PS+ Plus General PSN Game Talk

'The Walking Dead Episodes 1 and 2' free with PlayStation Plus

The Verge wrote:

Telltale Games' The Walking Dead Episodes 1 and 2 will be made available to PlayStation Plus users for free as part of the PlayStation 3 Instant Game Collection beginning August 7th.

Following the July 31st PlayStation Plus Update, PlayStation Plus members will receive a 20 percent discount on The Expendables 2 Video Game, scheduled to release on PSN for $11.99 at discount price.

PlayStation Plus members can also expect a 20 percent discount on Sound Shapes for PlayStation 3 and PS Vita, scheduled to release tomorrow at a discounted price of $11.99.

Users can also pre-order the upcoming PSN PLAY game Papo & Yo with the next August 7th update, at a 20 percent discount for all PlayStation Plus members.

A following update is planned for August 13th with additional Instant Game Collection titles expected.

They got me with the Steam Sale, and I started playing it. I may just wait and play it on the PS3. It seems like a good couch game.

I was waiting for the iPad version, but I think I'll pass that over for the free version

Also, definitely did not realize Sound Shapes was coming out this week. Woot!

Well, I was considering the Walking Dead game, and it looks like I now have no excuse not to grab it.

I know it's not a + sale, but that Atlus PSN sale goes through tomorrow... still debating Catherine for $19.99. It's down to $29.99 on Amazon and they buy it back for $10, so it's almost a wash if it turns out it's not my cup of tea. I see there's a full-game hour demo to PS+ users, but no demo at all for the rest of us.

And the pile is quite big after the Steam sale. So do I get it or wait until it hits $20 or $15 around Thanksgiving?

Stele wrote:

I know it's not a + sale, but that Atlus PSN sale goes through tomorrow... still debating Catherine for $19.99. It's down to $29.99 on Amazon and they buy it back for $10, so it's almost a wash if it turns out it's not my cup of tea. I see there's a full-game hour demo to PS+ users, but no demo at all for the rest of us.

And the pile is quite big after the Steam sale. So do I get it or wait until it hits $20 or $15 around Thanksgiving? :?

?? The first level was up as a demo when the game launched originally.

I'd definitely recommend it.

Jeesh, alright, Walking Dead seals it. Signing up tonight.

Well, I thought Catherine was worth buying a PS3 for. It's worth more than $20. It is a shame you apparently can't try a few puzzles. I really like the mechanics. Since you platinumed Dark Souls, I doubt you'll have any trouble with the difficulty.

Slumberland wrote:

Jeesh, alright, Walking Dead seals it. Signing up tonight.

Before this game library feature, I couldn't have cared less about PS+. Now? Oh yeah

I was on the fence about the Walking Dead, and now I get to try it. Yay!

I got the first one on 360, and have no real desire to play it through again...but free is free!

I upgraded last night, but can't for the life of me seem able to clear enough space off my old 40gb to download Infamous 2. Sad face.

I hear you. The Blu-Ray drive on my PS3 went bust a few months ago, and I took it as a sign to upgrade to the new model. Going from 80 gigs to 320 gigs was glorious.

Slumberland wrote:

I upgraded last night, but can't for the life of me seem able to clear enough space off my old 40gb to download Infamous 2. Sad face.

New hard drive?

Oh and for digital installs I think you need twice the space that the download size is because it needs the space to download the install file and then the install of the game. Something like that. I usually uninstall The Show's data to free up space.

Space IS an issue!

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Space IS an issue!

IMAGE(http://ablogoftwocities.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/17711072-17711076-large.jpg)

The f*ck did I do?

Happy Sound Shapes day, everyone!

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention, SpacePPoliceman, that McNulty thing was funny.

Man, they've been getting store updates out early lately. I can get behind this.

Thank you. It's kinda sad how often I have to look to him for guidance.

Love the Walking Dead deal, though I'm interested to see what happens to the content when my subscription expires at the end of this month (won't be renewing due to overwhelming pile). Since they're releasing it in such a way that the 1st episode is the Main Executable, and the rest of the episodes are DLC, I'm really curious to see if I'd need to purchase the 1st episode once my subscription expires just so that I can play the rest of the episodes.

The only way I can see it working is that the Main Executable is "free", but the first episode within that executable will be locked once I let my PS+ run out. Anyone have any insight on this?

Nevertheless, I'm excited to give this a play on Thursday! Hoping it's not too gruesome for my wife to play with me....

Ariskany Evan wrote:

Love the Walking Dead deal, though I'm interested to see what happens to the content when my subscription expires at the end of this month (won't be renewing due to overwhelming pile). Since they're releasing it in such a way that the 1st episode is the Main Executable, and the rest of the episodes are DLC, I'm really curious to see if I'd need to purchase the 1st episode once my subscription expires just so that I can play the rest of the episodes.

The only way I can see it working is that the Main Executable is "free", but the first episode within that executable will be locked once I let my PS+ run out. Anyone have any insight on this?

Nevertheless, I'm excited to give this a play on Thursday! Hoping it's not too gruesome for my wife to play with me....

So, I'm a little confused - if episodes 1, 2 unlock via PS+, will future episodes unlock via PS+ as well, or just those two?

I'm pretty sure it's just the first 2 for free if you have PS+. I think they're trying to hook people into buying the future episodes. It's a great strategy.

Fired up Sound Shapes really quick just to see what it was like. Finished the quick tutorial and can already tell it's gonna be amazing. Can't wait to play when I get home.

Edit: Wow, played through the first stage and this game is must plain magical. I have never experience a musical game like this.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Fired up Sound Shapes really quick just to see what it was like. Finished the quick tutorial and can already tell it's gonna be amazing. Can't wait to play when I get home.

Edit: Wow, played through the first stage and this game is must plain magical. I have never experience a musical game like this.

I have completed the first two albums and love it!! I think it plays better on the Vita mostly because headphones help draw me in even deeper.

Sadly, I'm not going to have time to boot up Sound Shapes until tomorrow, but glad to hear the positive impressions!

Speaking of Sound Shapes, any opinion on turning this into a PSN+ plus general PSN game discussion thread?

We don't really have one of those around here for some reason, and not too many PSN games can really support their own thread very well, ala Journey.

I'm sort of in a pickle as to where to post about stuff like this, so I vote making the thread a PSN+plus thread.

I predict I'll have a lot to say about Papa y Yo. Also, I vote we talk about the crossplay stuff here, too. There will be a larger pool of people who can join in on the discussion.

Ariskany Evan wrote:

The only way I can see it working is that the Main Executable is "free", but the first episode within that executable will be locked once I let my PS+ run out. Anyone have any insight on this?

PS+ "free" games are only playable while you are a subscriber. So, if you subscription expires, so does your access to episodes 1 & 2. Any potential access to future episodes is a moot point.

Ok, I changed the thread title. Let's also use this for general discussion of PSN games that might not need their own thread.

Jamull99 wrote:

I have completed the first two albums and love it!! I think it plays better on the Vita mostly because headphones help draw me in even deeper.

Yeah, I'm playing it with headphones and the Vita to start out with. Fortunately, the Vita has just enough umph to power my nice headphones.

The Jim Guthrie stuff is fantastic. It's cool to be even more immersed in the sounds he does than in Sword and Sworcery. The game definitely makes you feel like a part of the music the whole time. I love the coffee slurp sample!

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

I love the coffee slurp sample!

this.