PAX East 2013!

Buttons and flags are so passé now. I vote for the Goodjer Jork as our means of recognizing one another at PAX!

(NB: I do not vote for the Goodjer Jork. Ever.)

I always heard those referenced as "cut offs" or something.

PAX has coat checks too, so even if you bring a bunch of stuff to stay warm, you can check it when you get there and not worry about lugging it all over the con floor.

ccesarano wrote:

I always heard those referenced as "cut offs" or something.

Same here.

I've always heard them called Jorts.

TheHipGamer wrote:

Buttons and flags are so passé now. I vote for the Goodjer Jork as our means of recognizing one another at PAX!

gravity wrote:

PAX has coat checks too, so even if you bring a bunch of stuff to stay warm, you can check it when you get there and not worry about lugging it all over the con floor.

...

TheHipGamer wrote:
TheHipGamer wrote:

Buttons and flags are so passé now. I vote for the Goodjer Jork as our means of recognizing one another at PAX!

gravity wrote:

PAX has coat checks too, so even if you bring a bunch of stuff to stay warm, you can check it when you get there and not worry about lugging it all over the con floor.

...

Can I check my pant legs if I cut my jeans into jorts?

McIrishJihad wrote:
TheHipGamer wrote:
TheHipGamer wrote:

Buttons and flags are so passé now. I vote for the Goodjer Jork as our means of recognizing one another at PAX!

gravity wrote:

PAX has coat checks too, so even if you bring a bunch of stuff to stay warm, you can check it when you get there and not worry about lugging it all over the con floor.

...

Can I check my pant legs if I cut my jeans into jorts? :D

Only if they are the sweet zip off ones.

Stengah wrote:
ccesarano wrote:

I always heard those referenced as "cut offs" or something.

Same here.

Amoebic wrote:

I've always heard them called Jorts.

Have we hit another soda/pop linguistic/dialect dilemma?

If I wear meggings with the legs cut off should I call them morts?

ccesarano wrote:
Stengah wrote:
ccesarano wrote:

I always heard those referenced as "cut offs" or something.

Same here.

Amoebic wrote:

I've always heard them called Jorts.

Have we hit another soda/pop linguistic/dialect dilemma?

There's no dilemma. It's tonic.

TheHipGamer wrote:
TheHipGamer wrote:

Buttons and flags are so passé now. I vote for the Goodjer Jork as our means of recognizing one another at PAX!

gravity wrote:

PAX has coat checks too, so even if you bring a bunch of stuff to stay warm, you can check it when you get there and not worry about lugging it all over the con floor.

...

Whoa... whoa... the sexy just got serious up in here.

Spoiler:

Please don't wear your jorts at me.

I'll toss a copy of The Resistance in my bag since it's easy to transport - RedPanda and myself are skipping the hotel this year.

I tried, but I just can't swing PAX East this year. An unexpected windshield replacement means I have to cut something out. At least there's Minpencon!

I lucked out this year. My brother bought me a pair of weekend passes. I am hoping to change things up this year. I think I am going to bring a bookbag and fill it with snacks and water. I am also going to take several naps rather than overload on coffee.

inthebird wrote:

I lucked out this year. My brother bought me a pair of weekend passes. I am hoping to change things up this year. I think I am going to bring a bookbag and fill it with snacks and water. I am also going to take several naps rather than overload on coffee.

Bringing your own food and containers for water are the way to go. Unless you're the lucky guy carrying the bag all day

The BCEC has plenty of water fountains, so if you bring a decent reusable container, you'll only be carrying "one bottle" all day.

McIrishJihad wrote:
inthebird wrote:

I lucked out this year. My brother bought me a pair of weekend passes. I am hoping to change things up this year. I think I am going to bring a bookbag and fill it with snacks and water. I am also going to take several naps rather than overload on coffee.

Bringing your own food and containers for water are the way to go. Unless you're the lucky guy carrying the bag all day

The BCEC has plenty of water fountains, so if you bring a decent reusable container, you'll only be carrying "one bottle" all day.

Yeah, and while the "roll the food trucks in" thing is cool and all, the food is actually pretty horrible. It's not like INSANE expensive, like Gencon, but its not good food.

rabbit wrote:
McIrishJihad wrote:
inthebird wrote:

I lucked out this year. My brother bought me a pair of weekend passes. I am hoping to change things up this year. I think I am going to bring a bookbag and fill it with snacks and water. I am also going to take several naps rather than overload on coffee.

Bringing your own food and containers for water are the way to go. Unless you're the lucky guy carrying the bag all day

The BCEC has plenty of water fountains, so if you bring a decent reusable container, you'll only be carrying "one bottle" all day.

Yeah, and while the "roll the food trucks in" thing is cool and all, the food is actually pretty horrible. It's not like INSANE expensive, like Gencon, but its not good food.

Nor is it healthy. Pretty much everything is deep fried, and on a par with college stadium food. The surrounding restaurants tend to be loud, overpriced & overpacked as well.

Tanglebones wrote:
rabbit wrote:
McIrishJihad wrote:
inthebird wrote:

I lucked out this year. My brother bought me a pair of weekend passes. I am hoping to change things up this year. I think I am going to bring a bookbag and fill it with snacks and water. I am also going to take several naps rather than overload on coffee.

Bringing your own food and containers for water are the way to go. Unless you're the lucky guy carrying the bag all day

The BCEC has plenty of water fountains, so if you bring a decent reusable container, you'll only be carrying "one bottle" all day.

Yeah, and while the "roll the food trucks in" thing is cool and all, the food is actually pretty horrible. It's not like INSANE expensive, like Gencon, but its not good food.

Nor is it healthy. Pretty much everything is deep fried, and on a par with college stadium food. The surrounding restaurants tend to be loud, overpriced & overpacked as well.

The Boston food truck scene is pretty decent. if they're able to get some of the regular trucks from in town out to the BCEC for the weekend, I'd be hitting them instead of the BCEC Food Court. At least the food will be marginally cheaper while still not being the healthiest.

I do love paying $10 for a sandwich and chips though or $12 for a crappy burrito. [/sarcasm]

McIrishJihad wrote:
inthebird wrote:

I lucked out this year. My brother bought me a pair of weekend passes. I am hoping to change things up this year. I think I am going to bring a bookbag and fill it with snacks and water. I am also going to take several naps rather than overload on coffee.

Bringing your own food and containers for water are the way to go. Unless you're the lucky guy carrying the bag all day

The BCEC has plenty of water fountains, so if you bring a decent reusable container, you'll only be carrying "one bottle" all day.

This is one advantage to driving in everyday. You can keep all your food in the car in a cooler and don't have to carry it around. Hour and a half drive before and after each day of course is the trade off.

I also vow to finish that damn scavenger hunt. I vow it!

McIrishJihad wrote:

The BCEC has plenty of water fountains, so if you bring a decent reusable container, you'll only be carrying "one bottle" all day.

I'll shill for these again. They were incredibly useful at Disney and the filter helps a bit.

Tanglebones wrote:

The surrounding restaurants tend to be loud, overpriced & overpacked as well.

We've had good luck the last two years with Legal Test Kitchen (which is Legal Sea Foods so it's a little overpriced anyways, but the crowd wasn't bad the last two years) for dinner (make reservations obviously), and going down to South Station's food court for lunch (seriously, 10 minute walk and much better quality than BCEC food with standard prices). The Tamo Bar was fairly good and quiet last year but again, prices.

You can also try No Name for fried seafood if you're adventurous, we didn't find anything wrong with it last year (was insanely empty), but Yelp says it's on a downward trend lately so be warned. Alternatively, you can try The Barking Crab which is typically a tourist trap, but was pretty dead Sunday night two years ago.

I think as long as you're willing to walk a few blocks the crowds tend to be less an issue. Pricing obviously can't be helped since even with the convention, you're still dealing with a fairly business/upscle oriented district.

I love the NoName.

The No Name has a fantastic broiled seafood platter as well, and you won't (quite) feel your arteries clogging up before you leave the restaurant. Also, the seafood chowder is really spectacular. I haven't been there in a few months -- think I'll have to walk over for lunch this week.

We tried to hit LTK last year on Friday night, and it was packed.

So we went across the street to Legal Harborside and found 3 seats at the bar.

If we're pimping, I'm a huge fan of Platypus bags. Come in .5L and 1L, and can roll up or fold over when they're empty. We've had a trio for 9 months, and they haven't let us down yet.

I like the Brita ones that Shop posted because they have the built in filter, but even once the filter is "broken in", it still takes a lot of effort to draw off them.

merphle wrote:

The No Name has a fantastic broiled seafood platter as well, and you won't (quite) feel your arteries clogging up before you leave the restaurant. Also, the seafood chowder is really spectacular. I haven't been there in a few months -- think I'll have to walk over for lunch this week.

Please post thoughts if you do go. I've only been there once and I liked it enough to be willing to go back again (like I said earlier, it was really quiet there due to being off the beaten path), but the Yelp scores aren't positive lately. Could be Yelpers being Yelpers or maybe there's something else going down, which is why I brought it up to see if there were any second opinions.

shoptroll wrote:
merphle wrote:

The No Name has a fantastic broiled seafood platter as well, and you won't (quite) feel your arteries clogging up before you leave the restaurant. Also, the seafood chowder is really spectacular. I haven't been there in a few months -- think I'll have to walk over for lunch this week.

Please post thoughts if you do go. I've only been there once and I liked it enough to be willing to go back again (like I said earlier, it was really quiet there due to being off the beaten path), but the Yelp scores aren't positive lately. Could be Yelpers being Yelpers or maybe there's something else going down, which is why I brought it up to see if there were any second opinions.

You need to know what your getting -- extraordinary seafood prepared very simply in ZERO ambiance.

rabbit wrote:
shoptroll wrote:
merphle wrote:

The No Name has a fantastic broiled seafood platter as well, and you won't (quite) feel your arteries clogging up before you leave the restaurant. Also, the seafood chowder is really spectacular. I haven't been there in a few months -- think I'll have to walk over for lunch this week.

Please post thoughts if you do go. I've only been there once and I liked it enough to be willing to go back again (like I said earlier, it was really quiet there due to being off the beaten path), but the Yelp scores aren't positive lately. Could be Yelpers being Yelpers or maybe there's something else going down, which is why I brought it up to see if there were any second opinions.

You need to know what your getting -- extraordinary seafood prepared very simply in ZERO ambiance.

So to answer Shop's question - Yelpers being Yelpers

Yeah. For those who don't know, The No Name is located on the Boston Fish Pier, where a bunch of fishing trawlers dock daily and unload their catch into a few local businesses on the pier for cleaning, preparation, and eventual retail sales right on the pier itself. It's basically a strip mall of extremely fresh fish (and lobsters, etc)... and The No Name gets their supply from those same boats. You will not have fresher fish in your life, unless you catch & clean it yourself. The No Name also prioritizes the fish itself ahead of any fancy preparations... so basically, don't expect to have tons of spices and creams and sauces -- it's the fish, deep-fried or broiled in butter, and that's about it, so that you can really appreciate the seafood for what it is.

Sorry. That's the usual spiel I give when promoting the place. I've been going there for years, dating back to when the MacWorld Expo was hosted in Boston.

rabbit wrote:

ZERO ambiance.

Good point, I remember the restaurant being very much traditional New England seafood style: thick tables, not much decoration, and plenty of fish and fries

McIrishJihad wrote:

So to answer Shop's question - Yelpers being Yelpers :)

Yup

merphle wrote:

stuff

Thanks for elaborating. I was hesitant to bring it up earlier because I liked it last year, but I checked Yelp I wasn't sure if I was in the minority and everyone was going to be "No Name?! Really? That place?".