Grand Theft Auto V

The Onion is a good comparison. GTA writers get several years to work on their material, and they still can't quite match what The Onion does every week.

Kid Charlemagne wrote:

I've also opened this crew up to folks from the Straight Dope message board; it's called the Perestroika VIP Club, and right now its got a total membership of "Me." I think you can request an invite into the club; post here or if the Social Club gives you the ability, mention in the invite that you're from GWJ and I'll invite you in.

So I sent a request on your club crew, also sent you a message, but figured it couldn't hurt to post here as well, you can add me on the PSN too if you'd like, it's bluedemon82384. Thanks

Looks like the map has leaked out all over the internet by this point - looks appropriately massive. I'm getting seriously overly-excited.

bluedemon wrote:
Kid Charlemagne wrote:

I've also opened this crew up to folks from the Straight Dope message board; it's called the Perestroika VIP Club, and right now its got a total membership of "Me." I think you can request an invite into the club; post here or if the Social Club gives you the ability, mention in the invite that you're from GWJ and I'll invite you in.

So I sent a request on your club crew, also sent you a message, but figured it couldn't hurt to post here as well, you can add me on the PSN too if you'd like, it's bluedemon82384. Thanks

I saw the invite request, and sent the invite back - you should be all set!

Okay, despite my past criticisms of IV and my caution about Rockstar's promises about their games in general (we fixed the shooting this time, we swear!), I am officially hyped about GTA V.

I would like to express my EXTREME distaste that, in my zeal to find a "bouncing up and down in excitement" gif on Google Image search, one of the FIRST THINGS I came across was fan-made Adventure Time porn.

Internet, I hate you.

EDIT: Here, perfect. A summation of my feelings with less than a week to go.

IMAGE(http://davidkanigan.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/funny-gif-corgi-jumping-ball.gif?w=600)

Okay, Dan Houser, you got one more chump to throw some money at you. This Polygon article really got my attention. I'm very curious now to see how the three character switching concept plays out.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/12/471...

Pre-ordered for 360.

Prederick wrote:

I would like to express my EXTREME distaste that, in my zeal to find a "bouncing up and down in excitement" gif on Google Image search, one of the FIRST THINGS I came across was fan-made Adventure Time porn.

Internet, I hate you.

EDIT: Here, perfect. A summation of my feelings with less than a week to go.

IMAGE(http://davidkanigan.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/funny-gif-corgi-jumping-ball.gif?w=600)

Today I was showing my students images of propaganda posters from the Spanish Civil War, and one of them that I discovered while scrolling through the results on the smart board in front of the class was most decidedly NOT closely related to the Spanish Civil War. Unless that war produced more gay sex novels than I am aware of.

So I decided to go ahead and preorder. Snagged it from the Microsoft Store so I could get the $20 in space bucks. They are claiming free release day delivery but we will see if they come through or not.

Prederick wrote:

I would like to express my EXTREME distaste that, in my zeal to find a "bouncing up and down in excitement" gif on Google Image search, one of the FIRST THINGS I came across was fan-made Adventure Time porn.

Internet, I hate you.

EDIT: Here, perfect. A summation of my feelings with less than a week to go.

IMAGE(http://davidkanigan.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/funny-gif-corgi-jumping-ball.gif?w=600)

My go to "I'm super excited for this thing" gif...IMAGE(http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h438/louiesminky/Excited/tumblr_luy4t3URrP1r050x5.gif)

EverythingsTentative wrote:

My go to "I'm super excited for this thing" gif...
IMAGE(http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h438/louiesminky/Excited/tumblr_luy4t3URrP1r050x5.gif)

Love it!

CptGlanton wrote:
Prederick wrote:

I would like to express my EXTREME distaste that, in my zeal to find a "bouncing up and down in excitement" gif on Google Image search, one of the FIRST THINGS I came across was fan-made Adventure Time porn.

Internet, I hate you.

EDIT: Here, perfect. A summation of my feelings with less than a week to go.

IMAGE(http://davidkanigan.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/funny-gif-corgi-jumping-ball.gif?w=600)

Today I was showing my students images of propaganda posters from the Spanish Civil War, and one of them that I discovered while scrolling through the results on the smart board in front of the class was most decidedly NOT closely related to the Spanish Civil War. Unless that war produced more gay sex novels than I am aware of.

"For Whom The Boner Tolls"

chaosmos wrote:
Rykin wrote:

So I decided to go ahead and preorder. Snagged it from the Microsoft Store so I could get the $20 in space bucks. They are claiming free release day delivery but we will see if they come through or not.

Dang, I missed that deal. I wonder if I can cancel my Amazon preorder and switcheroo...

If you pre-order from Best Buy you will get $20 in rewards points.

Rykin wrote:

So I decided to go ahead and preorder. Snagged it from the Microsoft Store so I could get the $20 in space bucks. They are claiming free release day delivery but we will see if they come through or not.

Dang, I missed that deal. I wonder if I can cancel my Amazon preorder and switcheroo...

EDIT: Yes. Yes, I can.

EverythingsTentative wrote:
chaosmos wrote:
Rykin wrote:

So I decided to go ahead and preorder. Snagged it from the Microsoft Store so I could get the $20 in space bucks. They are claiming free release day delivery but we will see if they come through or not.

Dang, I missed that deal. I wonder if I can cancel my Amazon preorder and switcheroo...

If you pre-order from Best Buy you will get $20 in rewards points.

Space bucks > reward points

EverythingsTentative wrote:
chaosmos wrote:
Rykin wrote:

So I decided to go ahead and preorder. Snagged it from the Microsoft Store so I could get the $20 in space bucks. They are claiming free release day delivery but we will see if they come through or not.

Dang, I missed that deal. I wonder if I can cancel my Amazon preorder and switcheroo...

If you pre-order from Best Buy you will get $20 in rewards points.

MS is also promising day of release delivery if you order before Monday. Although I'm a bit skeptical.

EDIT: Oh, sorry Rykin I didn't see you already pointed this out.

Just got an e-mail from Best Buy saying my game has shipped. And now....

IMAGE(http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h438/louiesminky/Excited/tumblr_luy4t3URrP1r050x5.gif)

EverythingsTentative wrote:

Just got an e-mail from Best Buy saying my game has shipped. And now....

IMAGE(http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h438/louiesminky/Excited/tumblr_luy4t3URrP1r050x5.gif)

I got got a similar notice from the Microsoft Store.

I've been playing through Lost and the Damned the past couple of days to get ready for GTA 5. Got to the mission "Buyers Market" where a drug deal goes bad and you end up in a huge shootout with dozens of cops. Surviving that is tough enough, but then you exit the building only to have every cop in town, helicopters, etc. on your butt. It's as close to impossible as I have seen in a very long time. If you die, you go all the way back to the beginning.

This is the part of gaming that drives me crazy. I like a bit of a challenge, but when a game is this difficult it is no longer fun. There was a mission like this in the main game that I never got past as well. This actually has me rethinking my decision to get GTA 5. Maybe I am just getting too old and gaming is passing me by. I don't know, but I know I am very frustrated right now!

simpilot wrote:

I've been playing through Lost and the Damned the past couple of days to get ready for GTA 5. Got to the mission "Buyers Market" where a drug deal goes bad and you end up in a huge shootout with dozens of cops. Surviving that is tough enough, but then you exit the building only to have every cop in town, helicopters, etc. on your butt. It's as close to impossible as I have seen in a very long time. If you die, you go all the way back to the beginning.

This is the part of gaming that drives me crazy. I like a bit of a challenge, but when a game is this difficult it is no longer fun. There was a mission like this in the main game that I never got past as well. This actually has me rethinking my decision to get GTA 5. Maybe I am just getting too old and gaming is passing me by. I don't know, but I know I am very frustrated right now!

GTA V has mid mission checkpoints and much improved shooting mechanics ala max payne 3.

Hey guys, I've been trying to avoid the hype on this game because I highly doubt I'll have enough time to play through 25% of what they appear to have planned. Unfortunately, after a few youtube videos, I am looking at picking it up.

But do you guys think it'll be worth it to wait until it comes out on PC or a next gen console? I don't really have any friends that my schedule allows me to play with currently, so I don't really have a preference. Just for someone who won't be playing this game more than 3-4 hours a week, I'm wondering if I'd get more enjoyment out of it on a different system.

I can't say for you, but waiting for the PC might be a good idea, if only because if V's mod community is half as robust as IV's is, well, I mean...

I'm probably in a similar boat as you, but I will be getting the 360 version, because I'm impatient and because I haven't been in on a good GWJ gaming night in AGES and GTA V and GTA Online sound like FANTASTIC outlets for that.

breander wrote:

GTA V has mid mission checkpoints and much improved shooting mechanics ala max payne 3.

Well, so they say. I'm as geeked for this as anyone, but R* does have a mild case of "Molyneux Syndrome", where the promises in the previews sound way cooler and better than the actual reality turns out to be.

I waited for Red Dead Redemption to come to PC for over a year. They haven't announced a PC version, so you may be waiting indefinitely. That said, I expect PC, PS4, and XB1 versions to show up late next year.

mateofalcone wrote:

I waited for Red Dead Redemption to come to PC for over a year. They haven't announced a PC version, so you may be waiting indefinitely. That said, I expect PC, PS4, and XB1 versions to show up late next year.

I know I'll break before that, guess its going to be a purchase for me.

Prederick wrote:
breander wrote:

GTA V has mid mission checkpoints and much improved shooting mechanics ala max payne 3.

Well, so they say. I'm as geeked for this as anyone, but R* does have a mild case of "Molyneux Syndrome", where the promises in the previews sound way cooler and better than the actual reality turns out to be.

Red Dead Redemption and The Ballad of Gay Tony both included said "mid mission checkpoints" and after completing both I'm pretty sure I can say they aren't pulling a Molyneux and that the checkpoints tend to be rather well placed. Haven't played Max Payne 3 so I can't speak to the checkpoints in it.

Prederick wrote:

I would like to express my EXTREME distaste that, in my zeal to find a "bouncing up and down in excitement" gif on Google Image search, one of the FIRST THINGS I came across was fan-made Adventure Time porn.

Internet, I hate you.

EDIT: Here, perfect. A summation of my feelings with less than a week to go.

IMAGE(http://davidkanigan.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/funny-gif-corgi-jumping-ball.gif?w=600)

/Starts searching google images

It was the shooting mechanics in Max Payne 3 that Rockstar claims to have brought to GTA V. I will be shocked if the gunplay in GTA V is half of MP3's, but just being 20% as good would be an improvement over GTA IV.

mateofalcone wrote:

I waited for Red Dead Redemption to come to PC for over a year. They haven't announced a PC version, so you may be waiting indefinitely. That said, I expect PC, PS4, and XB1 versions to show up late next year.

My understanding of RDR's situation re: PC version is that due to it's circuitous development cycle, the code was a real mess behind the scenes, making a PC port difficult. GTA 5 shouldn't have that issue, so I bet it will come out - all previous GTA (major) games have come to PC eventually, generally six or so months later.

I also think GTA 5 should take care of the mid-mission checkpoint issue - RDR and BoGT both had them, and the previews I've read about GTA 5 indicate that they're using them this time around too. If you're concerned, I'm sure it will be noted in reviews, as its a recurring criticism of GTA 4.

PC and PS4 configs found in GTA V code! Source

So Switzerland (and probably rest of Europe) game shops are breaking street dates which means people are getting early copies (including me).

I can say that the driving feels like a racing game (haven't played Midnight Club), the shooting feels like Max Payne 3, and there are checkpoints, and they are placed where they are needed. Playing on 360, I don't know about PS3, but it definitely looks jaw-droppingly gorgeous and the lighting is as good as that ICEnhancer mod and the deadendthrills shots. The game feels and plays great, a LOT better than GTA IV (never finished GTA IV, but I'll probably finish this one).

Looking forward to hearing your guys impressions on Tuesday!

Itsathief wrote:

So Switzerland (and probably rest of Europe) game shops are breaking street dates which means people are getting early copies (including me).

I can say that the driving feels like a racing game (haven't played Midnight Club), the shooting feels like Max Payne 3, and there are checkpoints, and they are placed where they are needed. Playing on 360, I don't know about PS3, but it definitely looks jaw-droppingly gorgeous and the lighting is as good as that ICEnhancer mod and the deadendthrills shots. The game feels and plays great, a LOT better than GTA IV (never finished GTA IV, but I'll probably finish this one).

Looking forward to hearing your guys impressions on Tuesday!

Is the only punishment for breaking street dates, "You may not get our next game"?