Steam Winter Sale 2012 - Seriously Guys, It Was Over Two Months Ago! Move Along!

So you know that creepy weird guy who's never played Plants vs. Zombies? That was me.

Burnt Toast didn't judge me though, he just smiled benevolently, told me it would be OK, and dropped PvZ was in my inbox.

Thank you good sir!

In fact, with the partial exception of Orcs Must Die, I've never even played a tower defence game, so PvZ is a double-excellent gift

So sad that my 360 red ringed on me when I bought and just started Mark of the Ninja. I love the game but I just can't justify to my wife to buy it again

Men of War Assault Squad is up for sale. Highly recommended for a fun, tactical WW2 game.

Is there someone in the United States who would like to help me out importing Civ V GOTY and Gods and Kings?

Now seems to be the time to grab them, but they are nearly twice the price here.

(Happy to get Gods and Kings directly on Steam by the way, GMG not worth the hassle for a dollar).

Wow, did not expect Far Cry 3 to get a sale. I'll recommend it for the gameplay and hunting elements. The story is pretty average but the actual gameplay will definitely keep you entertained.

Jarpy wrote:

Is there someone in the United States who would like to help me out importing Civ V GOTY and Gods and Kings?

Now seems to be the time to grab them, but they are nearly twice the price here.

(Happy to get Gods and Kings directly on Steam by the way, GMG not worth the hassle for a dollar).

Can do. I'll send you a friend request.

Prozac wrote:
Jarpy wrote:

Is there someone in the United States who would like to help me out importing Civ V GOTY and Gods and Kings?

Now seems to be the time to grab them, but they are nearly twice the price here.

(Happy to get Gods and Kings directly on Steam by the way, GMG not worth the hassle for a dollar).

FYI, using a VPN can get you the US price on GMG. $4.49 instead of $7.72.

Nuts, I could have used that info to save myself a couple of bucks. Still, it $5.41 for me instead of $3.15 and it didn't seem like that big a deal. I still hate regional pricing, but when the difference is that small, I really can't complain too much.

Jarpy wrote:

Is there someone in the United States who would like to help me out importing Civ V GOTY and Gods and Kings?

Now seems to be the time to grab them, but they are nearly twice the price here.

(Happy to get Gods and Kings directly on Steam by the way, GMG not worth the hassle for a dollar).

FYI, using a VPN can get you the US price on GMG. $4.49 instead of $7.72.

After trade ins and credit for reviews it cost me $1.40US

mateofalcone wrote:
Stengah wrote:
omnipherous wrote:
Stengah wrote:
Kommissar wrote:

I was going to pick up Gods & Kings from Greenman gaming today but it seems like my Bank still doesn't trust them. Frankly it's a bit ridiculous that every time I want to buy a game from there I have to contact my bank. /annoyed

You might have better luck if you pay through paypal.

Absolutely, I always pay through Paypal at GMG. Apparently, banks have issues with it as it has 'gaming' in the URL, which can be linked heavily to gamlbing, a prime way of CC fraud. It's not really GMGs fault it seems.

I think that plus them being based overseas (in the UK) triggers some red flags for a lot of banks. I think GamersGate has the same problem, and they're based in Sweden.

My bank raised all kinds of flags because they're actually billing from Cyprus, which is an immediate red flag for fraud. I switched to PayPal and all's well.

Cyprus is where GoG.com's based, but I can't imagine why Greenman or GamersGate would bill from there. Are you sure it was one of those two and not GoG?
This post brought to you by the letter G.

I use VPN autoconnect 1.13. Nice easy free program. GMG seems to play nice with it so if they do go the regional pricing route I'll just take a trip to America when I need something off them.

Prozac wrote:

FYI, using a VPN can get you the US price on GMG. $4.49 instead of $7.72.

I tried that, but they wouldn't accept my Borderlinx address (suggested upthread). I don't think I'm very good at this.

Poppinfresh: Friend request accepted! Thanks so much for helping out. Paypal OK?

Prozac wrote:

I use VPN autoconnect 1.13. Nice easy free program. GMG seems to play nice with it so if they do go the regional pricing route I'll just take a trip to America when I need something off them.

Thanks Prozac. Handy to know.

BlackSabre wrote:

Wow, did not expect Far Cry 3 to get a sale. I'll recommend it for the gameplay and hunting elements. The story is pretty average but the actual gameplay will definitely keep you entertained.

. Don't you mean setting turtles on fire?

JohnKillo wrote:
BlackSabre wrote:

Wow, did not expect Far Cry 3 to get a sale. I'll recommend it for the gameplay and hunting elements. The story is pretty average but the actual gameplay will definitely keep you entertained.

. Don't you mean setting turtles on fire?

Gotta save some surprises

OMG Bonus thank you so much! I can't wait to start this game again! You sir are awesome!

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/tqJuF.jpg)

I played this in front of my 1 yr old nephew and he promptly started dancing.

Stengah wrote:
mateofalcone wrote:
Stengah wrote:
omnipherous wrote:
Stengah wrote:
Kommissar wrote:

I was going to pick up Gods & Kings from Greenman gaming today but it seems like my Bank still doesn't trust them. Frankly it's a bit ridiculous that every time I want to buy a game from there I have to contact my bank. /annoyed

You might have better luck if you pay through paypal.

Absolutely, I always pay through Paypal at GMG. Apparently, banks have issues with it as it has 'gaming' in the URL, which can be linked heavily to gamlbing, a prime way of CC fraud. It's not really GMGs fault it seems.

I think that plus them being based overseas (in the UK) triggers some red flags for a lot of banks. I think GamersGate has the same problem, and they're based in Sweden.

My bank raised all kinds of flags because they're actually billing from Cyprus, which is an immediate red flag for fraud. I switched to PayPal and all's well.

Cyprus is where GoG.com's based, but I can't imagine why Greenman or GamersGate would bill from there. Are you sure it was one of those two and not GoG?
This post brought to you by the letter G.

Yep, it was definitely a purchase from Greenman. The bank rep apparently has dealt with the problem before, and told me they use a billing service out of Cyprus sometimes. At least my purchase showed up from there. Regardless, Paypal to the rescue!

Jarpy wrote:
Prozac wrote:

FYI, using a VPN can get you the US price on GMG. $4.49 instead of $7.72.

I tried that, but they wouldn't accept my Borderlinx address (suggested upthread). I don't think I'm very good at this.

Poppinfresh: Friend request accepted! Thanks so much for helping out. Paypal OK?

Don't worry about it. Merry Christmas!

I had to give in on Gods and Kings for $3.15. That is just nuts.

Poppinfresh wrote:

Don't worry about it. Merry Christmas!

Holy Flying Fish Tacos Batman!

You don't know me from a bar of soap, and yet you are so generous. You are a bloody champion. "Rising to the Occasion" indeed!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I love this place. Is it um.. a bit dusty in here? My eyes feel funny.

<3

PWAlessi wrote:

I had to give in on Gods and Kings for $3.15. That is just nuts.

Same. And I've only put in an hour or two on Civ V, and I still couldn't resist...

Couldn't resist Anno 2070 on sale. That brings me up to an even 100 dollars spent on this sale.

Oh my, Far Cry 3 on sale...

Well, I'm waiting. I have received and gifted a TON of games so far in this sale, and I know Far Cry 3 will be cheaper later.

$75 and change so far! Curse you Gabe Newell!

I'm 50 some pages too late on this, but thanks Dyni for Dota 2!

Chumpy_McChump wrote:
PWAlessi wrote:

I had to give in on Gods and Kings for $3.15. That is just nuts.

Same. And I've only put in an hour or two on Civ V, and I still couldn't resist...

I've got about 6 hours in and I'm on only my second game. I couldn't get into it as much as previous Civ games or other strategy games. I hope that this expansion reinvigorates my interest in the game.

Ditto on the Civ V "meh". It looked like it could be good and the interface is just fantastic, but I kept wondering where all my fun Civ IV mechanics went. I got the GMG sale and activated it through Steam so I'm hoping to dive back in soon.

Wow, a single game of Civ takes me a lot longer than 6 hours! I do think that G&K has refined what was already a good game. I'm not yet convinced that it trumps Civ4, yet at the same time I can't go back to stacks o' doom.

I think I'm safe for today. Zero spent, which is almost a first during this sale :-S I'm not even going to partake in the usual summary at the end of the sale, I really don't want to know what the total is..

I'll be comparing it to Civ I, which will be interesting...

Has anyone taken a look at the steam forums over the course of the sale? It's really depressing to look at some threads. I usually stay away from any claims of gamers being 'entitled', but they really make it hard to not want to slap everyone.

You can use TunnelBear to grant yourself a US or UK IP address for free for regular web sessions (free accounts are 500MB/month). So just light up the VPN, buy the game from the site, disconnect, and you're set.

I tried GMG for Gods and Kings but just got a 404 error for some reason. Oh well.