Suggest me a GREAT book!

just finished Ready Player One --- I'm still grinning from ear to ear.

oddly, the suggestions from Amazon for "similar" were not my cup of tea.

I'm up for anything as lomg as it's truly good.

Your suggestions welcomed!

Try Reamde (though I would be surprised if it didn't show up in Amazon's suggetions).

If you aren't necessarily looking for something with a similar theme, I just finished Leviathan Wakes and thought it was brilliant.

Along the same lines I would recommend Snowcrash, or Halting State. For a non related book I would recommend The Knight by Gene Wolfe.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Although all of his books are pretty great.

tanstaafl wrote:

If you aren't necessarily looking for something with a similar theme, I just finished Leviathan Wakes and thought it was brilliant.

+1s for Leviathan Wakes and Snowcrash. Loved both books. Halting State is sitting on my Pile of Unread Shame. If you want to dive deeper into cyberpunk / dystopian noir... Neuromancer by Gibson.

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke. It's an older "hard" sci-fi story but it felt very genuine, hopeful, unique (for its time) and I couldn't stop reading it.

Without a doubt, Neuromancer and Rendezvous with Rama are my two favorite books of all time. (Avoid the Rama sequels though! So terrible...)

+1 for Leviathan Wakes, and also The Long Price Quartet books by Daniel Abraham (same writer as Leviathan, different name), which has a fantastic, original take on magic, with well-written characters put in difficult moral conundrums.

-1000 for Reamde, which I found long and dull.

The Name of the Wind (the first book in the Kingkiller Chronicles). Very well written, I just finished the second one.

72 Hours was written by a fellow Goodjer and is an awesome book that should be mandatory reading for everyone on this site!

LeapingGnome wrote:

Also, we have a Book Recommendations thread.

This. There's 113 pages of great books.

Funny, I picked up Neuromancer on a whim in a second hand bookstore at least 15 years ago and never got around to reading it. In fact, I was able to pull it off my shelf just now. Guess I'll have to give it a go.

I would say just about anything from Cory Doctorow.

Edit:

Strewth wrote:

Funny, I picked up Neuromancer on a whim in a second hand bookstore at least 15 years ago and never got around to reading it. In fact, I was able to pull it off my shelf just now. Guess I'll have to give it a go.

Keep in mind how long ago it was written and compare it to modern day things.

KrazyTacoFO wrote:

72 Hours was written by a fellow Goodjer and is an awesome book that should be mandatory reading for everyone on this site!

That book is utter sh!t, the author's a tool, and I hear he uses the profits to buy puppies just to murder them.

It's been mentioned around here before but if you haven't read The Alienist go check that out now. I couldn't put it down, and I rarely finish what I start before getting distracte

trichy wrote:
KrazyTacoFO wrote:

72 Hours was written by a fellow Goodjer and is an awesome book that should be mandatory reading for everyone on this site!

That book is utter sh!t, the author's a tool, and I hear he uses the profits to buy puppies just to murder them.

Totally not true.

He uses the profits to pay for the supercar he drives while stealing the puppies. Check your facts (like the author would)!

John Varley's Titan series.

Lent wrote:

John Varley's Titan series.

Heh, I'm going through the Hugo winners and just picked this one up myself.

KrazyTacoFO wrote:

72 Hours was written by a fellow Goodjer and is an awesome book that should be mandatory reading for everyone on this site!

I can second this one.

Stele wrote:
LeapingGnome wrote:

Also, we have a Book Recommendations thread.

This. There's 113 pages of great books.

+1

trichy wrote:
KrazyTacoFO wrote:

72 Hours was written by a fellow Goodjer and is an awesome book that should be mandatory reading for everyone on this site!

That book is utter sh!t, the author's a tool, and I hear he uses the profits to buy puppies just to murder them.

You had me at tool.

Souls in the Great Machine, by Sean Mcmullen.

Flashman, by George Macdonald Fraser.

Trainspotting, by Irvine Welsh.

Anno Dracula, by Kim Newman.

I read this book a while back about a blonde on a horse and a dwarf with a spider. It's called Game of Ice and Dragons: Crow Storm, I think. By George R. R. Tolkien.