Aquarium and Fish - Catch all Fresh & Salt water

Pages

I mentioned that my fish tank finally cycled in the "Random thing you love right now thread" and people seemed interested in talking fish.

Lets talk about fish!

IMAGE(http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/6165/ddp1721.jpg)
*Above photo is not of my fish tank*

Wheeeee

I don't have any tanks now, but this is a favorite on my list of old man hobbies.

Edit: the photo loaded! You have discus! That's commitment.

After a long hiatus of having an aquarium I decided to set-up my old aquarium after my daughter (11 month old) got really excited at the Vancouver Aquarium.

I thought I had the tank cycled and went out and bought three guppies (male). The tank finished cycling yesterday and now we have 6 guppies. Soon I plan on getting a couple panda cory's to hangout on the bottom of the tank. Once I know the tank is stable.

After I had a bit of trouble getting the cycle to finish on the tank (I was impatient) I did some reading and learned about the fishless cycle using ammonia. I now have my other 10 gallon tank set-up and am trying out this new method. So far I have the nitrates spiked and hope to have it go down soon. The question is do I have two tanks… seems like so much effort not to go to the trouble.

clover wrote:

Wheeeee

I don't have any tanks now, but this is a favorite on my list of old man hobbies.

Edit: the photo loaded! You have discus! That's commitment.

no no no, not my tank. Just a nice photo of a nice fish tank. Lol I am no where near that kind of set-up yet.

Some day I will do a salt water aquarium. Doing that and getting an iguana are my two dreams. Good luck with the tank, and keep us posted!

I just recently started a nano tank (9 gallon Eheim Aquastlye) for plants and shrimp. The back looks a bit messy with the grid, but I'm trying to grow in a moss wall, so it just needs more time. It looks a bit more filled in back there now vs when this pic was taken:

IMAGE(http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq310/andysonlinepics/Aquarium/2012-01-18_zps2e63fa6d.jpg)

MannishBoy wrote:

I just recently started a nano tank (9 gallon Eheim Aquastlye) for plants and shrimp. The back looks a bit messy with the grid, but I'm trying to grow in a moss wall, so it just needs more time. It looks a bit more filled in back there now vs when this pic was taken:

IMAGE(Nice photo)

Once the moss has grown that will very stunning. Is that a certain type of stump you used?

Bonnonon wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:

I just recently started a nano tank (9 gallon Eheim Aquastlye) for plants and shrimp. The back looks a bit messy with the grid, but I'm trying to grow in a moss wall, so it just needs more time. It looks a bit more filled in back there now vs when this pic was taken:

IMAGE(Nice photo)

Once the moss has grown that will very stunning. Is that a certain type of stump you used?

One I found on the lake by my house Not really sure what type of tree it was.

I did make a mistake in getting it to fit in the tank. The front left area where I cut a root off looks a little too abrupt and unnatural. Still bothers me to look at.

I don't seem to have any images of my shrimp online, but the shrimp that are in there (and breeding) are pumpkin neocardinia.

Bonnonon wrote:

Lets talk about fish!... Discus!

FTFY *rimshot*

Currently I have a 5G nano cube salt tank set up, with several pounds of live rock. No fish in there right now, but I've been having fun watching all of the invertebrates skitter about. I've seen isopods, bristle worms, feather dusters, and, to my delight, several little sea stars, hooray!

Puce Moose wrote:
Bonnonon wrote:

Lets talk about fish!... Discus!

FTFY *rimshot*

Currently I have a 5G nano cube salt tank set up, with several pounds of live rock. No fish in there right now, but I've been having fun watching all of the invertebrates skitter about. I've seen isopods, bristle worms, feather dusters, and, to my delight, several little sea stars, hooray!

How long have you had it set up? I was always told that a saltwater tank needed to be at least 30G to keep the chemistry stable, but a little cube would be rad. Pics!

clover wrote:

How long have you had it set up? I was always told that a saltwater tank needed to be at least 30G to keep the chemistry stable, but a little cube would be rad. Pics!

That's not true about the size. However, the smaller the tank, the harder it is to keep stable due to minor things turning major much faster because there's less of a buffer. For instance, if a heater sticks, it will kill stuff much faster because the temps in a smaller volume of water will go up much faster than on a big tank.

Live rock/sand can help, though. Similar to how plants help in freshwater to some degree if you can get them balanced themselves.

I had a 90g Malawi Cichlid tank, 44g freshwater community tank, a 30g Salt, a 10g Salt Nano, and some misc 10g and 20L fry tanks before the time commitment was to much for me with a young family and everything came down.

Just recently I resurrected the 44g and a 10g for the kids. We have some barbs and tetras and a frog. I also have a 200g sitting in my garage that I'd love to turn into a reef someday. Definitely a hobby I hope to get back into.

I was able to find a few pics from the 10g, I'll have to share more if i can find them.

IMAGE(http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x340/clever_id/Fish/100_2366_zps8a1a00ab.jpg)

IMAGE(http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x340/clever_id/Fish/100_2367_zps26e2abc7.jpg)

IMAGE(http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x340/clever_id/Fish/100_2368_zps367c78d2.jpg)

IMAGE(http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x340/clever_id/Fish/100_2241_zpsc6db2f8c.jpg)

IMAGE(http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x340/clever_id/Fish/100_2242_zps20967627.jpg)

IMAGE(http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x340/clever_id/Fish/100_2244_zpse7aafd9b.jpg)

MannishBoy wrote:
Bonnonon wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:

I just recently started a nano tank (9 gallon Eheim Aquastlye) for plants and shrimp. The back looks a bit messy with the grid, but I'm trying to grow in a moss wall, so it just needs more time. It looks a bit more filled in back there now vs when this pic was taken:

IMAGE(Nice photo)

Once the moss has grown that will very stunning. Is that a certain type of stump you used?

One I found on the lake by my house Not really sure what type of tree it was.

I did make a mistake in getting it to fit in the tank. The front left area where I cut a root off looks a little too abrupt and unnatural. Still bothers me to look at.

I don't seem to have any images of my shrimp online, but the shrimp that are in there (and breeding) are pumpkin neocardinia.

Why not pile up some rock to cover the cut? %@ and why did you have to point it out. Glass shattered!

Puce Moose wrote:
Bonnonon wrote:

Lets talk about fish!... Discus!

FTFY *rimshot*

Currently I have a 5G nano cube salt tank set up, with several pounds of live rock. No fish in there right now, but I've been having fun watching all of the invertebrates skitter about. I've seen isopods, bristle worms, feather dusters, and, to my delight, several little sea stars, hooray!

That sounds very interesting. I never thought about nano cubes before, but now...

clever id wrote:

I had a 90g Malawi Cichlid tank, 44g freshwater community tank, a 30g Salt, a 10g Salt Nano, and some misc 10g and 20L fry tanks before the time commitment was to much for me with a young family and everything came down.

Just recently I resurrected the 44g and a 10g for the kids. We have some barbs and tetras and a frog. I also have a 200g sitting in my garage that I'd love to turn into a reef someday. Definitely a hobby I hope to get back into.

I was able to find a few pics from the 10g, I'll have to share more if i can find them.

Dang. Next tank set-up I need to try salt water out. underwater life in salt water seems to be way more diverse.

Clever id, that sounds like my history. Used to have Malawian cichlids in a 75g, plus a 45g salt tank, plus a 10g and a 20g with breeding dwarf cichlids and the associated fry tanks. Shut them down when I moved 12 years ago. Got married, etc.

Just got the itch again, and decided to just go small this time.

I don't have any tanks anymore, but here's a pic of my saltwater 55g I had going for a while. Fish tanks are great tv for cats.
IMAGE(https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-eCprNwCMB88/T1K5frhYLQI/AAAAAAAAB6Y/QtNW1CLwqMg/s976/DSC00895.JPG)

more pics

Bonnonon wrote:

Why not pile up some rock to cover the cut? %@ and why did you have to point it out. Glass shattered!

Rock up there throw off the balance of the look. I tried. I also tried to bury the stump a bit, but didn't want to disturb the plants again.

Dang. Next tank set-up I need to try salt water out. underwater life in salt water seems to be way more diverse.

Salt was not my thing. I had as much fun with freshwater, especially when I start doing planted tanks, as I did with salt. And freshwater is much cheaper.

Not that I don't like to look at reef tanks. I just personally don't have any more fun with them. YMMV.

I'm glad other people do them, though

Bonnonon wrote:

Dang. Next tank set-up I need to try salt water out. underwater life in salt water seems to be way more diverse.

Coral, coral, coral. There are some interesting FW inverts out there as well.

I always wanted to do a killifish tank, and I'm a sucker for ecosystem tanks. I always though a cold water salt tank would be cool (HA), but the cost of chilling wasn't something I was interested in.

MannishBoy wrote:

Just got the itch again, and decided to just go small this time.

Yeah, small setups are nice for both time and money.

I do enjoy a fish tank. But I am not sure if I am up for getting a new one any time soon. Time being, I will enjoy photos in this thread.

I raised some turtles for about 10 years, that I ended up donating to a pet shop. Those things are a lot of work.

clover wrote:
Puce Moose wrote:
Bonnonon wrote:

Lets talk about fish!... Discus!

FTFY *rimshot*

Currently I have a 5G nano cube salt tank set up, with several pounds of live rock. No fish in there right now, but I've been having fun watching all of the invertebrates skitter about. I've seen isopods, bristle worms, feather dusters, and, to my delight, several little sea stars, hooray!

How long have you had it set up? I was always told that a saltwater tank needed to be at least 30G to keep the chemistry stable, but a little cube would be rad. Pics!

I don't think I have any pics of it, strangely enough. It's been established for about two years. I've done really ridiculously low-maintenance on it; check the salt level every few weeks, add filtered water, and toss in some fish flakes every now and then. I had an awesome moment where I saw a bristle worm grab a flake and fold that sucker in half as it began to chow down; pretty great stuff. I haven't checked any chemistry beyond temp or salinity in at least two years. The live rock keeps keepin' on, though, and I saw a small sea star scooting around, scouring the glass just two days ago.

Prior to this little tank, I had a 54G bowflex that had a nice variety of beasties. My pride and joy, though, were the cowfish; I've heard various aqua-enthusiasts nearly explode in indignation over keeping such a beast, but I loved their personality, and, well, I've never had one poison my tank despite stirring, powerfully-footnoted missives by others to the contrary.

Trumpy, my cowfish homey, (kept him for 3 years, though he was but a tot in this image), sorely missed:

IMAGE(http://www.pucemoose.com/pics/trump.jpg)

I also like this shot, where my clownfish was checking out the Trumpster:

IMAGE(http://www.pucemoose.com/pics/cow4.jpg)

One of the other awesome things about cowfish is that they will actually *spit* at you. If you don't feed them when they expect to be fed, they can (and will) spit water at you when you open the hood. They get pissed. If that doesn't make you love a fish, I don't know what will.

I keep a 20 gallon freshwater.
I have had it for about fifteen years.
Currently it's in my Son's room with four rosy barbs in it, and a bushy nose pleco.

I've learned over the years:

Not to bother with the water chemistry too much. I'm lucky, our tapwater PH is OK, and some stress coat gets the chloromine out. I stopped mucking with all of the chemicals which cause birth defects in your future children a long time ago and my fish still live a long time. if they die, it's usually me not caring for the tank.

Keep it clean or it becomes a health hazard and an eyesore, which is the opposite of what it's supposed to be.

Anything that your kids "help you" with, including cleaning the tank, takes four times as long.

Yet another thread that hits me right in the face. I got my nickname years ago when working at a fish store before getting a "real job". I currently have three tanks, 30g, 65g and 75g. None have been set up since hurricane Ike came through Houston. I have not had the desire to set them back up after watching everything slowly die while without power for 14 days. When set up the 75 and 65 were both Tanganyika Cichlid shell dweller tanks. I used the 30 as a hospital/breeding tank. I have done everything from live plants to Malawi cichlids to angel fish. I am in the process of setting up the 75 as a rock/shell dweller tank again.

I have pondered salt extensively, but have never pulled the proverbial trigger. I was able to live vicariously through friend who had 58g and 200g reef tanks. Between them and working at the shop, I have a bit of salt knowledge, but have not used it in years so it is fairly rusty.

fishdude wrote:

I have not had the desire to set them back up after watching everything slowly die while without power for 14 days.

Ugh, that most have been rough.

Same thing happened to Yellek's fish. 4 days without power in a winter storm. No battery-powered heaters.

Yes. Many of the fish had been in the tanks for years. Some of them I have not seen another in a store since I had mine.

One good thing about working at the shop is I learned good, long term care habits. Biggest thing I can tell anyone is there is no such thing as too much filtration. Water changes are important as well, but be careful not to change so much you cycle your tank.

Yeah, that was when I lost angelfish that I had raised from tiny dime size babies for around 6-7 years I think. I think that was the year I tried heating water on the grill outside and floating it in 2 liter bottles in the tank to keep it warm. Finally gave up.

I had the exact opposite. September in Houston. Still was in the mid to high 90's. At those temps the oxygen goes away fast. Tried doing water changes to help, but that started a cycle with warm water. Most died quickly in the warm ammonia bloom. The heartier fish were not so lucky.

I miss my Butterkofferi

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tila...

Any time I read threads like this I have to resist the urge to go buy a huge tank and fill it with a bunch of Butterkofferi...

I never thought about what would happen in a power outage... sorry to hear about both your fish. on a happier note... welcome to GWJ's Fishdude! or gamerswithpensions.com if you wish to use the redirect.

Bonnonon wrote:

or gamerswithpensions.com if you wish to use the redirect.

Ha! That's the first time I've seen that. Awesome.

Thanks. A typical power outage is not an issue for most tanks. A well circulated/filtered tank could go a couple of days without power. The big issue is temperature. I wish mine had been cold. I have a generator and could have run a typical aquarium heater. Hot is the bad one. Not much you can do. Saltwater is a whole different story. Fish or reef. Fish are a little easier, but a reef would be toast pretty quick. My friends with the 200 had a standby generator for their house. Their 200 had a chiller and somewhere around 10k worth of rock and invertebrates. The generator cost less than the tank setup!

How difficult is it to keep a saltwater tank going? Can a pump from a freshwater setup be used?

I ask because our red devil seems not long for this world and when she finally goes we'll restock the tank (30 gallon breeder) with an array of little creatures.

I'd love to have corals but I'm just not sure if we'd be getting in over our heads.

Pages