Ninokuni: The Another World (Ghibli + Level 5 RPG) coming to PS3

Yeah, I really wouldn't buy a used console either, Blind_Evil. See if you can borrow someone's PS3 maybe? Play Journey first, then play this game.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Yeah, I really wouldn't buy a used console either, Blind_Evil. See if you can borrow someone's PS3 maybe? Play Journey first, then play this game.

I would most definitely play Ni No Kuni first. Journey seems fine and all, but if it were a potential system seller for me like Ni No Kuni, I wouldn't be in this predicament. I'd also want to play Demon's Souls, Tokyo Jungle, and 3D.Game Heroes before Journey.

I left all my gamer friends back in North Carolina, so borrowing a PS3 is out of the question.

Don't forget Valkyria Chronicles. I'd put that at the top of the list.

There are definitely some exclusives worth getting. Also, it means you can play a lot more PSP games on that shiny new Vita of yours! Since they aren't making any actual Vita games.

Really need to try this demo...

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Holy crap, it's almost January 22nd! I can't believe the game comes out in a week. I'm so happy that I pre-ordered that super duper edition. It was so long ago that I feel like I've got a free game coming to me.

Same here. It's like a gift from past me to future me. Wonder when it will actually arrive in the mail.

DSGamer wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Holy crap, it's almost January 22nd! I can't believe the game comes out in a week. I'm so happy that I pre-ordered that super duper edition. It was so long ago that I feel like I've got a free game coming to me.

Same here. It's like a gift from past me to future me. Wonder when it will actually arrive in the mail.

I'm wondering the same, but I'm glad The Cave is landing the same day. Will lessen the pain of not having it to play on Day 1.

shoptroll wrote:
DSGamer wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Holy crap, it's almost January 22nd! I can't believe the game comes out in a week. I'm so happy that I pre-ordered that super duper edition. It was so long ago that I feel like I've got a free game coming to me.

Same here. It's like a gift from past me to future me. Wonder when it will actually arrive in the mail.

I'm wondering the same, but I'm glad The Cave is landing the same day. Will lessen the pain of not having it to play on Day 1.

Yeah, I've got so much crap that I'm excited to play right now. I'll be cool waiting a few days as well. Well, at least until people on here start gushing about how good it is.

I hope that it will ship quickly! I got the super deluxe edition too!! Since I just finished Persona 3 Portable, this is gonna be my next big game to play. I've been holding off on Persona 4: Golden....but it is taunting me haha.

Blind_Evil wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Yeah, I really wouldn't buy a used console either, Blind_Evil. See if you can borrow someone's PS3 maybe? Play Journey first, then play this game.

I would most definitely play Ni No Kuni first. Journey seems fine and all, but if it were a potential system seller for me like Ni No Kuni, I wouldn't be in this predicament. I'd also want to play Demon's Souls, Tokyo Jungle, and 3D.Game Heroes before Journey.

I left all my gamer friends back in North Carolina, so borrowing a PS3 is out of the question.

The reason you play Journey first is because it takes 2-3 hours and it's no longer sitting on your pile.

Hmmm, I was just thinking about finally starting the Witcher 2 today, but perhaps I shall just tide myself over with some smaller stuff and get this right away. It's so pretty.

Minarchist wrote:

There are definitely some exclusives worth getting. Also, it means you can play a lot more PSP games on that shiny new Vita of yours! Since they aren't making any actual Vita games. ;)

Are you going to sit there and tell me that smoking burners like Earth Defense Force don't do it for you?

Spoiler:

I guess Sony figured, "People love us for securing a remake of a four year old game, why not stretch it to five?

RoughneckGeek wrote:

The reason you play Journey first is because it takes 2-3 hours and it's no longer sitting on your pile.

Don't lie to them. Your first run takes 2 hours.

And then you play it again... and again... and again...

Stele wrote:
RoughneckGeek wrote:

The reason you play Journey first is because it takes 2-3 hours and it's no longer sitting on your pile.

Don't lie to them. Your first run takes 2 hours.

And then you play it again... and again... and again... :D

You guys clearly don't know me!

I very rarely replay anything and a game's length has no effect on my desire to play it. On that note, the reviewer says it took him slightly longer than forty hours to finish Ni No Kuni, with the potential for up to eighty.

Oh my, you can keep playing after finishing the main question. Sweet!

I may have missed that fact before.

Blind_Evil wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Yeah, I really wouldn't buy a used console either, Blind_Evil. See if you can borrow someone's PS3 maybe? Play Journey first, then play this game.

I would most definitely play Ni No Kuni first. Journey seems fine and all, but if it were a potential system seller for me like Ni No Kuni, I wouldn't be in this predicament. I'd also want to play Demon's Souls, Tokyo Jungle, and 3D.Game Heroes before Journey.

I left all my gamer friends back in North Carolina, so borrowing a PS3 is out of the question.

Journey should definitely be higher on that list than Tokyo Jungle and 3D Dot Game Heroes. Won't say you're wrong about Demon's Souls though.

Played the demo, visually and audibly wondrous. And the combat system looks like it might haven enough depth in it to interest me, but just not sure if the story will keep me engaged for the full length of a JRPG...
I can enjoy a cute Studio Ghibli movie for two hours, not sure about 30 hours though..?
Does look exquisitely crafted though, tempted...

SixteenBlue wrote:

Journey should definitely be higher on that list than Tokyo Jungle and 3D Dot Game Heroes. Won't say you're wrong about Demon's Souls though.

Don't make me start clockin'!

Wellllll, crap. Didn't realize this came out next week! Looks like the pile is growing early this year

I did not pre-order, but some of my extended family got my Best Buy gift cards for X-mas and I figure I better use them before they go out of business... so I hope they have it Tuesday. I do not want to wait!!

Cheeto1016 wrote:

I did not pre-order, but some of my extended family got my Best Buy gift cards for X-mas and I figure I better use them before they go out of business... so I hope they have it Tuesday. I do not want to wait!!

You could always pre-order through the website and have it shipped to the store of your choice for pickup. No need for waiting!

Blind_Evil wrote:

First review I've seen is IGN's... 9.4/10. Fuuuuuuuudge.

Seeing a score like that for a JRPG is pretty dang rare.

That review makes Ni no Kuni sound like everything I've ever wanted in a game. Let's see:

- Old school RPG feel
- Pure hearted, kind hero
- Plot that emphasizes helping people with their problems instead of pure violence
- Gorgeous Studio Ghibli graphics
- Excellent soundtrack
- Pokemon-style creature collecting

So hyped.

Demyx wrote:

So hyped.

Me too! Let's high five for both being so awesome!

Demyx wrote:

That review makes Ni no Kuni sound like everything I've ever wanted in a game. Let's see:

- Old school RPG feel
- Pure hearted, kind hero
- Plot that emphasizes helping people with their problems instead of pure violence
- Gorgeous Studio Ghibli graphics
- Excellent soundtrack
- Pokemon-style creature collecting

So hyped.

I have fastidiously avoided spoilers, but it is very nice to have a short bullet-pointed list like this to look at and allow myself to get that "omg omg can't wait for new game" feeling that I so rarely get anymore.

I mean, I buy too many new games. But it's rare for a game to really generate that true anticipation and impatience that I used to experience frequently back in the 16- or 32-bit generations during my golden age of console rpg's.

Heck, over the last ten years, only a very few games have elicited that kind of anticipation, with the greatest one being Dragon Quest 8. I was so ridiculously hyped for that game for months leading up to its release -- and it not only met my expectations: it exceeded them.

I'm nowhere near hyped like that for Ni No Kuni, but it's had me checking the calendar far more frequently than I normally would.

...Is it the 22nd yet?!

This game is the right place and the right time for me.

I'm typically not much of a JRPG these days (loved them up through FFVII), but I'm keen on some light-hearted gaming at the moment. Coming from the pedigree of Level 5 and Ghibli doesn't hurt either.

So yeah, I'm pretty stoked too to dive back in after such a long hiatus (sans Jeanne d'Arc and Valkeria Chronicles).

Two problems come to mind that make me hesitant and I'm wondering if anyone has the goods in addressing them.

Save Points - Honestly this feels so archaic to me. I understand that you can save anywhere on the over-world map, but I'm more worried about dungeon crawling. Sometimes I just don't have an hour or more to sit down with a game and if I need to bail out of a dungeon a half hour in due to real life distractions, I imagine I'd be pretty frustrated. Is there any word on how long the stretches can be between save points?

Difficulty/Bosses - Okay, I'm just not a fan of bosses. The demo offers two scenarios both quick-pathing to bosses with little instruction on how to deal with them. Okay, that's fine. I imagine the full game will have a gentler learning curve, but at the same time I'm not interested in banging my head against the wall with them every 20 minutes either. I noticed at the start of the demo there was an Easy/Normal difficulty select and the perfect solution for me would be to play standard on Normal and perhaps flip over to Easy if I get stuck on a boss. This would be the best of both worlds for me as I'm not interested in push-over fights when playing the main game but don't want to get stuck on bosses. Anyone know if you can change difficulty on the fly?

I’ll likely pick up the game either way though.

Aaron D. wrote:

This game is the right place and the right time for me.

It *almost* is for me as well. Fire Emblem is shortly thereafter, which is bad. And I'm 60 hours into Persona 4 and would like to finish that before starting a new RPG. Otherwise I'm jacked.

Minarchist wrote:
Demyx wrote:

So hyped.

Me too! Let's high five for both being so awesome!

JRPG high fives require striking a pose and a five-minute cutscene involving dragons and meteors.

Demyx wrote:
Minarchist wrote:
Demyx wrote:

So hyped.

Me too! Let's high five for both being so awesome!

JRPG high fives require striking a pose and a five-minute cutscene involving dragons and meteors.

I don't have spiky hair anymore, either

Demyx wrote:
Minarchist wrote:
Demyx wrote:

So hyped.

Me too! Let's high five for both being so awesome!

JRPG high fives require striking a pose and a five-minute cutscene involving dragons and meteors.

I am SO on board for that today!