PAX East 2013!

Pages

PAX East is coming up!
Dates: March 22-24, 2013
Where: Boston, Mass
Get your tickets now.

GWJ Slap & Tickle at Tamo (the bar in the Seaport hotel) will be Friday night at 7:30. To get there from the BCEC just go across the bridge, in the Seaport and go down stairs.

Here is a Google Doc of games everyone will be bringing.

Some info of interest from Rabbit:

rabbit wrote:

If anyone's keeling score, here are the panels I'm on at Pax. I will also (duh!) be at the Meetup on Friday night, and I will also be in a 6 hour Dune throwdown in the tabletop area with podcast crew from 12-6 on Friday.

SATURDAY 3/23 3:00PM - 4:00PM - Corgi
Digital Board Games: How board games are entering and growing in the digital world.

SATURDAY 3/23 7:30PM - 8:30PM - Corgi
Worth A Thousand Words - an exploration of interface design in strategy gaming. It's more interesting than it sounds, I swear. We have slides and everything. It's the Three Moves Ahead panel.

SUNDAY 3/24 12:30PM - 1:30PM - Arachnid
GWJ Panel with Jeff Green and Justin McElroy

Also, if you come to the panel on Sunday, you have to be extra nice to my 9 year old son, who will likely be overwhelmed by you all.

shoptroll wrote:
RooneyFan wrote:
shoptroll wrote:

I'm putting in the reservation today for the Thursday pre-Con dinner. Last call for anyone on the fence.

I could be what are the details. I going to that Made In Mass event but I think it wraps up at 10 so maybe I'm in for some post dinner beers.

We're doing dinner in the North End at a "Family Style" italian restaurant between 6 and 7 next Thursday. Should have exact details soon.

EDIT:

Details!

Dinner is at 6 PM. Google Map is here. As they require everyone to be present before seating, we should meet outside the restaurant (or somewhere nearby) between 5:30 and 5:45. There will be an extra gratuity required due to the size of the party. I've requested 8 seats and will adjust the party size once we get closer in case some people can't make it at that time.

Hotel & registration booked. We're going to be staying a bit farther away, and using the shuttles this year.

We really liked the Seaport last year what is everyone else thinking?

I'll probably be at the attached Westin. I haven't talked to the guy who does my hotel-share yet, though.

We really liked the Seaport last year what are other thinking?

I liked the Westin a lot, and had mixed feelings about the Seaport (good hotel, but the bridge across was full of drunken, kinda scary assholes, during the Curse party), but it looked like they were sold out for the dates we wanted, by the time I got to the website.

Does the Seaport or Westin charge when you make a reservation? If not then I'll probably make my own reservation anyway depending on what days my friend has his room. Reserving for Thursday night to Sunday morning at Escapist Expo ended up being a fantastic idea.

I would probably go for Westin myself, simply due to proximity and how well the Penny Arcade forum members were able to organize a meeting spot exclusively for PAXers.

We are staying at home again this year and making the drive from the cape all three days. It worked pretty well last year and we are both used to the long commute anyways. Just means we end up missing the concerts.

Tangle, do all the associated hotels run shuttles to the convention center? Is there a cost?

The Seaport was pretty but I hated paying them gobs of money for parking.

Slumberland wrote:

Tangle, do all the associated hotels run shuttles to the convention center? Is there a cost?

The Seaport was pretty but I hated paying them gobs of money for parking.

Yes, and no, I believe. (yes, shuttle, no for cost)

Tanglebones wrote:
Slumberland wrote:

Tangle, do all the associated hotels run shuttles to the convention center? Is there a cost?

The Seaport was pretty but I hated paying them gobs of money for parking.

Yes, and no, I believe. (yes, shuttle, no for cost)

You should check to see how late those shuttles go before you make your final decision.

I feel like I still haven't gotten over this year's PAX East -_-

I'll decide when tickets are for sale whether I'm going or not. I think I'd probably pop into the city for whatever GWJ meetup happens, at the least.

Edit: Wait, for sale already? Damnit.

Blind_Evil wrote:

Edit: Wait, for sale already? Damnit.

Word is we might get close to another quick sell-out situation.

We grabbed a few rooms at the Westin for various folks (full up, sorry, just letting folks know where we're at). I'd not hesitate to grab a badge.

Edit: also, stay tuned for fabulous panel and meetup plans as they come about.

We got a room at the Seaport as that was all that was still available when I did it just a couple minutes ago.

ccesarano wrote:
Blind_Evil wrote:

Edit: Wait, for sale already? Damnit.

Word is we might get close to another quick sell-out situation.

Gross.

I had a good time at PAX but not enough to buy this early with my current financial constraints. Seems most GWJ people are adamant about the boardgaming/tabletop being the best part, and as someone who's lukewarm on both of those I have to base my value judgment on the panels and show floor. The panels were fun but the lines suck, and that stuff is mostly online within a week. The show floor is a neat spectacle but not the kind of thing I can stick with for more than a couple hours at a time.

Maybe I'll just go every other year. Hopefully by 2014 I'll have someone to really "go with."

Signed up.

rabbit wrote:

We grabbed a few rooms at the Westin for various folks (full up, sorry, just letting folks know where we're at). I'd not hesitate to grab a badge.

Edit: also, stay tuned for fabulous panel and meetup plans as they come about.

Are you saying the Westin is full up or, your reserved block of rooms? My gut tells me you mean the latter but, I freaked out when I read that sentence anyhow as I always stay at he Westin.

I just registered for me and the wife. Hopefully she can actually go and we won't have to sell her badge at the last minute. I'm excited to meet some more goodjers this year!

Good luck folks. Won't be able to get to this one so make sure y'all get a bunch of pictures.

Purchased a pass! Intending to go, but curious about the rooming situation. Is this the thread to discuss such things as looking for roomies?
I'm cool with sleeping on the floor if that's what it takes.

FYI, Westin doesn't seem to be available if you try to book through their website.

Hotels have to go through the pax link, everything is blocked otherwise.

Demyx and I are in. Had to do the registration on my phone, but we're locked and loaded. We live local to the venue, so if there's any pre-event plans being made, we'd love to join.

Blind_Evil wrote:

Maybe I'll just go every other year. Hopefully by 2014 I'll have someone to really "go with."

Booooooo

Oops, my bad. Grammar fail. The Westin seems to be booked out through the PAX site no matter which dates are selected. Same with the Seaport.

Edit: Thinking of booking a hotel in the Copley area and taking the T line in and out of the event. They run from 6am(ish) to 12am(ish). Any locals have an inside review of how safe/scary this area is? Is this a good plan or not?

Editedit: I'm not made of money, so if anyone has sofas or floorspace that is pet-free I could humbly, gladly room at your place. I will repay you in platitudes and baked goods.

Amoebic wrote:

Edit: Thinking of booking a hotel in the Copley area and taking the T line in and out of the event. They run from 6am(ish) to 12am(ish). Any locals have an inside review of how safe/scary this area is? Is this a good plan or not?

Copley is very safe. There's a somewhat sketchy 7-11 nearby the copley T-stop, but other than that it's a really nice area.

It's not a bad plan overall. You'll have to take the green line to the red line to the silver line to get there, but you're closer than I am by 15-20 min. Overall, just plan for some travel time in the morning and you'll be great. I'd estimate 45 minutes or so if you want to play it safe. Also, the taxi ride from the convention center isn't too far from Copley, so if you stay out past T-o'clock (which I always end up doing) you it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to get home.

I cant believe the Westin Waterfront is booked solid already! Who let out my secret of minimal walking to the con?

TigerBill wrote:

I cant believe the Westin Waterfront is booked solid already! Who let out my secret of minimal walking to the con? ;)

Yeah tell me about it but I bet a bunch of people booked it before the tickets went on sale because they knew when the event was scheduled and got them at regular price before the got blocked off.
I'd jump on the Seaport if you want something in decent walking distance.

MonoCheli wrote:
TigerBill wrote:

I cant believe the Westin Waterfront is booked solid already! Who let out my secret of minimal walking to the con? ;)

Yeah tell me about it but I bet a bunch of people booked it before the tickets went on sale because they knew when the event was scheduled and got them at regular price before the got blocked off.
I'd jump on the Seaport if you want something in decent walking distance.

FULL!

Thanks again to Tanglebones for the heads up about the hotels and passes. We got Friday and Saturday night at the Westin, which means we'll be driving up early Friday morning instead of Thursday afternoon unfortunately. Also, we won't be bringing any games this year as we'll have our half-vampire/half-baby in tow. Can't wait to see everyone again.

If there are Goodjer meetups (or if the crew does another panel), I might pick up a one-day pass. (Happy to provide a local's insight on the area, as well.)

My wife has given me the okay, passes are ordered, but we're looking to split a hotel room at the Colonnade Boston.

Reading the terms on the site, it looks like you won't get charged any reservation fee until 30 days before the event. Does anyone know if that's actually how it works?

Yeah, they won't charge anything to your card until 30 days before, when they usually charge the equivalent of a single night's stay. But even that should be refundable up until a couple days before the event.

I made a reservation at the Doubletree Club (low rate, the most reasonable parking fee), but things are subject to change.

Pages