Ascension (iOS) Gaming League (New Tourney starting Jan 14, 2013!)

Sent you a gamecenter invite Ranger Rick (I think). Looking forward to this weeks matchup!

Challenge sent to Dixie_Flatline!

challenge sent to thejustinbot (and we are already several turns in to game 1)

bigred wrote:
Chumpy_McChump wrote:
Sirjoe and I are in the last turn (literally; I just pushed it to his final turn) in our game two; I don't know if that will affect the pairings or not.

Sorry bout the confusion.

EDIT: We just finished, and he walloped me. :)

I don't think this affected round 7 but each round's match assignment is determined by ranking and who you have already played. Therefore, editing a previous round's score after the fact can technically hurt the tournament. I may have to rethink how scores are entered for the next tournament.

Does this mean our matchup changes? Or should Chumpy and I start our games?

No, continue challenging announced opponents...so yes, start your game

Clarkatello, just checked through my Gamecenter, and it looks we haven't had the pleasure as yet.

Friend invite sent to you, then you can invite me into the Ascension game.

Clarkatello, paging Clarkatello...

Challenge to Heartly7.

Is demonbox's game center tag really demonbox? I sent a friend request yesterday and another just now and they just disappear.

It's farktopia.

Why does it say demonbox in the sign up sheet? WHY??

Thanks.

Pacman wrote:
challenge sent to thejustinbot (and we are already several turns in to game 1)

I feel like I'm way behind in this one. Hoping to catch up on the back stretch.

LeapingGnome wrote:
Why does it say demonbox in the sign up sheet? WHY??

Thanks.

a) Under Gamecenter ID it says "farktopia" and b) I love that not only were we already GC friends, but we had an open game going.

Also, good job winning the first match already!

demonbox wrote:
LeapingGnome wrote:
Why does it say demonbox in the sign up sheet? WHY??

Thanks.

a) Under Gamecenter ID it says "farktopia" and b) I love that not only were we already GC friends, but we had an open game going.

Also, good job winning the first match already!

I didn't remember farktopia was you. :). And on the main 'players' tab it says demonbox, I never noticed the Swiss tab until now!

Nice games demonbox. How come you don't go for any of the deck thinners early on? I noticed it in both games, wonder if there is a strategy I'm missing!

thejustinbot wrote:
Pacman wrote:
challenge sent to thejustinbot (and we are already several turns in to game 1)

I feel like I'm way behind in this one. Hoping to catch up on the back stretch.

That's funny, because I felt like it was close, but your mechana advantage would put you ahead....

And I was right, justinbot wins the first game 77-75. I think I might have been able to win if I had chosen an apprentice rather than a militia to discard in my final turn, as I could have taken one of the Noxious Souls (and gotten the soul assassin bonus). Oh well, on to game 2!

In the second game I edged out thejustinbot 70-63. I went much more power focused than I usually like to, but it worked out almost perfectly for me. The soul assassins and the scrap flingers came up at just the right times for me, also seems like our card draw was monster heavy.

I've got a friend request acceptance from Clarkatello, but still name game request in Ascension.

How do you want me to play it bigred? Should I try sending the invite through Ascension?

m0nk3yboy wrote:
I've got a friend request acceptance from Clarkatello, but still name game request in Ascension.

How do you want me to play it bigred? Should I try sending the invite through Ascension?

Feel free to send the invite.

bigred wrote:
m0nk3yboy wrote:
I've got a friend request acceptance from Clarkatello, but still name game request in Ascension.

How do you want me to play it bigred? Should I try sending the invite through Ascension?

Feel free to send the invite.

Just shot one off (and sent an invite too).

Hey WolverineJon, it looks like you didn't actually end your last turn. You should check it on your end before you time out.

Well well, got my ass seriously whooped by Dixie_Flatline, who somehow managed to syphon 16+ (!) points from the pool in his last turn and ended the game just like that. Great games, sir, both of 'em!
And I thought I had a decent grip of the strategies, feeling pretty good about my performance so far…

bidred ran out of time on our first game.

Next invite sent.

Oilypenguin takes our first game 73-72. I made a mistake when the event changed on my last turn that cost me a point. Obviously that's not the be all of the match, but even so it warranted a moment of self-flagellation.

At one point the centre (sorry, center) row was all monsters and we both had to weigh our options. Oilypenguin was ahead I reckon and just managed to keep me behind him. So, back to "hope springs eternal" for our second game ...

LeapingGnome wrote:
Nice games demonbox. How come you don't go for any of the deck thinners early on? I noticed it in both games, wonder if there is a strategy I'm missing!

I generally have one of a few ways I lean- deck thinners being one strategy. No idea why I avoided them in these two games- but clearly it was to my detriment. Good games.

il dottore wrote:
Well well, got my ass seriously whooped by Dixie_Flatline, who somehow managed to syphon 16+ (!) points from the pool in his last turn and ended the game just like that. Great games, sir, both of 'em!
And I thought I had a decent grip of the strategies, feeling pretty good about my performance so far…

Excellent games, sir. You kept me on my toes, but I had a few lucky breaks, especially the first game where I acquired two Everblooms together in one very early round. After that, the rest of the game was making sure they stayed in play while I racked up the passive 2 honor/turn. I think with the second game, I just happened to draw enough power to kill Nemesis on the last turn, after which it was a matter of pulling Unchained Fates and couple of Minotaurs out of the Void to squeeze out all the honor I could.

WolverineJon timed out on our first game, and the second invite has been sent.

sirjoekcb wrote:
WolverineJon timed out on our first game, and the second invite has been sent.

Okay, wait -- what happened? Was it me that timed out? Is there a way to tell?

Here's what happened from my perspective:

I took my turn -- I think it was this past Thursday or Friday. I bought something (don't recall what specifically -- possibly an Elder Skeptic or Nook Hound, to complement the two early Tower Askara I had picked up), had 4 runes left over, and used those 4 to buy a Starchild (to try and deny sirjoekcb synergy with the two early Lionheart he had acquired).

On Saturday, I didn't have a notification icon, but decided to check on the game anyway. I saw that the game did show that it was still halfway through my turn (as you mentioned above) -- it showed me as having made my first purchase, but sitting with a balance of 4 runes, and not having bought the Starchild yet. So I repeated my action of buying the Starchild and submitted the turn, and the game showed it was sirjoekcb's turn at that point. I didn't see any error message or anything else unusual.

This morning, I had the "1" notification icon once again, so I fired up Ascension; the first game is gone -- I don't see any result, win or lose -- and I do see the invite for the next game (which I went ahead and accepted).

I'm absolutely not trying to be argumentative here, but is there a way for me to see what happened with game 1? If I did forfeit the game, then we can just play on at this point.

Has anyone else seen an (apparent) bug like this before, where you submit your turn (more than once!) and it looks like it worked on your end, but the server doesn't actually recognize that the turn was submitted?

Dixie_Flatline wrote:
Excellent games, sir. You kept me on my toes, but I had a few lucky breaks, especially the first game where I acquired two Everblooms together in one very early round.
Well thank you! Good to know I wasn't a complete pushover
Those two Everblooms... I remember them, they made me swear just a little...

WolverineJon wrote:
Has anyone else seen an (apparent) bug like this before, where you submit your turn (more than once!) and it looks like it worked on your end, but the server doesn't actually recognize that the turn was submitted?

If you lose connection before you end your turn, it can look like everything was fine, but the server doesn't really know. It's a pain, and I don't know of any way of knowing except checking your games every now and then.