NFL 2012 Super Bowl Thread

Kush15 wrote:
S0LIDARITY wrote:

I wasn't so hot on the commercials this year

Was it me, or did Doritos waste a s-ton of money for ad time this year. Those Doritos commercials were horrible.

I did chuckle when the bot girl punch the one dude into the wall and threw up a TD signal.

Kia and Hyundai both had a couple funny ones, but the commercials sucked. The worst was Audi's "Give your son an Audi for a night, and he'll commit borderline sexual assault on some girl at prom in front of all his classmates" ad. I mean, seriously, WTF was that one? If you drive a nice car, TAKE WHAT YOU WANT! THE GIRLS WILL SMILE!

TheGameguru wrote:

Just so then we could over analyze the awful 2 point play call..

The Ravens were offside on that play. Should have been a re-try from the 1.

The worst ad was GoDaddy.com.

"You call us sexist when we simply show hot women writhing around. Well, put this in your pipe and smoke it. A hot woman kissing a gross nerd, up close."

Idiots.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:

Kia and Hyundai both had a couple funny ones, but the commercials sucked. The worst was Audi's "Give your son an Audi for a night, and he'll commit borderline sexual assault on some girl at prom in front of all his classmates" ad. I mean, seriously, WTF was that one? If you drive a nice car, TAKE WHAT YOU WANT! THE GIRLS WILL SMILE!

Which is their target audience. Effective messaging FTW!

DSGamer wrote:

The worst ad was GoDaddy.com.

Maybe worst of this decade.

But not as bad as Phil Simms at the end of the game. First he said the Crabtree holding play was a good no call. Then after he was watching the replays he was confused. Then when Nantz asked him whether the Ravens should take a safety on the punt, he said no.

I think Stevie Wonder put a voodoo curse on his chair.

Kush15 wrote:

Apparently Jim Harbaugh pulled a Belichick and dodged the post-game media.

I feel that coaches that don't face the music after a loss shouldn't get the spotlight if they win. I sure he would have no problem talking to the media if they had won, and I'm almost positive John Harbaugh would have been there if he had lost.

As a Seahawks fan I'd much rather have Jim Harbaugh coaching the team than Pete Carroll, but christ he's like a child on the sidelines. I assume that like players such as Richard Sherman, it's much less annoying if his bitching and moaning about every call happens when he's coaching your favorite team.

I think the very end of the first Century 21 commercial was clever. It was where the agent casually stops the guy from taking a second bite of the hot dog that nearly killed him.

billt721 wrote:
Kush15 wrote:

Apparently Jim Harbaugh pulled a Belichick and dodged the post-game media.

I feel that coaches that don't face the music after a loss shouldn't get the spotlight if they win. I sure he would have no problem talking to the media if they had won, and I'm almost positive John Harbaugh would have been there if he had lost.

As a Seahawks fan I'd much rather have Jim Harbaugh coaching the team than Pete Carroll, but christ he's like a child on the sidelines. I assume that like players such as Richard Sherman, it's much less annoying if his bitching and moaning about every call happens when he's coaching your favorite team.

Harbaugh's a great coach (both of 'em!). But, I used to hate watching Jim Harbaugh's Stanford teams play Notre Dame because his demeanor was so embarrassing. Oh, and because they usually crushed ND.

Still, he really seems to get a lot from his players. Given his success, I bet the 49ers have given him a hell of a bathroom, though; maybe one that will match the one he got at Stanford.

I found that Taco Bell commercial pretty funny, but only because anyone that old would die after eating that much Taco Bell.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:

I thought the blatant hold on Crabtree was a disappointing end to an otherwise awesome game. Made worse by Simms babbling over and over (because hey if you say it enough times it becomes true) that it was a good non call. Granted it didnt effect the outcome of the game.. as stated by others the 49'ers lost because they didnt do enough to win.

I just would have liked to see the call get made because its the right thing to do.. as well as I would have loved the high drama of Flacco driving the Ravens down the field for the inevitable game winning FG as time expires.

Just so then we could over analyze the awful 2 point play call..

This. Didn't really care who won; I was rooting for the 49ers to score most of the game simply because I wanted an exciting game; the thing I find bothersome is the one thing I'm going to remember from this game was the refs didn't have the balls to call a blatant foul because they didn't want to be accused of deciding the game. Also, if you think it wasn't a penalty, Phil Simms thinks it was a good non-call. Phil Simms is always wrong.

The worst part is that that play will be the climax of this game's replay videos forevermore. A defensive back clearly grabbing and holding a receiver with both hands.

It not only robbed the 49ers of a potential dramatic 4th down game winning TD, but it robbed the Ravens of a clean, dramatic game winning defensive stop. Like John Mobley. Like Mike Jones. How are you going to do that kind of sequence for a flagrant defensive hold? Generations of football fans with no investment in either team will watch that play in the highlight reel for years and ask, "how the hell is that not holding?"

Sh*tty way to end an unbelievable game.

Still furious at the 49ers for the sequence of playcalls that allowed them to be in that situation. You have 2nd and goal on the 5. Three plays, 5 yards, and the best offensive line in the game. Haloti Ngata sitting on the sidelines. You power run that ball to victory, period.

*Legion* wrote:
MilkmanDanimal wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:

I thought the blatant hold on Crabtree was a disappointing end to an otherwise awesome game. Made worse by Simms babbling over and over (because hey if you say it enough times it becomes true) that it was a good non call. Granted it didnt effect the outcome of the game.. as stated by others the 49'ers lost because they didnt do enough to win.

I just would have liked to see the call get made because its the right thing to do.. as well as I would have loved the high drama of Flacco driving the Ravens down the field for the inevitable game winning FG as time expires.

Just so then we could over analyze the awful 2 point play call..

This. Didn't really care who won; I was rooting for the 49ers to score most of the game simply because I wanted an exciting game; the thing I find bothersome is the one thing I'm going to remember from this game was the refs didn't have the balls to call a blatant foul because they didn't want to be accused of deciding the game. Also, if you think it wasn't a penalty, Phil Simms thinks it was a good non-call. Phil Simms is always wrong.

The worst part is that that play will be the climax of this game's replay videos forevermore. A defensive back clearly grabbing and holding a receiver with both hands.

It not only robbed the 49ers of a potential dramatic 4th down game winning TD, but it robbed the Ravens of a clean, dramatic game winning defensive stop. Like John Mobley. Like Mike Jones. How are you going to do that kind of sequence for a flagrant defensive hold? Generations of football fans with no investment in either team will watch that play in the highlight reel for years and ask, "how the hell is that not holding?"

Sh*tty way to end an unbelievable game.

A clean win? We're still talking about football, right? The only way any win is 'clean' is in the sense that sometimes players don't get caught.

*Legion* wrote:

Still furious at the 49ers for the sequence of playcalls that allowed them to be in that situation. You have 2nd and goal on the 5. Three plays, 5 yards, and the best offensive line in the game. Haloti Ngata sitting on the sidelines. You power run that ball to victory, period.

I watched the Superbowl with a friend who watches like 3 football games each year. He even noticed it was odd that they didn't try to run it in.

billt721 wrote:

A clean win? We're still talking about football, right? The only way any win is 'clean' is in the sense that sometimes players don't get caught.

You'll note if you re-read what I wrote above, I did not use the phrase "clean win" at all. The only thing I used the word "clean" to refer to was a single play, one that's going to live forever in the highlight reels.

S0LIDARITY wrote:
*Legion* wrote:

Still furious at the 49ers for the sequence of playcalls that allowed them to be in that situation. You have 2nd and goal on the 5. Three plays, 5 yards, and the best offensive line in the game. Haloti Ngata sitting on the sidelines. You power run that ball to victory, period.

I watched the Superbowl with a friend who watches like 3 football games each year. He even noticed it was odd that they didn't try to run it in.

It's not like Gore had just gashed that defense for a 33 yard run or anything.

That was a time to take a timeout to let Gore catch his breath (they subbed in LaMichael James on 1st down, after Gore's long run) and give Gore and the offensive line 4 chances to impose their will and power the ball into the endzone - hopefully burning up all of Baltimore's timeouts on the way in.

Or, at the very least, start that sequence with Gore on 2nd down and give him 3 chances. I wish they would have rested Gore and given him LaMichael James's 1st down carry too, though.

Let's think about overall strategy here: it seems clear to me that Baltimore decided to make Kaepernick hand off the ball on the zone read plays. They sent Suggs right at him, hitting him after the hand-off, nearly every time this play came up. Yes, they got gashed a bit up the middle, but I think they were counting on those plays not going as far as a very speedy QB out in the flats against CBs and deeper safeties.

I would suspect that someone who does an analysis will find Kaepernick gained most of his yardage on scrambles during pass plays (he did have one or two designed runs). I was a bit surprised that Baltimore was sending their edge-rushers after him so strongly rather than trying to do a better job containing him, but maybe they would rather he beat them on those running plays than throw it down field?

firesloth wrote:

Let's think about overall strategy here: it seems clear to me that Baltimore decided to make Kaepernick hand off the ball on the zone read plays. They sent Suggs right at him, hitting him after the hand-off, nearly every time this play came up. Yes, they got gashed a bit up the middle, but I think they were counting on those plays not going as far as a very speedy QB out in the flats against CBs and deeper safeties.

I would suspect that someone who does an analysis will find Kaepernick gained most of his yardage on scrambles during pass plays (he did have one or two designed runs). I was a bit surprised that Baltimore was sending their edge-rushers after him so strongly rather than trying to do a better job containing him, but maybe they would rather he beat them on those running plays than throw it down field?

The other affect of this is that Frank Gore was getting around 6 yards per carry. That's the biggest failure of the 49ers' gameplan, that they didn't just run the ball. They might have gotten in at the end of the game.

*Legion* wrote:

Still furious at the 49ers for the sequence of playcalls that allowed them to be in that situation. You have 2nd and goal on the 5. Three plays, 5 yards, and the best offensive line in the game. Haloti Ngata sitting on the sidelines. You power run that ball to victory, period.

Yep. And the timeout they blew on 3nd down. Kaep had clearly audibled into a run. As the ball is snapped you see him breaking left. Might have made it all the way in, if the snap had been in time.

Then they come out of the timeout with 2 more passes.

Also that 2nd and 5 pass to Crabtree. It's either helmet-to-helmet since they called it incomplete, or it's a catch and fumble out-of-bounds. Since they went with incomplete, should have been half the distance and first down. Here's a nice gif of the play:

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/Wl6NFpc.gif)

There were a couple big college games lost this year by teams inexplicably going away from the run, too. One was Bama - Texas A&M. I forget the other, but I think it was a bowl game. I just remember watching and thinking "Why aren't you still running? Did you not watch the Bama-A&M game?"

May have been LSU. Les Miles Les Milesed all over their chances in that game.

Yep also covered by Yahoo!

That article points out a pattern of behavior that I think may be responsible for much of the truly reprehensible behavior by man. There are only so many psychopaths, but damn near anyone can become convinced that their end goal is so obviously good that it justifies doing a lot of wrong along the way.

For example, I think this is basically the mindset behind 100% of voter fraud.

I think some of my biggest boo-boos in life have occurred when I felt like what I was doing was ultimately in the name of everyone having a good time, being fair, spreading the love around, etc.

firesloth wrote:

Let's think about overall strategy here: it seems clear to me that Baltimore decided to make Kaepernick hand off the ball on the zone read plays. They sent Suggs right at him, hitting him after the hand-off, nearly every time this play came up. Yes, they got gashed a bit up the middle, but I think they were counting on those plays not going as far as a very speedy QB out in the flats against CBs and deeper safeties.

I would suspect that someone who does an analysis will find Kaepernick gained most of his yardage on scrambles during pass plays (he did have one or two designed runs). I was a bit surprised that Baltimore was sending their edge-rushers after him so strongly rather than trying to do a better job containing him, but maybe they would rather he beat them on those running plays than throw it down field?

It would be interesting to watch the tape closely and break down the Ravens containment strategy. They were successful at keeping Kaepernick from running free, but they had little success at stopping anything else. The 49ers scored 29 points on offense, and with the LaMichael James fumble deep in Ravens territory, and the failed go-ahead touchdown from the 5, they left two more scoring opportunities on the field. Even with the slow start, the 49ers ramped up to gain 468 yards of offense.

Baltimore ran a lot of Cover 2 Zone and dared Kaepernick to make the perimeter throws between the corner and the safety. He obliged. Many of the 49ers biggest gains were on corner routes into that gap. Vernon Davis ran that pattern all night.

Special teams came through for Baltimore, because they quite probably don't win that game without the Jacoby Jones kick return deepening the hole that the 49ers had to climb out of. Once 60 minutes were over, the 49ers combined offense and defense had outperformed the Ravens combined offense and defense.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

For example, I think this is basically the mindset behind 100% of voter fraud.

Fun fact (P&C warning).

Enjoyed the game, but it was really odd to see San Francisco decide to show up after the power outage. Agreed about the blown call, as well as frustration at the final set of plays that put them in that position.

Makes you wonder why they didn't trot Mike Carey out there, who I would bet money had better ratings than Boger.

Maybe because it would make plain that the NFL only has one highly-performing African-American referee.

Also, and while this may be judgmental and unfair to everyone involved, my gut-level reaction to Boger on the field was that he was there for his southern voice more so than his officiating. They couldn't get that with their normal go-to black guy, Carey, the Californian.

*Legion* wrote:

Makes you wonder why they didn't trot Mike Carey out there, who I would bet money had better ratings than Boger.

Maybe because it would make plain that the NFL only has one highly-performing African-American referee.

Also, and while this may be judgmental and unfair to everyone involved, my gut-level reaction to Boger on the field was that he was there for his southern voice more so than his officiating. They couldn't get that with their normal go-to black guy, Carey, the Californian. :)

I blame Goodell. For the outage and any refereeing controversy. Hes a really easy scapegoat.

You already gave the example of how they could of called offsetting penalties and just re-ran the play.

The NFL could of just mandated this down to the refs and bluntly say "If its highly suspect and you can just put time back on the clock and re-run a down. DO IT!"

Also as for the very last play/punt of the game I wonder what the stats of trying to take the punt back vs fair catching and running some design trick play are.

jowner wrote:

Also as for the very last play/punt of the game I wonder what the stats of trying to take the punt back vs fair catching and running some design trick play are.

Depends on the field position, I'm sure. The kick was fielded at the 49ers 19 yard line, so the fair catch and running a play was not really viable in this situation. If holding penalties had been called on the safety play and moved the kick back, who knows?

*Legion* wrote:
jowner wrote:

Also as for the very last play/punt of the game I wonder what the stats of trying to take the punt back vs fair catching and running some design trick play are.

Depends on the field position, I'm sure. The kick was fielded at the 49ers 19 yard line, so the fair catch and running a play was not really viable in this situation. If holding penalties had been called on the safety play and moved the kick back, who knows?

Chris Kluwe pointed out that a holding penalty would have yielded 2 points, but it wouldn't have brought the ensuing kickoff back by 10 yards.

Baltimore ran a lot of Cover 2 Zone and dared Kaepernick to make the perimeter throws between the corner and the safety. He obliged. Many of the 49ers biggest gains were on corner routes into that gap. Vernon Davis ran that pattern all night.

And when the Ravens were in man, he was showing us why Ray Lewis is retiring...

The 49ers scored 29 points on offense, and with the LaMichael James fumble deep in Ravens territory, and the failed go-ahead touchdown from the 5, they left two more scoring opportunities on the field. Even with the slow start, the 49ers ramped up to gain 468 yards of offense.

Yep, they left scoring opportunities on the field, and they had a number of redzone trips that turned into FGs. The latter is in part because the Ravens' defense kept them from TDs. So, they really left points on the board.

They were successful at keeping Kaepernick from running free, but they had little success at stopping anything else.

...except scoring TDs in those redzone trips.

*Legion* wrote:
jowner wrote:

Also as for the very last play/punt of the game I wonder what the stats of trying to take the punt back vs fair catching and running some design trick play are.

Depends on the field position, I'm sure. The kick was fielded at the 49ers 19 yard line, so the fair catch and running a play was not really viable in this situation. If holding penalties had been called on the safety play and moved the kick back, who knows?

Holding would result in a safety, no penalty on the kickoff. Holding+Personal foul would have resulted in a penalty on the kickoff.

Realistically, that was a good no-call by the refs, because a flag would have:

1. Forced everyone to go to the rule book for guidance which would have extended the national nightmare that is Phil Simms.

2. Not changed the outcome of the play in any way.

3. Give more Simms time.

We should be thankful that there wasn't a flag. Because the other way is too horrible to contemplate.

Triple post for Simms hate?

I'll allow it.

Double post the first!

Double post the second!