Starcraft II HotS Multiplayer Swarm-All

jdzappa wrote:

I have a question for all you SC pros out there. I'm halfway through the campaign, have started doing ok in the challenges, and I'm considering dipping my toe into PVP. I'm ok with losing while learning but I don't want to be constantly ROFLstomped. In your experience, will I be facing too stiff competition to catch up? That's what turned me off in games like Sins of a Solar Empire or Heroes of Newarth - the learning curve was just too steep.

Just do it, stay in the practice league until your comfortable. You'll get placed in bronze probably but no big deal, just have fun!

jdzappa wrote:

I have a question for all you SC pros out there. I'm halfway through the campaign, have started doing ok in the challenges, and I'm considering dipping my toe into PVP. I'm ok with losing while learning but I don't want to be constantly ROFLstomped. In your experience, will I be facing too stiff competition to catch up? That's what turned me off in games like Sins of a Solar Empire or Heroes of Newarth - the learning curve was just too steep.

BNet 2.0 does a wonderful job of putting you against equal levels opponents. Your first placement matches could be a bit tough, but after that everything becomes rainbows and sunshine.

jdzappa wrote:

I'm considering dipping my toe into PVP. I'm ok with losing while learning but I don't want to be constantly ROFLstomped. In your experience, will I be facing too stiff competition to catch up? That's what turned me off in games like Sins of a Solar Empire or Heroes of Newarth - the learning curve was just too steep.

Yup, what they said above. Stick to the practice leagues, comp stomp skirmishes, and the challenges until you're comfortable beating a medium AI without much trouble. I think once you can do that you'll be fine jumping into the multiplayer and get good match-ups once you get placed. Just keep in mind that your placement matches might be a bit rough. I have found the game is quite good and providing you with the information to see how and why you lost a match. Use the score screen for a quick idea of how you were faring against your opponent, and dive into the replay to see what was specifically happening at a given time.

Queueball wrote:

I don't think he's mind controlling the siege tanks, but throwing some infested terrans. The siege will target the infested and the splash will deal friendly fire.

Yeah. That's what what I was referring to when I said "cool trick."

jdzappa wrote:

I have a question for all you SC pros out there. I'm halfway through the campaign, have started doing ok in the challenges, and I'm considering dipping my toe into PVP.

PvP is a pain in the butt. I'd suggest starting with PvT and PvZ.

jdzappa wrote:

I have a question for all you SC pros out there. I'm halfway through the campaign, have started doing ok in the challenges, and I'm considering dipping my toe into PVP. I'm ok with losing while learning but I don't want to be constantly ROFLstomped. In your experience, will I be facing too stiff competition to catch up? That's what turned me off in games like Sins of a Solar Empire or Heroes of Newarth - the learning curve was just too steep.

I'm far from a great player so I keep losing, but I hold my own for a while, I definitely don't get stomped. And I keep getting thrown up against Silver players, which is a little annoying. Although apparently the League isn't all that important.

Every game I learn a little more though, so I'm enjoying it. Losing is a lesson, not a punishment.

jdzappa wrote:

I have a question for all you SC pros out there. I'm halfway through the campaign, have started doing ok in the challenges, and I'm considering dipping my toe into PVP.

PvP is a pain in the butt. I'd suggest starting with PvT and PvZ. ;)[/quote]
I think he's talking about Player vs Player, not Protoss vs Protoss.
Or if it was a joke... weak, even for you.

Pikey26 wrote:
scribble wrote:
jdzappa wrote:

I have a question for all you SC pros out there. I'm halfway through the campaign, have started doing ok in the challenges, and I'm considering dipping my toe into PVP.

PvP is a pain in the butt. I'd suggest starting with PvT and PvZ. ;)

I think he's talking about Player vs Player, not Protoss vs Protoss.
Or if it was a joke... weak, even for you. :P

Whatever dude. Learn how to close your tags.

scribble wrote:
Pikey26 wrote:
scribble wrote:
jdzappa wrote:

I have a question for all you SC pros out there. I'm halfway through the campaign, have started doing ok in the challenges, and I'm considering dipping my toe into PVP.

PvP is a pain in the butt. I'd suggest starting with PvT and PvZ. ;)

I think he's talking about Player vs Player, not Protoss vs Protoss.
Or if it was a joke... weak, even for you. :P

Whatever dude. Learn how to close your tags. :P

IMAGE(http://uploads.justindickinson.com/OhSnapBear.jpg)

Dax wrote:
EvilDead wrote:

Has anyone figured out how to get the voice chat working yet or is it just broken?

I've done quite a few tests and its broken as far as I can tell.

Same observation here... It shows like it is working in the client and my name appears, but no one ever hears me. I checked via text chat to make sure they didn't hear me.

Just expect to get ROFLstomped in your five placement matches, then things will level out afterward.

jdzappa wrote:

I have a question for all you SC pros out there. I'm halfway through the campaign, have started doing ok in the challenges, and I'm considering dipping my toe into PVP. I'm ok with losing while learning but I don't want to be constantly ROFLstomped. In your experience, will I be facing too stiff competition to catch up? That's what turned me off in games like Sins of a Solar Empire or Heroes of Newarth - the learning curve was just too steep.

The practice league is great. I had the EXACT same fear (and level of experience). I won my first three games by narrow, landslide, landslide. I have last both my 2v2 games (but learned how to fix those mistakes). The replays are worth TONS... espcially when you say "That was cool, how did he do that!" The replays even show camera position and clicks.

Edit: Besides, even if you loose, you are just making the other guy happy

jadefire21 wrote:

The replays even show camera position and clicks.

Wow, didn't know about the camera position thing. That is very exciting.

jadefire21 wrote:
Dax wrote:
EvilDead wrote:

Has anyone figured out how to get the voice chat working yet or is it just broken?

I've done quite a few tests and its broken as far as I can tell.

Same observation here... It shows like it is working in the client and my name appears, but no one ever hears me. I checked via text chat to make sure they didn't hear me.

I couldn't even hear myself in test mode, although it shows that my mic is picking sound up. I don't know if that might just have to do with my output settings, though, although the rest of the game's sounds all come out fine.

It's not your output settings. There's something wonky with the voice chat, because I'm getting the same thing (mic test shows input, but nothing out), and a bunch of people on the SC2 boards are too. There's some speculation that it may be related to Realtek audio being present even if it's not being actually used. I have no idea, but I'm hoping they fix it soon. I'd also like it if they let you bind the PTT button to a mouse thumb button.

I played my five placement matches this evening. Won two, lost three. Meh. At least the three losses were all fairly close and weren't instant crushing victories for my foes. One of the matches ended up over 20 minutes.

Then I go look them up, and all five players are Platinum, and in the top half of their respective divisions.

Since I beat two Platinum-division players and held my own against three others, where should the game place me? Well, apparently it decided that I belong in Silver.

I sense some ladder-climbing in my immediate future.

(As a side note, I play Random, and I got Zerg four times, and never saw Protoss. This probably was not conducive to my winning chances.)

Played a couple more 1v1 games last night. Lost the first one and my opponent dropped out in the second one, although he was winning, guess he had a problem.

I'm definitely doing okay in the early game, watching replays my production keeps up with him, and then my opponent out techs me. Need to work on my middle game and my unit management in combat. The whole 'attack move into the enemy base' strategy isn't working out for me.

MrDeVil909 wrote:

Played a couple more 1v1 games last night. Lost the first one and my opponent dropped out in the second one, although he was winning, guess he had a problem.

I'm definitely doing okay in the early game, watching replays my production keeps up with him, and then my opponent out techs me. Need to work on my middle game and my unit management in combat. The whole 'attack move into the enemy base' strategy isn't working out for me. ;)

Try splitting each untit type to a cntrl hotkey. This way it will be much easier to use the units abilities. Also I always use cntrl+1 for my nexus, command centers, or lairs. This way I have fast access to creating more workers.

This is especially important with zerg since you can hotkey all the lairs, select all your larva and spawn a whole bunch of units.

Definitely need to tech up. The higher tech units are just the thing for breaking a siege.

TempestBlayze wrote:

Try splitting each untit type to a cntrl hotkey. This way it will be much easier to use the units abilities. Also I always use cntrl+1 for my nexus, command centers, or lairs. This way I have fast access to creating more workers.

Yeah, that's definitely what I'm going to need to do. Tabbing to the different unit type takes too long.

I play Protoss and it seems to me that the ability to Blink Stalkers closer to siege tanks, and into the base, should be pretty useful. I also need to tech up more when the Terran is turtling rather than focusing on lots of T1 and T1.5 units.

I have got into the habit of grouping my Nexus' together and my Gateways. The Nexus group makes chronoboosting very effective.

Maybe I should also get over my distaste for flyers.

I suck.

That is all.

ranalin wrote:

I suck.

That is all.

Then we need to play!

MrDeVil909 wrote:

Maybe I should also get over my distaste for flyers.

...yeah, maybe.

Chumpy_McChump wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:

Maybe I should also get over my distaste for flyers.

...yeah, maybe. :)

As Protoss? Yeah. Both Phoenix and Void Ray are great at taking out Tanks. Immortals and Colossi work fairly well too, and as Protoss, you really want to build a Robotics Facility anyway, so you can get an Observer or two flying around to see what they're doing and to defend against Banshees and Ghosts. So from there you already have the Immortals, and Colossi are just a building away if you decide you want them too.

MrDeVil909 wrote:

I have got into the habit of grouping my Nexus' together and my Gateways. The Nexus group makes

Once you upgrade your gateways to warpgates all you have to do is press W and it selects all the warpgates.

TempestBlayze wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:

I have got into the habit of grouping my Nexus' together and my Gateways. The Nexus group makes

Once you upgrade your gateways to warpgates all you have to do is press W and it selects all the warpgates.

O.O

Awesome. Does Chrono-boost work on the warpgates? Of course I will try that out when I get home, but forewarning would be nice.

MrDeVil909 wrote:
TempestBlayze wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:

I have got into the habit of grouping my Nexus' together and my Gateways. The Nexus group makes

Once you upgrade your gateways to warpgates all you have to do is press W and it selects all the warpgates.

O.O

Awesome. Does Chrono-boost work on the warpgates? Of course I will try that out when I get home, but forewarning would be nice. ;)

Yes!

MrDeVil909 wrote:
TempestBlayze wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:

I have got into the habit of grouping my Nexus' together and my Gateways. The Nexus group makes

Once you upgrade your gateways to warpgates all you have to do is press W and it selects all the warpgates.

O.O

Awesome. Does Chrono-boost work on the warpgates? Of course I will try that out when I get home, but forewarning would be nice. ;)

I believe it speeds up their cooldown timer, so yes.

Sweeeeet!

One thing I am thankful for, is that in Bronze not many people have realised how effective the Ghost is against Protoss. Everyone goes MMM, or Banshee harassing.

*edit*

Having said that, I haven't won a game since my placement matches, but still. At least the opposition is pretty predictable.

Oh man, I can post from work again, wheee...

So, anyone want to play some matches this evening? I've yet to play and goodjers because I wanted a week of practice and finishing the single player before I got too heavy into MP. I'm currently near the top of my silver league probably about to get bumped up to gold. Record is sitting at 26-21 right now and I play zerg. I'd be happy for some fun matches, some *v*s with goodjer teammates, or some directed practice matches to test builds. I play zerg primarily but I'm getting a modicum of fluency with the other races now.

I'll add my info to the spreadsheet later on today.

TheArtOfScience wrote:

Oh man, I can post from work again, wheee...

So, anyone want to play some matches this evening? I've yet to play and goodjers because I wanted a week of practice and finishing the single player before I got too heavy into MP. I'm currently near the top of my silver league probably about to get bumped up to gold. Record is sitting at 26-21 right now and I play zerg. I'd be happy for some fun matches, some *v*s with goodjer teammates, or some directed practice matches to test builds. I play zerg primarily but I'm getting a modicum of fluency with the other races now.

I'll add my info to the spreadsheet later on today.

I'd like to do some 1v1's if you're interested tonight.