2013 GWJ Fantasy Baseball League Catch-All

Still doesn't work for me. Says it's under maintenance. Been checking every morning.

Works for me. Maybe a caching issue for you?

Regardless, once you get the league set up, I'm cool for a draft pretty much any weeknight -- after 8pm EST is preferable. Also, I'd prefer prior to Friday March 29th, as I'm heading to Florida that day and will be on the road most of the weekend.

Alright, got it working fine.

We want H2H but the question is: do we want win/loss for each category or win/loss for most categories?

For instance, if we do 5 X 5 scoring (HR, RBI, SB, AVG, R) X (W, K, ERA, WHIP, SV) using each category and you win 6 of those categories against your matchup, your record for the week is 6-4-0. If we do all categories, your record for the week would be 1-0-0 (since you won 6 out of 10 categories). My personal preference in this is EACH category.

Playoffs: We need to decide on 3 divisions of 4 teams or 2 divisions of 6 teams. We also need to choose seeding format: Intra Division record or H2H record? H2H record will ensure the best teams get in so this is my personal preference.

FSeven wrote:

Alright, got it working fine.

We want H2H but the question is: do we want win/loss for each category or win/loss for most categories?

I put in a vote for each category, myself.

FSeven wrote:

Playoffs: We need to decide on 3 divisions of 4 teams or 2 divisions of 6 teams. We also need to choose seeding format: Intra Division record or H2H record? H2H record will ensure the best teams get in so this is my personal preference.

I'd go with 2 divisions of 6 teams, then H2H for seeding.

One thing: In order to allow for 6 teams to make the playoffs (with the top 2 teams getting a bye), playoff rounds must be set to 1 week per matchup. In order to set playoff matchups to 2 weeks, we would need to drop the number of teams that make it to the playoffs to 4.

The absolute only way to allow for 2-week playoff matchups while keeping the number of regular season weeks over 20 is to drop the number of playoff teams to 4.

tl;dr

6 playoff teams = 21 regular season weekly matchups + 1 week per playoff matchup (top 2 teams get a bye the first playoff week)
4 playoff teams = 20 regular season weekly matchups + 2 weeks per playoff matchup (no byes)

My preferences are the same as CptDomano's: "Each Category" scoring, 2 divisions of 6 teams, and H2H for seeding.

With respect to the playoffs, I'd vote for the 6 teams in option.

League has been setup. I'll modify scoring/playoffs once we get more feedback from owners.

Also, please PM me your email address so I can send you a league invite.

Here is the WhenIsGood link for Draft setup.

Please visit the link and paint in the times that are good for you. I currently have the entire month of March showing, from 8am - 11:30pm daily however I propose the weeks of March 10th, 17th, and 24th. The later the better (to account for spring training injuries, etc.).

Opening Day is Sunday, March 31.

All times are in EST.

B Dog, please visit this WhenIsGood link and resubmit your results. I had to recreate the schedule because there were some dates/times not showing.

http://whenisgood.net/mtwzqgk

6 playoff teams

2 divisions, H2H tiebreaker

1 point per category

FSeven wrote:

B Dog, please visit this WhenIsGood link and resubmit your results. I had to recreate the schedule because there were some dates/times not showing.

http://whenisgood.net/mtwzqgk

Done.

And PM sent.

3 divisions of 4 - I actually prefer no divisions, but if we do, may as well make it 3 divisions like we do in the GWJ football leagues. Makes it more competitive to win your division. 2 6-team divisions seems pointless.

6 playoff teams
H2H tiebreaker
1 point per category

Since we have 12 teams I think 3 divisions with 4 teams sounds like a better way to go.

6 playoff teams
H2H tiebreaker
1 point per category

PM sent and availability noted.

6 playoff teams

2 divisions, H2H tiebreaker

1 point per category

What is the reasoning for people wanting just 2 divisions? I haven't seen any explanations for the people picking 2.

ukickmydog wrote:

What is the reasoning for people wanting just 2 divisions? I haven't seen any explanations for the people picking 2.

Here was my reasoning: With 6 playoff teams, the top 2 get a bye in the first round. I figured that those would be division winners, so it made sense to just have two divisions (i.e., win the division, get a bye).

But if I've got it wrong or there's another reason to go with more divisions, feel free to disabuse me of my notion.

Won't the best 6 teams make the playoffs regardless of division structure?

Let me know if a slot opens up.

I have entered my times and sent a PM. I'm sure my times won't match up with others (12 hour time difference, 9-5 job and 2 young kids means I am limited to early AM times, mostly on week days). I'm happy for any time to be selected and I will just do my best to be there.

On the scoring I'd like 1 point per category. I'd prefer 4 teams for playoffs with 2 weeks per matchup. 2 (or no) divisions seems to make sense.

CEJ wrote:

Let me know if a slot opens up.

If CEJ is in, that would make 14, assuming Gizmo still wants in, too.

Either way:

2 divisions

6 playoff teams (h2h)

1 point per category

Also, times submitted and PM to follow.

I could ALMOST be convinced to join this sort of league (I'd fill a vacancy if needed to make it happen), I just get really annoyed at using counting stats (HR, RBI, R, SB, K, SV, Wins). It's just a personal thing after years of obsessing over baseball statistics and sabermetrics.

Landshrk83 wrote:

I could ALMOST be convinced to join this sort of league (I'd fill a vacancy if needed to make it happen), I just get really annoyed at using counting stats (HR, RBI, R, SB, K, SV, Wins). It's just a personal thing after years of obsessing over baseball statistics and sabermetrics.

Having only played 1 other fantasy league I was thinking this too. I'm not expecting the league to change but it is a bit strange that standard stats mix averages (era, batting average and whip) with the counting stats.

Cronox wrote:
Landshrk83 wrote:

I could ALMOST be convinced to join this sort of league (I'd fill a vacancy if needed to make it happen), I just get really annoyed at using counting stats (HR, RBI, R, SB, K, SV, Wins). It's just a personal thing after years of obsessing over baseball statistics and sabermetrics.

Having only played 1 other fantasy league I was thinking this too. I'm not expecting the league to change but it is a bit strange that standard stats mix averages (era, batting average and whip) with the counting stats.

It's been a long time, but I think I tried to get a sabermetric league going one year here and everyone ended up complaining so it ended up a standard league. I'd like to see a league where you use wOBA, FIP and a few other stats as well as a few counting stats. The kicker is that it flat doesn't work in head to head leagues, and you have to set requirements like minimum PA and minimum IP to avoid people cheating the system in a regular league.

I'm fine either way (2 or 3 divisions). I voted for the 2 division setup because the two division winners would get the bye weeks. With 3 divisions, 1 division winner is left out in the cold.

Kush15 wrote:

I'm fine either way (2 or 3 divisions). I voted for the 2 division setup because the two division winners would get the bye weeks. With 3 divisions, 1 division winner is left out in the cold.

+1. That is the only thing that makes sense to me. Division winners gets the byes and the best four records after that make the playoffs as wildcards.

All league invites have been sent out except for 1 (GioClark).

I'm going to set it for 2 divisions of 6. I'm not exactly certain if playoff seeds are decided by division winners or by record. My concern with setting up an odd number of divisions is that if a particular division is weak, the division winner might get seeded despite having, say, the 7th best record in the league. I want the top 6 teams to make the playoffs. I don't want to see someone get bumped simply because there is one weak division. We can cross that bridge next year and maybe try 4 divisions of 3 with the top teams from all leagues making the playoffs with 2-week playoff matchups. This inaugural season is intended to be mainly for us to see what we like/don't like so in 2014 we can consider dynasty/keeper leagues, custom scoring, etc.

Gizmo and CEJ are on the waitlist (and Landshrk83 whose eagerness is palpable ). If there is enough interest for a second league I would be happy to set another one up and participate in order to flesh it out.

With 9 out of 12 responses in, it looks like the best draft dates will be:

Wednesday, March 20 @ 9:00pm EST
Friday, March 22 @ 9:00pm EST
Wednesday, March 27 @ 9:00pm EST

Whatever happened to voting on roster slots / sizes? I still don't like the idea of having a million starting spots with only 3 bench spots. I think the MI and CI spots should be merged to just be an extra generic IF spot and also remove one OF spot. Then take those two slots and put them on the bench for 5 bench slots. Also, I doubt it with this crowd, but just having every pitching slot be P instead of having a couple be SP and RP leaves open the possibility of people throwing certain categories and just drafting a million relievers or starters. I think there should be 2 SP and 2 RP slots, with the rest P.

I have trouble predicting my schedule that far in advance, but should be able to make whatever time works best for others.

I'd also take part in a second league.

I'll throw my vote in for Friday March 22, if only so I don't have to worry about work the next day.

Would it be possible for everyone to alter their ESPN and change their name to their GWJ handle? It's hard to keep track of who is who when there is nothing linking your ESPN account to your GWJ account.

ukickmydog wrote:

Whatever happened to voting on roster slots / sizes? I still don't like the idea of having a million starting spots with only 3 bench spots. I think the MI and CI spots should be merged to just be an extra generic IF spot and also remove one OF spot. Then take those two slots and put them on the bench for 5 bench slots. Also, I doubt it with this crowd, but just having every pitching slot be P instead of having a couple be SP and RP leaves open the possibility of people throwing certain categories and just drafting a million relievers or starters. I think there should be 2 SP and 2 RP slots, with the rest P.

There aren't a million starting slots. There are 22. I didn't put it to a vote because to be honest I haven't yet heard an argument that beats out simple math. As I had stated before:

FSeven wrote:

It's only 3 more starting position slots than your format and 1 more pitching slot.

I prefer this format as it tends to pull evenly across all major league positions. Assuming your CI and MI are equally divided amongst 1B/3B and 2B/SS, this format nets out to the following per team (before you start filling up UTIL and Bench spots): 1.5 1B, 1.5 2B, 1.5 SS, 1.5 3B, 5 OF. If you divided this against a real team’s starting lineup, you get 1.5 for all the infield spots and 1.66 for OF. The one UTIL spot will generally pull from 1B and OF to drive those positions’ replacement level close to 2B/SS/3B.

Your format (which I believe is the Yahoo default format which has no CI/MI, 3 OF, and 2 UTIL) is also proportional but I find it’s too shallow. You’re basically losing 4 hitters per team (2 OF, CI, MI) and adding one UTIL. This inflates the available free agents. I would only suggest that if there are 14-16 teams but the players are very novice.

As for bench and DL, I recommend sticking with 3 bench and 1 DL for shallow leagues and 5-7 bench spots/1 DL for deeper leagues. For deep leagues, it’s fun to use the bench for both necessary filler (e.g., a Brooks Conrad type that might give you something when your starter gets hurt) and prospect speculation. In shallow leagues, the free agency pool is so rich that deep benches only serve to frustrate active owners. There is nothing worse than seeing potential free agent targets languishing on the bench of someone who checked out of the league.

I would consider adding another bench slot but honestly, I don't really see what the benefit is other than hoarding fliers. I would like there to be an active free agency pool. Not a huge bench where everyone hoards the best players and no one makes any moves during the year because all decent talent is languishing on owners' benches.

Does anyone else have a problem with the default ESPN roster format?

ukickmydog wrote:

Also, I doubt it with this crowd, but just having every pitching slot be P instead of having a couple be SP and RP leaves open the possibility of people throwing certain categories and just drafting a million relievers or starters. I think there should be 2 SP and 2 RP slots, with the rest P.

So what? Do we really want to force everyone to play exactly the same way? Why is it an issue if one owner decides he wants to punt a particular category in favor of trying to guarantee himself a win every time in another category? It's a risk he's willing to take. It's a strategy he wants to pursue. Why should creativity and strategy be punished? I think rigid leagues are very un-fun. Set the rules loosely and let people come up with whatever strategy within the confines of those rules that they think will win.

If an owner wants to stock up on a million starters or relievers I can guarantee you he will be ensuring a bottom 50% finish.

FSeven wrote:

So what? Do we really want to force everyone to play exactly the same way? Why is it an issue if one owner decides he wants to punt a particular category in favor of trying to guarantee himself a win every time in another category? It's a risk he's willing to take. It's a strategy he wants to pursue. Why should creativity and strategy be punished? I think rigid leagues are very un-fun. Set the rules loosely and let people come up with whatever strategy within the confines of those rules that they think will win.

If an owner wants to stock up on a million starters or relievers I can guarantee you he will be ensuring a bottom 50% finish.

Wasn't there a big debate about streaming starters earlier? If all strategies are fair-game, are you saying this is okay now?

Having a couple forced SP and RP slots is actually to make sure that it is fun. I've been in leagues with all P slots and someone drafts a million closers. Sure, they didn't win the league, but it definitely made it un-fun for the rest of the league not being able to have more than one closer because they were all monopolized by one person that could start 8 of them. I see setting all pitchers to P as akin to setting all infielders to just IF. If I want to start 8 first basemen I should be able to start 8 first basemen? That would be decidedly un-fun.

Sorry if I sound off-putting, but I've been playing fantasy baseball for 15 years now under a million different sets of rules. I like to think I have a pretty good grasp on what prevents people from 'cheating' the system and keeping if fun for everyone else.

That said, I think it should be a consensus on what everyone in the league wants to go with. You've laid out why you think small benches and all P slots is good, I've countered with why I think they are bad. Why not open it up to everyone else?