The Classic Video Game Players Thread

breander wrote:

Good Luck! I have been recently streaming on my twitch attempts to finish some of my old retro games that I never did.

Thanks! It'll be a tough yet most enjoyable - I think - endeavor. hehehe I'll check out your streams later

mrtomaytohead wrote:
brokenclavicle wrote:

NES
Metal Storm
The Guardian Legend

IMO those should be your top priority. TGL holds up for sure as I played it again and finally beat it for the first time about 3 years ago. I don't know about Metal Storm holding up, but I loved that game back in the day. It was really tough. I think the controls might feel a bit stiff now, though.

Agreed, TGL I played but did not finish back in the day. It was a rental. Metal Storm, on the other hand, was a used purchase that I simply loved and beat many times over. I just want to return to it as it was such a staple of my youth.

I was looking up Duck Tales 2 for the Game Boy. I never knew there was a sequel until a few months ago. I must have it!

On the subject of the Game Boy. I have the SP in my possession now. It's in good condition. The screen is very good! And the front light is more than adequate. Sure, the backlit version is superior, but the older model is still entirely playable. I'll be on the look out for the postman these next few days.

Metroid 2: The Return of Samus
R-Type: DX
Metroid Fusion
Metroid: Zero Mission
Pokemon Yellow
Pokemon Crystal

They're all inbound. I was looking at a few other titles, such as Kirby's Dreamland, and Gargoyle's Quest, but I had to draw the line somewhere, at least for this month.

A lot of those games are ones you can finish in an afternoon as long as you are in the zone. Sunset Riders was an SNES/Genesis game though. Also you should add Star Tropics to the NES section if you haven't played it before.

RnRClown wrote:

I'll be on the look out for the postman these next few days.

Metroid 2: The Return of Samus

Would love to hear impressions of Metroid 2. I played it without any help back in the day and it draaaaggged even for the game starved kid I was.

mrtomaytohead wrote:
RnRClown wrote:

I'll be on the look out for the postman these next few days.

Metroid 2: The Return of Samus

Would love to hear impressions of Metroid 2. I played it without any help back in the day and it draaaaggged even for the game starved kid I was.

This was my thoughts as well back in the day. I finished it and never looked back.

I think I just got stuck at one point. I progressed fairly quickly, but there was one point that I got totally stuck and needed to Spiderball every bit of the map to figure out where to go next.

I'd love a remake of that one.

ccesarano wrote:

I think I just got stuck at one point. I progressed fairly quickly, but there was one point that I got totally stuck and needed to Spiderball every bit of the map to figure out where to go next.

Yup. I remember doing that. Ugh!

mrtomaytohead wrote:
ccesarano wrote:

I think I just got stuck at one point. I progressed fairly quickly, but there was one point that I got totally stuck and needed to Spiderball every bit of the map to figure out where to go next.

Yup. I remember doing that. Ugh!

If only we had access to all the walkthroughs and crap like that we have now, rather than the $4,000,000 per minute* Nintendo, talk slowly, don't help lines of the past.

[size=10]*price subject to exaggeration.[/size]

So I have some beer, pizza and a copy of Zelda Ocarina of time for the gamecube a N64 game in which I will be playing on the Wii. Zeldaception! I will be streaming on my twitch channel in just a little while for anyone who wants to check it out. Ocarina is one of the games I never finished as I did not have a N64 growing up so I am trying to rectify that mistake. So don't expect me to be any good!

breander wrote:

So I have some beer, pizza and a copy of Zelda Ocarina of time for the gamecube a N64 game in which I will be playing on the Wii. Zeldaception! I will be streaming on my twitch channel in just a little while for anyone who wants to check it out. Ocarina is one of the games I never finished as I did not have a N64 growing up so I am trying to rectify that mistake. So don't expect me to be any good!

Don't worry, the game will more than make up for it

Last time I tried playing OoT I ended up getting lost and just couldn't figure out where to go after that. Which is weird because I had no issues back in the day even with some of the stuff you hear people cussing about online (Water Temple).

mrtomaytohead wrote:
ccesarano wrote:

I think I just got stuck at one point. I progressed fairly quickly, but there was one point that I got totally stuck and needed to Spiderball every bit of the map to figure out where to go next.

Yup. I remember doing that. Ugh!

I'm totally there! It's a freaking maze of a planet!

I had to swallow my pride at 18 metroids remaining and look up a map. To my shock I had missed out a lot of the power ups. I had missed the Varia Suit, two Energy Tanks, Spring Ball, and High Jump. Not to mention the only beam I had located was the Ice Beam. No wonder it felt more difficult than I had imagined it would be! The basic armor and energy pool was seeing me get beat up very quickly by Gamma Metroids!

Loving the Spazer Beam and the Plasma Beam. Can't decide which I prefer.

Rykin wrote:

Last time I tried playing OoT I ended up getting lost and just couldn't figure out where to go after that. Which is weird because I had no issues back in the day even with some of the stuff you hear people cussing about online (Water Temple).

Yeah I have been getting lost here and there but I have a guide downloaded to my tablet and people in my twitch chat have been helping out. I made it to the forest temple tonight and got frustrated and decided to stop there for the night.

Just finished Super Metroid for like the hundredth time. This game still holds up and is deserving of it place in my top five games of all time. I got stuck at one point when I couldn't remember where to go to get the grapple thing; which is funny because the first time I ever played this game I got stuck at this same point for a long time. Ended up finishing it in 4:24 with 89%. I have done both less than 3 hours and 100% in the past (just not in the same play-through).

Forgot how good some of the music was. Most of it really with the exception of the fart music in the final area.

Guys guys guys the RetroN 5 is available for preorder. $99 from Amazon with an October 31st release date. Might be a placeholder, I dunno.

Was just about to post that. Screw the Xbox One I am switching my pre-order over to this.

Spoiler:

Not really.

C'mon, we all know you're just ordering this one too.

Blind_Evil wrote:

Guys guys guys the RetroN 5 is available for preorder. $99 from Amazon with an October 31st release date. Might be a placeholder, I dunno.

There was a really nice review on the RetroN 3, but they all complained that many of the units had something defective like Genesis not working or NES ports not working.

It is also not 100% compatable with all games.

It is a great idea though. I do have a really old ColecoVision clone that came with NES style controllers and a keypad built in to the unit itself.

Yea some of the SNES stuff and a few Genesis titles just don't emulate well thanks to their use of custom DSP chips (i.e. the FX chip) and that is why I never broke down and got the RetroN 3. I would really like to start picking up NES games and a few Genesis games though. $100 would get me an NES2 though (the top loading one released after the SNES).

Rykin wrote:

Yea some of the SNES stuff and a few Genesis titles just don't emulate well thanks to their use of custom DSP chips (i.e. the FX chip) and that is why I never broke down and got the RetroN 3. I would really like to start picking up NES games and a few Genesis games though. $100 would get me an NES2 though (the top loading one released after the SNES).

I have one of these. My eBay bargain story. About 12 years ago, when I was 'restocking' my retro collection, I decided to dip into the 8bit scene that hadn't been so popular down here. C64s were everywhere, but you had to go into the city to get an NES.

So, this guy on eBay had no idea what he had. His kids were leaving home, cleared out their cupboard, and found this at the bottom, in an old cardboard box. He listed it on eBay, under 'other' in the console section. I asked him why it wasn't in retro, or NES listings, and he said he looked "but didn't see anything else that looked like it". I only found it by accident because I did a blanket search.

$20 later, and being the only bidder, it was mine. One of the highlights of my collection for sure.

Can't remember the last time I mentioned my NES collection, but I think I'm going to play some this weekend.

IMAGE(http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5526/nesq.jpg)

KrazyTacoFO wrote:

Can't remember the last time I mentioned my NES collection, but I think I'm going to play some this weekend.

IMAGE(http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5526/nesq.jpg)

Showoff!

Reminds me of my days having to alphabetize the shelves at GameStop.

People really don't wash their hands enough.

Heard about the Retron preorders but apparently you guys have covered it already.

Still have working NES, SNES, N64, and Gamecube that I keep in our guest room, with the old CRT TV. Not sure I really need that. But it seems like an interesting gadget.

breander wrote:
KrazyTacoFO wrote:

Can't remember the last time I mentioned my NES collection, but I think I'm going to play some this weekend.

IMAGE(http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5526/nesq.jpg)

Showoff! :P

That is a glorious collection.

This year my PS2 collection has grown substantially from 40 or so titles to this:

IMAGE(http://s24.postimg.org/xlg3laamp/IMG_4277.jpg)

IMAGE(http://s24.postimg.org/5k227l5ch/IMG_4278.jpg)

I think I have a reasonably complete PAL RPG set, along with a handful of the best NTSC exclusive RPGs too (some like Wild Arms Alter Code f are too crazy expensive). It's still slowly growing though as I'm still tempted by all sorts of other titles - like all those great PS2 platformers.

Long live the PS2 -and long live the simplicity of PAL PS2 boxes!

radaxian wrote:

This year my PS2 collection has grown substantially from 40 or so titles to this:

IMAGE(http://s24.postimg.org/xlg3laamp/IMG_4277.jpg)

IMAGE(http://s24.postimg.org/5k227l5ch/IMG_4278.jpg)

I think I have a reasonably complete PAL RPG set, along with a handful of the best NTSC exclusive RPGs too (some like Wild Arms Alter Code f are too crazy expensive). It's still slowly growing though as I'm still tempted by all sorts of other titles - like all those great PS2 platformers.

Long live the PS2 -and long live the simplicity of PAL PS2 boxes!

Nice collection!

I have to fix my damned PS2's (I had two). I still have plenty of games I never beat. Wild Arms Alter Code F among them!

Looks like the RetroN5 is now having a December 10th release date.

My Genesis collection stopped at about 115 games, but I have all the original boxes and instructions. In fact, I bought all of them from stores when the system was still around.

Anyhow, here is a photo of my kids room that some of you might appreciate. They were from some displays we had at Software Etc in the Woodbridge mall (in NJ) from the early 90's.

IMAGE(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43352521/CAM00317.jpg)

m0nk3yboy wrote:

Looks like the RetroN5 is now having a December 10th release date.

Hey, that's my b-day! Too bad I'd rather get my computer working right again, or a WiiU first.