2012 Community Game of the Year - And the winner is...

Pages

BNice wrote:
philucifer wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:

The original post has now been updated with the winners!

Edit: If you'd like to see the raw vote totals, you can view them here.

Wow, Darksiders 2 got only one vote total? (And from me, no less.) I would have thought it was a high-enough-profile game in 2012 to at least get a few nods.

I guess that settles the age-old question for this community...

I really enjoyed the first half of the game. The second half felt rushed as the last world and dungeon felt barren and short. There was also the awful level with the shooting and the non-existent story. It did have one of my favorite tracks this year:

You like it because it's Jesper Kyd! You might enjoy this interview.

Tanglebones wrote:

Can't complain about the results; I've yet to play Dishonored or X-Com, but had I had time, I'm sure they'd have made my list. My only regret is CK2 being edged out of the 10th spot, but whaddayagonnado?

I'm just psyched it did as well as it did.

Rykin wrote:

I am amazed FTL was beaten by Mass Effect 3. FTL had some crazy community buzz around here and sometimes I feel like I am one of the few people who loved ME3 ;)

Yeah, I was surprised, too, but think about it from another perspective.... FTL was written by a couple of guys in a garage, and it's almost as popular with us as the mega-millions blockbuster written by one of the biggest gaming companies in the world.

ZaneRockfist wrote:
Dyni wrote:

Thanks Clock!

My GOTY has been community number 6 two years running. Interesting. It's pretty weird seeing a downloadable PS3 exclusive on the GWJ GOTY list.

Not so weird when it is so awesome. I have only seen videos of it, but damn, it is amazing.

Sure, but weird from the perspective that a large portion of this community doesn't game on or even own a PS3.

BAH! I thought XCOM had this year in the bag. Thwarted by democracy again.

nel e nel wrote:
Rykin wrote:

I am amazed FTL was beaten by Mass Effect 3. FTL had some crazy community buzz around here and sometimes I feel like I am one of the few people who loved ME3 ;)

FTL is a platform exclusive, so there are many of us who haven't even played it.

It runs on my 6-year-old laptop that is a piece of junk though. People could run in on their work computers with an intel graphics chip. It's not hardware intensive. Everyone should have it.

Stele wrote:
nel e nel wrote:
Rykin wrote:

I am amazed FTL was beaten by Mass Effect 3. FTL had some crazy community buzz around here and sometimes I feel like I am one of the few people who loved ME3 ;)

FTL is a platform exclusive, so there are many of us who haven't even played it.

It runs on my 6-year-old laptop that is a piece of junk though. People could run in on their work computers with an intel graphics chip. It's not hardware intensive. Everyone should have it.

THIS

I can run FTL on my work laptop with an Intel HD 3000. Just about any (modern) computer can run it.

I seriously cannot wait for it to be ported to iOS, and I will buy it all over again.

Honestly, I would have been fine with any order of the top 4. Besides, in the end, aren't we all winners?

Thanks Mr. Clocky!

Malor wrote:
Rykin wrote:

I am amazed FTL was beaten by Mass Effect 3. FTL had some crazy community buzz around here and sometimes I feel like I am one of the few people who loved ME3 ;)

Yeah, I was surprised, too, but think about it from another perspective.... FTL was written by a couple of guys in a garage, and it's almost as popular with us as the mega-millions blockbuster written by one of the biggest gaming companies in the world.

Hear hear! Even though FTL was significantly higher on my list than ME3 (#2 and #8 respectively), I know lots of people really liked ME3, so it's very cool to see FTL end up as #4.

If I'd had just a few days more with Mark of the Ninja I would have put it 2nd on my list instead of 5th. That would have put it above Borderlands 2 in the overall ranking! Small margins...

LOVE Mark of the Ninja, to the point that all other stealth games appear broken to me.

Stele wrote:
nel e nel wrote:
Rykin wrote:

I am amazed FTL was beaten by Mass Effect 3. FTL had some crazy community buzz around here and sometimes I feel like I am one of the few people who loved ME3 ;)

FTL is a platform exclusive, so there are many of us who haven't even played it.

It runs on my 6-year-old laptop that is a piece of junk though. People could run in on their work computers with an intel graphics chip. It's not hardware intensive. Everyone should have it.

Except us poor unwashed console gamers I am willing to make an exception for a few games (basically Starcraft series and Minecraft at this point and I would for Journey if it was on Steam) but nothing I have heard about this game has made me think I would enjoy it anymore than I have ever enjoyed any Rogue-like before (which is never). If there was a demo (especially a Mac demo since it is available for Mac which surprises me a bit) I would be willing to check it out.

Rykin wrote:

Except us poor unwashed console gamers ;)

Unless you're typing that post on a phone/tablet, you have a PC/Mac that will play FTL. Seriously, the requirements are low.

It's been $5 on the developer site for most of the last couple weeks. They give you a DRM-free copy and a Steam code. It's worth that multiple times over.

Rykin wrote:

nothing I have heard about this game has made me think I would enjoy it anymore than I have ever enjoyed any Rogue-like before (which is never).

As I've stated elsewhere, I've never been a fan of roguelikes, but I love FTL.

Stele wrote:

It's been $5 on the developer site for most of the last couple weeks. They give you a DRM-free copy and a Steam code. It's worth that multiple times over.

As much as that is true, it seems that Rykin is unwilling to pay even $1. Oh well. His loss.

MeatMan wrote:
Rykin wrote:

nothing I have heard about this game has made me think I would enjoy it anymore than I have ever enjoyed any Rogue-like before (which is never).

As I've stated elsewhere, I've never been a fan of roguelikes, but I love FTL.

Stele wrote:

It's been $5 on the developer site for most of the last couple weeks. They give you a DRM-free copy and a Steam code. It's worth that multiple times over.

As much as that is true, it seems that Rykin is unwilling to pay even $1. Oh well. His loss. ;)

I might do $1 But my dislike of Rogue-likes is strong enough and my pile is deep enough that I am completely meh here. Also I don't buy games on platforms I don't like playing games on (i.e. Mac/PC/iOS) unless it is something very appealing to me that I can't play anywhere else and even then I don't usually play it (see Dear Esther). I got one of the Humble Bundles and haven't touched any of the games (but $8 or whatever was totes worth it for the Bastion soundtrack).

I was never able to wrangle my Top 10 best of the year list together, but I'm really glad to see the list turn out the way it did. I'm super happy to see Mass Effect 3 so high, as it would have been my personal #1.

Wish I would've had time to throw my own list up here! But I just had to comment and say: What a great thread and the OP looks fantastic Clockwork! Kudos on wrangling everyone in and getting an awesome turn out for the year end!

McIrishJihad wrote:
Stele wrote:

It runs on my 6-year-old laptop that is a piece of junk though. People could run in on their work computers with an intel graphics chip. It's not hardware intensive. Everyone should have it.

THIS
I can run FTL on my work laptop with an Intel HD 3000. Just about any (modern) computer can run it.
I seriously cannot wait for it to be ported to iOS, and I will buy it all over again.

And chances are, you won't be alone. I can't wait to have my Kestrel blown to pieces all over again, on my iPad. Oh yeah... Just can't wait!

Very interesting. Thanks for doing this ClockworkHouse.

Very interesting line-up of games. Bummed none of my choices featured, but it's a really eclectic selection.

And I'll echo the mad props to Clockwork for putting this together.

Edited out for redundancy, list is on page 1.

Pages