Visiting RTP / Cary, NC -- Mini S&T Thursday, January 31!

Yellek wrote:
LouZiffer wrote:

I spoke with Paleo this afternoon. He did pretty well with the phone interview. My first impression: I think he's a decent candidate for this area. We'll see how he does face to face.

I'm still a bit concerned about some car vandalism that I've heard about from other sources...

Woah, wait, is he interviewing with you? I'm so confused.

He's interviewing with all of us! How else does someone enter the fold of the North Carolina Goodjers?! Unless you think he can survive the... no... I can't even say it. No one has lived through that.

Wellllll, there was the one guy. He survived a whole 5 and a half days in the asylum.

Paleocon wrote:

I am a little concerned that the sound of the above reminds me of the "neighborhood interview" my family had to endure in 1972. Hmmm.

*sends a note back through time*

Spoiler:

Stupid racist assholes. YOU RUINED THE JOKE!

LouZiffer wrote:
Yellek wrote:
LouZiffer wrote:

I spoke with Paleo this afternoon. He did pretty well with the phone interview. My first impression: I think he's a decent candidate for this area. We'll see how he does face to face.

I'm still a bit concerned about some car vandalism that I've heard about from other sources...

Woah, wait, is he interviewing with you? I'm so confused.

He's interviewing with all of us! How else does someone enter the fold of the North Carolina Goodjers?! Unless you think he can survive the... no... I can't even say it. No one has lived through that.

Yeah those of us outside the triangle are like outcasts.

One day maybe!

LouZiffer wrote:
Paleocon wrote:

I am a little concerned that the sound of the above reminds me of the "neighborhood interview" my family had to endure in 1972. Hmmm.

*sends a note back through time*

Spoiler:

Stupid racist assholes. YOU RUINED THE JOKE!

That's okay I know how you folk feel about us carpetbaggers. I watch Justified.

Paleocon wrote:
LouZiffer wrote:
Paleocon wrote:

I am a little concerned that the sound of the above reminds me of the "neighborhood interview" my family had to endure in 1972. Hmmm.

*sends a note back through time*

Spoiler:

Stupid racist assholes. YOU RUINED THE JOKE!

That's okay I know how you folk feel about us carpetbaggers. I watch Justified.

We're all like Waldo's family. Collecting disability checks and aiming shotguns at marshals.

Quintin_Stone wrote:
Paleocon wrote:
LouZiffer wrote:
Paleocon wrote:

I am a little concerned that the sound of the above reminds me of the "neighborhood interview" my family had to endure in 1972. Hmmm.

*sends a note back through time*

Spoiler:

Stupid racist assholes. YOU RUINED THE JOKE!

That's okay I know how you folk feel about us carpetbaggers. I watch Justified.

We're all like Waldo's family. Collecting disability checks and aiming shotguns at marshals.

I figured. Got to watch myself in the hollers of Raleigh.

Paleocon wrote:

I figured. Got to watch myself in the hollers of Raleigh.

We just reckoned you was already pre-pared with yer shootin' irons.

Aetius wrote:
Paleocon wrote:

I figured. Got to watch myself in the hollers of Raleigh.

We just reckoned you was already pre-pared with yer shootin' irons. :)

On that note, I am a little concerned about my class three stuff. I have been looking up NC gun laws and it appears that class three stuff is up to the discretion of the local sheriff or law enforcement. Does that mean that I have to go through the whole inconvenient background process all over again to keep my suppressors?

Sorry, I just don't know.

Paleocon wrote:

On that note, I am a little concerned about my class three stuff. I have been looking up NC gun laws and it appears that class three stuff is up to the discretion of the local sheriff or law enforcement. Does that mean that I have to go through the whole inconvenient background process all over again to keep my suppressors?

Probably depends on the sheriff, as it really is at the sheriff's discretion. As I understand it, most of them simply won't sign the ATF form. There are people who use gun trusts to bypass that requirement for everything except fully automatic weapons - I do not know the full legal ramifications of that since I've never gone through the process.

Aetius wrote:
Paleocon wrote:

On that note, I am a little concerned about my class three stuff. I have been looking up NC gun laws and it appears that class three stuff is up to the discretion of the local sheriff or law enforcement. Does that mean that I have to go through the whole inconvenient background process all over again to keep my suppressors?

Probably depends on the sheriff, as it really is at the sheriff's discretion. As I understand it, most of them simply won't sign the ATF form. There are people who use gun trusts to bypass that requirement for everything except fully automatic weapons - I do not know the full legal ramifications of that since I've never gone through the process.

I'd call the sheriff of the county where you intend to live. To save you a bit of time, though the sheriff of Wake county says they'll sign for anyone who meets their requirements, as far as I know no one has. Durham county has signed some, but it's rare for them to. In general, the more rural you get, the better your chances. The sheriff can add whatever extra regulations they want to state and federal possession and transport laws.

EDIT: By the way, I'm saying this in addition to what Aetius has said because setting up a trust does seem to be the way to go in NC. From what I've read that won't cover you for machine guns, which have their own special treatment, but it'll work for other class 3 items such as suppressors if you've been licensed/permitted for them previously.

I would think that if I could get one in the People's Republic of Maryland, it should be pretty simple to transfer it to the free state of North Carolina, but the uncertainty is making me nervous.

Paleocon wrote:

I would think that if I could get one in the People's Republic of Maryland, it should be pretty simple to transfer it to the free state of North Carolina, but the uncertainty is making me nervous.

Our laws aren't less retarded - just different.

Okay bags are packed. Will be on my way after lunch.

Made it. Wow is that drive a long one.

Paleocon wrote:

Made it. Wow is that drive a long one.

Welcome to NC!

Yellek wrote:
Paleocon wrote:

Made it. Wow is that drive a long one.

Welcome to NC!

Thanks. I ended up going to the wrong Courtyard and had to circle around Durham until I could find an open wifi connection that would let me download my travel itinerary so I could get the correct address. Oh well.

Wish me luck on the interview.

Paleocon wrote:
Yellek wrote:
Paleocon wrote:

Made it. Wow is that drive a long one.

Welcome to NC!

Thanks. I ended up going to the wrong Courtyard and had to circle around Durham until I could find an open wifi connection that would let me download my travel itinerary so I could get the correct address. Oh well.

Wish me luck on the interview.

Paleocon wrote:
Yellek wrote:
Paleocon wrote:

Made it. Wow is that drive a long one.

Welcome to NC!

Thanks. I ended up going to the wrong Courtyard and had to circle around Durham until I could find an open wifi connection that would let me download my travel itinerary so I could get the correct address. Oh well.

Wish me luck on the interview.

Oops, glad you found it. Best of luck tomorrow!!

Paleocon wrote:
Yellek wrote:
Paleocon wrote:

Made it. Wow is that drive a long one.

Welcome to NC!

Thanks. I ended up going to the wrong Courtyard and had to circle around Durham until I could find an open wifi connection that would let me download my travel itinerary so I could get the correct address. Oh well.

Wish me luck on the interview.

Good luck!

Paleocon wrote:
Yellek wrote:
Paleocon wrote:

Made it. Wow is that drive a long one.

Welcome to NC!

Thanks. I ended up going to the wrong Courtyard and had to circle around Durham until I could find an open wifi connection that would let me download my travel itinerary so I could get the correct address. Oh well.

Wish me luck on the interview.

Good luck, man! Get plenty of rest tonight... those long drives can mess with your internal clock, even when traveling north/south.

Hey all goodjers in the NC area, post here if you haven't already and you want to come thursday. I'm about to PM our address and contact info for the mini S&T!

**edit: PMs sent. Let me know if I missed anyone.

merphle wrote:
Paleocon wrote:
Yellek wrote:
Paleocon wrote:

Made it. Wow is that drive a long one.

Welcome to NC!

Thanks. I ended up going to the wrong Courtyard and had to circle around Durham until I could find an open wifi connection that would let me download my travel itinerary so I could get the correct address. Oh well.

Wish me luck on the interview.

Good luck, man! Get plenty of rest tonight... those long drives can mess with your internal clock, even when traveling north/south.

Got to bed early and woke up in time to get a run in. Working on second cup of coffee presently. Should be okay with that.

I have to scope out a spot with Wi-Fi to camp out prior to the interview. I want to be overprepared for this.

edit: Okay. I'm holed up at a local Starbucks pretending to prepare, but mostly just stressing.

I just finished a run and coffee number one as well. Good luck. DO WORK SON!

Good luck!

Squee9 wrote:

I just finished a run and coffee number one as well. Good luck. DO WORK SON!

Looked up everyone's LinkedIn profile, reviewing interview questions typical for position, reviewing my resume to talk about the projects I have worked on, and figuring out more research on company. News crawler on company has been a little light recently, but I think I have enough to work with.

Still nervous as hell.

Hehe, bad news, Paleo: our furnace stopped working last night! I hope you brought warm nightclothes.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Hehe, bad news, Paleo: our furnace stopped working last night! I hope you brought warm nightclothes.

:|

Shorts and t-shirt, but I sleep hot anyway.

Don't let him scare you. There's an electric blanket in the guest room. And the basement still has heat until we get this fixed. (Hopefully today or tomorrow at the latest!)

Bet you guys are grateful for the home warranty...