The Binding of Isaac

polypusher wrote:

What is that, 1000% 3 times?
My wife and I stopped playing for achievements, we're mostly just doing Eve runs but still really enjoying it.

Yeah, when I got 1000000% this morning, it changes the icon to "2 saves left to go", but copying the progress to the other two slots gives that, as would legitimately unlocking 1000000% on both other saves, but again, the pile beckons.

All I need to do to get 1000000% is pick up 4 more items, but I think after years of daily play I'm finally burnt out on Isaac.

Definitely got my money's worth - Steam says 811 hours on record, but I'm sure that's wrong, I've surely played more than that.

I got lucky on most of the items with the D100, SackBoy, and the Greed items that drop extra sacks. Usually wound up dropping plenty of batteries and more sacks or Jera runes. Golden chests from the D100 rolls would usually give me more items that could be shuffled with the D100, and I probably got 99% of the items that way.

Somehow got the Bestiary achievement and 100000% without having 6 of the blue monsters, but eh, I'll take it.

Bonus_Eruptus wrote:
polypusher wrote:

What is that, 1000% 3 times?
My wife and I stopped playing for achievements, we're mostly just doing Eve runs but still really enjoying it.

Yeah, when I got 1000000% this morning, it changes the icon to "2 saves left to go", but copying the progress to the other two slots gives that, as would legitimately unlocking 1000000% on both other saves, but again, the pile beckons.

I started an attempt to legitimately do at least the second save. I got all the non-greed mode post-it marks for everybody but the keeper. Then, I realized that I would have to play greed mode and the keeper again so I gave up. There are a few challenges that I was not looking forward to redoing as well.

Little thread necro to talk about Repentance, coming soon (we hope). They keep saying it's basically a sequel at this point. The steam page still says "Expected Release December 31, 2020" but if you google Repentance the preview text on the page says Q2 2021, which is an interesting slip. I fully expect that sad announcement in the next few days, but as usual, better late than bad.

Google preview of steam page wrote:

About This Content. COMING Q2 2021. PRAY FOR REPENTANCE AND BE REBORN. Experience the modern classic, The Binding of Isaac, like you've never seen it before. BIGGER THAN A SEQUEL. THE "FINAL" UPDATE TO THE AWARD-WINNING CLASSIC.

There's been a series of updates just teasing various characters and interactions here. Lots of tasty gifs. I havent been able to figure out where I should play the game. I own everything on Switch and PC. Switch has been a terrible platform for it though. The hardware can't handle how intense the game can get at times and all updates have been extremely slow to make it to the platform (all probably the port/publisher's fault).

I also own the game and expansions on PC but I'd rather play in a more 'public' space in my house so my wife can play and enjoy too. This means probably attempting to set up the Steam Link again, or seeing if a spare old PC can handle the game any better than the Switch, but starting over completely (again)... Im not sure what Im willing to do there! I think I might be ok with it.

Yep, delayed to March 31st

I think we still don't actually know which platforms it will be on at that time.

Out in 2 hours! Yeah fine I'll be the one to carry the torch for a bit. I lugged an old pc down to the game room, because the console versions of this have been a joke. Discovered I hadn't unlocked The Forgotten (heh) on PC. Got him unlocked and cleared all bosses except Super Greed. Really didn't expect him to be a problem but he's just had me for breakfast over and over again. Guess I'll just go into Repentance without that. My only uncleared challenge on pc is Ultra Hard.

Feels like a failing. So close but so far.

I was originally planning to pick it up on release but after hearing about what their doing to the existing game I'm going to hold off, probably until it's super cheap. I was always conflicted about it because Nicalis is a sh*t company lead by a racist asshole but I justified it because the people that made the Antibirth mod would get paid.

But, after hearing that pretty much all of the existing items are going to be rebalanced, I'm out until I see how it plays. I don't trust Edmund to rebalance anything. I'm pretty sure he's actually a sh*t game designer that just got lucky. And, since I'm going to wait, I may as well wait until I can give Nicalis as little money as possible for it.

Super meat boy is fantastic. The sequel without Edmund is lame. The End Is Nigh is also pretty strong. Gish is decent. I'm not delighted by legend of bumbo. Binding of isaac is very good (maybe a bit of a Grind in places)

Seems like a decent hit rate for his post-newgrounds work.

Played a bit at midnight. There are so many new things! I did 3 Eden runs and won 2 of them. I havent figured out any new endings/final bosses but I ran into plenty of new items, levels, mechanics, and bosses. I do think that Hard mode felt harder than before. Pickups seemed rarer, Curse of Darkness feels darker. Stores are very different, seeming to offer a somewhat random number of things. I think the calculus for getting a Devil/Angel room have changed too but I'm not sure how yet.

All in all it's fresh and new, and its still Isaac. Its hard to tell yet if the changes improve the game significantly but for $15 I have no regrets.

Waiting for Switch release So tempted to pick it up on PC but I will resist!

Its gonna be like a year and run like crap...

Supposedly it will come out july - sep.

Took down Mother today on Eden. Tough fight! I just learned about the Tainted character variants yesterday. Looking forward to at least unlocking Tainted Eden and Isaac, maybe Lost just for fun.

Haven't tried Jacob and Esac yet either. Bethany was fun though, got a few bosses down on her. I saw Larsfest play tainted Forgotten. That's an insane character, such a creative design.

Killed The Beast last night. That's a tough series of fights. Of course it was Mom's Knife that got it done in the end Not looking forward to doing that with The Lost!

I'm really having to change up how I play the game. Previously damage was absolutely king and I would routinely ignore health and defensive items to take more DPS items. That just doesn't work anymore, at least on the new paths. Lot of little "exploits" that have been "fixed" as well, so I gotta break a bunch of bad habits!

Question about Cracked Keys

Spoiler:

I was doing the Ascent for the first time and had dropped several trinkets in various item rooms, but no Cracked Keys were made, they remained the original trinket. I made it to Mom's room and the chest contained Red Key (usable item) which I assume is scripted. This let me unlock tainted Eden. However it didnt say anything about that also unlocking Cracked Keys.

I lost to Dogma so if it was locked behind him, its still locked.

Serengeti wrote:

I'm really having to change up how I play the game. Previously damage was absolutely king and I would routinely ignore health and defensive items to take more DPS items.

I definitely felt this too. Although as I'm learning all the new enemy patterns I can lean back in to DPS

polypusher wrote:

Question about Cracked Keys

Spoiler:

I was doing the Ascent for the first time and had dropped several trinkets in various item rooms, but no Cracked Keys were made, they remained the original trinket. I made it to Mom's room and the chest contained Red Key (usable item) which I assume is scripted. This let me unlock tainted Eden. However it didnt say anything about that also unlocking Cracked Keys.

I lost to Dogma so if it was locked behind him, its still locked.

Answering my own question. The first time you don't get the Cracked Keys because they're not unlocked yet. I think picking up the Red Key unlocked cracked keys, or just reaching Home for the first time.

polypusher wrote:
polypusher wrote:

Question about Cracked Keys

Spoiler:

I was doing the Ascent for the first time and had dropped several trinkets in various item rooms, but no Cracked Keys were made, they remained the original trinket. I made it to Mom's room and the chest contained Red Key (usable item) which I assume is scripted. This let me unlock tainted Eden. However it didnt say anything about that also unlocking Cracked Keys.

I lost to Dogma so if it was locked behind him, its still locked.

Answering my own question. The first time you don't get the Cracked Keys because they're not unlocked yet. I think picking up the Red Key unlocked cracked keys, or just reaching Home for the first time.

Judging by when the achievement popped I think it unlocks when you pick up the red key the 1st time

DanB wrote:
Serengeti wrote:

I'm really having to change up how I play the game. Previously damage was absolutely king and I would routinely ignore health and defensive items to take more DPS items.

I definitely felt this too. Although as I'm learning all the new enemy patterns I can lean back in to DPS

I just realised another thing about this. The shops feel less useful on Hard, there feels like a lot more money to pick up but maybe the Shop Item Pool is different. The shops are harder to break and I'm less inclined to buy items from the shop I tend to buy the spirit hearts/health in preference

Just unlocked him and... Tainted Judas is SO MUCH FUN!!!!! Might be my new fav character!

The tainted characters are wonderful. I've got Judas, Isaac, and Eden so far. Tainted Judas is my favorite too. Tainted Isaac is really interesting. You get 8 slots for item pickups so you have to optimize your build as you go. Its an interesting way to play.

Last night I beat The Beast on Eden and got 100% of his post-it. I had homing bomb tears and pyro so it was almost easy.

What makes the console ports so bad?

My only experience is from Switch

1. Very slow updates. You'll get them months after PC
2. Occasionally very bad performance. This'll be in late game when you have some crazy sh*t happening like the screen covered in large, split, status-effect bearing, spectral tears for example.

Mostly the wait is what killed Isaac on Switch for me. I hooked up an 10 year old PC in the game room instead. Yes, it runs the game better than the Switch port.

You guys... Ipecac and Tech X are so fun together now! Try this seed I just got - N0PA XTA9

Right. Got my post-it filled for all the base characters, unlocked all the tainted characters and have completed tainted Isaac. I think I may have to stop for now, got to play something else as a palate cleanser before I really work on the tainted characters

Still waiting on an announcement for the switch release