PS+ Plus General PSN Game Talk

Stele wrote:
There's a Journey, flow, flower collection coming in 2 weeks. It also comes with soundtracks and a free month of PS+.

So if you're missing Journey and the others, then it's a fairly good deal. I too was waiting on a Journey digital sale, but this is also an interesting option.

I haven't played any of these games. This sounds like a good opportunity to pick them up for $10 each along with the soundtracks.

walterqchocobo wrote:
Stele wrote:
There's a Journey, flow, flower collection coming in 2 weeks. It also comes with soundtracks and a free month of PS+.

So if you're missing Journey and the others, then it's a fairly good deal. I too was waiting on a Journey digital sale, but this is also an interesting option.

I haven't played any of these games. This sounds like a good opportunity to pick them up for $10 each along with the soundtracks.

I already have them all save Flow, and that still sounds like a killer deal.

And thank you for the testimonial, mateo, I'll have to check out the game now. I wish this hobby was willing to reward the aspects you highlighted--symbol, theme, the potential for catharsis--over the other buzzwords you mentioned--non-linear gameplay, high-end graphics, etc.

SpacePPoliceman wrote:
walterqchocobo wrote:
Stele wrote:
There's a Journey, flow, flower collection coming in 2 weeks. It also comes with soundtracks and a free month of PS+.

So if you're missing Journey and the others, then it's a fairly good deal. I too was waiting on a Journey digital sale, but this is also an interesting option.

I haven't played any of these games. This sounds like a good opportunity to pick them up for $10 each along with the soundtracks.

I already have them all save Flow, and that still sounds like a killer deal.

And thank you for the testimonial, mateo, I'll have to check out the game now. I wish this hobby was willing to reward the aspects you highlighted--symbol, theme, the potential for catharsis--over the other buzzwords you mentioned--non-linear gameplay, high-end graphics, etc.

The more I think of it, the more I'm convinced that this game is going to receive the type of split that Heavy Rain did. That game had some problems (voice acting anyone?), but I remember hearing over and over that the game hit parents harder than others. There's no getting around the fact that this game falls into a similar category, and I know that there were a million things most people will never notice as they play that resonated with me. For instance, running from the monster when it's raging to a small room where I know it can't reach me. To some, that will be a forgettable game mechanic. Pay attention to the opening video of the game to get a better idea of what that felt like to me. Stuff like that is just everywhere, some blatant, some subtle. I guess it's almost like a little shared language or something.

Anyway, I certainly don't want to oversell the game, as I think a lot of what I got out of it may be impossible (thankfully) to achieve for a lot of people. There is absolutely no way for me to critique it objectively. With that said, I feel comfortable saying that I the time I spent playing this thing was 100% worth it.

Also, thanks for the kind words...now I'm going to get back to forgetting the monster

Surely someone posted video of this upcoming PSN game:

mateofalcone wrote:

The more I think of it, the more I'm convinced that this game is going to receive the type of split that Heavy Rain did. That game had some problems (voice acting anyone?), but I remember hearing over and over that the game hit parents harder than others. There's no getting around the fact that this game falls into a similar category, and I know that there were a million things most people will never notice as they play that resonated with me.

Thanks for sharing. I started playing Heavy Rain a few months ago, and I had to stop. I'd like to pick it up again, but as a parent, it was hitting some sensitive areas.

On another note, am I the only one excited that the PS + save storage is going from 150 megs to 1 gig? I'll finally be able to upload my SSX save!

Repost from the Vita thread.

I just published my first Sound Shapes level called, "It ain't purdy or easy". Let me know what you think.

There are no check points intentionally but there are only three screens. I thought the check points made it easy. Let me know.

There was a nice writeup on Joystiq regarding Papa & Yo today.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:
There was a nice writeup on Joystiq regarding Papa & Yo today.

Thanks for the pointer! It's worth noting that the article contains spoilers, which it's clear to point out up front.

On September 4th Borderlands will be added to the PS + instant game collection, just in time for the sequel.

Pity it doesn't contain the DLC. I have a 360 GOTY copy and a broken 360 so it would have been nice to replace it.

The DLC will be half off, but it's not the best deal they have done. Last summer, when Sony was handing out Plus subscriptions due to the network outage, they had Borderlands and all the DLC for $15, which I jumped on.

It's more interesting to me that we get Borderlands the same month the sequel comes out. Perhaps in October, there will be a deal on the older Assassin's Creed games? Just speculating.

Is Journey still new enough that there are people still playing it? I've thought of picking it up but time and budget for games is variable but typically low. I have a small but powerful pile but if there are sufficient people still playing to make the multiplayer experience, I might grab the bundle.

muraii wrote:
Is Journey still new enough that there are people still playing it? I've thought of picking it up but time and budget for games is variable but typically low. I have a small but powerful pile but if there are sufficient people still playing to make the multiplayer experience, I might grab the bundle.

It's incredible even without the multiplayer experience, but I'm guessing people are still playing it.

Journey just released on disc on Tues. So there's probably a ton of new people trying it this week.

All you need is one other person, so it isn't a problem. I played it through a couple times a month or so ago to get all the trophies and the white cloak, and there were lots of people playing. You will often find the white knight type guys who like to help people out. You can change your cloak to white after you find all the glyphs.

Thanks all. I don't do much online gaming, and had heard (primarily in gaming podcasts) concerns of low server populations even six months after a game's release.

Latest free games will be Double Dragon Neon and Scott Pilgrim. I'm looking forward to trying Scott Pilgrim, and Double Dragon was always a favorite of mine so no complaints there. Still going to wait for the Vita version of Jet Set Radio, too bad that isn't out this week.

Double Dragon Neon review from joystiq.

Sounds awesome except for the "online coop coming later" bit.

We got a thread for this game somewhere?

Stele wrote:
Double Dragon Neon review from joystiq.

Sounds awesome except for the "online coop coming later" bit.

We got a thread for this game somewhere? :?

Scott Pilgrim is also getting online play via DLC, supposedly soon, so it's somewhat par for the course to launch these sans online then add it later. Not sure how this got started, but there it is.

o_O Double Dragon Neon will be awesome! I can get my roommate to play that, probably.

Yeah I'm still waiting to buy that Krater game on Steam whenever they add coop. Of course that was supposed to release in Aug...

That's perfect. Most of my friends with Scott Pilgrim have it on PS3 while I bought it on Xbox. Now I can grab the DLC without having to buy the game again.

PlayStation + is great. Although my girlfriend hardly believes I'm not paying for all the free games from it.

Well, it's about $4 a month I guess, not half bad :).

DSGamer wrote:
I look at the systems I own (3DS, Vita, 360, PS3) and my 360 is now my least favorite system out of the bunch. I turn it on and see nothing but adds.

This really upsets me too. My 360 is still a much-loved system, but I pay for that Gold service, and I can't tell which box on my dashboard starts my damn game anymore. 90% of the real-estate is ads for crap I don't care about, and I have no way to opt out. This is precisely the reason I don't have cable television, and to see it happening now in my favorite online gaming service is disturbing.

Playstation Plus is having an interesting affect on my gaming ecosystem. I look at the systems I own (3DS, Vita, 360, PS3) and my 360 is now my least favorite system out of the bunch. I turn it on and see nothing but ads. I turn on my PS3 and I see ads for free or discounted stuff only if I go into the Playstation Store. PS+ has flipped the value proposition of the PS3 upside down and now I find myself wondering why I need the 360 instead of the other way around.

I've gotten enough free or cheap games lately, prefer the Sony 1st party games in general... my tether to the 360 is becoming weak.

EDIT: Properly spelled ads.

ahrezmendi wrote:
DSGamer wrote:
I look at the systems I own (3DS, Vita, 360, PS3) and my 360 is now my least favorite system out of the bunch. I turn it on and see nothing but adds.

This really upsets me too. My 360 is still a much-loved system, but I pay for that Gold service, and I can't tell which box on my dashboard starts my damn game anymore. 90% of the real-estate is ads for crap I don't care about, and I have no way to opt out. This is precisely the reason I don't have cable television, and to see it happening now in my favorite online gaming service is disturbing.

Well, and that's the rub as it pertains to PS+. PS+ is improving rapidly as a value. And it doesn't assault me with ads. If I enter the Playstation store I'll see ads for video games. You know, the things I turn on the system to play. At this point if it weren't for the fact that my nephew and little brother are on the 360 I would seriously consider letting gold lapse and maybe even selling the 360.

Does anybody know if you get access to the PS+ stuff that you had downloaded again if you re-subscribe after you've let it lapse?

iaintgotnopants wrote:
Does anybody know if you get access to the PS+ stuff that you had downloaded again if you re-subscribe after you've let it lapse?

If you're on the same account, then yup.

Tanglebones wrote:
iaintgotnopants wrote:
Does anybody know if you get access to the PS+ stuff that you had downloaded again if you re-subscribe after you've let it lapse?

If you're on the same account, then yup.

I've confirmed this personally. Considering this aspect of it, plus the constant notifications that you'll lose your games if you unsubscribe (i.e. no false advertising) I'm really impressed with the PS+ service.