed a certain amount of horror and regret after she was done and saw the results.

Thinking about that, and the character/player avatar aspect, one way I can see the character showing revulsion with what they're doing, but doing it anyway in a game, would be to have some 'remote control human' plot device, and you could 'turn it off' for sequences where the player doesn't control them such as cutscenes. How you would work that into a game without stretching believability further eludes me. It seems like one of those things the audience might have to go along with for a while yet.

Ooh! Ooh!

Spoiler:
The game begins with you sitting in a dingy room scratching your head in a confused manner surrounded by four other people who are acting in exactly the same way. They don't know who they are or who you are... They don't know what they're doing there or what is going on. None of you do. You leave the building and start to try and piece together your past.

Then the agents come.

They are kind and concerned about your situation and take you into their care to try and use their services to recover your past. The next thing you know, you're back with your confused cohorts from your waking room. They are all prisoners, YOU are all prisoners, you soon discover. Not long after this, when they're subjecting you to a mind probe during which you black out, you realise that you are all in mortal danger and must escape.

Unfortunately, you are unable to help your friends(?) and you leave them to their fate whilst causing a distraction that allows you to get free. You head into the sewers (because it wouldn't be a game without sewers!) and give them the slip. You watch them searching further away frmo you and turn to head deeper into the sewer system. Your eyesight goes black again.

You awake, fully awake and standing on a ladder with your head out of a manhole to the sewers below in a deserted construction yard (game!). You have no idea how you got here or how long its been since you last remembered anything.

The game continues onward, with you gathering clues and an assortment of questionable allies. While you have perfect control most of the time, you sometimes slip unconscious and wake up in different locations, speaking to people and medical professionals about what you're going through but not remembering it. Other times you suffer from headaches and dizzy spells, making control of your body difficult. Sometimes, if you look closely at reflections during the dizzy spells you will see your face contorting into a mimicry of "The Scream", eyes rolling in their sockets, mouth working to squeeze some utterance of sound... but none is forthcoming.
A new organisation steps in to help you out. Uncertain allies in your time of greatest need, the Wings of Tartarus state their friendship but you get the feeling that there's definitely something in it for them that they're not sharing with you.

Finally, the truth is revealed to you. You are not you, you are remotely controlling this body... a body whose mind you were sent to erase or alter because those people had designed a defence against that particular atrocity against sentient consciousness and personality. This one, this body you inhabit, was the only one remaining and your mission would have been complete if only they hadn't activated the device before your work was done.

The attack was performed remotely through the Mirai national wireless network from a secret location known only to yourself for protection and deniability. Since the device hadn't been intended to stop an attack once started it had the unintended effect of linking your consciousness directly to that of the person you were attacking. Your uplink machine, a Mytheme, and whatever hardware you might have to facilitate such atrocities now appear to be permanently linked to this body. Unfortunately, your consciousness depends on having a wireless signal to the body and this is why, when there is low or no connectivity, you have trouble controlling it. This is also when the underlying, intact personality of the body comes to the fore - generating the facial agony and restless/alien limb syndrome.

Your memories/mind/real consciousness are still in your own body it's just that they are sealed off from the effect of the defences generated by the Mnemosyne, the device that was developed to restore and protect a mind.

Now, new threats hang over your existence. The agency that contracted your services, Aphaia, are looking for your real body's location as well as your surrogate body's location. Not only that but, at some point, your real body will expire from lack of sustenance...

You're in three races against time but only one person... or are you more than just the sum of your parts?

Title: Psychogeny

momgamer wrote:
Am I the only one that was completely skeezed out by what she did to that guy? The concept looks awesome and beautifully implemented, but I don't know if I can cope with doing that, even in-game.

Hand raised without hesitance, ma'am! : \ It's extremely messed up and it bothered the hell out of me. I'd almost rather eat a plate of lasagna while watching the Cronenberg version of The Fly.

On the other hand, provoking actions by altering memories is an extremely neat device. If this mechanic is a major component of gameplay, it could be very cool. Particularly if there are differing levels of success to be had in achieving an objective, which can in turn alter variable story elements. Give me that, some sweet locomotion, and all the atmosphere this preview reel promises and I'll be buying this right when it comes out. I could use something cyberpunky with non-linear outcomes in my pile.

More gameplay:

Ooof! Looking pretty sleek and sexay, and I'm digging how they are glitching out the orchestral soundtrack to fit the hacker milieu.

Still looks sweet. I'm a little concerned about how jarring things'll be in switching from actual free movement to scripted/on-rails stuff - that sort of transition tends to make me feel like momentum is getting sucked out of the action. As long as those bits are short and it jumps right back, though, it might be tolerable.

I'm really counting on either this or Watch Dogs to blow my mind next year. Three cheers for seemingly taught cyberpunky thrillers.

Kind of a wierd mix of holographic augmented reality, and then when the fights start they put a HUD up. Also I'm not sure if they're just trying to make a flashy trailer, but looking at it as gameplay I thought the camera could use some work, like iamunderhill it felt very fast paced and jumpy.

Heh. At the end she got +300 pimp gain.

Just came here to post that combo lab video. Pretty nifty. From what I gather, instead of traditional combat games where you earn points or credits to buy new combos from a store, this looks like you have 4 combos total, but can customize them based on the situation?

If that's the case that's golden for someone like me who could usually never be bothered to memorize more than a handful of combos anyways.

I'm also really digging the 'glitchy' design of the game

The more I see of this game, the more I get excited for it. I really hope they do a good job with the PC version.

New trailer

Pages